Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2010, 03:29 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, maybe if I had taken a better look at it, it would have clicked but then again, pretty much all the character descriptions I've read of her had also said she'd be a police woman! Oh well, I guess I'm just slow, but I was pleasantly surprised it would have been a bit too Gwen for me otherwise. I love Gwen, like, if she wanted me to (and were real) I'd marry her yesterday, but yeah. Love that Amy is something else entirely

Quote:
This is how most people must have felt after Nine regenerated! I feel so stupid now for being all "OMG NEW SHOW IT'S GOING TO BE TOTALLY DIFFERENT WAAAAAH I WANT DT".
Yeah, but back then it was still RTD and the same crew and everything else was also the same. I wasn't as worried about Matt taking over as I was about the entire crew being different too - I just didn't know how much they were going to change. I'm so glad with how it all turned out

Quote:
I also LOVED the way Amy/Amelia met the Doctor. Nice twist on the standard companion-introduction story
Yes, same here! I got so excited once we saw little Amelia and it clicked that she'd know him from a really early age on, I thought that was so cute, and it'll make for a really interesting chemistry between them because she basically feels she's known him all her life - which definitely puts a different spin on it. I love that!
Old 04-03-2010, 08:34 PM
New Fan

I loved it. I wasn't sure that I would gonna love it it as much as I did the old RTD era of DW cuz I thought it be totally different. It was a bit different but still seem like it was the same if that makes sense.

I love 11/Amy again wasn't sure I was gonna like them or if they have good chemistry but they proved me wrong. I love child Amy and I like the little twist on the companion/doctor relationship.

I also wasn't sure if I was gonna like the new Tardis because from seeing pictures before hand the new Tardis look a bit tacky but I thought the outside look better than I thought and I loved the inside.

Basically I wasn't sure how I wasn't take the new series because of all the changes but overall based on the first episode of the series I love it just as much as the RTD ones.
Daydreamer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:39 PM
Master Fan

I was a bit worried too, not sure how much they'd change things and how much I'd like Matt Smith - but I really liked the ep, and I liked the intro to Eleven (though it's hard to judge a new Doctor from a regeneration ep, they tend to change a bit over time). I really enjoyed the Christmas Invasion at the time too, but I think overall I liked the introduction to Eleven better than Ten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speak slow (View Post)
it's just... IT'S DOCTOR WHO! for some reason I had expected it to be some whole new show because of all the changes, but it still felt exactly the same as watching an episode of Nine, or an episode of Ten. It just felt like Doctor Who.
While it all still feels like Doctor Who, to me it actually felt a bit different than the seasons with Nine and Ten. I didn't really see much of a change when the Ninth Doctor regenerated, because the overall tone of the series didn't change much. To me, The Eleventh Hour felt a bit more, I don't know ... grounded, more subtle, more small character moments. The RTD series felt a bit cartoony in comparison, too broad, too big and flashy. The Eleventh Hour had excitement, suspense and humour, and the Doctor is as mad as ever, but it felt a bit more .. mature I guess.

One of my favourite lines in the ep? When the Doctor got a new screwdriver from the TARDIS console, and said, "Thanks, dear." I might've actually "Aww"ed out loud at that point.

There were a few things I didn't like about the ep, but these were relatively minor: I didn't much like the new opening, neither the time tunnel nor the music, and I didn't like that bit by the "duck pond" where the Doctor was trying to figure out what was wrong with the picture, and the camera zoomed up to all of those people. I'd be quite happy if they never did that again. I'm rather indifferent to the changes to the TARDIS so far too (both inside and out) - seemed a bit like change for the sake of change.
Raonaild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:03 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Love the new Doctor and the show, it has new life and the preview for the season ahead looks fantastic.
Spoiler:

BTW - I think both of the most recent Doctors have been fantastic, still love the first scene with Rose, "I'm the Doctor, RUN!"
lancer1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:55 AM
Extreme Fan

Hello Really enjoyed the episode as a whole. I can't say I was very taken with the new mix of the theme tune or the opening credits, but it got a lot better from there on in.

