Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2010, 10:08 PM
Elite Fan

5x07 - "Amy's Choice" Episode Discussion

5x07 - Amy's Choice

Quote:
It's been five years since Amy Pond last travelled with the Doctor and when he lands in her garden again, on the eve of the birth of her first child, she finds herself facing a heartbreaking choice - one that will change her life for ever.

Saturday, 15 May 18.25, BBC One
|it's about time
Mrs.Almeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:29 PM
Extreme Fan

I am rly stoked for this episode
it looks awesome!

I love that picture...aww!

MUSIC / TV SHOWS / MOVIES
dreamer extraordinaire. happy wife.
Mimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:37 PM
Elite Fan

Oh yes, I am really looking forward to this one, too.
Even though, I am sure it will make me cry
|it's about time
Old 05-14-2010, 03:24 AM
Extreme Fan

I have a feeling the scene in my GIF will make me cry
ugh...

I just love their "epic moments"

Old 05-14-2010, 03:27 AM
Fan Forum Hero

SO EXCITED this episode looks like it's going to be a good one

And yeah, I'm making sure I have tissues ready just in case
Old 05-14-2010, 03:51 AM
Extreme Fan

can't wait to meet the Dream Lord

Old 05-15-2010, 02:24 PM
Elite Fan

Now that was a great episode! I think I even liked it best so far

I loved the first bit and the best line of the whole episode was definitely "You swallowed a planet"

I got reminded of the Father Ted episode "Night of the nearly dead" a lot
But what I really liked about this was that they finally dealt with Rory and Amy. And I think they did a great job

Really enjoyable, even if it was really creepy.
|it's about time
Old 05-15-2010, 02:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Nice episode.

Amy really loves Rory and I'm liking him more each week.

LOL the TARDIS has a swimming pool!
lancer1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:56 PM
Elite Fan

Well, that was stranger than usual.

But that's cool. This is Doctor Who.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:09 PM
Master Fan

Copying over from another site:

Nice idea. It wasn't quite as exciting as I had hoped but it was good (also: old people are creepy, yes?). I'm not sure what to make of the pollen solution. It just seemed to come out of nowhere and just sort of a way to find an explanation. I wonder what'll come of this, if we'll hear more about it or not.
I loved how cute Karen/Amy looked when she was all frozen up.
I'm still not too keen on Rory. Idk, but he's getting on my nerves. Pregnant Amy was a sight to behold though. Gorgeous. ♥

Loved the whole dilemma in the episode about dream and reality. It's opened up a big box of possible discussions and maybe we'll include something like this in an activity. (Maybe!) Also found the end of doom () very interesting what with the Doctor seeing the other one again. I am glad that they cleared up the whole Rory/Amy thing because up till now their relationship was sort of hanging in the air, even though I am not happy with the result (that's the 11/Amy shipper in me speaking).
Old 05-15-2010, 03:19 PM
Ultimate Fan

I mostly enjoyed this episode.

Loved a lot of the one liners, loved Amy faking having the baby to make the Doctor stop saying 'her' world was boring , loved the Dreamlord's insight into the Doctor's dark side, loved Rory, etc.

What I didn't love though was the way they went about to have Amy make her choice. Her pregnancy should have weighed in for something and Rory dying in one world in this episode does not make enough of an emotional build up for it to come down to Amy not wanting to live in a world where he's not there. Amy's characterisation deserved something better than that IMHO.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:00 PM
Master Fan

I loved most of the episode. The whole idea behind it was brilliant. Loved some of the one-liners and the funny bits.

There was just one thing that I didn't like: the reason behind Amy's choice - don't get me wrong I like Rory, but come on she was pregnant and I'm supposed to believe she'd just risk that cos she couldn't bear to live without him eventhough just one episode before she didn't even seem that keen on him!!
Don't buy it to be honest. I like Rory and I like Amy, but I just don't think the two have chemistry so I can't just enjoy the scenes that much (and this isn't cos I love Amy/Doctor, cos I could live with them just as great friends )
Old 05-15-2010, 04:41 PM
Obsessed Fan

I loved the episode!

