Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2008, 12:14 PM
Master Fan

2x00 "Children in Need 2005" / "The Christmas Invasion"

Children in Need 2005
Russell T Davis

Quote:
The Doctor has just regenerated; but will Rose be able to trust this strange new Doctor?

CAST

David Tennant - The Doctor
Billie Piper - Rose Tyler

The Christmas Invasion
Russell T Davis

Quote:
It's Christmas Eve and high above London, the alien Sycorax are holding the Earth to ransom. The Doctor must recover from his regeneration in time to save the Human Race from slavery.

CAST

David Tennant - The Doctor
Billie Piper - Rose Tyler
Camille Coduri – Jackie Tyler
Noel Clarke – Mickey Smith
Penelope Wilton – Harriet Jones
Adam Garcia – Alex
Daniel Evans – Daniel Llewellyn
Sean Gilder – Sycorax Leader
Anita Briem – Sally
Chu Omambala – Major Blake
Sian McDowell – Sandra
Paul Anderson – Jason
Cathy Murphy – Mum
Sean Carlsen – Policeman
Jason Mohammed – Newsreader 1
Sagar Arya – Newsreader 2
Lachele Carl – Newsreader 3
Raonaild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 12:57 PM
Master Fan

I combined these two into one thread, because the 2005 Children in Need sketch was pretty much a prologue to The Christmas Invasion - it showed how Rose was confused and upset over the Doctor's regeneration, and how the new Tenth Doctor, who seemed fine at the end of The Parting of the Ways, was not so fine after all.

I really liked this special, the Tenth Doctor was fun, and it was a nice little teaser for the Christmas special - especially considering Ten spent most of TCI unconscious. Oh, it was the first time they used the Cloister Bell in New Who.

I also enjoyed The Christmas Invasion. If I had one complaint about this ep, it was that it had very little of the Tenth Doctor. Which made sense, but still, the parts of this ep I've rewatched the most are the parts with Ten. In general I like regeneration eps, but you could see from this one why they didn't start the New Series with a regeneration ep. This ep wouldn't have worked if the audience didn't already know and care about Rose and her family, and because regeneration is supposed to be such a traumatic experience, the Doctor is out of comission for much of the ep.

Favourite bits of the ep - the Arthur Dent reference, the tea, "Don't you think she looks tired", Ten in the TARDIS wardrobe and his new glasses.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:11 AM
Elite Fan

I love this special, I've watched it so many times. I love seeing what we do of the 10th doctor. Him quoting the Lion King will make him number 1 in my book. Plus his whole "Six words" thing. So awesome and wonderful.
roswellcharmed_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:40 AM
Master Fan

I really liked the Children in Need special, even though I watched it well after I finished S1 & 2, it was a nice look at what happened between PoTW and TCI, but I do think it would of been more interesting if I'd watched it in order.

Quote:
This ep wouldn't have worked if the audience didn't already know and care about Rose and her family, and because regeneration is supposed to be such a traumatic experience, the Doctor is out of comission for much of the
That is definately true, when I watched TCI when it was broadcast I don't think I'd watched more than 10 minutes of series 1 and I watched this because it was christmas and I just didn't get it, it was just boring to me because I didn't understand what was going on.

But when I did watch it after watching S1 I liked it a lot more, I knew about Rose and cared about her, and being in the know I could really root for the Doctor to save the day.

Quote:
Plus his whole "Six words" thing. So awesome and wonderful.
That issue is pretty controversial, some people think he was right to do what he did, some people still haven't forgiven him for it, I can see it both ways myself.

SiriuslyPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:06 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriuslyPotter (View Post)
That issue is pretty controversial, some people think he was right to do what he did, some people still haven't forgiven him for it, I can see it both ways myself.
There's an old Third Doctor story, Doctor Who and the Silurians, that reminds me of this plot. In that story, the Doctor manages to stop the Silurians from taking over the Earth, and at the end of the story they're contained and the Doctor plans to negotiate a peaceful resolution with them. But the Brigadier and UNIT blow up their base and kill them all before the Doctor gets a chance. The Third Doctor was similarly disgusted at the unnecessary loss of life, human or otherwise, but it doesn't have any impact on his relationship with the Brig or UNIT.

Personally, I prefer the Tenth Doctor's reaction, that he will not tolerate that sort of thing, even if it's done by his favourite species (humanity) rather than the "monsters".
Old 08-12-2008, 05:42 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I adore both the CiN special and The Christmas Invasion SO much. I can quote them word for word, talk along with everything, but I still enjoy them immensely.

I love Rose's reaction to the Doctor regenerating, I love that she didn't accept him at first, because why would she? And it was nice because as a regular viewer (I say regular viewer, because I already liked David at that point so I was biased ), you probably felt exactly the same way she did, asking things like "Who is this weird skinny guy? Where did my Doctor go?" so I liked it a lot that we got eased into it
Old 08-13-2008, 04:04 AM
Dedicated Fan

I LOOOOVEEE the Cristmas invasion... I just think it is a brilliant episode. I was trying really hard not to like DT when this first aired... I think it lasted about 5 min before I thought he was brilliant! So many fantastic references and just amazing all round.. i love the pilot fish.

CiN.. well I saw this much later and unfortunately after the 2006 one, which i loved immensley so while its good it doesnt rate above that one. I love the realistic-ness of those few min.
"He needs you, That's very me"
Icon Credit: The Daily Mail
TearlessPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:46 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TearlessPhoenix (View Post)
CiN.. well I saw this much later and unfortunately after the 2006 one, which i loved immensley so while its good it doesnt rate above that one. I love the realistic-ness of those few min.
The thing I liked better about the 2005 CiN special was that it was a integrated into the plotline between S1 and S2. You didn't need to see it to understand TCI, but it added to Rose's experience of the Doctor's regeneration, and it explained why the Doctor crash landed the TARDIS and collapsed in front of Jackie and Mickey when he seemed perfectly fine after regenerating in PotW.

With the 2007 CiN special, although I enjoyed it as a stand-alone sort of thing and I always appreciate a good classic series reference, it didn't really fit between S3 and S4. If you played LotTL, TC and VotD back to back, TC actually fits in before the end of LotTL, it's like a scene that was left out of LotTL. I found that a bit jarring when I watched it.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:19 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I just finish this a few days ago. I like Ten and him trying discover what kind of man he is and how the tea save him and him reuniting with Harriet and their conflict. I liked how Rose was conflicted it made sense because its not everyday someone you care about changes
fox24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:28 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox24 (View Post)
I just finish this a few days ago. I like Ten and him trying discover what kind of man he is and how the tea save him and him reuniting with Harriet and their conflict. I liked how Rose was conflicted it made sense because its not everyday someone you care about changes
yer i did enjoy it the tea bit was nice and i love jackie .. its always interesting to see a new doctor and try to understand them
Old 01-24-2015, 03:36 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Falls (View Post)
yer i did enjoy it the tea bit was nice and i love jackie .. its always interesting to see a new doctor and try to understand them
The Christmas Invasion was a GREAT first story for the Tenth Doctor. Even more so than Rose was for Nine. It was fun, dramatic, angsty, it just worked!!
CommanderM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:18 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Jackie is hilarious
Old 01-25-2015, 01:25 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderM (View Post)
The Christmas Invasion was a GREAT first story for the Tenth Doctor. Even more so than Rose was for Nine. It was fun, dramatic, angsty, it just worked!!
true a lot happen in this episode

^ i know jackie literally saved the doctor thanks to her tea
Old 01-25-2015, 01:19 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
true a lot happen in this episode

^ i know jackie literally saved the doctor thanks to her tea
Jackie saved the Doctor, the Doctor saved the world. Good old Jackie and her tea, she should market it for regenerating Time Lords...
CommanderM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:57 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderM (View Post)
Jackie saved the Doctor, the Doctor saved the world. Good old Jackie and her tea, she should market it for regenerating Time Lords...
Lol
Reply   Post New Thread