I thought it was an original take on meeting a companion and I really enojyed that. I thought it was hilarious when she had made ber boyfriend dress up as the doctor when they were little, and when all of her friends and family were like 'It's him!' Very sweet.

Matt Smith I liked. He was out there enough but not overboard. I even liked it when he clicked and the tardis doors opened. There's something about when Ten did that that really grated on me, and it just felt out of character for him, but it just seemed a bit cheeky when Eleven did it.

And I liked the Amy character, and the little glimpse we had of her family, and that she lived in this quirky little english village- wow people do live outside of London!
Old 04-04-2010, 09:37 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllsBells (View Post)
And I liked the Amy character, and the little glimpse we had of her family, and that she lived in this quirky little english village- wow people do live outside of London!
Sssh! don't tell the BBC that it breaks their charter, I think, to mention that places outside london exist! (Bitter person from the Midlands here! )

SiriuslyPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:46 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriuslyPotter (View Post)
Sssh! don't tell the BBC that it breaks their charter, I think, to mention that places outside london exist! (Bitter person from the Midlands here! )
That makes two of us then!! Always thought it was a tad strange that considering the doctor has all of time and space at his disposal that all the humans he meets live in the Captial!
Old 04-04-2010, 09:51 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Craig - no need to put that behind spoiler tags, since it's been in the trailer

Quote:
you're right, I hadn't thought about that yet but it's absolutely true!

Quote:
While it all still feels like Doctor Who, to me it actually felt a bit different than the seasons with Nine and Ten. I didn't really see much of a change when the Ninth Doctor regenerated, because the overall tone of the series didn't change much. To me, The Eleventh Hour felt a bit more, I don't know ... grounded, more subtle, more small character moments. The RTD series felt a bit cartoony in comparison, too broad, too big and flashy. The Eleventh Hour had excitement, suspense and humour, and the Doctor is as mad as ever, but it felt a bit more .. mature I guess.
I didn't mean exactly the same of course, it definitely had some subtle differences - like you said, it felt a bit more mature (which I really liked) and it was proper creepy at times, but that has always been true for Moffat's episodes, like Blink or Girl in the Fireplace or the Library two parter. I just wasn't sure what to expect before the season started because they had basically been at liberty to change up a whole lot of things - and I'm just glad that they didn't so that it still felt like the same show, like this really is season 5, a continuation, instead of a whole new take on the show, as some people had been speculating that it would be.

I've been itching to watch this episode again but I won't have time until tomorrow evening
Old 04-04-2010, 10:21 AM
Elite Fan

"Who Da Man!?"

Old 04-04-2010, 10:23 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by scififan2009 (View Post)
"Who Da Man!?"

that was hilarious especially everyone's reactions to it
Old 04-04-2010, 01:11 PM
Addicted Fan

God damn Matt Smith/Eleven, how did you make me fall in love with you so quickly?!

Well that was quite frankly AMAZING. I had a feeling it would be good but I honestly didn't think it would be quite that good. I feel that it was a great introduction to Eleven and I loved him munching his way through the food in Amy's house at the beginning I liked that as a regeneration effect!

"You're Scottish, Fry something!" made me giggle I was almost thinking 'Would Scots be offended by that?' but it was just too funny Little Amelia/Amy was so cute. I got a little teary when she started packing up her belongings and sat outside waiting for the Doctor...aww

I thought the older Amy was awesome. She seems really strong and independant and Karen and Matt have a definite chemistry I can't wait to see how this Doctor and companion relationship turns out because so far, it looks really good

Quote:
"Who Da Man!?"
Best line ever. Seriously I was in hysterics. Genius and Matt delievered it so well. He's really sold me on Eleven just after one episode. Eleven seems rather eccentric and I really like that I agree that at times he reminded me of Ten a little but then again it's purely because he has regenerated. He's still going to have some of his previous incarnations mannerisms while he works out who he is. Still I like having that connection to past Doctors so I didn't see a problem with it at all

In terms of the storyline, I thought it was slightly confusing at times but I managed to understand it eventually. I'll be rewatching this again so it'll probably make more sense on repeated viewings Still the storyline really wasn't that important to me. I wanted to get to know the new Doctor and companion and I think that's exactly what happened.

A truly wonderful episode and definitely one of my favourite series openers ever.

Well Done Matt, Karen and Moff

We are all stories in the end
Ms X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:20 PM
Elite Fan

So ... basically? SO.MUCH.LOVE.

I knew I would love it but I would have never guessed I would love it that much. It was the show I fell in love with, the same epic, adorable, bonkers show it's always been ... and yet it was also so different.

I will have to watch it again and again in the following week to even get the whole greatness of it all.

There were only tiny bits I did not like (ie Eleven dropping Ten's suit like nothing) and so many, many wonderful things.

Yeah, like I said: Will have to watch it again before writing down a more coherent review.
|it's about time
Mrs.Almeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:41 PM
Obsessed Fan

The season premiere was AMAZING!

I've only seen NuWho and I've had a chance to see Eccelston, Tennant, and Smith in the role. David has been my favorite so far (I wasn't impressed with Chris) and I feared that Matt may not live up to the love I have for David, but he quickly became my second favorite Doctor last night. I adore him! (Even if I do miss David and found myself comparing little gestures and things from time to time.)

I'm really not on board with the new theme music and title sequence, but minus those things, I'm so on board with everything else! I love Amy! (The name Amelia Pond is like a fairytale. ) She's funny and fresh and I loved how she was introduced. The acting, the script, everything was just sparkling.

I especially loved all the subtle and not-so-subtle nods to the older episodes. I caught a lot of them from NuWho and I've heard many people say there were several from Classic Who as well. My favorite, of course, was The Doctor opening the TARDIS with a snap of his fingers! Slowly but surely, he's becoming River Song's Doctor!

Speaking of River, I was out of my head when I saw the seasonal promo! The River Song episodes cannot come fast enough! The best is definitely yet to come. (And if it's better than "Silence in the Library," "Forest of the Dead," and "Blink," !)

I'm also quite intrigued by the crack in the universe (which I noticed looked exactly like the line on the screen at the end of the episode) and the Pandorical situation and impending silence. This season's arc is going to be brilliant, I can just feel it! I just hope this doesn't mean the return of the parallel world. I like it being sealed off for good.

The only thing I'm still a little confused about is the duck pond business. I felt like it should've had a deeper meaning, but I guess I didn't get it. I was also a little confused about the "what did I see?" thing. It felt a little too Sherlock Holmes for. I hope that they don't do that again. It worked well I guess since this episode had the sight/eye theme to it, but I'd just prefer they don't continually do that special effect thing.

And naturally, I cannot wait for next week! The premiere was well worth the agonizingly long wait and SM at the helm, I know it can only get better!
Princess Pinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:49 AM
Elite Fan

Doctor Who: Matt Smith attracts 8m viewers - exactly the same as Tennant's first show | Mail Online

Although, I think that the comparison between how David played his Doctor and how Matt does it now should not be made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Pinky (View Post)
I'm also quite intrigued by the crack in the universe (which I noticed looked exactly like the line on the screen at the end of the episode)
So that was, what it was Somehow that did not make any sense to me.

Also, I love the new title sequence!
|it's about time
Mrs.Almeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:46 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms X (View Post)
"You're Scottish, Fry something!" made me giggle I was almost thinking 'Would Scots be offended by that?' but it was just too funny Little Amelia/Amy was so cute. I got a little teary when she started packing up her belongings and sat outside waiting for the Doctor...aww
Well, the writer is Scottish so I suppose it's allowed.
Me too, but I loved how the Doctor seemed genuinely sorrry even when he thought he was only 6 months late.

Last edited by SiriuslyPotter; 04-05-2010 at 05:36 AM
SiriuslyPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread