Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2017, 08:43 AM
Fan Forum Hero

It's still in the early stages. I wouldn't expect any news until the end of the year or the start of the new year, if we hear it's undergoing casting or whether it's been picked up to pilot. January to April is prime pilot season! They have to make their decisions for the upcoming season by mid May!

I personally think it would be on the lower end of the chances of proceeding to the schedule unless the script and pilot hits it out of the park. Because CW doesn't have many holes right now. And because of the success of Riverdale, they want to look at doing a Sabrina - the Teenage Witch remake, made more scary which would be more in the vein of what is on television now!

But then it will be different, Roswell. So it might make it. Hard to know.

But then remakes are the thing right now. CBS going to sacred territory with it's newly announced Magnum PI reboot, when the reason the original was a hit because of Tom Selleck! So I don't know how CBS thinks it can it redo it. It seems to be in the vein of the original, but yet very different...
True love began to flourish among the challenges
October 6, 1999 began a incredible journey - Max and Liz forever!
Old 10-23-2017, 06:03 AM
Fan Forum Hero

People are just going reboot crazy right now...let's have some more original ideas!

Old 10-23-2017, 07:00 AM
Fan Forum Hero

People they lack the idea's sometimes, or sometimes the imaginative might not connect with the audience in this era. So they are going with the familiar, brand loyalty or just plain reboots of old idea... Because if the audience goes in at least knowing the premise, they might stick.

Also with streaming, Netflix and all the possibilities to create television now... You need product, so why not go back to tried and true... Or with shows like Roswell, the show is a cult classic but was not a hit, so they could redo it completely and maybe get a new audience because the original audience was not (they think) that big of a pool to offend or turn off...

Now if they were to redo West Wing which got Emmy acclaim or Gilmore Girls with a new cast, and the same characters. You would get a revolt!

If they are going to reboot Roswell, and not make it a continuing chapter. At least follow the books. Not completely disregard it and only keep that Liz was Hispanic, and it was set in New Mexico and the love interest was a alien with powers...

This will be a disaster. There was something magical, despite the flaws, with the original show. You can't recapture that...
Old 10-23-2017, 09:39 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Roswell

I totally agree! I still have mixed feeling over the Gilmore Girl reboot I didn't love it but I didn't hate it. It did have some great stoylines but some stoyrlines were all over the place especially with certain characters and it felt odd.

Sure I can understand a show or movie paying tribute to a movie or TV show but to do a remake makes no sense to me.

Superman you can exband on because we didn't see Clark Kent in his high school years so Smallville made sense.

But I am getting tired of remakes and reboots there was a reason why they are called classics leave them alone!

Sure they might not of been perfect but they were perfect to us! Those shows were timless and that is why they can never be redone.

I can just imagion if they ever decided to do a Buffy reboot remake forget it the fans would riot faster then Vampires taking over Sunnydale!

Now a days I wish people would come up with your own ideas. Dream discover do something original!
Roswell Board~Celebrating 300,000 posts of Silver Handprints, Alien Blasts, & Tabasco Sause "OMG your the girl I didn't puke on"~Stephenie Meyer to me in reference to meeting her at the 2008 San Diego Comic Con~8/1/08
4/18/11~ the day I brushed shoulders with Robert Pattinson!
Old 10-25-2017, 07:26 AM
Part-Time Fan

TV critic Jasmine Blu is focusing on the fandom’s conflicted feelings of the ‘reboot’:

Roswell: Do We Really NEED This Reboot?!?

And:

What Do We Know About The CW’s New Alien Show?

Last edited by Roswell 10/2/00; 10-25-2017 at 08:21 PM
Old 10-25-2017, 08:28 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Roswell

I am glad some articles are coming out about this topic.

However I still feel you can't touch a classic! No one else could play these characters!

A twist you say I call this reboot a new show that needs a new name!

Oh and Carina MacKenzie who is writing this reboot aka new show her responces in this article are all taken from her Twitter account!
https://mobile.twitter.com/cadlymack?p=s

Article from Crashdown .com

Quote:

By Lena • Oct 16th, 2017 • Category: Roswell
So, what do we know about new The CW alien show, which is currently in development?

We collected everything we could find and what the woman behind the show, Carina MacKenzie (The Originals), revealed on social media. At the moment, we can’t directly see what about this new show is tied to the books or the orginal show. We came to the conclusion that this version is slightly different from anything we’ve seen so far, even the Roswell High book series itself. Thus, a “re-imagination.”

For us, it looks like a completely new show which happens to take place in the town of Roswell, although there is some alien action and a romance which is of course similar to “Roswell”.

There won’t be any Tabasco sauce involved.

With the help of Tabasco – the aliens’ favorite condiment – fans saved the show years ago. When asked “Keep the hot sauce thing please.”, McKenzie replied: “I don’t think I can because they do the same thing on iZombie! Working on an alternative.

Everything is new

“This is a completely new story, new characters, new mystery.” said McKenzie on Twitter. The official tagline says the following:

“After reluctantly returning to her tourist-trap hometown of Roswell, New Mexico, the daughter of undocumented immigrants discovers a shocking truth about her teenage crush who is now a police officer: He’s an alien who has kept his unearthly abilities hidden his entire life. She protects his secret as the two reconnect and begin to investigate his origins, but when a violent attack and long-standing government cover-up point to a greater alien presence on Earth, the politics of fear and hatred threaten to expose him and destroy their deepening romance.”

Why is it marketed as a ‘Reboot’?

While most of the articles are wording this project as a ‘reboot’ of “Roswell”, it’s not exactly how Carina MacKenzie would describe it. “It’s inspired by the same source material that the original series was based on. I would say “reimagining” but I’m not press. ” explained MacKenzie. In a later reply she clarified “The word “twist” was used by press, not me.”

Liz Ortecho?

In the very first draft for the “Roswell” pilot, there wasn’t Liz Parker but Liz Ortecho. It’s well known that the character name was changed to Parker because of Shiri Appleby’s brilliant audition. The issue of diversity on Roswell, and specifically why Liz Ortecho from the books became Liz Parker on the show was addressed in an article back in 1999. Read more (Diversity on Roswell):

Quote:
The Cast of Roswell, Outsiders for the Millennium

posted: 04:00 pm EST
05 October 1999

One of the first things a casual television viewer will notice about Roswell, the WB network’s new teen-alien hybrid, is that it takes place on a planet of the young and photogenic.

Like Felicity, Dawson’s Creek or any other WB hour-length drama aimed at the under-30 demographic — even the venerable Buffy — Roswell is stocked with fresh faces, few of whom are likely to be familiar to even the most celebrity-jaded Hollywood insiders. Only a handful of genuinely adult characters get more than a few lines of dialogue, while most of the other featured performers are in their early 20s. A few, notably Venezuela-born Majandra Delfino, who plays the obligatory “best friend and confidant” role here, are barely out of high school themselves.

By adding a hint of Hispanic authenticity, Delfino also serves to anchor the series in the real-world Roswell’s deeply Southwestern (and hence Latin) roots. Both David Nutter and Jason Katims, two of the show’s executive producers, have expressed a desire to make their Roswell reflect New Mexico’s varied ethnic map, with Nutter in particular being very firm about the production’s “responsibility and challenge to examine diversity.”

This diversity extends to the show’s adult characters, with Michael Horse, an actor of mixed Pueblo descent, effectively reprising the sheriff’s right-hand-man role that made him a cult figure in David Lynch’s Twin Peaks. Although Horse’s role is relatively minor in Roswell so far (he is not mentioned in the show’s official press materials), his dry wit is always a welcome addition to the scenes in which he appears.

However, Nutter and Katims made the difficult choice of transforming the show’s starring role from the Latina “Liz Ortecho” of the original young-adult novels to the WASPier “Liz Parker.”

The decision to change the character’s name and, by implication, downplay her ethnicity was due to newcomer Shiri Appleby’s brilliant audition, Nutter said.

“You cast for parts, you look for the best actor, regardless of where they come from,” he said. “Shiri Appleby came in and she definitely encapsulated everything we wanted to see in that part.”
The decision to change the character’s name and, by implication, downplay her ethnicity was due to newcomer Shiri Appleby’s brilliant audition, Nutter said.

Quote:
“You cast for parts, you look for the best actor, regardless of where they come from,” he said. “Shiri Appleby came in and she definitely encapsulated everything we wanted to see in that part.”
In the new show, which is currently in develpment, diversity will play a larger role. “Liz was Latina in the books, her friend was Native American, etc.” sets MacKenzie. She added in another reply: “The word “twist” was never used in my pitch. It’s not a twist — Liz was Latina in the original novels & thus I will not whitewash.” In another conversation she explained that she will write about fear and hatred, but with sci-fi elements as well. “I’m writing more about my experience with fear and hatred as a Muslim American than anything else.” and said “But like… also UFOs and *******.”
Roswell Board~Celebrating 300,000 posts of Silver Handprints, Alien Blasts, & Tabasco Sause "OMG your the girl I didn't puke on"~Stephenie Meyer to me in reference to meeting her at the 2008 San Diego Comic Con~8/1/08

Last edited by Roswell 10/2/00; 01-24-2020 at 09:37 PM
Old 10-26-2017, 06:02 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I think "re-imagining" is much more appropriate. The press is often lazy and slaps labels on things without even thinking. A reboot to me, is when you take something specific and like...charge it back up again - ie. Gilmore Girls.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:21 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Roswell

Yes Gilmore Girl was a continuation of what their life would be like 10 years later. So that was interesting. Yes that was a reboot because we were reentering the world 10 years later and things were different but still the same.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:14 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Wow, there's so much news lately.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:38 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Nothing new. But Netflix poached the Sabrina the Teenage Witch "horror" remake from CW. So I don't know where that leaves the idea of a Roswell remake. Better or worse. I haven't heard much... Since it might be more in CW's wheelhouse now...

But probably won't until early in the new year if we hear it's been picked up for pilot, or hear some word on casting...

I still think it's a bad idea if it's not going to be a tie into the original generation or so...

And if you're not even going to be able to show some of the big Roswell tidbits. Like tabasco sauce...

But time will tell!
Old 12-02-2017, 05:09 AM
Elite Fan

Good news is: New cast, new story, new everything sooooo it has NOTHING to do with Roswell...just the town. I'm a bit relieved tbqh. They won't mess up the original...and it better not be called Roswell either.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:50 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It better be called something else...basically I don't want any similarities whatsoever

Old 12-03-2017, 10:12 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Roswell

I am hoping it's a dead issue and dies faster then the Jelly Fish monster in the Hybrid Chronicles!
Old 12-05-2017, 07:53 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I hope if this poor show comes to fruition, they aren't counting on fans like us for support

#sorry

Old 12-05-2017, 09:59 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Roswell

I love it! Yes lets invade and take over if it does happens! Green shields up and Mind Warps on hand.

It reminds me of this scene from Ask Not!

Michael: I'm not just gonna sit around and do nothing like we've done all summer.

Max: We've been having this conversation for months. What are we supposed to do?

Michael: You're our leader. Why don't you lead us?

Max: Fine! Crack some more rocks.
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top