Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 11-01-2013, 08:48 PM
Loyal Fan

Hannibal General Discussion ~ Questions, thoughts & speculation

I don't know if you have this problem too but I noticed that I constantly wander from the threads' actual subject and start babbling about things that are not really part of the discussion, so I thought it would be nice to have a thread were we can just talk about anything that doesn't really fit a certain thread or covers multiple subjects/characters/episodes etc.
Also I was thinking that if we want to delve deeper into something we can copy that part of the discussion into this thread and continue talking here without disturbing the initial thread.

Is everyone okay with that or is it a stupid idea?
Old 11-02-2013, 05:33 AM
Banned

It's a great idea, Alica! I like it very much!

I think we need a place where we can discuss the show's general tone, direction, storylines since a lot of what we have to say isn't necessarily episode-specific or fitting for an individual character thread.

So, thank you for opening.

Little reminder: thank you for trying to not go off topic ( but i know very well that during long hiatus like this with so little news, it's very hard to stay in topic, that's why i'm being indulgent on the matter) and to avoid spoilers and in all cases always use spoilers tags (including conversations about books and films).

This being settled, is there any subject that you want to start with?

Last edited by Ladyfuschia; 11-02-2013 at 11:13 AM
Old 11-02-2013, 05:59 AM
Loyal Fan

Thank you for approving! I was a bit unsure if it would be okay.

I'd like to tie in with something Kendra said in the Hannibal/Alana thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendra Luehr (View Post)
It's just frustrating to see a genius like Will (who nabbed Lecter within his second meeting; in fact, he was suspicious after their FIRST meeting) be reduced to a complete numbskull. It doesn't make much sense to have a man who is BRILLIANT with solving murders be unable to solve one right under his nose. But then I have to remember that this is a TV show with 13 eps, so they HAVE to prolong things. That's why I can accept it.
I'm still not really sure how to see this. I think it just has to do with how Will's mind works. With how his empathy works. The main element he works with when he solves a case is the killer's motive, he tries to understand what made the person do what he did, what he felt in that situation, what he will do in the future, based on this. Hannibal has no motive, which is why Will was completely oblivious to who Hannibal really is. He wasn't really actively working on the Ripper case, it never was his main priority, also the copycat killer case was more of a minor matter because they already had a suspect. All this time Will was completely occupied with other cases and his deteriorating mental state and his sickness and his constant fear of losing his mind. Once he started to see a pattern and realised that Nick Boyle wasn't the copycat, and once he realised that there was someone close to him who was setting him up, Will actually figured it out quite quickly. Even though he was really ill at that point and his judgement was probably severely impaired. What I'm trying to say is: Will didn't know what he was looking for or even that he was looking for something. That's why he didn't see.
There are other points that bother me much more: the whole 'Someone called Hobbs and warned him'-thing. Even if there had been someone close to Hobbs, another killer that he was in contact with how was that person supposed to know that the FBI was coming for Hobbs? How could it have been someone who wasn't working on the case? That doesn't make any sense at all?
(And while we're at it: I cannot really imagine that they would let a special investigator and a psychiatrist just walk in there like that. Wouldn't they normally send a real team to arrest Hobbs? It was probably just for the sake of the story but I found it a bit far-fetched.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:21 AM
Loyal Fan

There is another thing that would like to ask you: How do you feel about the violence on the show and in what degree does it affect you?

As I may have mentioned before, I was reluctant to watch Hannibal at first because I had heard about the gore and violence, and since I don't like this kind of thing I didn't expect to like the show at all. Many people have critisised the show for being too gory and using to much violence just to create shock moments. I don't agree with this at all. First of all I think the story wouldn't work without all these twisted and violent crimes since Will would never be this affected by the cases if they were 'normal' crimes. The surreal nature of the crimes and the presentation of both Will's re-enactments and the crime scenes themselves make us understand how the killers see their crimes - not as a horrible thing but as a piece of art. Speaking of surrealism, I never felt as affected by the crimes as I usually am with this kind of thing. I am very sensitive when it comes to violence, I can't watch war films without crying and I usually avoid films and tv shows that strongly feature violence. When watching Hannibal I get deeply affected by the psychological aspects of the show, while the crimes themselves leave me cold. I noticed this especially in the fourth episode. Violence against children is especially hard to handle for me usually but this time I looked at the corpses of children and didn't feel a thing. It just felt too unreal to be painful.
The only crimes/deaths that I felt affected by were the death of Abigail's mother, the shooting of Garret Jacob Hobbs, Abigail's throat being cut and Georgia being burned alive. These things felt real and raw and they were shocking and painful to watch, and we saw the 'real thing' and not just the re-enactment. The thought of Abigail's mother bleeding to death on the front porch while desperately clutching Will's arm is something I find much harder to deal with than people being turned into a mushroom garden or a man being used as a cello.

What are your thoughts/experiences with this?
Old 11-24-2013, 08:12 AM
Elite Fan

I don't feel it that way, Will had disadvantages, I think it makes sense that it took him so long to figure out.
Not to mention Hannibal leaves no traces, nothing about him would raise your eyebrow, we know because we are the viewers, but realistically it shouldn't be easy to solve, even for someone so clever and fast like Will.

There's one thing in this world that makes me feel more alive. And that's you. 🌹 We're together. This is what living feels like.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:49 PM
Elite Fan

We need to use this thread more often
So who's next? Bryan said 3 characters we love die this season, Beverly and Gideon bit the big one (no pun intended! ) one more character is going to die, my money is on Bedelia :/ or Chilton idk

There's one thing in this world that makes me feel more alive. And that's you. 🌹 We're together. This is what living feels like.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:47 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Gideon is dead for sure?

I hope it's Alana but I have a feeling it will be Bedelia. I'm worried about Jack too, I really want him to be safe. ;~
Old 04-05-2014, 06:56 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chastainღ (View Post)
Gideon is dead for sure?

I hope it's Alana but I have a feeling it will be Bedelia. I'm worried about Jack too, I really want him to be safe. ;~
idk I guess he's dead, because he is a loose end for Hannibal, he had to get rid of him.
I think Alana's safe, Bryan said she has to live to regret Jack is too vital for the story to kill him off, that'd be a big mistake, my money is on Bedelia :/

Old 04-08-2014, 12:53 PM
Moderator Support Team

I forgot about this thread, shame on me .

As for the next death, i´m confused tbh. From what i saw yesterday (be aware of the spoilers):

Spoiler:

BRICS
Prayers for 🇷🇺 🙏🕯️
🇵🇸 🕊️#stopIsraelgenocide
Old 04-08-2014, 01:26 PM
Elite Fan

I think Hannibal is not going to kill Miriam, if he kept her so long, why kill her now? she can't remember anyway, I don't rule it out but I say the third death is either Bedelia or Frederick (third if Gideon is really dead)

Old 04-08-2014, 01:33 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Greene (View Post)
I think Hannibal is not going to kill Miriam, if he kept her so long, why kill her now? she can't remember anyway, I don't rule it out but I say the third death is either Bedelia or Frederick (third if Gideon is really dead)
Well...

Spoiler:

BRICS
Prayers for 🇷🇺 🙏🕯️
🇵🇸 🕊️#stopIsraelgenocide
Old 04-09-2014, 12:24 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannibal_Princess♔ (View Post)
Well...

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Old 04-09-2014, 12:44 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Greene (View Post)
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

I have to be honest, i have no idea what´s going to happen :/

BRICS
Prayers for 🇷🇺 🙏🕯️
🇵🇸 🕊️#stopIsraelgenocide
Old 04-09-2014, 03:17 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannibal_Princess♔ (View Post)
Spoiler:

I have to be honest, i have no idea what´s going to happen :/
Spoiler:

look behind Bryan
Spoiler:

Last edited by val ღ; 04-10-2014 at 11:23 AM
Old 04-10-2014, 08:18 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Spoiler:

Dead @ Bryan sweater there.

I hope Miriam doesn't die on tonight's episode.