Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2018, 01:11 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by April7739 (View Post)
What bothers me about the reviewer saying it’s a better Roswell is that . . . you saw one episode. A Pilot episode. That’s a bold statement to make based on so little. And like you said, Lisa, our Pilot was great. Honestly, Roswell has the best Pilot of any TV show I’ve ever watched.
In this era of PC, is it that surprising that this pilot is considered better? It checks all the PC boxes!

I have seen the Roswell series, read all the books, and no thanks, that is not Roswell, neither the series, nor the original books. It's just using the name Roswell to try to attract attention from the medias and the old fans.

But its just too different. So different that it should have another title than Roswell and other names for the characters. Then it could work. But here...

- Michael and Maria belong together (Thania St John, writer)
Icon : ?
Old 04-23-2018, 01:21 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper1975 (View Post)
And it leaves open for Maria to interrupt the central love story. Which is something we got lucky with our Roswell that they never were tempted to try Maria and Max when they had the golden chance to do a Dylan/Brenda/Kelly when Liz went away that summer, and Maria and Max bonded while Michael had his own issues and was pushing Maria away.

Leaves Kyle also open for the central love story too...

It's quite a mess very likely. Because if Max and Liz sparks with anyone else. Which we got lucky that Jason and Shiri had such magical chemistry same with Brendan and Majandra... That they never tried to do the switch, and only really did it as a quick gotcha in the grand love stories that Max and Liz were. And Maria and Michael was...

They are playing with fire...
I fear you are right. So far, Maria has no love interest. Michael with Alex, Max with Liz, Maria with... ?? So I fear that there will be a Max-Liz-Maria love triangle, because the writers are famous for doing that on other shows. And if the actor who plays Max has chemistry with the actress who plays Maria, oh boy. I'm completly against it.

I also see a love triangle with Isabel-her husband-Kyle. After all, no way there can be a happy marriage and who's left for a love triangle? Kyle.

Last edited by xmag; 04-23-2018 at 03:29 AM
Old 04-23-2018, 05:32 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmag (View Post)
I fear you are right. So far, Maria has no love interest. Michael with Alex, Max with Liz, Maria with... ?? So I fear that there will be a Max-Liz-Maria love triangle, because the writers are famous for doing that on other shows. And if the actor who plays Max has chemistry with the actress who plays Maria, oh boy. I'm completly against it.

I also see a love triangle with Isabel-her husband-Kyle. After all, no way there can be a happy marriage and who's left for a love triangle? Kyle.
I don’t think Maria will be forced into a triangle with Max and Liz. I don’t know if anyone watched TVD, but I think Maria will serve as a Bonnie Bennet type character; the best friend who is there to prop the lead with no real love interest or character arc of her own.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:39 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Shiri Appleby

Ugh what a mess
Old 04-23-2018, 06:35 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:

The only other option is to pair Maria and Kyle. We know Liz is coming back to town for her reunion, and for other reasons. She doesn't have a already made boyfriend in Kyle. So that leaves the potential for Kyle to go like the original show and give some headaches as Max and Liz rediscover. And especially if this Max and Liz knew each other in the past, but passed by each other and if Max has some secret involving the death of Liz's sister.

Or Maria and Kyle get together...

But it's almost calling for the "wacky" best friend, social blogger that this Maria is allegedly to also fall for the mystery cop. Best friends fighting over the same guy. Especially if Maria doesn't have a love story.

Because if Isabel in a unhappy marriage. She needs a temptation. That might be Kyle.

As any one who have read my fanfiction over at roswellfanatics know i have always been a proponment for Kyle and Isabel. So I can see it... in this case.

But it only leaves open for Maria to pose trouble for Max and Liz.

Quote:
I don’t think Maria will be forced into a triangle with Max and Liz. I don’t know if anyone watched TVD, but I think Maria will serve as a Bonnie Bennet type character; the best friend who is there to prop the lead with no real love interest or character arc of her own.
I do. They can't miss it. Vampire Diaries already had a triangle with Stefan/Elena and Damian. So there could be a "best friend" who didn't mix up in that, and even then I aware that the show played a bit with Stefan and Bonnie for awhile there... But only went in a new direction with Caroline. I stopped watching in season 2 when it became apparent the show loved Damian, actions be damned and Elena was not going to be long for Stefan. I was a Stefan and Elena fan.

If Maria is single. They won't be able to stop themselves from potentially mixing her with Max and Liz. And they are playing with fire if there is chemistry or shipper fans latch on.

Look at Dawson's Creek. The whole first season showed how Dawson and Joey had a major soulmate connection, and they just had to get together. And weather Jen. But then Pacey happened, and Dawson was left in the dust.

We got lucky in our version of Roswell that they ended up with two pairings. And they loved them. Found temptations and conflict and dysfunctions galore within those relationships, but they never were tempted to do a switch.

This show is almost angling for it...

Unless Michael is bi-sexual, and therefore could be a option. But it doesn't sound like it in the initial information.

Time will tell. But the show is playing by fire.
True love began to flourish among the challenges
October 6, 1999 began a incredible journey - Max and Liz forever!
Old 04-23-2018, 06:52 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
The only other option is to pair Maria and Kyle. We know Liz is coming back to town for her reunion, and for other reasons. She doesn't have a already made boyfriend in Kyle. So that leaves the potential for Kyle to go like the original show and give some headaches as Max and Liz rediscover. And especially if this Max and Liz knew each other in the past, but passed by each other and if Max has some secret involving the death of Liz's sister.

Or Maria and Kyle get together...

But it's almost calling for the "wacky" best friend, social blogger that this Maria is allegedly to also fall for the mystery cop. Best friends fighting over the same guy. Especially if Maria doesn't have a love story.

Because if Isabel in a unhappy marriage. She needs a temptation. That might be Kyle.

As any one who have read my fanfiction over at roswellfanatics know i have always been a proponment for Kyle and Isabel. So I can see it... in this case.

But it only leaves open for Maria to pose trouble for Max and Liz.

I do. They can't miss it. Vampire Diaries already had a triangle with Stefan/Elena and Damian. So there could be a "best friend" who didn't mix up in that, and even then I aware that the show played a bit with Stefan and Bonnie for awhile there... But only went in a new direction with Caroline. I stopped watching in season 2 when it became apparent the show loved Damian, actions be damned and Elena was not going to be long for Stefan. I was a Stefan and Elena fan.

If Maria is single. They won't be able to stop themselves from potentially mixing her with Max and Liz. And they are playing with fire if there is chemistry or shipper fans latch on.

Look at Dawson's Creek. The whole first season showed how Dawson and Joey had a major soulmate connection, and they just had to get together. And weather Jen. But then Pacey happened, and Dawson was left in the dust.

We got lucky in our version of Roswell that they ended up with two pairings. And they loved them. Found temptations and conflict and dysfunctions galore within those relationships, but they never were tempted to do a switch.

This show is almost angling for it...

Unless Michael is bi-sexual, and therefore could be a option. But it doesn't sound like it in the initial information.

Time will tell. But the show is playing by fire.
You make excellent points so I guess I can see that happen. All I know is it’s going to be a mess with the people in charge. I’m just so angry. Why couldn’t they just choose another book that hasn’t be adapted yet? There’s a billion of them. Plus I feel like this diminishes there being a chance of an actual revival. People will be like oh we got the reboot so there’s no point in wasting money on another version.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:09 AM
Elite Fan

Kyle is Liz's ex and if I'm not mistaken, wasn't he supposed to be add problems for Max and Liz, in the first draft of this cursed reboot?

Of course, that doesn't mean there won't be anything on the Isabel front. For Maria, if she isn't in a love triangle, then she will just be the best friend who has no arc and only one night stands which won't cause passion or problems in the show.

Or they wait until there's chemistry with any guy, either a new character created for the show (My, if there's no Michael-Maria, and they want to borrow from the books, we might end up with a Michael wannabe in Trevor, Michael's brother raised on their alien planet but that would mean the show being picked up and well) or one of the leads. Because, you know, writers love that in Hollywood.

Still, I'm stunned that the writers DARE to say that they are basing this reboot on the original books when:

- the characters in the books were teenagers, here they are almost in their 30's

- two romantic relationships out of three are obliterated before the start of the pilot (Michael-Maria, Alex-Isabel)

- already UC from the start: Isabel is married to a nobody,

- transforming two characters from straight to gays

I just... I shake my head and I'm completly stunned because I am left wondering what's left of the real Roswell books, which I have read, apparently contrary to the writers! I can picture those new writers-producers, if they had the misfortune of writing for a Pride and Prejudice series: Darcy and Elizabeth would be together, Jane would be single, Bingley and the Colonel would be gay and together, Georgianna would be a flirt and Wickham would probably end up with Charlotte Lucas!!!

This reboot really looks like a crossover between Dawson's creek and TVD.

Last edited by xmag; 04-23-2018 at 07:21 AM
Old 04-23-2018, 08:30 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Kyle is Liz's ex and if I'm not mistaken, wasn't he supposed to be add problems for Max and Liz, in the first draft of this cursed reboot?

Of course, that doesn't mean there won't be anything on the Isabel front. For Maria, if she isn't in a love triangle, then she will just be the best friend who has no arc and only one night stands which won't cause passion or problems in the show.

Or they wait until there's chemistry with any guy, either a new character created for the show (My, if there's no Michael-Maria, and they want to borrow from the books, we might end up with a Michael wannabe in Trevor, Michael's brother raised on their alien planet but that would mean the show being picked up and well) or one of the leads. Because, you know, writers love that in Hollywood.

Still, I'm stunned that the writers DARE to say that they are basing this reboot on the original books when:

- the characters in the books were teenagers, here they are almost in their 30's

- two romantic relationships out of three are obliterated before the start of the pilot (Michael-Maria, Alex-Isabel)

- already UC from the start: Isabel is married to a nobody,

- transforming two characters from straight to gays

I just... I shake my head and I'm completly stunned because I am left wondering what's left of the real Roswell books, which I have read, apparently contrary to the writers! I can picture those new writers-producers, if they had the misfortune of writing for a Pride and Prejudice series: Darcy and Elizabeth would be together, Jane would be single, Bingley and the Colonel would be gay and together, Georgianna would be a flirt and Wickham would probably end up with Charlotte Lucas!!!

This reboot really looks like a crossover between Dawson's creek and TVD.

In the draft of the script I read last night...Maria is pretty useless and doesn't have a whole lot to do. She served no purpose, might as well not have a Maria at all.

As for Kyle, he is the ex boyfriend and even in that draft him and Liz drunkenly hooked up. So whether it's him or Maria that causes problems between this Max and Liz or they try and shove him with Isobel (her name in this version), there will absolutely be a love triangle.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:05 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincipessaBella (View Post)
In the draft of the script I read last night...Maria is pretty useless and doesn't have a whole lot to do. She served no purpose, might as well not have a Maria at all.

As for Kyle, he is the ex boyfriend and even in that draft him and Liz drunkenly hooked up. So whether it's him or Maria that causes problems between this Max and Liz or they try and shove him with Isobel (her name in this version), there will absolutely be a love triangle.
A drunken hook up? Already? I mean, here we are, years later, still in love with Roswell, the show, the books because of the romantic part of the story, which is so rare in Hollywood. And here the writers just throw away what made the show unique : the love stories. And write drunken hooks up and love triangles right from the start.

This is a disaster. Roswell it is not, despite what the writers are trying to sell us.

About Maria, since she lost in the alien love story lottery, I don't see much of a role, apart from being Liz's friend:

- Alex probably knows about aliens, since he is with Michael,

- Maria doesn't know, so she will probably have the role in this reboot, that Alex had, the last human to know about aliens,

- if she ends up in a love story, it will be either Kyle, but what's attractive about two humans in a relationship in a show about aliens? That's why I believe that Kyle would have an affair with Isabel, her marriage being a disaster and Kyle's familial story being linked to aliens so he could know about Max, Isabel and Michael pretty soon,

- the summary of the pilot, if true, ends up with an alien crash so maybe there's an alien that will stay on Earth (Michael's brother? after all, he was part of the original books),

Last edited by xmag; 04-23-2018 at 10:19 AM
Old 04-23-2018, 10:15 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
A drunken hook up? Already? I mean, here we are, years later, still in love with Roswell, the show, the books because of the romantic part of the story, which is so rare in Hollywood. And here the writers just throw away what made the show unique : the love stories. And write drunken hooks up and love triangles right from the start.

This is a disaster. Roswell it is not, despite what the writers are trying to sell us.
It was just blah, honestly. I kept an open mind while reading it and it just was so very off. Also the first time we meet adult Isobel, it's during a very unnecessary and gratuitous sex scene with her husband that felt like it was thrown in for shock value (and by that, I mean by CW standards of shock).

I'm still holding out hope that they rename this version...hell, Roswell, NM as it was being referred to during the filming would be slightly better.

Like I mentioned in my post last night about finding the pilot script and reading it, let me know if anyone is interested in seeing it for themselves!
Old 04-23-2018, 10:22 AM
Elite Fan

You read it, what do you think is the plan, for Maria? Honestly, I don't get it.

Old 04-23-2018, 10:31 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
You read it, what do you think is the plan, for Maria? Honestly, I don't get it.
Ugh yeah, there was a link left somewhere that actually has every single pilot ordered for next season. But as for Maria, I have no idea. Carina is really pushing the whole "psychic-healer-influencer" where she makes money via social media posts. So it wouldn't surprise me if they tried to play that up (she was using her psychic skill to read her former classmates at their reunion) or that she may even just be a background character with not much to do, which is the feeling I got.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:36 AM
Fan Forum Hero

But to be fair, in our version of Roswell. Maria didn't have that much of a role in those first few episodes beyond being Liz's sidekick. It was only when they saw the chemistry between Michael and Maria that they started to craft more of a role for Maria.

So who knows what it will lead, if it does go to series. Pilots are notorious for selling the show, but things can turn rapidly different when it goes to series and you have to craft a whole season of episodes.

I can't see Maria being kept out of main circle. And if there isn't many choices for love, you fear it will go into the main lovestory of Max and Liz. Especially if Alex and Michael are no longer options...

I haven't read any drafts of the script. So I am in the dark, but I can't see Maria not having more of a part...for long.
True love began to flourish among the challenges
October 6, 1999 began a incredible journey - Max and Liz forever!
Old 04-23-2018, 10:43 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
But to be fair, in our version of Roswell. Maria didn't have that much of a role in those first few episodes beyond being Liz's sidekick. It was only when they saw the chemistry between Michael and Maria that they started to craft more of a role for Maria.

So who knows what it will lead, if it does go to series. Pilots are notorious for selling the show, but things can turn rapidly different when it goes to series and you have to craft a whole season of episodes.

I can't see Maria being kept out of main circle. And if there isn't many choices for love, you fear it will go into the main lovestory of Max and Liz. Especially if Alex and Michael are no longer options...

I haven't read any drafts of the script. So I am in the dark, but I can't see Maria not having more of a part...for long.
Oh absolutely, this is just based on one script that's available, it very well could be different down the line. But considering this is Carina MacKenzie, she has a hard-on for Nathan Parsons and will pander to him and probably Michael Trevino. Writing for her favorites and leaving the rest to be fairly undeveloped. A pilot should grab you and it didn't grab me. And while I'm obviously a huge fan of the original and don't feel like this version needs to happen...I went in with a clear, open mind and was able to read it as it's own thing without letting my emotions for the original cloud my judgement. It just didn't do it for me at all.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:42 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Okay, I read it, too, now, just to get a more accurate idea of what we’re even talking about. Spoilers ahead.

It’s not the worst Pilot ever but doesn’t compare to OUR Pilot. I think Jeanine Mason will do a good job as this version of Liz, but then again, I like Jeanine Mason. Liz and Kyle hook up randomly. Great.

Was TOTALLY turned off by Isobel’s introductory scene. It seems like the show is going to rely on some gratuitous sex.

Max and Liz kiss in a flashback in this one. So . . . yeah, episode one and you’ve already seen them kiss. She also doesn’t seem to freak out enough when she finds out he’s an alien. She just instantly vows to keep his secret.

The shooting scene seems underwhelming but could be different on screen.

The opening monologue is too expository and doesn’t draw you in the way “I’m Liz Parker, and five (five?) days ago I died. After that, things got really weird” does.

Maria is given no depth.

Michael is given depth, at least, but . . . sigh, it’s still a slap in the face to Candy fans. Oh, well, I guess MY Michael and Maria can remain untouched this way.

The actors playing Max and Liz are going to have to have amazing chemistry, because this script pushes the love angle instantly and doesn’t allow for much build-up.

Oh, the WORST part is by far the heavy-handed comparison of aliens to tourists. It’s like the “bad guys” in the story are literally using Trump’s words. (I’m no Trump fan, but damn, it just comes across as such heavy-handed writing. It’s just trying so hard to say “Hey, look, this relates to real life.” That should come across on its own.)

Like I said, it doesn’t seem like the worst Pilot ever, but it doesn’t compare to the original’s Pilot, either.
ICON

Last edited by April7739; 04-23-2018 at 04:47 PM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread