Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2013, 11:32 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Hannibal Movies Appreciation Thread #1 ~ The lambs haven't stopped screaming!

Hannibal Movies

appreciation thread.

List of Hannibal movies
Manhunter (1986)
The Silence of The Lambs (1991)
Hannibal (2001)
Red Dragon (2002)
Hannibal Rising (2007)

Last edited by val ღ; 04-15-2015 at 04:21 PM
Old 06-12-2013, 09:55 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I totally need to read this!
Old 06-12-2013, 01:41 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I haven't finished yet but so far it's been really good. And it's really fun to see little lines and things they used on the show.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:22 PM
Banned

A book club has been created on tumblr for those who want to read or re-read the book and ease a little the hiatus. There's the announcement:

Quote:
Hannibal Book Club starts this July 4th, reading 2 chapters per week and tagging our comments and thoughts #HannibalBookClub to get the discussion going.
Quote:
Hello readers!
I moved the date of the reading up, by a month. The new date is
THURSDAY THE 4TH OF JULY
Here’s how it will work:
We will read two chapters from Thursday to Wednesday. So from the 4th - 10th. On the 10th, the next wednesday, we can post discussions on the books, and on the 11th, the next Thursday, we’re onto the next chapters.
Every week I will scan in the first page of the chapter we start reading, you could reblog that post with opinions or make your own under the tags, submit things, whatever floats your boat, if you have ideas let us know on this blog, I’m happy to publish opinions we can all discuss on how to do this.
But I think 6 days to read with discussion the day before we start doing the next chapters, is a good layout on how to do this thang.
So have your Red Dragon book or digital book, ready for the 4th of July! I’ll put the starting post up then! Also I’m going to put up a calendar with the dates of reading up in just a moment.
Hannibal Book Club
Old 07-04-2013, 09:56 AM
Banned

Welcome to Hannibal Book Club! We can start reading this week! Don’t forget to check our Calendar, we begin TODAY on the 4th! Reading two chapters a week! Tag spoilers if you post discussions before discussion day, there are a lot of new readers amongst us here.

HAVE FUN READING!!! Don’t forget our tags are #hbcgroup and #hannibalbookclub

Source

So who is doing it?
Old 07-04-2013, 08:38 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I think I might! 2 chapters a week seems like it would take forever though.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:16 AM
Banned

They're doing it to last as long as the hiatus
Old 07-05-2013, 07:47 AM
Fan Forum Hero

That's a good idea, I'm just not sure I'm that patient.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:31 AM
Banned

The owner of the book club blog was flooded by people asking her to change the pace, because it's too slow. So everybody agrees with you already.
She said to not slow ourselves for the blog but to respect the spoilers policy for whose who post comments.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:03 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Two chapters a week is way too slow, for sure. So she's keeping the 2 chapter thing but asking people not to spoil in case they read faster? That sounds good.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:09 AM
Banned

Some thoughts shared by people doing the challenge as well

Quote:
Red Dragon: HBC thoughts.
For The Hannibal Book Club.

I haven’t read the book before, but here are my thoughts (I know, some of them are pretty silly but I’m doing my best )

Chapter 1:

(...) After that, we met Molly, his wife. Personally, I would like to go deep in their relationship because I can’t imagine how a dude like Will could have such strong feelings for Molly after what happened with Hannibal and the trials and all.

I’ve seen that some people thought Molly is selfish because she did not want Will to return to field but I think isn’t fair, now they have a family, and he is happy and better than before, really, I would do the same. In this chapter I really loved Molly, she is good for Will, so good so far…

"He’s better and better. He doesn’t dream so often now. He was really obsessed with the dogs for a while. Now he just takes care of them; he doesn’t talk about them all the time…"
How we’ve seen in the show, Will has dogs and, as an animal lover, who is kinda shy and introvert, I can understand him. He needed love, he needed support and not be judged, considering the way he has lived and the poor social skill he has, the dogs can fill this hole in his life. And then, Molly comes and change it.

"…Promise me something, Jack. Promise me you’ll see to it he doesn’t get too close. I think it would kill him to have to fight."

"He won’t have to fight. I can promise you that."
Again, she looks really worried about Will, she had a bad feeling about all this. She met Will one year later, after Hannibal and the FBI, he was struggling with his own demons, so she already knew how this case could hurt him. But she will supporting him anyways.

My last thought about this chapter: I see Alana’s face when I read something about Molly, It’s dumb but in the serie I don’t see Alana as Alan Bloom, I see her as Molly, the way she is with Will and the way Will is with her… I don’t know, this is just my opinion.
Quote:

Chapter 2:

This chapter starts with Will alone, at the Leeds’ house.

"…In his mind a silver pendulum swung in darkness. He waited until the pendulum was still."
I like how Thomas Harris describes it, I see the “pendulum swung" as a way to disconnect his own reality from the reality he wants to go in, the reality of a serial killer.

When Will enters to the house, he is afraid and fear makes him rude but I think this is like a survival instict, if he is afraid, he is more alert and, in this case and with the “emphaty" thing, he can feel the madness going throught the house.

The way Will recreates the crime scene is very impressive, because, ok, there are a lot of evidence and the police did their work and all, but Will is very meticulous as if he was seeing the killer at the moment. Honestly, I like how the book portrays when Graham is in the killer mind, but in the serie, he is as exact as the killer himself, literally. And I emphasize that fact because he could discern some of the killer’s movements in the rooms, thing that the police couldn’t.

And then again, here comes Molly (on Will’s mind).

"…Often his thoughts were not tasty. There were no effective partitions in his mind. What he saw and learned touched everything else he knew. Some of the combinations were hard to live with…[…] His learned values of decency and propriety tagged along, shocked at his associations, appalled at his dreams; sorry that in the bone arena of his skull there were no forts for what he loved…[…] He viewed his own mentality as grotesque but useful, like a chair made of antlers. There was nothing he could do about it."

Molly is like his “comfort zone". One can think “How the hell you think about your wife and your son in a place like this one?" But let’s be honest, the weight of the crime is on his shoulders now, and he can’t filter what is going on his mind. It’s like when we go to our “happy places" in harsh times, like a reminder of his reality and the loved ones who are waiting for him.
Source
Old 07-20-2013, 11:39 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I’ve seen that some people thought Molly is selfish because she did not want Will to return to field but I think isn’t fair, now they have a family, and he is happy and better than before, really, I would do the same.
LOL exactly. People are insane if they think Molly is being selfish, she's literally the only one who has Will's well being in mind the whole time.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:51 PM
Banned

I loved the part in the review of chapter 1 where the fan wrote that when she read about Molly, she sees Alana's face because of the way Will/Molly and Will/Alana act around each other!
Gave me hope that she could survive the violence of the confrontation that it's coming between Will and Hannibal!
Old 07-20-2013, 10:51 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I see a lot of Molly in Alana, and I think it's intentional. Even a couple of lines Alana has said were said by Molly in the book.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:38 AM
Banned

It's intentional for sure, which make think that Molyy won't be maybe a love interest for Will.
Bryan said that they will change some storylines to keep an element of surprise. I don't remember the book and her job in it but i would like to see her become Will's psychiatrist instead, especially if Alana's dies during season 2.