Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2007, 07:57 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
originally posted by KervyQT16

What’s everyone’s favorite part of this specific episode?
My favorite part in this episode just might be when Rose first steps into the Tardis. I remember gasping when I first watched that bit. Now when I watch it it feels a little bittersweet because the vocals used in the score are the same as in "Doomsday".

Mulder/Scully, Peter/Wendy, House/Cameron, Jack/Kate, Erik/Christine, Clark/Lois, Doctor/Rose, Doctor/Jack, Doctor/Rose/Jack
Leli1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:23 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KervyQT16 (View Post)
I hope that doesn’t happen, and not form a Rose standpoint either. I think it would cheapen kind of what Martha went through.
Martha pretty much showed up at the worst possible time, for her.

Quote:
When the Doctor is being restrained by the Autons, Rose is by the TARDIS with Mickey. When she gets up and goes to help the Doctor. I think it's the moment that changed everything for her.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:06 AM
Fan Forum Hero

My favourite bit would have to be when The Doctor takes Rose's hand and explains to her who he is.

The turn of the Earth. The ground beneath our feet is spinning at a thousand miles an hour, and the entire planet is hurtling around the sun at sixty-seven thousand miles an hour. And I can feel it. We're falling through space, you and me. Clinging to the skin of this tiny little world, and if we let go... That's who I am. Now, forget me, Rose Tyler.

I think that's beautiful.

And also, the end when she decides to come with him, of course
Old 08-31-2008, 04:13 PM
Obsessed Fan

So I finally saw the first episode of New Who Well I have a hatred for manequins to begin with, so I thought this was freaky (when I was a kid I was in a store that one time used real people as a manequin and when I went to touch her she moved and it scared me sh**less. Ever since then I've been slightly paranoid with them) So when I first saw them I'm like this can't be good.

I loved how they brought everything through Roses eyes. The only thing I didn't like was she couldn't seriously notice that somthing different about Mickey??

But I thought that was a great way to bring Doctor Who back into the limelight.

Nicole
Old 09-05-2008, 06:35 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I completely missed this when you first posted it, sorry hun! but I'm very glad you've finally gotten a chance to start from the beginning are you planning on watching the rest soon too?

Quote:
The only thing I didn't like was she couldn't seriously notice that somthing different about Mickey??
I agree that they really exaggerated that, she should by all accounts have noticed, but I think it was just to demonstrate how incredibly bored she was with her life and all the people in it, that she wouldn't even notice something like that.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:11 AM
Obsessed Fan

totally OK, I forgot I posted in here.

I'm sure my dad will be like OK let's watch episode 2 now or something. He gets all pissy when I want to borrow his DVD's because I don't watch everything all at once, lol. (Though it is how I got my own copy of TW S1. He got fed up with me having them and went out and bought his own and said keep them).

Nicole
Old 09-06-2008, 10:52 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KervyQT16 (View Post)

I have a few the first being in Rose's flat and when the Doctor is talking to Jackie and also when the doctor leaves the flat and Roses is following him saying you can't go swaning off and teh Doctor says "Heres me swaning off"

love the scene where Rose steps inside the Tardis for the first time
fozzy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:05 PM
Obsessed Fan

I just watched this one again. I still hate mannequins so I still really didn't watch it fully I just had it on but yes I'm starting New Who right now

Nicole
Old 03-03-2009, 04:56 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubandgeek05 (View Post)
I just watched this one again. I still hate mannequins so I still really didn't watch it fully I just had it on but yes I'm starting New Who right now

Nicole
Yeah, and that new Old Navy commercial reminds me of how creepy mannequins are!!!

But this was certainly a great way to get our attention for this show!
stargazer60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:37 PM
Obsessed Fan

OMG I HATE those Old Navy commercials. Makes me not want to shop there.

Nicole
Old 03-11-2011, 03:28 PM
Elite Fan

It hasn't been that long since I've seen these again, but still the first thing that strikes me is how the show has changed over these five seasons. The style has evolved, but it doesn't take anything away from these first episodes.

Love Rose, oh, Rose Tyler... Took me a little while at first to distance Billie from having known her as a pop star (I still remember when she was up here in Montreal one time!), but it didn't change the fact that she was (ha) fantastic. And Jackie Tyler, Jackie, Jackie, Jackie... I love this woman to bits, you don't even understand! Cracks me up and breaks my heart all the same sometimes. Then Mickey, oh how he's changed so much, too! From the guy crawling away on his hands, cowering by Rose's side, to one badass (hot hot hot) fighter

And the Doctor... Oh, Chris... Him too, at first, I had to distance from what I knew him from, which is the invisible man on Heroes, but he got through that right quick. In the grand scheme of things it does feel like he gets left behind sometimes, having only done the one season back at the start, but oh how I love this man... So always glad to revisit him here.

I only started watching the show last summer (June 23rd indeed!) and at first I didn't know what to expect. But this episode got me intrigued enough to keep going. I watched one more episode that day, then had to go to bed, and then the next day I watched the whole of season 1 in one sitting... So, yeah

And the old Tardis... *sniffles* I'm still not quite adjusted to the new one, it's just... it's not my Tardis, if that makes sense... Mind you, same goes to the new opening credits... But anyway, back to the episode, some parts of it still give me goosebumps, and some parts have perpetuated my giddiness over seeing people running hand in hand together, especially when those people are the Doctor and his companion.

Tomorrow: Double episode Saturday: "The End of the World" & "The Unquiet Dead"
Starfield_Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:40 AM
Master Fan

I respect this ep because of the enormity of the job it had to do - it had to introduce the show to new viewers (in particular, explain the Doctor and the TARDIS), set the tone the series in a way that would appeal to classic series fans but still be fresh and have a bit of distance from the classic series, and introduce a whole set of new characters. All of that I thought it did quite well. Where it falls down for me is in the actual story, which I thought was thin. For me I don't care for it as much on rewatching, there are much better eps in S1.

As for the TARDIS interior and the opening credits ... I guess S1 was where I first saw both, but I soon got into the classic series as well with a few different console rooms (mostly variations on white and small), and several different versions of the opening credits, so the RTD version of the opening and TARDIS never quite "imprinted" on me the way it might've done others who only watched the new series. To me, there were always other alternatives. So it didn't bother me when they created new opening credits and TARDIS interior for S5, I thought it was completely appropriate. It did take me a while to decide whether I liked them or not though.

Regarding the theme song ... I love Murray Gold's music and his version of the Doctor Who theme, but the funny thing for me is that throughout the classic series the theme song was completely electronic. The original electronic version was created back in the 60s when it was really difficult to make music like that, since it predated synthesizers. A few new versions were made over time, but always electronic, and by the 80s using synthesizers. So it's ironic that in the new era of Doctor Who, when electronic music is dead easy for anybody to make, the theme is now orchestrated. Murray Gold wasn't even the first to do that, the version of the theme used for the 90s TV movie was also orchestrated, though not as well. At least Murray has kept some elements of the electronic version in the orchestration. And I read the in the liner notes for the S5 soundtrack that Murray wanted the new version of the theme to sound a bit "reckless", which I thought was a good way of describing it.
Raonaild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:43 PM
Obsessed Fan

I have a pretty volatile opinion of this episode, so I double checked the rules to be sure, and I don't think there was anything in this particular forum that disallows the posting of negative opinions (correct me if I missed something), so I'll go ahead and post (but if you're a fan of this episode, read with caution):

This episode is in my Top 5 least favorite episodes. (So basically, I categorize it up there with the likes of "Love & Monsters." I would say the latter is my least favorite NuWho episode of all. ) I dread this episode and only watch it when I need to do a fact check from it. The beginning kills me and not in a good way. There's way too much Rose. I understand she needs to be introduced, but she's so overpowering and it grates on me. Plus, the plotline drags, especially during what is supposed to be the pivotal point where we learn about Rose and begin to care about her. For me, it does the opposite: I don't care about her in the least. In fact, I begin to progressively resent her (especially within the first five minutes) because The Doctor has not appeared yet and the first time I saw it, I kept wondering, "Where is he? Why is this girl taking up my screen time? Isn't this Doctor Who?" I also resent the hand holding. Makes me cringe each time, because I don't feel it was warranted at that point in time. They just met. But that's not the kind of vibe they try to give you. I felt it was more of a ploy than anything; you just knew what RTD had in mind (and I felt it was forcefully plunged down my throat): he was going to make it "romantic" at some point. It's too much, too soon. It's unrealistic and an unnatural progression for me. And my least favorite part of the episode would have to be the end with the way Rose just abandons Mickey and dashes off to be with The Doctor. It gets my blood boiling every time.

Overall, my final assessment for this episode is that I could not stand it and I can't watch the whole thing in one sitting, it pushes too many buttons on too many levels. It's one of the most frustrating episodes for me, which introduces both my least favorite Doctor and least favorite companion. It's probably my least favorite episode of season one and singlehandedly the reason I will never buy the first season on a boxset.
Princess Pinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:43 AM
Master Fan

Out of curiousity, did you see Rose after you'd seen other episodes of the show?

I completely understand their reasons for focusing on Rose so much in the first ep. It was a way to introduce a new audience who knew very little about the show, and to introduce both new and old fans to the new Doctor. They were trying not to make the mistake of the 90s TV movie (and later seasons of the classic series) by dumping too much DW canon on the audience all at once, they wanted to ease people into the show and leave the Doctor a bit of a mystery for now. Rose was meant to be the eyes through which the audience saw the new show and the new Doctor.

I found the hand holding in the ep completely natural and appropriate - the Doctor was trying to save Rose's life! I liked the early chemistry of the Doctor and Rose, he wasn't so completely smitten with her then, it wasn't yet being played as romantic. It was only later at the end of S1 and throughout S2 that I found the relationship between the Doctor and Rose grating in the way it sounds like you found from the start.
Raonaild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:22 PM
New Fan

When I watched the first episode, I was expecting to dislike Rose. By the end of the episode I loved her. I loved the show.

This is an awesome episode, along with the entire series.
AlexisKilgannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread