Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2015, 11:57 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yay for a 3-day week! Too bad you have to work for one extra day but at least you're getting a long weekend. I envy you. xD
Old 09-22-2015, 12:58 AM
Communications Team Manager
Graphics Team

Moderator of ...
Communications Team

It was going to be 2 extra days because I planned to take Monday too but yeah a 4-day weekend is going to be good. And aw Your month-long vacation a while ago trumps it and every other vacation I have though Do you have any vacations coming up?

JOIN our Communications Team.
| ray
Old 09-22-2015, 03:24 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Oh no, sorry about that. But hopefully you enjoy this break! Yeah, my summer vacation was pretty awesome. xD I am planning to take a week off in mid-October, I haven't actually asked yet but that's just a formality.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:05 AM
Extreme Fan

Have a great break, Ray! A month vacation - never heard of such a thing!

Margo
Old 09-22-2015, 08:00 AM
Graphics Team

Moderator of ...
Communications Team

^ Thanks and yeah other than the school/uni Summer vacations, I have not heard of it either But it's awesome you get one Laura xD

And thanks Laura. Yeah I wouldn't have been too upset about it but I've planned on it for months now and I waited on purpose and didn't take it ahead of time to make sure I don't have anything so when the time came and I requested it, my manager was like "We have a critical assignment that I'll be giving you tomorrow" and I'm like *Seriously!*

But anyway other than that, yeah I'm pretty excited about it. And that's great about a vacation for you in October!

| ray
Old 09-22-2015, 09:20 AM
Fan Forum Legend

4-week summer holiday is totally the norm here. xD We get 6 weeks (30 days) of vacation a year in average.

Oh damn Ray, that really sucks! You should have said no. Seriously though, I can imagine how disappointing it must feel especially since you had been planning it for a long time, but I hope you can make the most of the 4-day weekend, which is pretty cool too.

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to it, with all the business trips and this special project I need a break before everything gets really intense as 2016 approaches.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:47 PM
Graphics Team

Moderator of ...
Communications Team

Lucky! We get half of those (15 days) but, especially because of my company's system, it is recommended that it's taken in bits and pieces throughout the year so no super long vacations at one time.

I wish I could say no "Critical" or "Urgent" is like a sacred word here, if it's attached to a project then you pretty much need to drop life and do it, no complaints This is why a while back I was talking about wanting to find another job, I really do not work well with this kind of system.

I totally get that about you needing a vacation at this point! Just reading about the work and all those business trips, I can definitely see it will be much needed so that's great you'll be able to take one.

[Btw sorry for ranting too much about this/the job in general xD]

| ray
Old 09-23-2015, 07:16 AM
Extreme Fan

Well, I applied for the perfect tutoring job today. I really hope I get it. The child is a first grader having trouble with phonics and reading and he lives in my zip code. I am even free on the nights the parent wants me to tutor.

The only unknown is if we are a good fit. Hopefully I'll get this one!

Margo
Old 09-23-2015, 10:35 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Good luck Margo, I hope you get the job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancing in the rain (View Post)
Lucky! We get half of those (15 days) but, especially because of my company's system, it is recommended that it's taken in bits and pieces throughout the year so no super long vacations at one time.

I wish I could say no "Critical" or "Urgent" is like a sacred word here, if it's attached to a project then you pretty much need to drop life and do it, no complaints This is why a while back I was talking about wanting to find another job, I really do not work well with this kind of system.

I totally get that about you needing a vacation at this point! Just reading about the work and all those business trips, I can definitely see it will be much needed so that's great you'll be able to take one.

[Btw sorry for ranting too much about this/the job in general xD]

I understand that, I guess it's less "disruptive" that way. Some companies probably prefer it that way here too. What's the longest vacation you've had?

Haha, so it's like a magic word. I don't think I'd work well with that kind of system either, I mean I've worked hard and "overtime" (not offocially since we don't have that in our administration) for projects too and was actually asked to do that just yesterday for this big project I'm currently part of because one stage is nearing its end and we've still got so much to do, but it's not like they can order you do that, they can just ask nicely. Anyway, if you still want to find another job, good luck, I hope you do! I can certainly relate to that feeling.

Yeah, the fall is gonna be too long if I don't take a break so I'm really happy I've got the opportunity. Which reminds me, I will need to actually ask for it soon.

And no need to apologize for ranting! This thread is THE place to rant about work. I know I've done it plenty of times.

------

We had a staff recreational day yesterday, I did some golfing which was nice (even though it rained). We actually had to pick 2 activities even though I just wanted to do golf, so I picked wall-climbing but ended up not doing it, just wathching the others. xD

And in the evening I went to a dinner with my sister, brother-in-law and their baby. It was nice.

