Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 07-22-2015, 12:54 PM
Extreme Fan

American Idol 14 Concert!

Well, last night was the night! We went to the AI concert! I enjoyed most of it; my husband hated it. He never likes concerts because they are too loud and in a way I had to agree with him about this one. It was a very small, but gorgeous, ornate theater. So why did they have to amplify it so much. I'm sure plenty of classical orchestras have played in that hall with no amplification.

The other thing I didn't like about the concert is that the contestants all talked too much and all said pretty much the same thing! I love Clark, but I was about to wring his neck and tell him to shut up and start singing. Luckily, he did eventually!

Clark was even better in the concert than on the show. They obviously worked with him. They were all quite good, even Nick, although I wasn't that interested in listening to him. Tyanna only sang a few songs, but she was excellent! And of course, Jax was amazing! Rayvon sang even higher last night than on the show. He improved so much on the show that I didn't think he could get any better, but he did!

Here is a partial set list (I found it on MJ's blog, but I'm editing a little because they didn't sing all the songs she had listed.

Tyanna Jones

Sweet Dreams by Beyoncé
Lips are Moving by Meghan Trainor

Rayvon Owen
Jealous by Nick Jonas
Wide Awake - Katy Perry
Thinking About You - Frank Ocean (I think he did this one).

JAX

My Generation by The Who
Brick by Brick by Paramore (I didn't know this, but I think she sang it)
Are You Gonna Be My Girl by Jet
White Flag by Dido (Loved this!!!!)
You Give Love a Bad Name by Bon Jovi

Clark Beckham

Georgia on My Mind by Ray Charles
I Won't Give Away (a wonderful song he wrote -- my husband and I both wish he'd release it!)
Give My One Reason by Tracy Chapman
Sunday Morning by Maroon 5 (He sang it even better than on the show).

Nick Frandiani

American Girl by Tom Petty (not sure if he sang this one)P
Beautiful Life by Nick Fradiani (I didn't think he wrote it)
Coming Your Way by Beach Avenue
I Won't Give Up by Jason Mraz (this was very nice)
No Diggity by Blackstreet (not sure if he did this)
A song that he wrote

Group Numbers

Are You Gonna Go My Way by Lenny Kravitz (Top 5)
God Bless the Broken Road by Rascal Flatts (Top 4) Nothing will top Carrie Underwood and Rascal Flatts singing this one together at the AI 4 finale!!!)
Chandelier by Sia (Tyanna, Rayvon and Clark on piano -- this was fantastic!!!!!
People Like Us by Kelly Clarkson (Top 5)
I Bet My Life by Imagine Dragons (JAX, Nick, Tyanna and Clark - slowed down (I don't remember this one because I don't know the song)
See You Again by Wiz Kalifah (Top 5) didn't know this one either
Lie to Me by Jonny Lang (Clark, JAX, Rayvon, Tyanna -- loved this!!!
Some Nights by Fun (Top 5) Closing Song (love this song anyway, very emotional since it was the last song)

It was done sort of like the concert for AI 6 when Jordin won. They mixed up everyone's performances, including group songs and then had Nick sing all his songs toward the end. I think they did the last 2 group numbers after Nick sang his solos.

I have no idea how to post pictures, but I'm going to try and figure it out. Our seats were okay. We were 12 rows back, but off to the right. Since it wasn't a sell-out people were getting up and moving.

Also - my husband bought me more memorabilia than usual since this might be the last tour. I got a program (I always get that), a keychain, a magnet and a red t-shirt with the AI logo on it!

Margo
Old 07-23-2015, 01:56 PM
Extreme Fan

Here is a review of the SOLD OUT Jersey show from last night:

MORRISTOWN – When the "American Idol Live!" tour buses rolled into town Wednesday, they knew they were in "Jaxland," as coined by Top 5 finalist Rayvon Owen. From the opening number of "Are You Gonna Go My Way" by Lenny Kravitz to the closing "Some Nights" by Fun., Jersey clearly came out in force to see their homegirl Jax take the stage.

Jersey represented — with "X's" and over-the-top energy. As runner-up Clark Beckham said "This is the first sold out show of the tour!" In fact, all three of the Garden State shows in the 37-city tour sold out. The singers launched their New Jersey appearances Wednesday at the Mayo Performing Arts Center in Morristown; this will be followed by Caesars Atlantic City, Circus Maximus, on Aug. 1, and the Count Basie Theatre in Red Bank on Aug. 2. The tour kicked off July 7 with several stops in Florida, and continues through the summer.

On Wednesday, "American Idol" winner Nick Fradiani was the first to welcome the exuberant crowd.

"We are all so happy to be here! You know Jax is happy to be here!," Fradiani said.

As the night went on, the back row, especially "Back Row Man," made their presence known complete with the requisite "How you doin'?!"

"I never know what he is sayin'," Beckham said. "But I love him."
Janice Ditkowsky of Bridgewater, right, takes a photo of her daughter Elissa Ditkowsky, 16, left, and friend Adrienne Hecht, 17, before seeing The "American Idol Live!" show at the Mayo Performing Arts Center in Morristown on July 22, 2015. Keith A. Muccilli/ Staff

The Jersey Girl herself confessed how much she missed home with a shonfident "Hi New Jersey" that blossomed into a bubbly "It has been way too long! I missed you guys so much! I miss the accents! I miss the pizza! Oh my gosh, I miss everything about this place! I miss how mean you guys are like me. We're like tough. Everybody is so nice around the world. They can't handle the Jersey girls. We did it. We sold out New Jersey! You guys are amazing!"

Each of the Idols — Jax, Fradiani, Beckham, Owen and Tyanna Jones — made it clear that were happy to be there and do what they do best — sing their faces off. Man, can these five sing. Beckham and Owen were hitting falsettos left and right, Jax gave it her own special brand of punk pop power while Jones was holding improbable notes and Fradiani was rockin' something fierce. Their exuberance was inspiring.

Beckham — who is a really funny guy — said it best when he noted there were "no cameras, no judges. Just people." It was clear all five were loving the moment and thoroughly enjoying themselves. The show was on-your-feet fun, nothing to prove, no critiques to dwell on and thankfully, no more eliminations.
EST Jax 007-LR

American Idol finalist Jax, of East Brunswick, performs “Are You Gonna Be My Girl” at the “American Idol Live!” show at the Mayo Performing Arts Center in Morristown on July 22, 2015. (Photo: Keith A. Muccilli/Staff)

In the smaller theater setting and with only five performers, the audience got a bit more from each Idol. There were intimate moments, personal insights and pure talent showcased. During the course of the show, each Idol was highlighted in song and had a turn telling their story — how they wound up on that Season XIV "American Idol" stage.

"We get to give a closer look at us on a musical level and a personal level," Beckham said.

We learned Jax once watched a Britney Spears concert facing backwards, so the audience was facing her and she could perform to them. Beckham used to intersperse commercial jingles into background music at weddings — just because he could, Jones is the middle child of 11, Fradiani played college basketball and Owen had auditioned for "American Idol" six times before making it. Who knew?

On that "home," stage, Jax became emotional and teared up when talking about her journey, having been given a global platform to perform and the people that have become her family — the "American Idol" Top 5, other contestants, those from the show and the JaxPack that just keeps growing. It was sweet and honest and no surprise from the girl we first met singing "I Want To Hold Your Hand" at the New York auditions months ago.

"Thank you for the chance to live our dreams," she said. "The chance to be rock stars. I am eternally grateful."
EST Jax 003-LR

From left, Clark Beckham, Tyanna Jones, Jax, Rayvon Owen and Nick Fradiani open the “American Idol Live!” show at the Mayo Performing Arts Center in Morristown on July 22, 2015. (Photo: Keith A. Muccilli/Staff)

And of course, the Top 5 sang. Wow, did they sing. In this day and age of autotuned perfection, these five hit every high note, low note and every one in between on their own. There were ballads, high energy tunes, covers, originals, solos and group numbers. They backed up each other and shared the stage as only friends can.

Jones charmed the audience with "Sweet Dreams" by Beyonce and "Lips Are Moving" by Meghan Trainor while Owen soloed on "Jealous" by Nick Jonas and a mash-up of "Wide Awake" by Katy Perry and "Thinkin Bout You" by Frank Ocean.

Beckham opened with his soulstirring "Georgia On My Mind" by Ray Charles. Later he gave us "Give Me One Reason" by Tracy Chapman and "Sunday Morning" by Maroon 5 — there may have been some swooning on that number. The newly crowned 2015 "American Idol" Fradiani showcased "American Girl" by Tom Petty, surprised everyone with "No Diggity" by Blackstreet and took us back to that finale moment in May with his "American Idol" coronation song "Beautiful Life."
EST Jax 001-LR

Janice Ditkowsky of Bridgewater, right, takes a photo of her daughter Elissa Ditkowsky, 16, left, and friend Adrienne Hecht, 17, before seeing the “American Idol Live!” show at the Mayo Performing Arts Center in Morristown on July 22, 2015. (Photo: Keith A. Muccilli/Staff)

Personally, I really loved the Chapman cover and "No Diggity," the later to the embarrassment of my 19-year-old daughter ("You know what that's about right?!"). Jones' take on "Lip's Are Movin" had everybody movin' and I was more than a little jealous of Owen's vocals on the Jonas' hit (okay, I was jealous of every number).

Jax reprised Season XIV favorites — rockin' out to "My Generation" by The Who, and "Are You Gonna Be My Girl (Guy)" by Jet before taking a seat at the piano and making us surrender to the plaintive "White Flag" by Dido and singing along to the hot "You Give Love A Bad Name" by Bon Jovi. As an extra special treat, she paid homage to the finale and her favorite duet partner Steven Tyler by performing his newest and first country single, "Love Is Your Name." Yea. I loved each and every Jax number. What can I say? She's my girl. She energized the crowd, had us on our feet with our "X's up" and connected.

There was meaning in many of the "American Idol Live!" song choices. As Jax told her story of her dad's experience as a first responder in 9/11 and how it changed his and her family's life, the three Top 5 men sang "God Bless The Broken Road" by Rascal Flatts. Fradiani recounted his own journey in music, hoping inspiring others not to let go of their dreams. He ended his tale with Jason Mraz's "I Wont Give Up."

After the show, all five Idols agreed that while many of the songs were season XIV favorites, what was "extra awesome" was the fact that the tour set list allowed them to branch out with other songs of their own choice. There was freedom in the set list and it showed. We even got to hear originals — Beckham's groove driven "I'm Not Going To Give Away Your Love" and Fradiani's fun "Coming Your Way" that he wrote with his band Beach Avenue.

In various group formations, the Idols performed tunes such as "People Like Us" by Kelly Clarkson, "I Bet My Life" by Imagine Dragons, "Chandelier" by Sia, "See You Again" by Wiz Kalifah and Charlie Puth, and "Lie to Me" by Jonny Lang. There is a certain magic when all five are together. Their voices created a harmonious hum, blending beautifully and soaring on the solos. The joy these musicians feel when singing needed no translation — even to a sold-out crowd from Jersey.

As each believes in their soul and as inspired by their "American Idol" mentor Scott Borchetta, "music has value." His students have become teachers.

Tickets for "American Idol Live!" are available through the venues or via AmericanIdol.com/tour. For more information, go to americanidol.com.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:27 PM
Communications Team Manager
Graphics Team

Moderator of ...
Communications Team

Thanks for posting about your experience Margo! Sounds like a great show. Good to hear you were able to move closer and you got some good merchandise from the show!

Interesting setlists for everyone too! Those are ones I'll probably check out on YT if I get a chance.

Tyanna Jones Sweet Dreams by Beyoncé
Rayvon Owen Jealous by Nick Jona
JAX Brick by Brick by Paramore, White Flag by Dido, You Give Love a Bad Name by Bon Jovi
Clark Beckham I Won't Give Away, Sunday Morning by Maroon 5
Nick Frandiani I Won't Give Up by Jason Mraz, A song that he wrote
Group Numbers Chandelier by Sia, I Bet My Life by Imagine Dragons , Lie to Me by Jonny Lang, Some Nights by Fun

About Beautiful Life, I think they just mean it's his song now, like Home was Phillip Phillips eventhough he didn't write it.

Will have to read through the second review later.

JOIN our Communications Team.
| ray
Old 07-29-2015, 01:48 PM
Extreme Fan

I've still got it pretty bad for Season 14 -- still listening to it on my iPod. But I'm also in love with Clark's EPs, which are in the same playlist. I don't know the song that Clark sang called "I Won't Give Away." Is that the song he wrote?
Old 07-29-2015, 01:49 PM
Extreme Fan

I've still got it pretty bad for Season 14 -- still listening to it on my iPod. But I'm also in love with Clark's EPs, which are in the same playlist. I don't know the song that Clark sang called "I Won't Give Away." Is that the song he wrote? I just looked it up on You Tube and found that it is the song he wrote. Called "I Won't Give Away Your Love." He sounds great on it!!!

Sorry for the double message.

Last edited by MargoK; 07-29-2015 at 02:22 PM
Old 08-03-2015, 01:43 AM
Graphics Team

Moderator of ...
Communications Team

That's great he sang one of his own songs and that you enjoyed it! I'll have to listen to it when I get a chance.

| ray
Old 08-03-2015, 06:37 AM
Extreme Fan

There's a pretty good video of it on You Tube.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:21 AM
Extreme Fan

I heard that some of the concerts are selling out now. I hope that continues. I couldn't believe the venue where I saw them did not sell out because it was so tiny.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:51 AM
Graphics Team

Moderator of ...
Communications Team

I'll check it out tonight

And that's great it's selling out now! It's probably that the majority of fans are in other areas.

| ray
Old 08-06-2015, 06:45 AM
Extreme Fan

I really hope they do a farewell tour next season!
Old 11-21-2015, 12:28 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargoK (View Post)
Here is a review of the SOLD OUT Jersey show from last night:
Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:21 PM
Extreme Fan

City Gal - I went to the Richmond, Virginia show last July. Really great concert! I always love going to the Idol concerts because they almost always sound better than they did on the show.

Margo