And I guess unlike a lot of people, I loved how Amy made her choice. (But then again: I'm complete Amy/Rory and dead set against any romantic Amy/Doctor.) So this was an episode I've been waiting for: for Amy to realize that she doesn't want The Doctor.

But once AGAIN, they're doing Amy and River parallels:

Dream Lord: "Oh, is that who you think you are? The one he trusts?"
Amy: "Actually, yes."
Dream Lord: "The only girl in the universe to whom The Doctor tells everything!"
Amy: "Yes!"
Dream Lord: "So, what's his name?"

I still hope Amy is not River. But I don't understand why Moffat would be paralleling them so much (even right down to costumes: they wear the same gold watch) if he didn't plan on making it mean something. I just can't put my finger on what it is. (But I do take a special glee in knowing River is still the only girl in the universe who knows The Doctor's everything, name and all! )

And while it probably has nothing to do with nothing, I love that the swimming pool was mentioned again. 'Cause it's in the library. And The Library is where he first met River.

ETA: And the fact that we saw the Dream Lord's face in the reflection again makes me wonder if this plot (or some aspect thereof) is not over yet. The Doctor seemed pretty freaked to notice the reflection and the music changed at that point too, then he looked again and saw himself... Does that mean not all the pollen is gone?
Princess Pinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:50 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Even though it was not mentioned did the creepy old people/aliens run away to Earth because of the time crack?
lancer1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:13 PM
Master Fan

I liked it. Not the best, but I enjoyed it quite a lot - I've been waiting for a TARDIS-based episode for ages, and that's basically what this was. The TARDIS bits reminded me a bit of the Hartnell story Edge of Destruction, where they were all stuck in the TARDIS but weren't sure exactly what was going on.

My one major criticism of the ep was that the logic of the story was rather convoluted. I think that was saved in the end though by the explanation that the whole situation was a product of the Doctor's mind, so that justified the fact that it was convoluted and complicated. Watching the ep the second time through, it helped to think of the "Dream Lord" as the darker part of the Doctor's subconscious talking to him, making him doubt himself and saying things to Rory and Amy that he would have thought but might never have said himself. For anyone who's familiar Red Dwarf, the Dream Lord reminded me a bit of Lister's Paranoia from Confidence & Paranoia (but with a personality better suited to the Doctor).

I was also really glad in the end that the bit in the TARDIS also turned out to be a dream, because that whole "cold star" business was nonsense - the average temperature of space is round about 3 Kelvin, you don't need a "cold star" for a TARDIS with no heating to get cold if it's hanging about in space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer1993 (View Post)
Even though it was not mentioned did the creepy old people/aliens run away to Earth because of the time crack?
That was all a dream, so if they were on earth because of the crack, it would only be an indication that the Doctor and friends were worried about the crack and so included that in their dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Pinky (View Post)
ETA: And the fact that we saw the Dream Lord's face in the reflection again makes me wonder if this plot (or some aspect thereof) is not over yet. The Doctor seemed pretty freaked to notice the reflection and the music changed at that point too, then he looked again and saw himself... Does that mean not all the pollen is gone?
I don't think that reflection had anything to do with pollen, it had to do with the fact that the "Dream Lord" was the Doctor. Whatever the Dream Lord said came from the Doctor's brain, it doesn't go away because the pollen does. I think the events of this episode will have consequences in the future not because the Dream Lord will be back necessarily, but because it made them all face some questions that they've been avoiding. The fact that Amy needed to choose between the Doctor and Rory, for instance, and what sort of future she wants.

ETA: One other thing - we discussed in the last ep how the Doctor's tie/braces colour changed in the eps so far, red for future, blue for past. In this ep, he was wearing red on the TARDIS, and blue in the village. At one point, the Doctor actually looked at his blue braces a bit puzzled, and I was waiting for him to suddenly reveal that the "tell" about which part was real and which was the dream had something to do with the colour of his braces Because, obviously, if he met up with Rory and Amy in the future, he should have been wearing red, not blue
Raonaild is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread