Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2007, 08:21 PM
Elite Fan

Old 11-20-2007, 01:29 PM
Master Fan

I was watching some Seven recently in "Rememberance of the Daleks" and I like his Doctor, the only stuff I'd seen of him previously was the eight doctor movie where he didn't leave much of a impression.

But he cracked me up several times, and Ace is pretty awesome, I don't remember much else from the story, only that it had some creepy kid that DW has a ton of.

This was a few weeks ago though, I'll probably rewatch it soon.

SiriuslyPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:40 PM
System Engineer

Moderator of ...
Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriuslyPotter (View Post)
I was watching some Seven recently in "Rememberance of the Daleks" and I like his Doctor, the only stuff I'd seen of him previously was the eight doctor movie where he didn't leave much of a impression.

But he cracked me up several times, and Ace is pretty awesome, I don't remember much else from the story, only that it had some creepy kid that DW has a ton of.
That serial is one of my favourites from the 7th Doctor era. It was the start of the "darker" 7th Doctor eps, where he was still a bit silly at times but also serious and dramatic. It was also the 7th Doctor's first "masterplan" story, which became a trademark of that Doctor. Unlike other Doctors who generally arrive in a situation by accident, or for some trivial reason that's soon forgotten, the 7th Doctor often clearly arrived on the scene as part of some greater plan that he wasn't telling Ace about.

And I loved the 7th Doctor/Ace dynamic set in that ep. Whenever I buy a classic Who audio play or book, I always go for the 7th/Ace stories first. Sadly, they only made two short seasons of the TV series with Seven/Ace together, but if you liked Remembrance, I also recommend Ghost Light and The Curse of Fenric (extended cut).
Raonaild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:01 PM
Extreme Fan

I loved the Three Doctors, The Five Doctors, and the Two Doctors and enjoyed each of them.

Tom Baker (the Fourth Doctor) was the first Doctor I saw on PBS.
Bronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:10 PM
Dedicated Fan

my first was Jon Pertwee, however that was when I refused to watch DW and only was it on tv because my dad was watching replays ( i must have been 12 or so at the time) but I have grown and seen the light! My favourite is Tennant. I watched during the days of nine, and while i love him, the overdramatisation of the scripts of the possibility of dying every 5 min put me off him a little (not his fault but oh well) I also love doc 5 and of course baker is a legend, but still tennant for me.

Hahah Cricket..... I'm australian, if you haven't played cricket at somepoint in your life here you must be in a coma
"He needs you, That's very me"
Icon Credit: The Daily Mail
TearlessPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 12:42 AM
Dedicated Fan

I'm very fond of Ten, he's my favorite. Nine comes in second. I didn't think that I would like Ten, in fact I didn't care much for him in the second season because I didn't think that the second season did him justice and because neither him nor Rose were favorite characters of mine, I was just a fan of the show. But after Freema Agyeman joined the cast in season three. I became a huge fan of both David Tennant and Freema Agyeman. They both gave brilliant performances all throughout season 3. In Human Nature/Family of Blood David Tennant was brilliant. It really showed how incredibly talented he is.
Morenarubyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:01 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I just came across this:

Old 02-15-2011, 01:42 PM
System Engineer

Moderator of ...
Doctor Who

I like the drawing, do you know if that was published somewhere?

It reminds me a bit of Nick Briggs bringing his toy sonic on set during S2 and comparing it with David Tennant's actual sonic, and it turned out that Briggs' was bigger.

I have the toy versions of both of these, and when the 9/10 sonic is extended it's about the same size as the 11 sonic retracted.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:50 PM
Addicted Fan

^ That's brilliant!

On a serious note though, I would really like for Eleven and Ten to meet at some point. It would certainly be interesting to see Ten's reaction to him.

We are all stories in the end
Ms X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:03 PM
System Engineer

Moderator of ...
Doctor Who

I'm certain that, eventually, we'll see Tennant back in Doctor Who in some form or other. But they have to be careful about not doing it too soon, to give Matt Smith define his Doctor first before bringing back another Doctor. Especially for S5, they had to prove that the show could survive without DT.

The past Doctor I'd most like to see return to the show though is 8th Doctor Paul McGann. But not because I want to see how the 8th and 11th Doctors interact with each other, I would like to see his return because it's the 8th Doctor who would have been involved in the Time War. Although it hasn't been explicitly stated, the implication is that the Doctor regenerated into Nine about the same time the Time War ended. I'd like to see how that played out, and they could do it by bringing McGann back. I'm sure he'd be up for it, unlike Eccleston who I don't think will ever be affiliated with Doctor Who again. But it would be nice to fill that gap, to find out how exactly Eight regenerated into Nine.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:32 AM
Addicted Fan

I don't dislike the 8th Doctor and I would like to see him again but not in a storyline about the Time War as I think that showing exactly what happened would kind of ruin it somewhat. I like that the Time War and the 8th Doctor's regeneration is shrouded in mystery and I think it should be kept that way, leave it up to the fans to imagine what happened.
I feel that if the Time War was shown, I'd be disappointed somehow. Not quite sure how to explain it but I think it would be hard to do it justice on the screen.

