Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2017, 02:45 AM
Master Fan

‘American Idol’ on ABC: Judges’ Panel Update | Variety
Old 08-15-2017, 09:46 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Thanks for the news! I guess leting Ryan and Katy influence the choosing of the other two judges can help with the chemistry in the judges' panel.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:34 AM
Communications Team Manager
Graphics Team

Moderator of ...
Communications Team

Thanks for that! It is good that they're building on what they already have instead of just throwing random names in the mix. We wouldn't want a repeat of the disaster that was the S12 judging panel again "Being able to spot talent" is also a good thing to look for although I'm not sure if that in itself can be spotted in the judges xD

JOIN our Communications Team.
| ray
Old 08-18-2017, 11:17 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I agree with you about the S12 disaster. xD Much more sensible way to build a judging panel. And yeah, I'd imagine it could be quite difficult to tell if someone's "able to spot talent" but let's hope they can find people like that.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:10 AM
Graphics Team

Moderator of ...
Communications Team

Yeah hopefully it works out that way even if it's not intentional with the choices

| ray
Old 08-20-2017, 12:39 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I really do hope the judging panel will be good in every aspect.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:45 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
American Idol auditions start this week — how much pressure is there to lock in the judges before those begin?

These auditions are different. Obviously we need judges by the time their auditions start, and that doesn’t start for a bit, so we have some time. The most important thing is we have one seat filled with Katy Perry, and now it’s making sure we have the right chemistry around that. As we’ve seen with all these shows, whether it’s Idol or any of the music shows, the chemistry of the judges can make or break the show. There’s been some thought that we rushed into Katy Perry, and that wasn’t it. She has a tour to plan, so we needed to make that deal pretty quickly. We’re being selective and very careful when thinking about the judges. Now that we know Katy, we want to make sure the other judges complement her. It’s really something where the whole is bigger than the parts.

What has been the most challenging part of the Idol reboot process?

There is an expectation of: How is the show going to be ABC’s American Idol? And staying true to what made it so great and beloved in the first place. It’s a unique opportunity for not just ABC but for the Walt Disney Company, because you see what we’ve done when we’ve had these brands like Marvel or Star Wars and finding new and different ways while still keeping the DNA of these properties that people love. That’s the same with Idol. When you look at it in the TV landscape, Idol is definitely as big of a brand as any of those.

Are there any changes to the traditional Idol format that viewers should look forward to seeing?

It’s still early days and we’re talking, but if anything, it will be the Idol that everyone has known and loved. There will be some tweaks, but nothing where you think to yourself, “Oh my gosh, this isn’t Idol at all.”
How Controversy Is Impacting 'Bachelor in Paradise' This Season | Hollywood Reporter
Old 08-24-2017, 10:52 AM
Graphics Team

Moderator of ...
Communications Team

Thanks for that. They're definitely taking their time with those judges

Quote:
“I’m very excited,” said Katy about judging American Idol alongside Ryan as host. “It’s one of those shows that actually makes people’s dreams come true. … I just wanna give constructive criticism.” Backstories interest her less than the contestant’s artistry. “Honestly sob stories come second for me. Everyone has a situation and God bless them … but if you don’t have the goods, you don’t have the goods.”
https://www.mjsbigblog.com/katy-perr...mon-cowell.htm

| ray
Old 08-27-2017, 06:00 AM
Fan Forum Legend

They really are taking their sweet time. I wonder how much time they have until the auditions with the judges are supposed to start. I can't imagine it can be very long (like months).

I like what they said about Disney taking over franchises, because I'm under the impression they've done well with Star Wars and Marvel. So that gives me hope they won't screw up Idol.

And I like Katy's approach to sob stories! I totally agree.
Old 08-27-2017, 07:26 AM
Graphics Team

Moderator of ...
Communications Team

Yeah I read the judges auditions start in October so I guess they're using that as a reference.

Definitely hope they won't and that they approach it the way they did those successful franchises

I thought the same! If she does work with that mindset, she'll be a good judge for sure.

| ray
Old 08-27-2017, 07:52 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Oh okay, well in that case they do have a couple of months.

Yes exactly, hopefully they can continue it successfully with Idol.

It has to be about the talent first and foremost.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:43 PM
Graphics Team

Moderator of ...
Communications Team

That probably helps give them time to decide

And now thinking about it more now, I wish there were more people on the list who are not "big-name" performers, maybe someone from behind the scenes, a producer or executive or someone like that. It would give a different perspective to the whole thing and the original judges panel (which was the most successful), had two of them.

They should just ban people telling their personal stories at least until later in the season

| ray
Old 09-10-2017, 11:56 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Probably. Well, they now have about a month left, I hope they've made some decisions.

That is a very good point and I agree with you. The judging panel could use people who know how to make stars which is the point of the show.

Haha, that is a good idea.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:06 AM
Graphics Team

Moderator of ...
Communications Team

Yeah the clock is ticking xD

Exactly. When it's just singers, the focus tends to shift to them which is what happened in the later seasons.

It would help keep the focus on the talent, not the story

| ray
Old 09-15-2017, 02:30 PM
Fan Forum Legend

It's ticking very loudly.

Yeah exactly, they get the screentime that should go to the contestants.

They could really use that. We've seen too many times people advancing with the help of their background stories and just not having what it takes.