Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2008, 04:21 AM
Fan Forum Hero

4x04 "The Sontaran Stratagem" Episode Discussion

THE SONTARAN STRATAGEM
by Helen Raynor

Quote:
Martha Jones summons the Doctor back to modern-day Earth, but an old enemy lies in wait.

The Doctor ...... David Tennant
Donna Noble ...... Catherine Tate
Martha Jones ...... Freema Agyeman
Wilfred Mott ...... Bernard Cribbins
Sylvia Noble ...... Jacqueline King
Luke Rattigan ...... Ryan Sampson
Colonel Mace ...... Rupert Holliday Evans
General Staal ...... Christopher Ryan
Commander Skorr ...... Dan Starkey
Jo Nakashima ...... Eleanor Matsuura
Private Harris ...... Clive Standen
Private Gray ...... Wesley Theobald
Ross Jenkins ...... Christian Cooke
Worker ...... Rad Kaim
Atmos Voice ...... Elizabeth Ryder
Saturday 26th April, 6:20pm BBC One
Old 04-25-2008, 07:03 AM
Total Fan

Considering how indifferent I was to Martha all of last season I got very excited when she popped up in the preview for this episode

Preview from Radio Times:
Spoiler:

What a great word 'roistering' is
Old 04-25-2008, 07:14 AM
Fan Forum Hero

thanks for bringing that over!

I'm a bit wary about this two-parter, mainly because it's written by Helen Raynor, who wrote Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks last year, and those are easily my least favourite episodes of the new series so far. But I'm hoping that these will be a lot better!
Old 04-25-2008, 07:29 AM
Total Fan

I wasn't keen on that two-parter either so let's hope this is better I'm sure it will be - if only to laugh at the potato heads
Old 04-25-2008, 09:38 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintedxlie (View Post)
thanks for bringing that over!

I'm a bit wary about this two-parter, mainly because it's written by Helen Raynor, who wrote Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks last year, and those are easily my least favourite episodes of the new series so far. But I'm hoping that these will be a lot better!
Helen Raynor also wrote Torchwood's To the Last Man and Ghost Machine, both of which I really liked.
I don't really blame DiM/EoTd on the script either.

Very excited for this episode, will be great to see Martha again.

SiriuslyPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:10 PM
Loyal Fan

I was not looking forward to this episode, but it surprised me. It's not the type of episode that I wanna go back and watch again, or will want to watch again and again in the future, but it was entertaining enough now.

Donna was amazing, as always. Her reunion scene with her grandpa was so sweet. I really hope nothing happens to him, that he gets out of the car ok because I really like him.

Martha wasn't as annoying as I thought she'd be. I'm not a fan. She still got on my nerves but there was so much going on I wasn't really concerned with her. Evil clone Martha should be interesting.

That little genius guy got on my nerves. He was such a brat, I wanted to smack him!

I loved the Doctor geeking out at the academy. He's so cute.

The Sontarans were less than threatening. The scariest part to me was the end, with the gas. And the woman in the beginning going into the water. The Sontarans really were Potato Heads.

I don't know what to think of U.N.I.T. They're pretty scary, and I can't help but think of their history with Tosh in Torchwood. Makes me wary of them.

All in all, not a that bad. Not that great. We'll see how it plays out next week.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:58 PM
Fan Forum Hero

How much did I love this episode? So much! I still like last weeks better but it was wonderful.

Martha! I love Martha! I almost love everything about Martha, she's funny, strong and made of awesome. Doctor/Martha greeting FTW!

I always love when they bring in aliens from previous seasons because the connection really does make it seem like a continuation of the show rather than just a "new" version. I know we call it New Who all the time but the connection really thrills me.

Donna/Martha make a good team. I'm all on the strong capable women train though Donna still gets on my nerves. I swear when I thought she was serious about leaving the Doctor I rolled my eyes. I was about to tell my computer screen "make up your mind already" when she called the Doctor a "dumbo".

"You know the doctor, he's wonderful, he's brilliant but he's like fire, stand too close people get burned" - I loved that bit. Companions families have been put in a lot of danger and I'm glad someone has finally acknowledged that.

I also really loved this line: "that's not a very good nickname, what if you get defeated 'Starl-the-not-quite-so-undefeated-anymore-but-nevermind'" - cheeky doctor.

No Martha clone. And why was I wanting Martha to mention Jack so badly I could taste it? Hopefully the ending episode is as good.
Wayward Melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:17 AM
Dedicated Fan

Whoot! Helen has totally redeemed herself from the Daleks in Manhattan thing from s3. This episode was great! I thought it was fantastic with some great lines, particularly those Mandy mentioned! Im hanging on for the second part! I can't wait.

and for my second part, I Really loved Confidential this week as well, I dont know why I just thought it was a great behind the scenes episode. Best one so this season I think.
"He needs you, That's very me"
Icon Credit: The Daily Mail
TearlessPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:23 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm glad you liked it. Huzzah! I ship D/R but I love the heck outta Martha and I literally bounced in my chair when I saw Freema's name in the credits. Hopefully the Doctor will notice that clone!Martha isn't his Martha. Come on Doctor, be astute.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:34 AM
Master Fan

I like the episode, I'm not entirely sure on the plot yet, the sontarans are good, but the whole boy genius thing is overused, however there's still next week, the ep had some amazing moments though.

- Donna piloting the TARDIS!! awesome, and the Doctor's expression was like "What did I let myself get talked in to!" priceless.

- Donna and Martha FTW! glad Martha's engaged to Tom, I liked him!
I liked Martha in gerneral this episode, I liked her before, but she's more likable now she's over the Doctor, which wasn't her fault, I just hate unrequited love storylines with a passion.

- I love that it was mention that the Doctor still works for UNIT, and I loved the sir thing, and then Donna demanding a salute.

- Donna = Made of Awesome! "SuperTemp" it's a great example of how good Donna is a companion, she might not be as booksmarts as Martha, but she noticed these things.

- Wilf is a fantastic character, I loved all of his scenes.

- Oh, and I think that soldier who was following the Doctor was Luke Scarlett 2.0, It's wierd when fandoms collide.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:40 AM
Fan Forum Hero

You're right, Sibohan...that Ross/Russ kid looked alot like Harry Lloyd.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:13 AM
Extreme Fan

I didn't truly enjoy the last 2 episodes of DW but this weeks was good.

I liked when Donna told the Doctor she was going home & he just went on & on & then realised she meant she was going for a visit and she'd be back.....haha!!!!

Poor Wilf, if anything happens to him I will NOT be happy. That scene at the end with the Doctor standing in the middle of the street with the smoke around him was visually awesome!

I'm not a real Martha fan, I haven't seen much of S3 because of her but I didn't mind her in this episode.

Overall the episode was good & I look forward to next weeks!!!
Old 04-27-2008, 03:21 AM
Master Fan

I really liked this episode- much better than last week's, I thought. Martha is incredibly less annoying when she's not whining about her unrequited lurve for the Doctor- but I must admit, she's never going to be my favourite character. Donna is still amazing (I'd like a salute ) and her family are 1000x than the Jones. I love Wilf!! More Wilf, please, and less annoying geniuses next week, plz.

Last edited by stoptheqtip; 04-27-2008 at 04:35 AM
stoptheqtip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:40 AM
Supreme Fan

i loved this episode my fav so far i think appart from the first episode

I love Wilf if anything happens to him im not going to be happy

Martha was less annoying than the last season

I love the doctor and donna (not like that though hehe) they have some great lines in this episode and i like the stoyline as well just a bit confused hence why its a two parter hehe
Old 04-27-2008, 04:10 AM
Master Fan

If anything happens to Wilf I'll be mad, he's just such a real character, he makes me miss my both of my granddads though.

Reply   Post New Thread