Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2008, 05:53 AM
Fan Forum Hero

4x03 "Planet of the Ood" Episode Discussion

PLANET OF THE OOD
by Keith Temple

Quote:
The Doctor takes Donna to her first alien world, but the Ood-Sphere reveals some terrible truths about the human race.

Watch trailer, Confidential trailer.

The Doctor ...... David Tennant
Donna Noble ...... Catherine Tate
Mr Halpen ...... Tim McInnerny
Solana Mercurio ...... Ayesha Dharker
Dr Ryder ...... Adrian Rawlins
Commander Kess ...... Roger Griffiths
Mr Bartle ...... Paul Clayton
Ood Sigma ...... Paul Kasey
Rep ...... Tariq Jordan
Voice of the Ood ...... Silas Carson
Airing Saturday the 19th of April on BBC1 at 6:20 pm.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:10 AM
Total Fan

Yay Percy's playing a baddie
Old 04-18-2008, 09:33 AM
Master Fan

Yay for the Ood! I kind of can't wait to see what Donna makes of them.

SiriuslyPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:27 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I can't wait either! and I sort of love the Ood, I can't say what it is about them but I'm quite fond of them
Old 04-18-2008, 01:47 PM
Fan Forum Hero

The ood freak me out. I only like the episodes they were in because it was a Rose/Doctor love fest. That video of yours is creeping into my head, Val...about David chewing on the ood. Can't wait. At least I won't miss any Who while I'm on vacation.
Wayward Melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:57 PM
Total Fan

Eurgh the Ood faces. Tentacles! I don't like them but the Ood being quite adorable in nature sort of makes up for it. Here's the little review/preview type thing from my Radio Times. I'm putting it in spoiler tags just in case anyone wants to stay away from EVERYTHING before the episode airs. I know Mr S, for one, refuses to even read the 2 line episode descriptions in the paper before Heroes or Lost

Spoiler:
Old 04-18-2008, 03:26 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Sounds fascinating, Sylv. It sounds like a really involved episode so now I'm even more excited.
Wayward Melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:50 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Half an hour until it starts!
Old 04-19-2008, 10:15 AM
Supreme Fan

yay 5mins till it starts cant wait i love the ood so glad there back want to know more about them
Old 04-19-2008, 01:25 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm so surprised nobody has posted a reaction yet

Granted, I thought the episode was a bit mehh compared to the last 2 episodes, but I still liked it.

I'll just jump right in and say that Donna is still AWESOME. Really, I'm loving her more and more each week and I already loved her a whole lot to begin with. I loved how she treated the Ood, with so much genuine compassion. And she had some amazingly funny lines, once again I also liked that she had her "I want to go home" moment, because it really is different than she had expected, it's not all twinkly stars and adorable wobbly fat babies with the Doctor. I like that she realised by the end of it all that it's worth it, though.

Some memorable lines for me...

"I don't know what the word is! Oh, I've got the word... Freezing."

"That's what I call a spaceship! You've got a box, he's got a Ferrari!"
and the Doctor's look off that!

"We're not married, we're SO not married, never ever." bwaha

"Why d'you say miss? Do I look single to you?!!" "Back to the point.."

And then...

"I think your song must end soon." "...Meaning?" "Every song must end." and BAM, Doomsday music once again!

I really can't wrap my head around what that meant just yet, I have way too many possibilities running through my head, some good, some not so good, and some that I usually keep locked up FAR AWAY in that little corner of my mind labeled "DENIAL!!!!!!"

No full on Rose reference this week (unless you count the bit of the Doomsday theme) but I think the Ood and the Doctor's references to 'last time' were references in its own, really.

Also nothing about the Shadow Proclamation or planets going missing this week, but they did mention the bees going missing again.

And also, how stunning were some of those wide shots of the planet? gorgeous.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:10 PM
Elite Fan

I have to agree with you Val - the episode was okay, but not as good as the last two. But still, way better than 99% of the television shows these days

Some great lines, like the Ferrari one I also like that the TARDIS has a 'random' function It is like putting you iPod on shuffle

Donna is love! She is getting better and better and I think she was just the best thing that could have happened to the Doctor.

Tim McInnerny was brilliant I love that man.

And 'Your song must end soon' ... that was creepy. I wonder if and how that is connected to Rose because it was the Doomsday music
|it's about time
Mrs.Almeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 02:16 PM
Total Fan

I actually liked this one more than last week's. Donna is growing on me week by week, it's great. I loved the Ferrari line so much

The 'every song must end' reference was definitely a weird one but with the Doomsday music? GOT to be something big going on there. Each week we're getting teased something chronic. I'm wondering how many more creepy lines they're going to throw at us before something actually gets revealed!

Nice to see the red converse back! But I have to say I really prefer the other suit
Old 04-19-2008, 03:09 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintedxlie (View Post)
And also, how stunning were some of those wide shots of the planet? gorgeous.
The wide shots were great, but I have to say, the closeups of the snow were about as convincing as when the Doctor and Sarah Jane went to Antarctica in The Seeds of Doom in the 70s.

That "Every song must end" comment was certainly ominous, but I have a slightly different take on the music that was played. I guess the tune was similar to the one from the "Doomsday" piece from the soundtrack, but I always associated that lone woman's voice "ooo"ing with the Doctor specifically, and Time Lords in general - on the same soundtrack, that other similar tune is identified as "The Doctor's Theme". RTD has said (somewhat jokingly) that that he imagined that tune was Chancellor Flavia singing (a Time Lady from the classic series). I guess the most obvious interpretation is that the Doctor is going to die, but another interpretation is that his "song" will change. Because remember, Rose "will die in battle" didn't mean quite what it seemed to mean.

I'm kind of indifferent to the ep overall as well, pretty average I thought, but the story reminded me an awful lot of Robots of Death from the Fourth Doctor era. The Ood were much like the robots in that story, even down to the red eyes when they started attacking, and Ood Sigma was a bit like D84.
Raonaild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 03:21 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I thought it was 'The Doctor's Theme' at first, but I went back and listened to both that and the Doomsday theme, then went back and listened to the bit in the episode again... It's definitely from the Doomsday theme not that it makes that much of a difference because the meaning behind it could still be a general Doctor/Timelord theme, and both songs are very similar, but it was definitely from the Doomsday piece of music.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:40 PM
Master Fan

Let me put it another way ... I've always associated that woman's voice "ooo"ing in any piece of Doctor Who music as a reference to the Doctor and Time Lords. Sort of like in Peter and the Wolf where the oboe represents the Duck and the French horns are the Wolf.
Raonaild is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread