Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 11-11-2015, 11:16 AM
Master Fan

I'll also not be able to watch this Saturday since my dad is celebrating his birthday.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:26 PM
Extreme Fan

I'll be away this weekend so I won't be able to watch live either but will join in later.
"There's an expression in the casting business: 'God does not give with both hands.' Meaning, he doesn't give looks plus talent plus comedy. But in her case, he definitely did. It's tough to find someone that pretty who's that funny and has got all the goods." -Mark Hirschfeld
Old 11-11-2015, 08:53 PM
Master Fan

Can anyone watch on Saturday? If Sunday works better for people, we can try that instead.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:57 PM
Master Fan

I'm home this weekend, so I'll probably watch on Saturday. But I can discuss whenever.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:58 AM
Master Fan

I'll be watching in an hour (at 12 noon EST), and I hope some people will join me.
ETA: Alright, starting now!

I love town meetings.

I side with Michel rather than Lorelai on the snow debate, but Lorelai's enthusiasm makes me want to like winter.

There are so many great one-liners in this episode. I love this Lorelai/Emily phone conversation.

It's so weird to see Rory using a beeper. But poor Lane.

I love Luke in this episode. He's just classic Luke, first erupting at a town meeting over a silly town tradition but later showing his kind side by bringing the reenactors hot drinks. I also love Rory and Lane's friendship; I missed that toward the end of the series.

Last edited by CohenGal; 11-14-2015 at 10:46 AM
Old 11-15-2015, 08:26 AM
Master Fan

I love this episode. There's a nice mixture of everything... Lorelai, Rory, townies, Grandparents, etc. And there are soooo many great, quotable lines.

- We get to see our first town meeting! And an awesomely hilarious one at that. I love every second of it.

- Our first introduction to Lorelai's love of snow! She's so cute. Her back and forth with Michel about it in the ep is funny. "You know, 5 minutes in a snowball fight, we could knock that stick right out of your butt."

- I love the line... "Oh, I'm sorry, that must be my other daughter... Schmory." Lauren's delivery is perfect. (As per usual)

- Sookie's "the cookies and the love and the Dean" dance... Adorable.

- Lorelai and Emily's phone call is great. I love the "You get the ark, I'll get the animals" quote so much. I've used that IRL many times over the years.

- It's cute seeing Rory interacting with the grandparents.

- Poor Lane. Though I'm always intrigued by the fact that Mrs. Kim let her stay out overnight.

- Lorelai's pep talk to Lane is so great and sweet, and it drives me crazy when people negatively focus on the times Lorelai says or acts semi-selfishly when she also does soooo many great things for people.

- I love Lorelai's line to Rory... "It's just you and me.... and sometimes Lane." LOL.

- I am forever and ever TeamLuke (his face during the L/M kiss is so 'awww'), but I didn't hate Lorelai and Max as a temporary hurdle on the way to a final L/L pairing... they did have some good banter.

I have such a strong affinity for Season 1, and sadly I've noticed that not everyone (particularly those in the "GG Netflix binge crowd") appreciates its greatness. I've seen a lot of people refer to it as boring. Whereas I think it's some of the smartest, most incredible writing I've ever seen.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:34 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I have such a strong affinity for Season 1, and sadly I've noticed that not everyone (particularly those in the "GG Netflix binge crowd") appreciates its greatness. I've seen a lot of people refer to it as boring. Whereas I think it's some of the smartest, most incredible writing I've ever seen.
I haven't been able to watch this yet (for the 100000th time ), I'll do so tomorrow. But I SO agree with you there. Season 1 was the real heart of the show.
icon: Permanent_99
Old 11-15-2015, 03:04 PM
Loyal Fan

I'll watch it tomorrow night. I really agree about season 1 - the writing is absolutely great.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:34 PM
Master Fan

I watched today!

It's been so long since I've sat and watched a full episode of GG, I forgot how much I missed it.

I like this episode because my favorite band is mentioned by name

But really, I do like it for other reasons.

I really think this shows off Lauren's great chemistry with other actors. I didn't mind Max here. In fact, I liked him. But I felt for Luke when he watched them walking down the road being all cutesy.

Snow. I love that Lorelai is still in love with snow here, and how magical it is. One of my least favorite scenes in the whole series is when she fights with snow later on. So to see her here still loving it makes me happy.

I loved the Town meeting with Lorelai and Rory predicting Luke's blow up! So funny. And one of the thing I like so much about these early episodes. Just the fun of it, and how everyone in the town is so predictable, but in a good way that everyone enjoys.

The Lorelai and Lane scene was sweet. Lorelai has a unique perspective to being a teenager under the microscope, and offered good advice to Lane.

I did always wonder if Rory ever told Lorelai that she took the pictures of her and Chris home with her.

Emily eating the pizza always makes me laugh. She acts like only peasants eat pizza. I'm sure she would have eaten pizza at sometime in her life, maybe in Italy. Maybe she was just offended by the idea of frozen pizza.

Good episode overall. One of my favorites from the early years.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:28 PM
Dedicated Fan

I have a day off tomorrow so will watch it then
Old 11-19-2015, 01:15 PM
Master Fan

We watched the episode with my friend yesterday and we laughed a lot. Some lines are classic and even after so many years they never get old.

Love love the first scene where Lorelai is sitting on her couch and listening to the Max message. The music that goes with it is awesome. I almost can feel the cold breeze when watching this scene.lol

My second favorite sequence is Lorelai´s walk in the snowy Stars Hollow. Even though Im generally a javajunkie I don´t mind Max and I really like Lorelai´s and his scenes in this episode. They had such a good word play. I remember how I always disliked Lane for interupting Lorelai and Max in a wrong moment.hehe

Lorelai/Lauren looked so lovely in this episode.

I guess it´s the first episode where we actually see that Luke pines for Lorelai, right?

Old 11-20-2015, 10:16 PM
Master Fan

We're moving on to season 1 episode 10, "Forgiveness and Stuff," beginning this weekend and lasting through the week. I'll be watching on Saturday (which I guess is technically today!) at noon EST if anyone wants to join me.
Old 11-21-2015, 05:21 AM
Elite Fan

I'll watch before the weekend is over. I've had a crazy week and couldn't rewatch the first one.
In the meantime:

Old 11-21-2015, 10:29 AM
Master Fan

Oh, the Santa burger! I wish someone would make me a disgusting Santa burger.

More Lane and Rory; I like their friendship in this season.

I love Michel.

Oh my gosh, Laurelai’s approach to eating bagged salad is amazing. I admire the lengths she will go to avoid creating dirty dishes.

I really like Lorelai/Dean scenes.

Of course Luke/Lorelai are fantastic in this episode. He knows her so well; she doesn’t even have to finish her sentences. And when she just needs to talk, he lets her talk. I love his line, “I can’t imagine anyone seeing you as a disappointment" and the whole "You look good" scene in the hospital.

Jane Lynch as the nurse is funny.

I love that Emily secretly calls Lorelai from the hospital. She really does care, even though she does a great job of acting unaffected. And I love her reaction to seeing Luke.

Luke is really sweet with Rory. He also has a lovely scene with Emily. It's nice to see him interact with the rest of the Gilmores.

That silent moment where Lorelai and Richard are in the hospital room alone and just look at each other before the others barge in is just heartbreaking.

This episode is sad to rewatch after Ed's passing.

Last edited by CohenGal; 11-21-2015 at 10:42 AM
Old 11-23-2015, 03:15 AM
Elite Fan

I just watched the episode. One of my all-time favorites. It has everything that's good about this show: family dynamics, Lorelai/Rory, Lorelai/Luke, some Stars Hollow craziness.
Quote:
Oh my gosh, Laurelai’s approach to eating bagged salad is amazing. I admire the lengths she will go to avoid creating dirty dishes.
I know, right?? So amazing.
I love how much Luke understands Lorelai even in these early episodes. He just knows what to say to her. And it's good to see him interact with Rory too.

Two, in my opinion, pivotal moments are in this episode. The Santa Burger, and the hat. Things that we fans remember still 15 years later.

How funny is it to see Jane Lynch as a nobody nurse, now that she's exploded?

Lorelai and Richard's moment is so sweet. It's sad they never really managed to talk openly, until the last episode of the series, at least. I hate that we won't have any more Richard in the new Netflix episodes.