And then I stayed up for 2 hours after midnight to make art, which I'm regretting now. xD

Last edited by Cereal Killer; 09-23-2015 at 10:53 PM
Old 09-24-2015, 06:11 AM
Extreme Fan

I still haven't heard back from the woman with the 6-year old. I'm trying not to be impatient, but usually the turn-around is pretty quick. Trying not to feel too bummed. This has been a crappy week for me so far, so I'm not in the best frame of mind.

Tuesday night the band director called me out in front of the whole band. I was embarrassed and humiliated. He said I was behind the whole band -- at least in this one piece. At least later on he complimented a very exposed flute and piccolo passage. The effect is that I'm practicing with the metranome more and making a conscious effort to think about moving the music forward.

Margo
Old 09-24-2015, 10:25 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Aw, I'm sorry that happened to you, Margo. But nice that the director gave a compliment too and maybe you can use his criticism to become even better, like it seems you are doing. Good luck with it! And I hope you hear from the potential new student soon!

TGIF! My sister is probably coming over today to help me clean up my place (it's a late Christmas gift ), I need it. xD

And yesterday we got tickets to see Muse next summer, yay!
Old 09-25-2015, 05:56 AM
Extreme Fan

Laura - that's cool you got tickets for Muse. I have a few of their albums and I think they are great!

I loved when Adam sang Starlight -- one of my favorite performances of his.

Enjoy the concert!

Margo
Old 09-25-2015, 08:04 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Thanks, I'm sure I will! This will be our 3rd time seeing them. I have all their albums, they're definitely one of my favorite bands. And Adam did a great job with Starlight! (Also Soaked from FYE is written By Muse's Matthew Bellamy.)
Old 09-29-2015, 12:28 AM
Graphics Team

Moderator of ...
Communications Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereal Killer (View Post)
I understand that, I guess it's less "disruptive" that way. Some companies probably prefer it that way here too. What's the longest vacation you've had?

Haha, so it's like a magic word. I don't think I'd work well with that kind of system either, I mean I've worked hard and "overtime" (not offocially since we don't have that in our administration) for projects too and was actually asked to do that just yesterday for this big project I'm currently part of because one stage is nearing its end and we've still got so much to do, but it's not like they can order you do that, they can just ask nicely. Anyway, if you still want to find another job, good luck, I hope you do! I can certainly relate to that feeling.

Yeah, the fall is gonna be too long if I don't take a break so I'm really happy I've got the opportunity. Which reminds me, I will need to actually ask for it soon.

And no need to apologize for ranting! This thread is THE place to rant about work. I know I've done it plenty of times.

It is but it's very annoying when you just need a long break but can't because this client might need an update or that project needs something to be fixed etc. So because of that, the last proper vacation I got was last year's Christmas vacation which was about 10 days, and that was me just taking 3 days off because the rest were Christmas, New Year's and the weekends.

It is a magic word They "ask nicely" here but you don't really have a choice, if needed, you will be staying overtime. And it's also unofficial here, we don't get paid for it or have it counted for anything.

Hope your project is going well and you get your part done in time. Have you asked for your next month's vacation yet? And thanks about the rant thing

Quote:
We had a staff recreational day yesterday, I did some golfing which was nice (even though it rained). We actually had to pick 2 activities even though I just wanted to do golf, so I picked wall-climbing but ended up not doing it, just wathching the others. xD

And in the evening I went to a dinner with my sister, brother-in-law and their baby. It was nice.

And then I stayed up for 2 hours after midnight to make art, which I'm regretting now. xD
Sounds fun! Even just watching with the wall-climbing activity Nice to hear you went out with your sister's family too. And aw I get the staying-up part Hope you got to make it up later.

So eventhough my vacation was cut short because I couldn't take those two extra days off, I made the most of what I had and went out every day First day I visited my grandparents then went to get some sweets and breakfast. Then the second day, I went shopping with my sister, we each got a top, then we took our mom out to lunch, we had Chinese and it was delicious xD Third day, again with my sister. I actually stopped by my office but it was more for fun, I worked for about an hour but we had breakfast and coffee Then went to lunch and a movie. And the last day, my uncle had returned from a trip abroad so went to visit him and I got to see my other uncle too. And at home, everyday/afternoon, I worked on PS things and got a few projects I had in mind done like the 20in20 icons and a Chasing Life gifset and also started catching up on some Summer shows I'd fallen behind on.

So yeah now back to work

Margo, hope it did work out with that job you were waiting for. And that's too bad about the director calling you out on it in public but at least he did compliment you later.

Cool about the Muse tickets too Laura! I love that band.

| ray
Old 09-29-2015, 06:41 AM
Extreme Fan

I don't think I got the job. Too much time has passed and I don't see it listed anywhere now. Oh well. Maybe another one will come along.

Margo