Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2008, 07:51 AM
Elite Fan

Loved the episode!

"You fought her off with a water pistol? I bloody love you!"

I have to say - Doctor and Donna are brilliant together!
She so has the potential to become the coolest companion in the new series!

Loved her geek out when she realized she's speaking Latin.
"You have to ask difficult questions, don't you?"
And her attempt to speak Latin and nobody understanding her!
Loved how she wanted to warn people, and her being stubborn. Though I agree with him on this, about not being able to interfere with things that happened in history.
But what I loved the most was when they were making the decision between 20.000 people of Pompeii or the world, and she put her hands on top of his and they both made that call. Brilliant, heart breaking, scene!
She is also a great influence, how she got him to save that family. I'm glad he realized he needs someone. "Welcome aboard" indeed!
Now give the girl her TARDIS key. She earned it!

Doctor was cool in this episode.
His face when he found out that guy sold the TARDIS. Ha ha, bless!
Being all business like 'gotta go before this place burns' and then noticing those plates and changing his mind.
The water pistol!!!!! I couldn't stop laughing when he pulled it out! (Why the hell does he carry that thing with him around anyway? )
at "Oh that's alright, just us girls."
Loved his explanation to Donna about being able to see fixed points in history, and what he can and can not change.
His realization that he's the one who'll end Pompeii. Ouch. Definitely best scene in the episode.
And when he came back for the family, that 'come with me' scene that was in the trailer.
I'm happy he has someone to reason with his and get him to listen and consider other options.

I was chuckling when they thought Doctor and Donna are married at first.
I have a feeling they'll joke with that like they did with Nine being Rose's boyfriend in series 1.
Spartacus and Spartacus.

The family was cool. They might have been in Pompeii, but the dynamics felt pretty modern to me.

"Ancient Rome - like Soho, but bigger."

And what is it with Shadow Proclamation being mentioned in both episodes so far this season? Maybe it will play a part in the finale?

All in all this season is fun and awesome so far!

And I have to say - Confidential was brilliant! Best one so far IMO.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:35 AM
Elite Fan

Great episode!

The water pistol Great idea!

The aliens looked a little like the Lord of the Nazgul from Lord of the Rings. That was very disturbing.

I love Donna She is perfect, a wonderful companion, I hope she will stay very long with The Doctor.

"It's volacano day!" Oh the good old times.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I liked the "come with me" scene as well, him stepping out of the TARDIS and offering a hand up, he was very superhero in that moment.
Wayward Melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:02 PM
Website Manager

Yeah, the squirt gun scene was great, though I wonder where he picked that random weapon up unless he happened to have one in the tardis... which I guess is possible.

The 'Bad Wolf' thing from a previous season was great since it was a continuous background storyline.
Johnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:05 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I think he just happened to have it in one of his bigger on the inside pockets the things he's pulled out of there in the past....
Old 04-13-2008, 01:29 PM
Master Fan

Yeah, there's a fic that I read that said "he pulled out one inexplicable object after the next. "I don't think it's going to be in the Russian nesting dolls", Rose said". I'm paraphrasing, because I don't remember the fic, but that I think pretty much sums up the issue of the Doctor's pockets.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:48 PM
Dedicated Fan

Really liked the episode just as much as last week

Donna is great

Avi from davidtennant.com
musicalgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:53 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KervyQT16 (View Post)
Clearly the "returning" like referred to Rose, feels like a no brainer to me.
That's what I thought too (some posts back ^_^), but then I was listening to the song "Anthem" from Chess today, and had another thought.

In the song, the character known as "The Russian" is singing about his homeland. He calls his homeland "She"... and it made me wonder - are all homelands referred to as "She"?

If so, telling the Doctor "she is returning" takes on an entirely different meaning.

Last edited by Elektra; 04-13-2008 at 07:35 PM
Elektra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 07:16 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I didn't think of that either. Evidently, I don't think of alot of things while watching because I'm so engrossed. But yes, that would be a major implication.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:42 PM
Part-Time Fan

This episode was cool!

"She is returning.." ROSE!

"Something on your back.." NO DONNA!

I found it cool how in the end how the doctor and donna ended being the gods the family give thanks to.

I was sorta hoping Rose would have showed up again. I remember when I was watching Partners in Crime on youtube somebody in one comments said a rumor was going around that she might be in the valcano xD
Fan_girl213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:03 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektra (View Post)
In the song, the character known as "The Russian" is singing about his homeland. He calls his homeland "She"... and it made me wonder - are all homelands referred to as "She"?

If so, telling the Doctor "she is returning" takes on an entirely different meaning.
Hmm, I don't recall the Doctor ever referring to Gallifrey as "she". He does often refer to his TARDIS as "she". But I'm pretty certain in the context of this ep "she" referred to Rose.
Raonaild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:38 PM
Master Fan

Was it just me or did the daughter of the family look EXACTLY like Jennifer Morrison from House? It was all I could think about when she was on screen.
I love you
meghan
chasing starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:06 PM
Fan Forum Hero

They do have a resemblance. I liked the family, they were good people. I'm glad they were saved but Donna's instance over it I think is a very human thing, she's just learning the way that the Doctor's world works, she'll be hard pressed to convince him of things every time regardless of how for the good she was trying to make things.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:34 PM
Extreme Fan

I did like Donna's outrage and feeling about not saving everyone in Pompeii. It was very human and I think almost everyone would be like that. But I do think that if she does that EVERY time, it'll get a bit tiresome. Not to sound callous about it but the Doctor can't save everyone all the time and in a situation like Pompeii...you just can't change history like that. She just has to get used to it.

Harriet: Excuse me, people are dead. This is not a time for making jokes.
Rose: Sorry. You get used to this stuff when you're friends with him.
(I do miss Harriet Jones)

But I think that if she didn't bring all that up and wasn't acting the way she was about it on one of her very first trips out then that would say something against her character and maybe even like her less.
pacifierrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:58 PM
Master Fan

I did like the family but I have to admit I found the part at the end where they have the Doctor & Donna as Gods very lame, I just don't like the religous themes they have in the series though.

SiriuslyPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread