Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2007, 09:31 AM
Fan Forum Hero

1x08 "Father's Day" Episode Discussion

FATHER'S DAY
By Paul Cornell

Quote:
Rose travels back to 1987, to witness the day her Father died. But when she interferes in the course of events, the monstrous Reapers are unleashed upon the world, and a wedding day turns into a massacre.

Even the Doctor is powerless, as the Human Race is devoured.

CAST

Doctor Who -CHRISTOPHER ECCLESTON
Rose Tyler - BILLIE PIPER
Jackie Tyler - CAMILLE CODURI
Pete Tyler - SHAUN DINGWALL
Registrar - ROBERT BARTON
Young Rose - JULIA JOYCE
Stuart - CHRISTOPHER LLEWELLYN
Sonny - FRANK ROZELAAR-GREEN
Sarah - NATALIE JONES
Bev - EIRLYS BELLIN
Suzie - RHIAN JAMES
Young Mickey - CASEY DYER
SOURCE: BBC
Old 12-15-2007, 10:28 AM
Master Fan

I love this episode, it's probably my favourite of S1, and s1 on a whole was amazing so it's really saying something.

I'll probably rewatch it tonight so I can give more thought, it's been a while.

SiriuslyPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 11:22 AM
Master Fan

I LOVE this episode. My favourite episode of s1, by quite a bit. I cried my eyes out at the end. This is really the moment I started shipping Nine/Rose, when before I thought it was pretty much platonic between them. The best part, though, was the Pete/Rose father-daughter relationship- so believable and lovely and heartbreaking. Also, Jackie was hilarious
Old 12-15-2007, 12:28 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm sensing a theme here it's also my absolute favourite season 1 episode

Before this episode, I already loved the show, but this was the episode that REALLY got me hooked, up to the point of no return. And yes, I also started shipping the Doctor and Rose after this episode.

All the stuff between Rose and Pete is SO emotional the moment where he realizes she's his daughter always gives me goosebumps and brings tears to my eyes. And Jackie I love how utterly clueless she is, it's so very her.

Another moment that always gets to me is when the Doctor steps into the TARDIS and it's just a box. Very powerful. It's funny to see how weird that looks, while we all know that in reality, that actually is what the prop looks like on the inside

And how utterly amazing is Billie in this episode? She always is, but she really blows me away in this. The really subtle things, like the look on her face when she talks to Pete, realizing she's said too much by mentioning Jackie, then the run of emotion on her face during the scenes in the church...
Old 12-16-2007, 03:42 AM
Vee
Loyal Fan

This episode is so sad. I think it's the first episode I've realized that Doctor and Rose are in love with each other. And that makes me obsessed them even more. I've been a shipper of Doctor/Rose since the second episode. But this episode, I became a big shipper of them. I've started collecting their lines and capturing their scenes together.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:06 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintedxlie (View Post)
Another moment that always gets to me is when the Doctor steps into the TARDIS and it's just a box. Very powerful. It's funny to see how weird that looks, while we all know that in reality, that actually is what the prop looks like on the inside
That part freaked me out a bit. In a lot of cases when the Doctor is separated from the TARDIS, you still know that it's around somewhere if only the Doctor could get to it. But when it's completely gone like that, it pushes the drama up a notch.

I agree with other comments about this being an emotionally powerful episode too, and the end was pretty heartbreaking.

At the beginning of the ep, Rose makes a comment about whether the trip she's proposing was against one of the "laws of time", wbich is a reference to the classic series and various laws of time which forbid people from interfering with their own past. These laws help the show to justify why the Doctor doesn't just go back and fix things if something bad happens to him. In classic Who, these laws were theoretically enforced by the Time Lords. But since they're gone now, for this ep they invent a new and deadly consequence to that kind of meddling, the Reapers.
Raonaild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:37 AM
Elite Fan

This episode made me bawl my eyes out the first time I watched it. Dead, comatose, physically separated from there children parent stores always get to me though, so I'm cheep. Big time family sap me...

The scene in the church when Rose thought the doctor was dead and gone and she had destroyed the world, was so visually isolating. Pete's line: "I'm your dad, it's my job to be at fault."

Pete got to be a hero in the end instead of just some random victim... *sniffles*
Old 12-19-2007, 08:52 PM
Moderator Support Team

I have to agree. It was one of my favorite Season 1 episodes as well. I was enjoying the season before this episode, but this one definitely got me emotionally invested.

Quote:
At the beginning of the ep, Rose makes a comment about whether the trip she's proposing was against one of the "laws of time", wbich is a reference to the classic series and various laws of time which forbid people from interfering with their own past. These laws help the show to justify why the Doctor doesn't just go back and fix things if something bad happens to him. In classic Who, these laws were theoretically enforced by the Time Lords. But since they're gone now, for this ep they invent a new and deadly consequence to that kind of meddling, the Reapers.
Very interesting and makes alot of sense. I hope to check out Classic Who at some point.
Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 02:55 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunas_borednow (View Post)
Pete got to be a hero in the end instead of just some random victim... *sniffles*
Yeah, I'm glad he had a noble death.

Quote:
how utterly amazing is Billie in this episode?
She was amazing, just everything was perfect, a great performance as usual, but to a whole other level I think

SiriuslyPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 12:29 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintedxlie (View Post)
FATHER'S DAY
By Paul Cornell

SOURCE: BBC

Dang, I missed this Epie. Wonder if its on You Tube.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:35 AM
New Fan

I just watched it and I'm still not seeing my screen very well, it's just tears all over the place. Last time I cried so much was... Uhn.. I can't really remember XD but it had something to do with a very sad Brothers & Sisters episode.

Anyway, the way Pete realized how much The Doctor cares about Rose and how the destiny - not only Rose's, but planet's - was in his own hands, just got me. In the end he wasn't useless like he and everybody else thought, he saved the world. And, of course, his scenes with Rose gave a whole new meaning for the "father-daughther relationship" expression. Just perfect! Gotta watch the episode again, though .lol.
Thay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 01:39 PM
Part-Time Fan

Add me to the list of people who love this episode. I really enjoyed the Empty Child/The Doctor Dances too, but on a more personal level, this one was my favourite. My own dad died when I was 7 and I normally just avoid thinking about him. This episode really struck home. I loved how *human* Rose was in this, and it really set the stage for a great DoctoRose symbiosis since then.

Sorry, I'm a newb here and might be resurrecting old threads! I don't think that's against the rules is it?

Last edited by fitbrit; 07-03-2008 at 02:44 PM
fitbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 01:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I don't think that's against the rules is it?
Absolutely not! It's very much encouraged even, it's always great to see old threads back again with some fresh input!
Old 07-03-2008, 03:41 PM
Master Fan

When S4 ends, I think we'll dragging up a few more of these to pass the time
Raonaild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 03:50 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Oh yes, we still don't have discussion threads for 1x11 - 3x08, so I'm sure we'll be able to pass the time with those
Reply   Post New Thread