Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2012, 03:32 PM
Communications Team Manager
Graphics Team

Moderator of ...
Communications Team

Yeah a requirement of becoming a judge should be that they have good vocabulary for describing a performance

Thanks for posting the news about the new panel and that last link. I agree with you guys about Mariah and Keith being the ones to possibly pull this show together, at least from a judging perspective. Nicki might be there for the fun factor and Randy will be there for ... something but hopefully, the rest will be able to actually judge the performances and contestants well.

JOIN our Communications Team.
| ray
Old 09-17-2012, 04:55 PM
Extreme Fan

Thanks for the news, I agree Keith has the most potential to be a good judge
Old 09-18-2012, 01:01 AM
Elite Fan

I wish they provided more hints for the audience to imply which contestants have the potential to go further in the music business from professional prospective instead of pointless compliments, something like "You're so cute!" "I like your shoes!" "Goosebumps, babe!" If they dislike someone, just being honest to point it out.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:11 PM
Extreme Fan

I agree with that on some aspects . It's unfair that they feed them compliments then they crush their dreams.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:10 PM
Elite Fan

But unfortunately, they seemed to make a contrast of the judges' entertaining comments on camera and Jimmy's objective critiques behind the scene. Perhaps they think that most of the contestants are but kids who are too young to take mean words and catastrophic setbacks. They don't wanted the eliminated contestants and their fans to blame them, I think.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:39 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancing in the rain (View Post)
Yeah a requirement of becoming a judge should be that they have good vocabulary for describing a performance

Thanks for posting the news about the new panel and that last link. I agree with you guys about Mariah and Keith being the ones to possibly pull this show together, at least from a judging perspective. Nicki might be there for the fun factor and Randy will be there for ... something but hopefully, the rest will be able to actually judge the performances and contestants well.
Yeah and they should be able and willing to use that vocabulary.

No problem! Keith seems the most level-headed from the first impression. Mariah can be kooky and so can Nicki but that doesn't necessarily mean they can't give good critique. I still don't understand what Randy is doing there. But yeah, I just hope that we don't experience the same 180 with these judges as we did with Jennifer and Steven who seemed to have potential from the few first auditions but then completely dropped the ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_Siobhan_Magnus (View Post)
I wish they provided more hints for the audience to imply which contestants have the potential to go further in the music business from professional prospective instead of pointless compliments, something like "You're so cute!" "I like your shoes!" "Goosebumps, babe!" If they dislike someone, just being honest to point it out.
I completely agree with you, those kinds of "compliments" are just talking to make noise, they do nobody any good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_Siobhan_Magnus (View Post)
But unfortunately, they seemed to make a contrast of the judges' entertaining comments on camera and Jimmy's objective critiques behind the scene. Perhaps they think that most of the contestants are but kids who are too young to take mean words and catastrophic setbacks. They don't wanted the eliminated contestants and their fans to blame them, I think.
You're probably right, they don't want to give a negative impression of themselves that would reflect poorly on the career they were on the show to revive. That's why we need judges who are there to judge, not to pimp their own careers. And if they (judges/producers) think the kids are too young to take negative feedback, how about raising the age limit? I always thought 15 years old is too young. It should be 18 in my opinion.

===

Some pictures of the judging panel from NYC a few days ago:

And a promo pic:

Video from the press conference:

Both Mariah and Nicki make good points about using their experience to help the contestants. Hopefully they will practice what they preach.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:36 PM
Graphics Team

Moderator of ...
Communications Team

Quote:
But yeah, I just hope that we don't experience the same 180 with these judges as we did with Jennifer and Steven who seemed to have potential from the few first auditions but then completely dropped the ball.
That's exactly what I'm hoping. I was really disappointed when that happened.

Quote:
You're probably right, they don't want to give a negative impression of themselves that would reflect poorly on the career they were on the show to revive. That's why we need judges who are there to judge, not to pimp their own careers. And if they (judges/producers) think the kids are too young to take negative feedback, how about raising the age limit? I always thought 15 years old is too young. It should be 18 in my opinion.
Definitely agree with that. Regarding the judges, ones who are there to pimp their careers often are just there to appear on camera and give funny comments. They don't pull their weight enough when it comes to giving constructive criticism to the contestants.

And about the younger contestants, eventhough some are phenomenal, they seem to make the wrong choices because they're still not quite sure about their musical personalities and they seem to go back and forth a lot due to comments and reactions to their performances.

Thanks for all the set and promo pictures! It's an interesting bunch for sure

| ray
Old 09-23-2012, 12:43 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancing in the rain (View Post)
That's exactly what I'm hoping. I was really disappointed when that happened.
Me too. They were really good for the first few auditions and I was actually happy to have them on the show. But then they suddenly started to suck at judging and that never changed back to the way it was.

Quote:
Definitely agree with that. Regarding the judges, ones who are there to pimp their careers often are just there to appear on camera and give funny comments. They don't pull their weight enough when it comes to giving constructive criticism to the contestants.
Exactly. And Jennifer and Steven were doing exactly that close to 2 seasons.

Quote:
And about the younger contestants, eventhough some are phenomenal, they seem to make the wrong choices because they're still not quite sure about their musical personalities and they seem to go back and forth a lot due to comments and reactions to their performances.
Definitely, you can see how desperate they are to please the judges but they just get so confused as to what to believe, they can't take the relevant parts out of the confusing criticism (or "criticism" ) and make it work for them because they for the most part are still lacking a complete musical identity. The most creative contestants have almost always been a bit older with a strong personal style.

Quote:
Thanks for all the set and promo pictures! It's an interesting bunch for sure
You're welcome! Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how they work in live action.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:27 PM
New Fan

Nicki Minaj will be American Idol judge

The complete singer reviewers group, which also includes Keith Urban, Randy Jackson and Mariah Carey.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:05 PM
Graphics Team

Moderator of ...
Communications Team

Welcome to and the AI board Since this thread is used for all misc news about the show, I thought I'd move your post here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereal Killer (View Post)
Me too. They were really good for the first few auditions and I was actually happy to have them on the show. But then they suddenly started to suck at judging and that never changed back to the way it was.
I know! I actually didn't miss Simon so much at first, their comments were pretty accurate and they knew how to approach the contestants, but then nothing.

Quote:
Exactly. And Jennifer and Steven were doing exactly that close to 2 seasons.
So useless! And what bugged me the most is that Jennifer (and the others) came down hard on a couple of the really talented ones (Pia, Haley, ...) when they were actually good but then someone comes in and is awful but has a nice personality maybe or is cute and they're like Beautiful! ... You gave me goosies babe! I mean, come on!

Quote:
Definitely, you can see how desperate they are to please the judges but they just get so confused as to what to believe, they can't take the relevant parts out of the confusing criticism (or "criticism" ) and make it work for them because they for the most part are still lacking a complete musical identity. The most creative contestants have almost always been a bit older with a strong personal style.
Yeah that's exactly how I saw it They flipped a lot and actually veered away from how their music was originally perceived because one judge or another said it didn't work when they should have gone closer to it.

Quote:
You're welcome! Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how they work in live action.
Hopefully it'll be interesting and helpful

| ray
Old 09-26-2012, 01:57 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
You're probably right, they don't want to give a negative impression of themselves that would reflect poorly on the career they were on the show to revive. That's why we need judges who are there to judge, not to pimp their own careers.
No, I think every reality show hires celebrity judges to serve only one purpose, which is attracting viewers by taking advantage of their fanbases. Since Simon left, this is the only strategy to guarantee its rating.

Quote:
And if they (judges/producers) think the kids are too young to take negative feedback, how about raising the age limit? I always thought 15 years old is too young. It should be 18 in my opinion.
Agree with this! It would be a wise choice for the minors to save the chance for X Factor or other less popular shows. Have you watched the spectacular performance of Feeling Good by Carly Rose Sonenclar on X Factor? She was a sweet little brunette with dimples, only aged 13, yet her voice was as amazing as Jackie Evancho! The first high note she hit immediately wowed L.A. who made "jazz hands" and marveled "what" at his fella judges! She even got a standing ovation from all four judges -- yes, all four judges, including Simon! That was tenfold better than Lauren Alaina's!
Old 10-28-2012, 08:56 PM
Fan Forum Legend

We don't need any more "goosies", that's for sure.

===

Two new promo videos plus a new promo pic!

Great promos! I love that even though they introduce the new judges, they highlight the contestants which is what the show should be all about. Also, love them emphasizing that AI is the first and the biggest and the prettiest.

(Also check out the one with Phillip Phillips.)

Nice pic!
Old 10-30-2012, 02:36 AM
Graphics Team

Moderator of ...
Communications Team

That's a cool picture! I like it more than the first official one that came out. Thanks for the promos too, it is good that they know that this show is still about the contestants

| ray
Old 01-09-2013, 06:55 PM
Extreme Fan

^ ^ That's a really nice pic. The promos for this season are good

A few comments from Nigel Lythgoe on the upcoming season. Looks like a few changes, including no wild-card pick, a Top 10 and ranking the singers by vote totals.

Nigel Lythgoe promises major 'American Idol' changes
Old 01-10-2013, 02:48 AM
Graphics Team

Moderator of ...
Communications Team

Thanks for posting that link! Hmm interesting, it seems they're putting a lot of focus on the voting results too.

| ray