Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2011, 04:59 PM
Elite Fan

First time DW viewer. Noticed it was on Netflix. Watched it. Different was the first thing that came to mind. But, I can't resist Billie Piper, loved her on Secret Diary of a Call Girl, so I thought, why not? Enjoyed it. The show's a bit odd and hard to pinpoint, but I'm down. The whole thing with the mannequins, I can say, I've never seen anything like that before. It's one thing for mannequins to turn into humans, but to see mannequins walking around and having the ability to zap/kill people, was something else. I wonder how I'll react when I pass store windows now. The TARDIS is pretty cool. So it travels forward and backwards through time? Interesting... I like the chemistry with the Doctor and Rose, and I can relate to Rose in her state of mind, where she feels she doesn't have much going for her, this is something new and exciting, hard to pass up, minus the danger-factor.

kenny | credit
smoothaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:13 PM
Master Fan

Wow, you're really starting from scratch. Did you know anything about the show before you started, other than the fact Billie Piper was in it?

If you liked Rose, you'll love the later stuff even more.
Raonaild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:45 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raonaild (View Post)
Wow, you're really starting from scratch. Did you know anything about the show before you started, other than the fact Billie Piper was in it?

If you liked Rose, you'll love the later stuff even more.
I've heard of it and seen people chat about it. I know nothing of the original series, besides that it existed.

kenny | credit
Old 05-05-2011, 12:40 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothaise (View Post)
I've heard of it and seen people chat about it. I know nothing of the original series, besides that it existed.
S1 was the first Doctor Who I ever watched properly (though I don't think Rose was the first ep I saw), though I've gone back and watched all of the classic series since. But I'm a bit hard core

But now that we're in S6 (7 years since the series came back), it's pretty amazing to look back at where it started compared to where the show is today. When Rose first aired, many viewers were in the same position you're in now, they'd heard of the show but knew little about it. Watching Rose now it seems a bit simplistic to me, but it had to be, they had to start with the basics ... that was like Doctor Who 101, and now in S6 we're doing our Doctor Who PhD
Old 05-05-2011, 09:32 AM
Elite Fan

What I noticed is that the series started off more of a "time travel of the week" but, does it ever become a layered narrative? It was hard to gauge from the first episode how this will progress as a series.

kenny | credit
Old 05-05-2011, 10:15 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothaise (View Post)
What I noticed is that the series started off more of a "time travel of the week" but, does it ever become a layered narrative? It was hard to gauge from the first episode how this will progress as a series.
Most Doctor Who stories are stand-alone, that was true for the classic series as well. Some stories are one part, some two parts, and in the case of the classic series stories averaged between 2-6 parts, some more. For each story, they travel to a different place at a different point of time, solve some problem there, then move on to the next story never to return.

However, with the new series they did introduce more long term story arcs that span a whole series, and they tend to follow up on interesting stories or characters more than the classic series. In S1 for example, they tend to keep coming back to Rose's mother and Mickey. And as people become more familiar with the basics of the series, they start getting into more complex territory.

But don't forget this is meant to be a family show, for children as well as adults, so at some level children need to be able to follow it as well.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:34 AM
Passionate Fan

I just started this series, after huuuuuge eggings from my tumblr friends It's huge on tumblr, everyone adores DW! I've started from the absolute beginning so I can get the full effect, so hopefully this will go good! I can't wait to see Amy, ngl.

I'm watching the second episode rn!
Old 05-14-2011, 07:54 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolineForbes (View Post)

I just started this series, after huuuuuge eggings from my tumblr friends It's huge on tumblr, everyone adores DW! I've started from the absolute beginning so I can get the full effect, so hopefully this will go good! I can't wait to see Amy, ngl.

I'm watching the second episode rn!
Hi, welcome! I hope you enjoy the series, looking forward to reading your thoughts as you watch on here
Old 09-07-2011, 06:15 PM
Fan Forum Star

I just started watching DW via netflix. I'm liking it!

I found the plastic mannequins to be creepy! I find the doctor to be really cute.
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:05 AM
Fan Forum Hero

awesome that you started watching, Tina!
Old 12-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Elite Fan

The one that started it for me. Looking back at it, I still think its good but I now see that there have been better episodes (and better Doctors) but this is the one that got me hooked so for that its always gunna be a good one for me
Old 03-26-2018, 07:15 AM
Moderator Support Team

Day in Fandom History: March 26…

Rose Tyler believes she is living another day of her “ordinary” life, but after being
threatened by Autons (living plastic) controlled by the Nestene Consciousness,
she meets the Ninth Doctor. The First Episode of the Revived Series (Series 1),
“Rose”, premiered on this day, 13 Years Ago
Old 03-26-2018, 09:42 AM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

thanks for that Petra! I can't believe it happened 13 years ago wow! I feel so old now
One Thing Remains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:41 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thing Remains (View Post)
thanks for that Petra! I can't believe it happened 13 years ago wow! I feel so old now
I know look how far they have came
Old 03-27-2018, 08:24 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

yes!! The series has changed so much over the years. But I love it even with all the changes
One Thing Remains is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread