Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 02-21-2004, 09:05 AM
Ultimate Fan

Ya know, every time I hear that voice over on that site, I'm more and more convinced that it's done by one of those voice programs where all you have to do is record the person's tone and you speak into a mike and it comes out sounding like another person!

Anywho.. here's the interview.. it's pretty general, we've seen these answers before.

Quote:
She plays a mother on television, but in real life Lauren Graham is flying solo and souring through Hollywood. Appearing in the upcoming comedy Bad Santa, alongside Billy Bob Thornton, Lauren is building quite a name for herself. Let's get to know the girl behind the Gilmore duo...

Lindzi.com: What were your childhood years like?

Lauren Graham: I was from an academic family. I could read when I was four and a half because my dad read to me every night. We spent a lot of time in bookstores when I was a kid. Grades were always important. Where I went to college was important.

Lindzi.com: You majored in English in college. Why'd you go back to get your masters in acting?

Lauren Graham: That had more to do with not being able to get an agent. I got out of college in New York City and wasn't any closer to the business than had I arrived from elsewhere. I waitressed at night and worked at Barney's during the day. I felt like it was a dead end. I didn't know how I was going to get out. I knew someone who had gotten an agent through a showcase that they did at the end of a training program. It's a three year gamble. You hope that, at the end, it'll all work out. I didn't think I'd stay for the full program, but I did and I landed an agent through the showcase.

Lindzi.com: What was it like going to college in such a huge city?

Lauren Graham: It was an intense experience moving from the suburbs to New York City. It's amazing to think that I was seventeen when I went to college. I had never spent much time in NYC, but I knew that's where I wanted to be because I knew I wanted to act. But to go to school there and have the city outside your window is a big change. It's an overwhelming campus.

Lindzi.com: What'd you do during your college years?

Lauren Graham: I ushered at a lot of theaters. I got to see plays. I got to know the city which was helpful when I moved there after school. It's part of being ambitious at an early age. I was in such a hurry. I could have easily gone somewhere in the woods and enjoyed my education. The most fun thing I did was I was part of this [singing] group -- that was as close to a sorority or a traditionally collegiate experience that I got in New York. It was a good group of friends. Most of whom, I'm still friends with today. We were a comedy/sketch singing group. It was creative, but it was fun. It satisfied both a social activity and the performance aspect of what I was looking for.

Lindzi.com: Would you agree that Hollywood types are similar to high school or college students?

Lauren Graham: That's an interest analogy. It does become a community. It's a public business so people know who the successful writers and actors are. People form an opinion based on what they hear about people or, sometimes, on appearance. High school is similar in that you're being judged on things that are, often, superficial. It can also be a supportive group. It's an amazing thing to be in a place where most people do what you do. Sometimes that's exhausting and sometimes it's comforting.

Lindzi.com: When was the last time you doubted yourself?

Lauren Graham: Every second. Self doubt is a part of being a human being, but it's part of being a creative person as well.

Lindzi.com: What's it like working with your co-star, Alexis Bledel?

Lauren Graham: We're helpful and friendly to each other. She has made her own way. She's a strong person. She had her own opinions when she came here. She has a sane, grounded view of the world.

junkie | LG fanlisting | My babies | Life's a Bitch

The Seeress of the High Desert
Old 02-21-2004, 03:56 PM
Master Fan

Lauren is so cool. Thank you, Kitty.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:22 AM
Master Fan

that is so cool [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-12-2004, 10:02 AM
Master Fan

Okay, this is very old, but I have definitely never seen it. The end is soooooo cute! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Quote:
Copyright 2002 Nationwide News Pty Limited
Herald Sun (Melbourne, Australia)
May 22, 2002, Wednesday
SECTION: HOME ENTERTAINMENT GUIDE; Pg. H04
LENGTH: 588 words
HEADLINE: Gilmore girl talk
BYLINE: Robert Fidgeon

BODY:
A Hollywood legend lurks at the bottom of their garden, writes Robert Fidgeon

WE'RE sitting in the cramped back garden of the Gilmore family home, but there's no sun. In fact, despite being the middle of the day, it's almost dark and decidedly chilly.

Truth is, the garden is a fraud. It's an indoor studio set on the Warner Bros lot in Burbank. It's almost dark because the huge lights that provide the "sun" have been turned off. The trees and bushes are fake, the stone fence is made of styrofoam.

But for all that it's a small area steeped in Hollywood history.

Sixty years ago this garden was an airport tarmac where Humphrey Bogart made his famed "ain't worth a hill of beans" speech to Ingrid Bergman, in Casablanca, before she flew out of his life.

Way off in the distance, through the evening mist, you could see the plane waiting for her.

But, like the Gilmore garden, that was fake, too. While it appeared to be way off in the distance, the plane was a half-size model surrounded by small people and children, dressed in adult clothing, to complete the effect.

Alexis Bledel smiles sympathetically at my excitement to be sharing Bogart's space but, at 18, Bogart and Bergman aren't high on her list of priorities.

Bledel, who plays daughter Rory Gilmore in the family comedy-drama Gilmore Girls, is concentrating on the interview. She doesn't enjoy them. The shyness she hoped to defeat by taking up acting, makes the question-and-answer game tough going.

"I've always been terribly shy. Painfully shy, in fact," she says.

At eight years old, her parents suggested she try community theatre in hometown Houston, Texas, in an attempt to overcome her shyness. Gilmore Girls is Bledel's TV debut.

A hit in the US, the show is set in Connecticut and is about a mother, Lorelai, who had her daughter at 16. As a result the pair are often taken for sisters.

Lauren Graham, who plays Lorelai, is is very much at home handling interviews.

"It's not always easy to pull off the mother/daughter/could-be-sisters thing, but the writers do a great job," Graham says.

Viewers and critics agree. The show has won a string of viewers and critics awards.

The tall, dark-haired Graham looks very much like Lorelai. But it's a different matter with Bledel. Dressed in shirt and jeans and wearing glasses, you'd never pick her as Rory.

"It's the glasses, I think," she says. "Which suits me fine, because I'm not recognised away from the set."

The Hawaii-born Graham, 35, has the higher profile, having had roles in NewsRadio, Law & Order, Caroline in the City, and as one of Jerry's girlfriends on Seinfeld.

"I've always been attracted to roles in shows that have a bit of an odd streak, and this certainly does," she says.

"Lorelai has this wonderful relationship with Rory, but a tense relationship with her own parents, who were less than thrilled Lorelai decided to be a single mum at 16."

Bledel and Graham have a great relationship on and off-camera.

"Lauren's my real-life older sister," Bledel says.

Graham smiles and nods towards the far end of the garden where Bogart and Bergman once stood.

"And I'm about to teach her some of the finer things about Hollywood history and some of the greats who have graced this stage," she says, dropping her voice into a Bogart impersonation to deliver another line from Casablanca. "In fact, this could be the start of a beautiful friendship."
This is so weird, it's like same article with a totally different spin, but it's by the same writer! The top one is dated 2002 and I guess 2 years down the road he remembered it differently? [img]smilies/crazy.gif[/img]

Quote:
Copyright 2004 Nationwide News Pty Limited
Herald Sun (Melbourne, Australia)
January 28, 2004 Wednesday
SECTION: HOME ENTERTAINMENT GUIDE; Pg. H08
LENGTH: 487 words
HEADLINE: Girls and ghosts
BYLINE: ROBERT FIDGEON
BODY:
The Gilmores reawaken the spirit of Bogart and Casablanca, writes Robert Fidgeon

INTERIOR shots for the Gilmore Girls are filmed in one of the giant Warner Bros sound stages at Burbank, California.

Walking through the dark, deserted maze of sets, Alexis Bladel points out that this cavernous sound stage lays claim to a significant part of Hollywood movie history.

Stepping from the kitchen of the Gilmore home to the patio, the softly spoken and shy Bladel (right, with screen mum Lauren Graham) explains this is the place where Humphrey Bogart walked off into the fog with Claude Rains in Casablanca in 1942.

"Remember when Bogart says, 'Louie, this could be the start of a beautiful friendship'? Well, this is where he spoke the line. Right here," she says, pointing at the concrete floor at her feet.

She explains how the scene showed Bogie and Rains with the plane way off in the distance.

In fact, the plane, a scale model, was extremely close, with children "playing adults" around it.

Bladel was born 40 years after Casablanca was filmed, but she speaks with pride of the film and some of the Hollywood legends who have worked on this sound stage.

"That's the thing that gets to me most -- the history that's held within these walls," she says.

With her metal-rimmed glasses, pale cream shirt and blue jeans, it is hard to visualise this uncomfortably shy youngster as the girl who plays Rory Gilmore on TV each week,

The shyness, she admits, has dogged her all her life.

"In fact, that's how I got into acting," she says. "When I was about eight, Mum and Dad encouraged me to join a community theatre in Houston in the hope it would help me overcome my shyness. As you can see, it didn't help. I'm hopeless."

Lauren Graham appears out of the shadows to join us and we head out into the bright sunlight.

Graham plays Rory's mum, Lorelai. When the show kicked off, the storyline had single mum Lorelai as 33, with a 17-year-old daughter.

But even off-camera, the pair look more like sisters, with barely 10 years between them.

Graham, 36, plays down her youthful looks.

"Give me a break," she chuckles. "I've never considered myself pretty. They make me look OK, that's all."

Born in Honolulu, Graham spent her first years in Japan, where her grandparents were missionaries.

"My passion was to be a jockey or mounted policewoman, but I got involved in high school plays, became a waitress to make ends meet and finally landed a few commercials, before arriving in LA in 1995."

Bladel, who made her TV debut in Gilmore Girls, started modelling while still in high school.

"I came to Hollywood for the pilot season and landed this show with my first audition," she says.

"I guess I was pretty lucky. The only thing it hasn't cured is my shyness, but I'm working at it."
[ 03-12-2004: Message edited A. B. Normal ]
Old 03-12-2004, 10:22 AM
Ultimate Fan

[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] That's cute. Alexis Bledel really thought acting and modeling would cure shyness? hahaha! My parents thought getting involved in school and plays would cure my shyness.. problem is when you are acting you are a totally different person.. yet in the real world you are still 'you' so the shyness won't go away.

Old 03-12-2004, 01:31 PM
Master Fan

Thank you for those, Alexis. How did you find them? Okay, that's it, I demand that we see an interview with both gals on tv. They are both so darn cute. It's weird but we see them separately on various talk shows but never together. Couldn't "The View" or some women's show do a Mother's Day special with Lauren, Alexis and Kelly.

A year ago I was doing a paper for a graduate course and the subject was "Personality Theories - Shyness." Alexis's name kept popping up as well as some other celebrities.

Do you think that the 2004 article was new or just revised? He didn't interview them twice, did he?
Old 03-12-2004, 09:25 PM
Master Fan

I was doing research on my university's databases and Lexis Nexis has a bunch of articles. Not sure, but I think you have to have a student ID to access it.

Kitty, it was more like her parents thought it would cure her shyness. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

I don't think he interviewed them twice and both times they talked about Casablanca...just weird.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:50 AM
Master Fan

OMFG, she sang at this event!! DAMMIT, I wonder if it's televised? Watch ET and E! tonight, PLEASE! I have class. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] How gorgeous does she look!?

Lauren Graham (l) and Merrin Dungey
Friends of the Breast Program at UCLA Present the Second Biennial "What a Pair!" Cabaret Extravaganza - Show
3/14/2004

I'll post more pics as I find them in the Picture thread. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

ETA: Variety.com
Quote:
Sunday March 14
What a Pair! benefit concert. Evening of musical duets from celebrity performers including Rita Wilson (news) and Lauren Graham (news) to benefit research at Revlon/UCLA Breast Center. (310) 726-9350

This was a feature on it in Los Angeles Magazine's Top 10. That's cute, (but how ironic they put her with Jean Smart...remember the Emmy's?).

MAR. 14. Rita Wilson, Zooey Deschanel, Patricia Heaton, Lea Thompson, Lauren Graham (far left), and Jean Smart (left) warble mitzvah-minded duets for breast cancer research. Call for time and prices. (Proceeds benefit Revlon/UCLA Breast Center.) Royce Hall, UCLA, Westwood, 310-825-2101.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:58 AM
Loyal Fan

MMS Supporter #27
ESK Supporter #22
ILY Supporter #18
PDA Supporter #21
WYMM Supporter #26
LL Supporter #19
MMMS Supporters #12
Old 03-15-2004, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Fan

I have class too! Damn! I'm PM'ing Canopus right now! damn damn damn Damn school! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

I want to come back tonight and see something on Lauren singing!

Old 03-15-2004, 06:07 PM
Dedicated Fan

I love her earrings and dress.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:50 PM
Loyal Fan

Thanks for the news. So does any entertainment news show cover this event?
Old 03-16-2004, 12:20 AM
Master Fan

I don't think it was covered, or if it was they didn't show Lauren. I asked my sister to watch, and when we talked she didn't mention it...so. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2004, 02:36 AM
Ultimate Fan

that sucks that it wasn't televised. I want to hear that woman sing! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Hopefully sometime on the show they'll do a plot where they go to a club and Lorelai sings kareoke.. man I tore up the spelling on that word.. my brain isn't working tonight..usually I can spell it.. oh, karoke.. did I do that one right? hmm.. [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]

Old 03-17-2004, 11:48 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by ~Kitty:
<STRONG>.. oh, karoke.. did I do that one right? hmm.. [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]</STRONG>
karaoke

Can we look forward to the the 100th episode to feature the singing/dancing talents of the cast. Surely this showcase is too good to be ignored by the writers and producers. The GG cast is certainly one of the most talented lot out there.
Ellevee: Yeah...Well, thank you so much Lauren. You don't know how much this means to me.
Lauren: (Smiles and nods) Bye Ellevee. Take care. Ellevee: Bye Lauren
Avi by Ele