Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2008, 10:49 AM
Fan Forum Hero

2x05 "Rise of the Cybermen" Episode Discussion

RISE OF THE CYBERMEN
by Tom MacRae

Quote:
On a parallel Earth, a deadly new version of the Doctor's old enemy is about to be reborn.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:39 AM
Fan Forum Hero

So, seems like most of you don't really have anything to say about this episode I'll leave this thread up for a few more days.

Guess it's the same for me, I like it well enough but it didn't really stand out to me either way. There are some moments in it that I absolutely adore (the whole beginning scene is just great... With Rose and the Doctor just chatting and laughing away and completely forgetting Mickey, poor guy!) and of course when Rose finds out that she's a dog in this universe

Then there's the introduction to the alt world, or Pete's world, which of course plays a big role in episodes after this one. I also really liked seeing Rose interact with alt!Pete and alt!Jackie, wanting so much to be accepted by them but then realising that they're just not the same.

And, of course, the re-introduction of the Cybermen. They're not and have never been my favourite villains, but they are definitely scary and I do really like how they've reinvented them for the new series.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:43 AM
Master Fan

Yeah, this is pretty much average Doctor Who fare- which means, of course, it's still the best thing on TV, but it's nothing outstanding for this show. Love the Doctor/Rose interaction in this episode and Mickey is great in this two-parter (especially Part II). I've always really liked Pete, and of course Jackie- with money- was hilarious.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:48 AM
Master Fan

I always liked this episode two parter, I've always kind of liked the cybermen as the villain (more than the Daleks anyway) and there was some fun moments.

SiriuslyPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:33 AM
Master Fan

One of my favourite parts of this episode was the part in the TARDIS at the beginning - the bit with Mickey and the button was cute, and the TARDIS console exploding and everything going dark was very scary.

The new Cybermen looked good, but I was never much of a Cyberman fan. I was also not that impressed with the story - they credit Marc Platt's audio play Spare Parts as inspiration for this two-parter, but it bared little resemblance to the play (which was an excellent story in comparison), other than the fact that both were a version of the Cyberman origin story.
Raonaild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:12 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I liked this two parter. I liked Rose trying to bond with Pete and Jackie and her being a dog and Mickey sl as well
fox24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:21 PM
Absolute Fan

Offering a dramatic cliffhanger and story worthy of classic Who, RISE goes a long way towards bringing back the Cybermen and making them scary again. Though my favorite Cybermen that I grew up with are those in silver costumes led by David Banks, I still enjoyed RISE.
CommanderM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 03:30 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderM (View Post)
Offering a dramatic cliffhanger and story worthy of classic Who, RISE goes a long way towards bringing back the Cybermen and making them scary again. Though my favorite Cybermen that I grew up with are those in silver costumes led by David Banks, I still enjoyed RISE.
i agree i need to re watch this episode again but i do remember liking it
Old 07-03-2015, 07:45 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Falls (View Post)
i agree i need to re watch this episode again but i do remember liking it
It was a worthy story for David Tennant's first 2-parter. Again, the cliffhanger is brilliant and everyone is all systems go!
Old 07-03-2015, 10:43 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
It was a worthy story for David Tennant's first 2-parter. Again, the cliffhanger is brilliant and everyone is all systems go!
Hmm... I still don't like that they did a reboot of the Cybermen and kinda tried to copy Genesis of the Daleks badly...
Old 07-04-2015, 05:52 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida's Army (View Post)
Hmm... I still don't like that they did a reboot of the Cybermen and kinda tried to copy Genesis of the Daleks badly...
For one story it works enough for me, but I would rather see the original series Cybermen in subsuquent stories.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:19 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
For one story it works enough for me, but I would rather see the original series Cybermen in subsuquent stories.
I felt they stayed way too long with the Cybus Cybermen, when they should have just scratched them and gone back to Mondas/Telos Cybermen
Old 07-04-2015, 08:32 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida's Army (View Post)
I felt they stayed way too long with the Cybus Cybermen, when they should have just scratched them and gone back to Mondas/Telos Cybermen
Nightmare in Silver...were those orignal series Cybermen or a mix of both universes as suggested at the time it aired? I know there is a loose reference to it being long after the Cyber Wars from the original series.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:17 AM
Moderator Support Team

i love how much you guys discuss these episodes i need a re watch pronto

Old 07-05-2015, 05:17 AM
Moderator Support Team

i love how much you guys discuss these episodes i need a re watch pronto

Reply   Post New Thread