Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 12-15-2003, 08:38 PM
Master Fan

Coney Island [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] You can search online too, I think http://www.iloveny.com/ is a website with stuff.

-*- Journal || LG Media Alerts -*-
Old 12-15-2003, 09:32 PM
Extreme Fan

Hey! I'm a New Yorker too!

Coney Island's fun but it's really cold so I wouldn't advise standing outside all that much. She should just get on over to Manhattan. There's just too much to do. I can spend a whole day just going up and down Times Square. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-15-2003, 09:45 PM
Master Fan

Ooh, that's true Mike! Heh, yeah, you wouldn't think my Louisiana born and raised sister could stand the cold, but she works as a lifeguard and sits in the cold at 4 am in her swim suit every day. Okay, so what's your absolute favorite thing to do in NYC then? After 5:30pm that is. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-15-2003, 09:56 PM
Extreme Fan

Since I'm only 18 and can't go to the bars and clubs unless I sneak in.. I'd suggest going to Mars 2112. It's a fun restaurant with really good nightlife. It's always active there. I'm kind of a bore. There's so much to do though! AH! Tell her to go ice-skating in Rockefeller Center. At night, it's so beautiful! She might have to wait on a long line but by skating.. under the tree.. and there's sort of a restaurant/cafe thing down there.. It's just beautiful. Plus, there's an awesome J-Crew right there but that prob. won't be open so ignore that.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:04 PM
Master Fan

See my sister isn't very religious but she goes on mission trips all the time b/c a)she loves to work and help out others and b) she gets to travel places she'd otherwise never get to go. Problem is she goes with sometimes very religious people who wouldn't be caught dead anywhere that's like a hoppin night club or anything. They had already planned to go to one place, a cafe and that's why my sister called, she wanted to do something a little more fun.

So, I'll tell her about the places you suggested, Mike, now I have like a list. That's awesome! Thanks so much!

I've only been to NYC once, but like you were saying, the greatest thing about that city is you could go 30 times and probably do something completely different each time you go.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:53 PM
Extreme Fan

Your welcome. Hope I helped somewhat. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Where do they stay on the mission trips? [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]

[ 12-15-2003: Message edited crazymike4 ]
Old 12-15-2003, 11:34 PM
Ultimate Fan

I've never been to New York, but I'm obsessed with the place. Read books, travel guides, read up about it on the net. Even bought 'New York' merchandise!

Yet, I'm still a California girl. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

junkie | LG fanlisting | My babies | Life's a Bitch

The Seeress of the High Desert
Old 12-15-2003, 11:56 PM
Master Fan

Mike, they're staying in a newly renovated church. Sleeping on the third floor on sleeping bags. Actually, she's supposed to be in Brooklyn, but I just got off the phone with her and she said it looks like Chinatown. [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img] They got lost on the subway twice already on their first day, b/c there's no "adult" with them. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] She said thanks for the recommendations!

She had a follow up question about Mars...is it expensive? They're on a budget...college students. LOL.

Kitty, Dang, I should have asked you for places to go then if you're so educated about NYC! I want to go to Cali so bad. I wish every summer, but we always end up someplace different. I hope this year it's CA though. My parents are kind of afraid of it b/c they went to San Diego a couple years ago and had to evacuate the hotel at like 3AM for an earthquake.
Old 12-16-2003, 01:51 AM
Master Fan

I'm probably too late, Alexis, but next time you talk to your sister, tell her to go to FAO Schwarz. They're closing it soon so if she hasn't been before, or even if she has, tell her to go visit it one last time.

I still can't believe they're closing that store!
Old 12-16-2003, 01:59 AM
Master Fan

OOoh, I know Steph! My other sister was telling me that today. That's horrible...Christmas in that place is sacred. Can't they name it a historical site or something? Anyway, they get this Friday as a free day, so I'll tell her to make sure and stop there. Take a picture at least.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:13 AM
Ultimate Fan

[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] The funny thing about earthquakes is that I've lived in Southern California all my life.. my childhood years in San Diego and my teen years in Los Angeles and I've only been in a few major earthquakes and a couple minor can't-barely-feel-them earthquakes. Ther really major one was the Jan. 1994 earthquake in Northridge (Los Angeles), woke everyone up about 4am. I remember Kevin calling me right after the earthquake and asking me if my house was still standing! It was pretty bad.. it took out the freeway that leads us from the high desert to Los Angeles so everyone that commuted had to take the monorail for two weeks. It was definately felt in San Diego! But earthquakes are nothing to be afraid of, they don't come around too often!

I scared my sister n' law the last time she came down here.. the San Andreas fault runs through our valley and the freeway cuts right through it. We were driving towards L.A. and I told her to look at the 'mountains' at either side of us. Then I told her we were in the middle of an earthquake fault! Oh, the next coolest thing to do is when you are traveling on a bridge or one of those really high freeway over pass and you scream, "EARTHQUAKE!" My mom has actually reached into the backseat and slapped me once for doing that! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

If you do ever come here, drive through Hollywood Hills. Maybe one of those houses is Lauren's. Of course, she's in New York during the summer!

Old 12-16-2003, 04:19 PM
Master Fan

FAO Schwartz is closing? [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] Wow, I remember going in there. One of my favorite places to go when I visit NYC is to go to the NBC Store, I don't know why but I love it there - I think it's the lights! Last time we ate at this really great restaurant, that a native told us to eat at and I forget what it's called now. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] I must ask my friends if they remember what it was.

I want to go to LA sometime and do all the cheesy pop culture freaks do, b/c I'm a pop culture freak!

-*- Journal || LG Media Alerts -*-
Old 12-20-2003, 09:48 PM
Elite Fan

I'm way late in adding this...

Mars 2112 is pretty cool. It's definitely a unique restaurant.

Not too surprised they're closing FAO Schwarz. It's kind of weird that they're closing the one in NYC since that one's so well-known, but it's not a real shock. They closed the one down here about a year ago, which was kind of sad.
Old 12-20-2003, 10:33 PM
Extreme Fan

I hadn't had a clue that FAO Schwartz was closing either. That's sad.
Old 12-21-2003, 06:59 AM
Ultimate Fan

I didn't know either. I haven't been reading up on New York lately. Maybe I should start again.

Cher, I hope you do get to come out here to L.A. sometime. If you ever do, tell me! I'd love to show you around.. well, what you would have time for in such a limited time. Since L.A.'s so big, it's good to have an idea of what you want to see before coming so you can get directions on how to get there. When Carmen came here, her and a friend spent all day looking for the Hollywood sign and found it a few days later! Didn't help that it was cloudy!

I'm finally getting my computer! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] After years of asking Kevin to build me one.. I'm finally getting it. We already ordered the case and parts so I should have it together later this week, or next.. the holidays and all! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]