Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 03-22-2005, 11:16 AM
Ultimate Fan

Hooligans(2005) Charlie Hunnam and Elijah Wood #2: Blowing Bubbles and kicking a$$

Old Thread

Quote:
Hooligans (2005)

Charlie Hunnam and Elijah Wood

Genre: Adventure / Comedy

In London, a recently expelled Harvard student hooks up with a new friend who introduces him to the weird, violent world of soccer hooliganism.
Charlie Hunnam:

Elijah Wood:

Some Promo Shots:

Dom:"If he was a girl, I'd marry him today! I've been suggesting to Billy a sex change, but he really feels quite manly about things [Billy shouts, "I love women!"]. Yes, he's really passionate about women, as I am."
Billy:"Dom's an idiot."
Keeper Of Dom's Arms

Icon by zia319

Last edited by one small hobbit lover; 04-14-2005 at 10:07 AM
Old 03-22-2005, 02:13 PM
Part-Time Fan

>>>QUOTE=one small hobbit lover....

i have no idea what to put as a title so someone suggest one plz

I've read on the IMDb thread that "I'm forever blowing bubbles" is the West Ham anthem and that Elijah sings it at the end of the film. (as maybe other parts of the movie as well) So I suggest "Forever blowing bubbles or something more with a Hooligans slant like Blowing bubbles and kicking a$$"

BTW I am DVCorvis there and I found and posted the lyrics to that song

I'm dreaming dreams
I'm scheming schemes
I'm building castles high

They're born anew
Their days are few
Just like a sweet butterfly

And as the daylight is dawning
They come again in the morning

I'm forever blowing bubbles
Pretty bubbles in the air
They fly so high
Nearly reach the sky
Then like my dreams they fade and die

Fortune's always hiding
I've looked everywhere
Pretty bubbles in the air.

When shadows creep
When I'm asleep
To lands of hope I stray

Then at daybreak
When I awake
My bluebird flutters away

Happiness you seem so near me
Happiness come forth and cheers me

They fly so high
Nearly reach the sky

Fortune's always hiding
I've looked everywhere

Lyrics/Music : Jaan Kenbrovin/John William Kellette

Then adding that a West Ham season ticket holder on IMDb "essexlad" added that there is a "hooligans" version of the song that was popular in the 80's

...It might only be this version that gets sang???

"I'm forever blowing bubbles
They fly so high
Nearly reach the sky

The Tottenham always running
The Millwall running too
And West Ham are running
Running after you!"
Old 03-22-2005, 03:36 PM
Loyal Fan

This is great, another movie Elijah is lined up for! Do you know who plays who? Is Elijah the character whos been expelled or the 'soccer hooligan'?

Tara
Old 03-23-2005, 04:05 AM
Total Fan

Elijah plays the American who gets kicked out of Harvard and goes to England, whwere he meets Charlie Hunnam who gets him into football hooliganism.

I like the blowing bubbles titel. good choice. You'll have to PM one of the mods to change it though
Old 03-23-2005, 04:15 AM
Ultimate Fan

well i changed it in the first post and will get right on to PMing a mod
Dom:"If he was a girl, I'd marry him today! I've been suggesting to Billy a sex change, but he really feels quite manly about things [Billy shouts, "I love women!"]. Yes, he's really passionate about women, as I am."
Keeper Of Dom's Arms

Icon by zia319
Old 03-23-2005, 11:58 AM
Total Fan

Another review from aintitcoolnews

Quote:
HOOLIGANS Review
I’m not really familiar with the whole concept of Futbol (aka Football aka Soccer) Firms (aka like a gang, but minus drugs, guns & them nifty vests… god I love THE WARRIORS). But after watching HOOLIGANS – I can’t wait to join one! I mean, sit around bars getting ****faced and stupid. Count a bunch of low-self-esteem losers as your mates. Go watch an overblown game of kickball minus the bases. Then pick a fight with the other team’s firm – made up of the same sad sacks as you. Where do I sign up?

Now don’t get me wrong. I love HOOLIGANS. The movie does a fantastic job of showing how a disenfranchised put upon could get sucked into the promise of brotherhood and machismo of a Firm. The films sucks you in, makes the touchy feely outside world look fey as hell, while giving you a sense of finding a station in life. Then it tears that life apart in such a way that you see, clearly that the only way to win this game is… not to play.

Sorry – love WARGAMES, but back to HOOLIGANS – the film doesn’t feel like some after school special about hooking up with the wrong guys. Elijah’s character isn’t made to look stupid, he just makes natural choices. And that’s the key to this film. You have Elijah – a young man recently expelled from Harvard 2 months before graduation, taking the heat for a politically connected roommate that bullies him into the fall. His father, a foreign correspondent isn’t there for him – either in person or on the other end of the phone. Needing direction, he decides to visit his only family member, Claire (drool) Forlani – who married a British bloke and had a kid, he’s never seen.

Showing up with little to no warning, Elijah is quickly put off onto a thuggish brother of his sis’ new hubby. From the introduction of Charlie Hunnam’s character – the film takes off. This isn’t a stylized FIGHT CLUB, this is closer to reality. But make no mistake. Charlie talks the way Elijah wants to talk, ****s the way he wishes he could ****, has the confidence he wishes he had and the respect he could only dream of. Charlie’s character is charismatic and beguiling. Charlie quickly takes a liking to this Bambi in headlights, and like the Great Prince of the Forest – Charlie’s character picks Elijah up when everything else he knows is gone. Yes, I know I went from FIGHT CLUB to BAMBI – but that’s just the feng sui of my kung fu. Anyway – Charlie is a helluva actor – and it was absolutely necessary – because Elijah was doing his best in the film. When you see Elijah watching Charlie – you see the sincere admiration he has. You get the idea, he’s been living his Father’s dream his whole life, hoping to catch his attention, and be respected.

When Charlie begins to reflect some of that attention and focus it back on Elijah – you see Elijah begin to fill out. There’s a sense of worth flowing into him. A confidence. He has found a place. The line he says in narration about once you get in your first fight and realize you’re not made of glass… says quite a bit. Now I know what you’re thinking, Elijah Wood… Fight?

I think that’s the real key to this movie’s success. In the old days of Hollywood – you had scrappy juvenile actors that made tough. Folks like Mickey Rooney, Dick Powell and to a degree James Cagney. Guys that were small looking wide-eyed types – that forever transformed their image by getting dirty. Elijah’s doing that in this film and SIN CITY. In Rodriguez’s flick – it’s stylized badass. Here. Here he shows it with grit and determination. It isn’t that he’s the **** of the walk – it’s that he’s tough enough to not give an inch (centimeter).

This is really his story. And like a great morality tale about life – there’s always a question of where his life will turn. It isn’t an easy turn – it’s ferocious and brutal because this film has balls. Sure it was directed by “a girl” – Lexi Alexander, but this “girl” like Elijah is more than just the pretty pictue you see. Lexi was the world kick boxing champion. And no, that doesn’t mean you got a bunch of British thugs do fancy smancy kicks and twirls. No – this is street fight fu. Broken teeth, raw knuckled bruised and bloody – kick the ****er while he’s ****ing down till he don’t even think of getting back up. These sequences of fighting remind me of that cool as hell film Russell Crowe did ROMPER STOMPER. It has that sort of fury and meanness. BUT – these guys – these Hooligans aren’t pieces of ****. They’re regular guys that – just get way too carried away in this misplaced sense of duty and pride.

In the end – there is something you take with you from this movie. The same thing Elijah takes when you see him at the end of the film. The final step in leaving the childhood of life and becoming a man. A MAN. And whatever studio picks this winner up. If they sell it that way, as a story about youth to manhood – they’ll have a helluva film on their hand. It’s easy to look at Elijah as a kid – this film makes you see him as a man. Helluva good movie. This was truly the winner at SXSW this year. Sometimes at festivals movies win the top award - but the festival audience doesn't really agree. Well I saw the film on the second to the last day of the festival. Now at SXSW - traditionally the screenings I attend in the last few days are sparsely attended. The Music part of the festival kicks in, and when you have 1500 bands playing - the entertainment crunch pulls folks out of theater seats into smokey drunken debauchery. Well - here... Not only did the final screening fill up on just badges alone - but they had to turn away about 300 folks - and many of my friends - upon arrival at the theater just turned back home knowing there was no way in. When the crowds trying to see a film grow over the course of a festival - that's some powerful word of mouth kicking in. This film really deserved that type of response.
To British Talkbackers Below: You haven't seen the film. Stop and think that perhaps - just maybe - this film isn't about GLORIFYING THEM - but organically - through showing a character caught up in their world - it reveals it for what it is. Look at that first paragraph. Does that sound glorified? Over the course of the film - the Firms are shown to be hypocritical backstabbing and utterly worthless. They are about as far from "cool" as possible - except to those in it and their misperceptions about themselves. And only till the day they get their ass handed to them.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:18 PM
Loyal Fan

This is great!! Can't wait to see this film, Is there a date release?
Thanks for that article StrongPlacebo

Tara
Old 03-23-2005, 02:43 PM
Ultimate Fan

wow cool that was a lot of readin, thanx Hannah
Keeper Of Dom's Arms

Icon by zia319
Old 03-23-2005, 05:30 PM
Part-Time Fan

Want some more great reviews?

(out of five)

LINK TO FULL REVIEW

~Scott Weinberg

Edited highlights only

If you're looking for an actor to capture youthful idealism mixed with tentative insecurity, then Elijah Wood should be atop your list. Sure, it might take a few minutes before you can stop seeing Mr. Wood as "good ol' Frodo," but this actor's got real chops, and he absolutely deserves to be seen as more than just Hobbit-like. He's the heart, the soul, and the anchor of Hooligans and Wood just nails his role in scene after scene.

And even better than Wood's performance is that of Charlie Hunnam as Pete; at first glance his character seems like little more than an irredeemable thug, a posturing tough guy who lives to humiliate and belittle. But as Hooligans goes on, you'll find yourself absolutely hypnotized by Hunnam's performance. He's equal parts ignorant, loyal, scary, charming, confused and fragile. Perhaps best known from his excellent work in the criminally underrated Nicholas Nickleby adaptation from a few years back, this Charlie Hunnam kid is absolutely poised to become a huge star. And soon.

(out of five)

LINK TO FULL REVIEW

~Tim Basham

Edited highlights only

Wood gives a solid performance as the unlikely Yank who helps lead the West Ham Firm to greatness, easily shrugging off any Hobbiton entrapments from “Lord of the Rings”.

Hunnam’s portrayal of Pete is extraordinary.

(Out of five)

LINK TO FULL REVIEW

~ Don R. Lewis

Edited highlights only

The fights are depicted in a brutally real style and the characters all have depth and personalities. I was also impressed by Elijah Wood because, lets face it, there’s no way he’s a tough guy. But as the film progresses and as Matt falls deeper and deeper into the firm, you can honestly believe that the transformation is real.

~JOE LEYDON
Variety
Full review since it is by paid subscription only

Unvarnished verisimilitude, visceral impact and vividly evoked emotional and physical extremes distinguish "Hooligans," the impressive debut feature by German-born helmer Lexi Alexander. The hype machinery will doubtless be fueled by the novelty of a woman directing an intense, unblinkingly violent drama about rabid soccer fans viciously clashing in the streets of London. (This particular woman is a former World Kickboxing champ, a fact that will likely loom large in the press coverage.) Still, drama will require special handling (and imaginative selling) to click in theatrical and homevid venues with U.S. auds whose interest in the sport is less than rabid.
"Hooligans" won both the grand jury prize and the audience award for feature at SXSW -- the first time in fest history that both awards have gone to same pic.
Alexander cleverly makes a running gag of American attitudes about Brit football while using a Yank as p.o.v. protag to guide audaud through possibly unfamiliar territory. In the scenario the helmer co-wrote with Dougie Brimson and Josh Shelov, ace journalism student Matt Buckner (Elijah Wood) is kicked out of Harvard weeks before graduation when his roommate, scion of a wealthy political clan, frames him to take the fall for cocaine found in their dorm suite.
Matt flies to London to visit expat sister Shannon (Claire Forlani), who's married to devoted yet moody Steve Dunham (Marc Warren). But Matt arrives at an inopportune time, so he's temporarily passed off to Steve's boisterous brother, Pete (Charlie Hunnam of Douglas McGrath's "Nicholas Nickleby"), who's frankly hostile to unwelcome Yank visitors.
Begrudgingly respectful of Matt's attempt to rebuff his intimidating tactics, however, Pete decides to take the tourist under his wing. He introduces Matt to his friends, fellow members of the GSE -- Green Street Elite -- the fan-comprised "firm" that loyally supports the West Ham football team. (Under no circumstances, Pete warns Matt, should the Yank ever use the word "soccer.")
Matt proves to be an unexpectedly tenacious (albeit inexperienced) fighter when the GSE takes on thugs from an opposing firm.That's more than enough to ingratiate Matt with the GSE members.
However, when the instinctively suspicious Bovver (Leo Gregory) uncovers evidence suggesting Matt may be an undercover journalist, he betrays the Yank and the entire GSE to Tommy Hatcher (Geoff Bell), a rival firm boss with a long-standing beef against Pete's family.
Evidencing a no-B.S. approach to hand-to-hand (and brick-to-head) mayhem that's unusual in this era of ever-increasing CGI body counts, Alexander dares to present a type of movie violence that's all the more unsettling for its blunt-force simplicity. She walks a fine line between honest dramatization and cynical exploitation, all the while acknowledging that, like it or not, there's something undeniably exhilarating about kicking ass.
"Hooligans" owes a great deal to "The Firm," the late Alan Clarke's near-legendary 1988 pic starring Gary Oldman in a career highlight perf as an increasingly violent football fan. But Alexander repays the debt by never shying away from showing how even seemingly civilized men can become animalistic while hunting in packs.
Wood is burdened with some of the pic's most tin-eared, over-emphatic dialogue -- script could have used at least one more rewrite to scrape away the more obvious cliches -- and he lays on the moist-eyed innocence a tad too thickly in early scenes. But he's very adept at rendering Matt's evolution during his slow, steady immersion into a culture of violence.
Often resembling Brad Pitt’s younger, more pissed-off sibling, Hunnam hits the perfect balance of authority and anarchy, low cunning and instinctive decency. For all his madcap brawling and bad-boy attitude, he has more than sufficient gravitas to banish a traitor from the firm with a succinct command -- "Go away!" -- and make it sound like the sudden judgment of an angry god.
In key supporting roles, Warren and Bell score with forceful portrayals, and Forlani breathes fresh life into the stock role of a woman who wants her man to stop scuffling with other folks. Gregory memorably limns all aspects of a character who's equal parts Iago, Judas Iscariot and Jedediah Leland. Lenser Alexander Buono and editor Paul Trejo make violent sequences crackle with a genuinely terrifying anything-can-happen excitement.
Regardless of how "Hooligans" fares, pic amply demonstrates that Alexander -- director of "Johnny Flynton," 2003 Oscar nominee for dramatic short -- has the chops to bring a fresh take to onscreen rough stuff. Hollywood will beckon.

Last edited by RedRockSedona; 03-24-2005 at 09:27 PM
Old 03-24-2005, 04:47 AM
Total Fan

Tara, you can call me Hannah, it's less of a mouthful!

Dori (that's right, isn't it? ) Thanks for those two.

It seems to be a roaring success then
Old 03-24-2005, 04:55 AM
Ultimate Fan

yeah i jus cant wait to go see it!
Keeper Of Dom's Arms

Icon by zia319
Old 03-24-2005, 01:08 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongPlacebo
Tara, you can call me Hannah, it's less of a mouthful!

Dori (that's right, isn't it? ) Thanks for those two.

It seems to be a roaring success then
No problem. And yes it is Dori

After Brek said on the last thread that she had seen some bad reviews as well as the very good ones. I went looking and so I am finding lots of reviews but honestly my search has only found one bad review. It was from some newspaper movie-news critic out of Huston TX who said he walk out after 45 minutes. (which leaves about an hour left unseen) Personally I have a big problem with critics who say they walk out of films and especially when then only report that they have a problem with the direction and/or the script and then not go into specifics. The worse films that I have seen that had also nearly caused me to walk out (Gremlems and Cable Guy) I hated them for more than just their direction or for their scripts but I still stayed and I am not a critics paid by a newspaper so where is crediblity?

Also the best critics will tell you that they wait until the end just in case there is something that's redeaming in an otherwise bad film. so I am at this critic's accountability
Old 03-24-2005, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Fan

thats so true, i believe that too, the only film i nearly walked out of was Nutty Porffeser 2, but then it got a little better so i stayed!
Keeper Of Dom's Arms

Icon by zia319
Old 03-24-2005, 04:47 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongPlacebo
Elijah plays the American who gets kicked out of Harvard and goes to England, whwere he meets Charlie Hunnam who gets him into football hooliganism.

I like the blowing bubbles titel. good choice. You'll have to PM one of the mods to change it though
Can't wait to see this movie. I really like Charlie also.

Changed the title... Hope it worked.

Shelly

It's a Sarkney thing, you wouldn't understand...
Old 03-25-2005, 06:17 AM
Total Fan

It hasn't worked. The title will have to be ironic then

I can't believe a critic walked out! That's so stupid! How can you review a film you haven't seen?! Well, I shall entirely disregard him. Which I probably would have done anyway.