Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 03-28-2004, 11:13 PM
Extreme Fan

Thanks for that article, Lex. Cannot wait for this film! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 03-29-2004, 02:22 AM
Ultimate Fan

So, May 7th.. right after the GG dvd. So hopefully we'll get a lot of talk show appearances in late April/ early May. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

junkie | LG fanlisting | My babies | Life's a Bitch

The Seeress of the High Desert
Old 04-01-2004, 07:48 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by ~Kitty:
<STRONG>So hopefully we'll get a lot of talk show appearances in late April/ early May. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]</STRONG>
I'm looking forward to that.

I'm guessing this film will be in limited release right?
Old 04-05-2004, 11:25 PM
Master Fan

OMG! This early review makes me so incredibly happy! [img]smilies/clap.gif[/img]

Vail Daily News

Quote:
Our next film [was], writer and director Wally Wolodarsky's upbeat romantic comedy, "Seeing Other People," starring Jay Mohr, Lauren Graham, Josh Charles, Julianne Nicholson and Andy Richter.

Wolodarsky's original story about an engaged couple who agree to a sexual free-for-all with other people before settling down to get married was both hilarious and endearing.

I'll admit, I liked "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days," but this movie, which could have been called "How to Lose Your Fiancee in 10 Weeks," was heaps better - so funny at points that you couldn't hear the dialogue because of the audience's laughter.

There was one sequence in the film where Alice's fiance, Ed, played by Jay Mohr, gets ditched in the ghetto by his 20-something crackhead girlfriend after he fumbles up a threesome opportunity with her and a friend.

There's hard proof here that seeing other people isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Believe me, if you happen to be in one of the four major cities that the film will be released in later this year - New York, L.A., Chicago and Dallas - run out and see it.
Dangit, if it's that funny I might consider a road trip to Dallas! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-06-2004, 05:15 AM
Elite Fan

Ohh, that's a great review. Seems like it'll be a funny movie.

Thanks for posting, Alexis.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:48 PM
Master Fan

Damn you, I was just coming to post that. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] I get so exicited when I get Lauren news for y'all.

-*- Journal || LG Media Alerts -*-
Old 04-08-2004, 10:55 PM
Master Fan

Ouch. Looks like this one's a love it or hate it type movie. Not unlike Bad Santa in that respect I guess. It's rated R too...interesting.

slantmagazine.com 1.5 stars out of 4
Quote:
Seeing Other People
Cast: Jay Mohr, Julianne Nicholson, Lauren Graham, Bryan Cranston, Josh Charles, Andy Richter, Matthew Davis, Jill Ritchie and Helen Slater
Directed by: Wallace Wolodarsky
Screenplay by: Maya Forbes and Wallace Wolodarsky
Distributor: Lantern Lane Entertainment
Runtime: 90 min
Rating: R
Year: 2004

Is Seeing Other People the pilot for a failed FOX sitcom spread out to an impossibly long 90 minutes for the big screen? All signs point to yes. The first clue is the Comic Sans Serif font used for the film’s opening title sequence. That’s the same font the creators of the The Simpsons use (director Wallace Wolodarsky used to write for the show and The Tracy Ullman Show), and the cast constitutes a roll call of current and ex-Rupert Murdoch employees: Jay Mohr (Action), Julianne Nicholson (Ally McBeal), Bryan Cranston (Malcolm in the Middle) and Andy Richter (Andy Richter Controls the Universe). Hell, MadTV’s Alex Borstein even makes a very humorous power cameo. Oh, there’s also Mimi Rogers. She appeared on The X-Files, right? These FOX associations are distracting not only because Seeing Other People is paced and shot like a lame knock-off of the two best shows on television, Arrested Development and HBO’s Curb Your Enthusiasm, but because it’s easy to be sidetracked by a film this shrill and self-involved. Ed (Mohr) and Alice (Nicholson) are going to get married, but because Alice doesn’t feel she’s lived the life of a whore, she decides that they should **** other people. Cynical to the core, Seeing Other People wishes to connect with seven-year-itchers and their ilk. You know: anyone who’s in a fizzling relationship but is too chicken-**** to break things off, so they decide to open the relationship up as a means of easing their way out of it. Petty justifications (monogamy is a social construct) and rules (no sex with someone else inside our bedroom) ensue. Yada yada yada. Been there, done that. I’d be tempted to call Seeing Other People the most honest film of the year, except it has a way of trivializing and making a spectacle of the very spectacles its attempting to give a face to. Indeed, most of the time the filmmakers can’t decide whether they want to sympathize or make fun of their characters. Because none of this is new or provocative, what is Seeing Other People in the end but a selfish film for selfish people?

Ed Gonzalez
© slant magazine, 2004.
Article that quotes Gavin Polone. From Filmstew.com
Film won star Julianne Nicholson the Best Actress award at The U.S. Comedy Arts Festival in Aspen.

Quote:
Friday, March 19, 2004

Pariah Lights Lantern for People

Film won star Julianne Nicholson the Best Actress award at The U.S. Comedy Arts Festival in Aspen.

By Mark Umbach

LOS ANGELES
Gavin Polone's Pariah has teamed up with Lantern Lane Entertainment for the theatrical release of the Pariah-produced comedy Seeing Other People, starring Jay Mohr and Julianne Nicholson. Pariah and Lantern Lane plan to release the film in Los Angeles and New York, as well as two other markets, on May 7th, with other cities being added shortly thereafter.

Written by Maya Forbes and Wally Wolodarsky and directed by Wolodarsky, Other People centers on a young couple who, just a few months before they exchange their vows, agree to let each other have a few last flings to get it out of their system. The resulting endeavors prove comical on both sides. Lauren Graham, Bryan Cranston, Josh Charles, Andy Richter, Matt Davis, Jonathan Davis and Liz Phair also star.

"In every way I have invested more in Seeing Other People than any other project during my career," explained Polone. "Therefore, I wanted to feel very secure in the company which would distribute the film. David Garber and Lantern Lane really impressed me with their handling of the release of Nick Broomfield's last film [Aileen: Life and Death of a Serial Killer], and I feel confident, given how great and commercial our movie is, that we will succeed."

Lantern Lane, headed by Garber, reps indie producers and is a sales organization making its way into the theatrical release arena. The company made its first theatrical release with Aileen and went on to broker the deal between Newmarket Films, DEJ and Media 8 for Monster, the film based on Aileen Wuornos' life that won Charlize Theron a Best Actress Oscar.

"I'm thrilled Gavin has entrusted Seeing Other People to Lantern Lane," noted Garber. "Having watched so many of my friends enjoy the success of their theatrical releases, I decided I wanted a more hands on, direct contact with certain films. With its great cast and a terrific premise, this very funny and charming film will help Lantern Lane evolve into a more established theatrical presence."

Pariah most recently produced the Johnny Depp-starring Secret Window and is in pre-production on Flowergirl, which is set up at New Regency. Other feature credits for the company include Drop Dead Gorgeous, Stir of Echoes and Panic Room.
More lovers

Quote:
HBO US COMEDY ARTS FESTIVAL 2004 FILMBUZZED
(2004-03-18)
filmBUZZ offers a branded methodology called a BUZZ Score, which captures audience reaction and looks at a combination of traits to determine the overall marketability of a film. These traits include:

Overall film quality
The likelihood of audience members to recommend the film to others
The potential for the film to generate revenue through theatrical, home video, or television distribution

Here are the top BUZZ Scores from the HBO US Comedy Arts Festival, which took place in Aspen, CO from March 3-7.

My Date With Drew 90.3
Super Size Me 90.2
Mail Order Bride 87.5
Seeing Other People 86.1
Straight-Jacket 85.5

For more info, visit the filmBUZZ website.
[ 04-08-2004: Message edited A. B. Normal ]
Old 04-17-2004, 08:32 PM
Master Fan

You can watch the trailer here...I guess, it's taking me forever, still haven't seen it.

Nice slogan. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]
Seeing Other People
Be honest. You want to.

ETA: I got it to work! Lauren's actually in it, WOOHOO! "I can't believe you had a nooner!" [img]smilies/rotfl.gif[/img] Oh man, I can see this, Lauren playing b*tchy, business suity...kind of like Angelica in Sweet November if she had had some more lines! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I hope people on this board see this movie and report back!

[ 04-17-2004: Message edited A. B. Normal ]
Old 04-18-2004, 05:34 AM
Elite Fan

Man, the trailer won't start for me. I click, but nothing happens. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Ohh wait, it worked now. It was just me being stupid.

The movie actually seems kinda funny. "Aren't they just doing what we all wish we could do?" Hee!

Seems like Lauren plays a little bitchy and I love it. Love it, love it, love it. And she's all businesswoman and suitwearing. Love it even more.

[ 04-18-2004: Message edited Eliii ]
Old 04-18-2004, 11:21 AM
Loyal Fan

Here are some caps I made from the trailer.

MMS Supporter #27
ESK Supporter #22
ILY Supporter #18
PDA Supporter #21
WYMM Supporter #26
LL Supporter #19
MMMS Supporters #12
Old 04-18-2004, 01:24 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Eliii:
<STRONG>"Aren't they just doing what we all wish we could do?" Hee!

Seems like Lauren plays a little bitchy and I love it. Love it, love it, love it. And she's all businesswoman and suitwearing. Love it even more.</STRONG>

That line made me laugh too, especially since she said it sitting next to her boyfriend (I assume, since he's her "love interest") and he follows with "Yes!"

I love that she's playing someone not nice. I can't believe in all the characters she's played, she's never played the B*tch role!

WOW!! Thanks for the caps, that's so cool! Her hair is so blond in the first scene.
Old 04-18-2004, 02:39 PM
Master Fan

I got the trailer to work but it wasn't working really well for me since I'm on dail-up, but it seemed funny from what I picked up. I hope it goes to more theaters.

-*- Journal || LG Media Alerts -*-
Old 04-18-2004, 06:36 PM
Master Fan

From mixedreviews.net

There's more to the review, but this part pertains to Lauren.

Quote:
What SEEING OTHER PEOPLE does have going for it is an incredibly talented cast, sophisticated performers who chew on the timid dialogue like witty panthers feasting on gazelles. Mohr -- whose picture appears next to the word 'underrated' in the dictionary, for his impressive work in standup, film (Jerry Maguire) and television (Action) -- finds a tender but passionate core for Ed, a confused guy who knows, if not right from wrong, at least right from not right...until his penis starts doing the thinking. The supporting cast includes Lauren Graham (Gilmore Girls), slicing up the screen as Alice's cranky, feisty sister; Bryan Cranston (Malcolm in the Middle) as Graham's pathetic lothario husband; John Charles (Sports Night) as the brutish skirt chaser Lou; and Andy Richter (Conan O'Brien Show), who finds unexpected pathos in the Carl, the lonely voice of reason. There are notable cameos from Mimi Rogers, Helen Slater, Alex Borstein, and Liz Phair, which pepper the film with Hollywood cred and pop-cultural fizziness.
Wow, okay, guessing Josh Charles as the love interest is wrong? Unless they get together at some point (totally possible if he's a skirt chaser). Bryan Cranston plays her husband, interesting, he looks crazy in this film. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] Hmm, he has a Q&A on his official site, but I don't think he's gone on there in a while, I might ask a question about Lauren. He may decide to post when the movie comes out. Never hurts to ask...Alex Borstein was cool. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 04-18-2004, 07:11 PM
Extreme Fan

Thanks for the trailer captures! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-18-2004, 07:37 PM
Loyal Fan

I have a ton more, just trying to find somewhere to upload them all [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

MMS Supporter #27
ESK Supporter #22
ILY Supporter #18
PDA Supporter #21
WYMM Supporter #26
LL Supporter #19
MMMS Supporters #12