Quote:
I'm sure he'd be up for it, unlike Eccleston who I don't think will ever be affiliated with Doctor Who again.
Not necessary true. I doubt Chris will return but never say never. He was proud of the role of the Ninth Doctor and I think his issues were more to do with what went on behind the scenes. Now it's a different production team, it could be a possibility. I'm reaching I know

Old 03-02-2011, 12:50 PM
System Engineer

Moderator of ...
Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms X (View Post)
I don't dislike the 8th Doctor and I would like to see him again but not in a storyline about the Time War as I think that showing exactly what happened would kind of ruin it somewhat. I like that the Time War and the 8th Doctor's regeneration is shrouded in mystery and I think it should be kept that way, leave it up to the fans to imagine what happened.
I feel that if the Time War was shown, I'd be disappointed somehow. Not quite sure how to explain it but I think it would be hard to do it justice on the screen.
I think Moffat and his crew could do a better job of the Time War than the mess RTD left us with from the S4 season finale and The End of Time. And the regeneration of 8->9 is the one missing link in an otherwise continuous chain of Doctors going back to the first.

Quote:
Not necessary true. I doubt Chris will return but never say never. He was proud of the role of the Ninth Doctor and I think his issues were more to do with what went on behind the scenes. Now it's a different production team, it could be a possibility. I'm reaching I know
This is speculation of course, but I don't think the problem Chris had was with the production team. I think the problem was with everything that goes on around the show, the fans, the press, the behind the scenes attention, etc. etc. He was proud of the work but not the stuff that went on outside the actual work. That hasn't changed because the production team changed. I wouldn't say it could never happen, that under the right circumstances he might be persuaded to get involved again in some way. But he wouldn't be the first actor who, after playing the Doctor, avoided the show. It took Tom Baker at least a decade to do anything Doctor Who-related after he left, and when he did it was a big charity event with all the other living Doctors at the time.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:21 PM
Addicted Fan

^ Fair enough about CE. I don't think we'll ever know exactly what happened regarding his departure and it's probably best we don't. If there was unpleasantness, I'm not sure I want to know. But I do agree about the media He's always been a private person as far as I know.

Quote:
I think Moffat and his crew could do a better job of the Time War than the mess RTD left us with from the S4 season finale and The End of Time. And the regeneration of 8->9 is the one missing link in an otherwise continuous chain of Doctors going back to the first.
I agree that RTD didn't write the best stories with the examples above but I'm not entirely convinced Moffat could do the Time War any better then RTD, which is why I don't want the story of the Time War to appear on screen. Both writers can write some glorious stuff but I've just got too high expectations of both the Time War and the regeneration It would be hard too to film a regeneration if CE decided not to get involved and I would want to see the full process, not just cut off when CE should appear.

Another thing I have wondered now is RTD's standing up/glowing regenerations the standard for all? I know that Classic Who regenerations varied each time but I wonder if Moffat will shake it up again when the time comes for Eleven to regenerate?

Old 03-02-2011, 04:47 PM
System Engineer

Moderator of ...
Doctor Who

Quote:
It would be hard too to film a regeneration if CE decided not to get involved and I would want to see the full process, not just cut off when CE should appear.
It's not unprecedented though - they filmed the 6->7 regeneration without Colin Baker, who wouldn't come back to film because he'd been effectively fired from the show.

Quote:
Another thing I have wondered now is RTD's standing up/glowing regenerations the standard for all? I know that Classic Who regenerations varied each time but I wonder if Moffat will shake it up again when the time comes for Eleven to regenerate?
They varied, but all regenerations are fundamentally a morph from one actor into the next, and that's unlikely to change. The most different one I think was the regeneration from 7->8, because there was a lot of weird stretching and warping involved in the morph, similar to the morphing effects used in werewolf movies. Then there was 2->3 where they didn't explicitly show Troughton changing into Pertwee. In most of the other cases though, regeneration is a simple fade from one actor to the next, generally involving some glowing. The only thing really different in the new series is the quality of the fade and the glow, it's more elaborate than it was in the past.

What I could see them doing differently next time is changing the circumstances of the regeneration. In both RTD regenerations, there was quite a delay between when the Doctor was injured and when he regenerated, and the injury was pretty abstract (vortex energy and radiation). And I think every regeneration shown in the new series (for 9 and 10, plus the Master and the fake-10 regeneration in the S4 finale), it happened standing in the TARDIS beside the console.

But in other past regenerations, the Doctor was often unconscious/dead when it happened (1->2, 3->4, 6->7, 7->8), or he'd just endured some more physical trauma without a lot of warning (4->5 falling from a tower, 5->6 after poisoning and a dramatic escape sequence, 6->7 from a fall, 7->8 from being shot and botched surgery). For the next regeneration, I think there should be more drama involved, something more physical and immediate with no drawn out goodbyes.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:44 AM
Addicted Fan

I went to the Doctor Who Experience yesterday in London and I honestly thought it was fabulous. It's so well done and I loved being able to walk onto a recreation of Matt Smith's TARDIS and getting to see David Tennant's TARDIS. It was an amazing feeling
You can also see the original outfits for each Doctor (excluding Eleven) and I thought this was awesome. I loved seeing Christopher Eccleton's famous leather jacket, David Tennant's long coat and suit and Peter Davison's coat, cricket jumper and the stick of celery

I have some photos which I'm currently uploading but will share after I've done this

Wonderful day out and a must for any Doctor Who Fan.

Reply   Post New Thread