Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2010, 04:02 AM
Fan Forum Hero

5x08 - "The Hungry Earth" Episode Discussion

5x08 - The Hungry Earth

Quote:
It's 2015 and the most ambitious drilling project in history has reached deeper beneath the Earth's crust than man has ever gone before - but now the ground itself is fighting back. And when the Doctor, Amy and Rory arrive in a tiny mining village it's not long before they find themselves plunged into a battle against a deadly danger from a bygone age.
Saturday, 22 May 18.15, BBC One
Old 05-21-2010, 04:50 AM
Part-Time Fan

Thanks for starting this thread!!

During the classic series the alien in this episode was considered 'infamous' - not many people liked the episodes they were in. Will be interesting to see how they have changed the alien to suit the more modern audience.

Looking forward to it!!!!
forestfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:42 PM
Elite Fan

New episode tomorrow

Really looking forward to see more Rory&Amy&Doctor action
|it's about time
Mrs.Almeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:54 PM
Extreme Fan

I am hoping for more epic Doctor/Amy scenes

MUSIC / TV SHOWS / MOVIES
dreamer extraordinaire. happy wife.
Mimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:17 PM
Extreme Fan

wow! when Amy was pulled down into the Earth
and they way The Doctor tried to pull her up
and was holding onto her hands

and when he was all:
"Amy! concentrate.."
and then the frustration when he said
"don't give up!"

and the "Amy! No! No! No! No!
and........"She's gone! the ground took her"

heartbreaking....yet still so EPIC
gosh...I got shivers when I saw it
and felt both their "pain"

MUSIC / TV SHOWS / MOVIES
dreamer extraordinaire. happy wife.
Mimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:36 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I hate double episodes! But Part 2 looks like a heart stopper.

First could those shorts Amy wore be any shorter? It's a shame this was an Amy lite ep but still some great lines "You promised me Rio" Also glade Rory bought up the sonic thing with wood.

What I don't get is it this is them in 10 years why don't they remember the Doctor or is that part of the time crack thing?
lancer1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:47 PM
Elite Fan

That was a very enjoyable episode, I must say. Really liked the set up and the characters.

Favourite one-liner of the week?
- Oi! Don't diss the sonic!
|it's about time
Old 05-23-2010, 06:29 AM
Part-Time Fan

Dont know whether it was because they used a classic series alien, but did anyone else think that by the way the episode was written and shot, made it feel like a classic doctor who episode? Or was that just me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer1993 (View Post)
What I don't get is it this is them in 10 years why don't they remember the Doctor or is that part of the time crack thing?
I think they DO remember the doctor. Thats why they came down to wave hello. But they have probably had a speech about how they can't actually interact with their past self otherwise the universe will implode....or something.
forestfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:41 AM
Elite Fan

Surely the Doctor must have been joking when he said that it was Amy and Rory waving at them. He just blew the ending for the finale.

As River would say: "spoilers"

Quote:
Dont know whether it was because they used a classic series alien, but did anyone else think that by the way the episode was written and shot, made it feel like a classic doctor who episode? Or was that just me?
No, it's not just you. I thought it felt very old school Who.

That's one of the things I loved about it.

Last edited by scififan2009; 05-23-2010 at 06:59 AM
scififan2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:20 AM
Master Fan

I've been getting an old-school vibe from time to time this year, but it was particularly strong this ep. And really old school, like they're looking back to the first few Doctors for inspiration.

I think maybe one reason this ep felt more old-school than most was that the ratio of talking to action was rather high. The Doctor spent an awful lot of time talking. Not that I'm complaining, I liked what he was saying, but there it is. The only thing I didn't like was how he kept convincing people to trust him, only to turn around and let them down. He's going to lose all credibility if he keeps doing that.

For a Silurian ep, it seemed to follow a familiar pattern, where the Doctor is determined to work out some peaceful agreement between humans and Silurians, though neither side seems willing to play along. If past is prologue, expect someone to blow up the Silurian city at the end.

I kinda liked the fact that they didn't overplay the reveal that the Silurians had returned to the series in this ep. If anything, the Doctor was decidedly low key when he first called them Silurians. They could have easily been some other monster invented for the new series.

Overall, I thought it was a pretty average story with a few highlights and a few weak moments.
Raonaild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:28 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scififan2009 (View Post)
Surely the Doctor must have been joking when he said that it was Amy and Rory waving at them. He just blew the ending for the finale
Remember "time can be rewritten"? I haven't seen the Confidential yet but apparently there is a deleted scene in that where they talk about waving to their future selfs and just because it happened there it doesn't mean it will happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer1993 (View Post)
Huh? We only saw the future!selfs of Amy and Rory from afar. How do you know they don't remember the Doctor?
|it's about time
Old 05-23-2010, 11:20 AM
Master Fan

Even before the cracks this year, the Doctor has said on numerous occassions that time can be changed. For example, back in The Unquiet Dead, Rose says that the Gelf plan can't possibly work because there weren't corpses walking around in her time, and the Doctor tells her that "time is always in flux" and that nothing is safe.

The other thing I've often thought when watching DW is that, even knowing what the outcome should be, that outcome won't happen if the Doctor and friends stand around and do nothing. And just knowing how things should happen could change the outcome if it causes them to act differently.

In this ep for example, they could say that Amy will be fine, because future Amy came by and waved so she must survive. But that isn't going to happen if they don't act in the present. And she may not survive if they don't take her disappearance as seriously as they would have otherwise if they hadn't seen FutureAmy.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:29 AM
Elite Fan

I kind of want to think of this future!self thing as something important. Who knows, maybe they had to appear there so Amy will fight for Rory Or it is important so that someone will do something soon.
|it's about time
Old 05-23-2010, 11:41 AM
Master Fan

It did seem a bit odd.

I don't know about anyone else, but I got the impression watching the ep that maybe the Doctor wasn't telling Amy and Rory the whole truth about the encounter. As far as they know, the Doctor could have been lying.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:11 PM
Elite Fan

If had that impression ever since the first episode. That bit when he stands in the TARDIS with Amy and the screen flickers, showing that image of the crack - the way he looks at the screen and at her ... just seems a bit off to me
|it's about time
Reply   Post New Thread