Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2017, 12:10 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Roswell to be Rebooted?

With a whole new twist, this is not how I wanted the show to be revived. I wanted a new chapter. Not a complete different look at Roswell...

But it's still the early days, so we'll see if the resulting product has any connection to the earlier television show...

Source: Deadline.com

Quote:
Roswell’ Reboot With Immigration Twist In Works At the CW From Amblin*TV
by Denise Petski

Fifteen years after Roswell ended its three-season run on the WB and UPN, the two networks’ successor, the CW, is resurrecting the cult sci-fi title.

The CW has put in development Roswell, an hourlong reimagining of the 1999 series. Like the original, the new version is based on*the Roswell High book series by Melinda Metz. It hails from Amblin Television, Bender Brown Prods, and Warner Bros. TV.

Written and executive produced by The Originals scribe*Carina Adly MacKenzie, the new Roswell reflects the realities of its location in a state bordering Mexico. After reluctantly returning to her tourist-trap hometown of Roswell, New Mexico, the daughter of undocumented immigrants discovers a shocking truth about her teenage crush who is now a police officer: he’s an alien who has kept his unearthly abilities hidden his entire life. She protects his secret as the two reconnect and begin to investigate his origins, but when a violent attack and long-standing government cover-up point to a greater alien presence on Earth, the politics of fear and hatred threaten to expose him and destroy their deepening romance.

Kevin Kelly Brown, who was an executive producer on the original series, is the link that connects the two Roswell incarnations. Besides him, it’s a whole new producing team. Brown and Lawrence Bender executive produce via their Bender Brown Prods, alongside Justin Falvey and Darryl Frank of Amblin TV.

The original Roswell series was developed and executive produced by Jason Katims and introduced a young ensemble that included Shiri Appleby, Jason Behr, Katherine Heigl, Brendan Fehr, Emilie de Ravin, Majandra Delfino, Nick Wechsler, Colin Hanks and Adam Rodriguez *— all of whom went on to star on other series.
Regency TV and 20th Century Fox TV, who produced the 1999 series, have no involvement
in the reboot.

Bender Brown have just completed production on the drama series Seven Seconds for Netflix. They are repped by WME and attorneys Carlos Goodman and Leslie Abell. Amblin TV is finalizing a deal with Apple for a series order to an Amazing Stories reboot via Universal TV. It also is repped by WME.
True love began to flourish among the challenges
October 6, 1999 began a incredible journey - Max and Liz forever!
Old 10-12-2017, 02:04 PM
New Fan

I know. I got exicted when I first read it but then realized it was not the same. But guess that's what reboots do. I don't know how much they could add or keep from the original story, that and the characters are what make Roswell so awesome.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:21 PM
Elite Fan

I refuse to watch this.
It's all about reboots now.
They can't be originals anymore.

What they should do is a "Gilmore Girl's: one year in the life" Roswell 4 episodes sequels to see what they're doing now ect...
Old 10-12-2017, 02:52 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesophia (View Post)

What they should do is a "Gilmore Girl's: one year in the life" Roswell 4 episodes sequels to see what they're doing now ect...
A year in the life with the former Roswell characters is a great idea!

I don't mind the reboot idea though. It is still based off the original Roswell High books by Melinda Metz. It has potential and I trust Carina MacKenzie to try to show some homage to our beloved Roswell.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:09 PM
Elite Fan

Roswell reboot with total new story and cast? Nope.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:27 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I wouldn't be against it if it could have some kind of tie in to the original show, and original cast. I know they are going for how they are redoing Dynasty, for a younger generation and more of a ethnic cast.

But this is made for a revamp. Have a tie in. Say it's Max and Liz's daughter who comes to her grandparent's and parent's hometown only to learn she is the daughter of a undocumented father due to Max and Isabel's "questionable" heritage. They were adopted. But they did come to Earth via pods, so no birth parents on Earth.

Or have Max and Liz's daughter fall in love with a undocumented male. She has the alien powers.

Maybe get Shiri and/or Jason or other former cast members to make appearances.

I know they said, the studio behind it, is not the originating studio so they probably can't do a direct reboot...

But it would be better... Because the show is a cult classic because of the show AND the original cast!

Otherwise, some of those obstacles would not been able to have fans stick with the show!
Old 10-12-2017, 05:22 PM
Elite Fan

from the new writer/producer

Old 10-12-2017, 06:51 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Lesley Goldberg‏
Verified account
@Snoodit
#Roswell Reboot in the Works at The CW 'Roswell' Reboot in the Works at The CW | Hollywood Reporter cc @cadlymack

icon credit: crash landing
Old 10-12-2017, 07:17 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranto (View Post)
from the new writer/producer

And that means? Teen Wolf was based on a movie. Roswell is a much loved, sure cult classic and not a hit. But it has generation of fans that hold it to their hearts. Very different than if it had been a one time movie.

It might work out. But I am truly uncertain it can. Because Shiri and Jason, and the whole cast's chemistry was so magical. Hard to recapture that...

Unless you have some of the old cast!
Old 10-12-2017, 07:56 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, I heard about this today, and my reaction was pretty much . . . WHAT IN THE ACTUAL ****?!
ICON
Old 10-12-2017, 09:38 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Roswell

OK I am so upset about this! If this happens we are So taking the fandom back!

We still believe in Roswell just not this one! It's not even the original cast or storyline of Roswell!

Why can't the CW call this new show a different name leave our Roswell alone!

Tweet the CW with the #NotMyRoswell #NoRoswellReboot #LeaveRoswellAlone

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheCW

'Roswell' Reboot in the Works at The CW | Hollywood Reporter

Quote:
OCTOBER 12, 2017 12:00pm PT by Lesley Goldberg

'Roswell' Reboot in the Works at The CW

The CW is going back to Roswell.

The network is teaming with The Originals producer Carina MacKenzie for a timely reboot based on the Melinda Metz book Roswell High that also spawned the Jason Katims drama.

MacKenzie will executive produce the drama, which hails from Warner Bros. Television, Amblin Television and Bender Brown Productions. Amblin's Justin Falvey and Darryl Frank will exec produce. Lawrence Bender and Kevin Kelly Brown will exec produce for Bender Brown. Brown was among the exec producers on the Katims drama that starred Shiri Appleby and Jason Behr and ran for three seasons on The WB Network (which became The CW) and UPN.

The Originals' producer Carina MacKenzie will pen the script

The original Roswell series, produced by Regency Television and 20th Century Fox Television, was developed for Fox and was based on the YA book series Roswell High by Metz and Laura J. Burns. (Both would eventually write for the TV series.) The drama revolved around high school students in the town of Roswell, the site of a UFO incident in 1947. Behr, Katherine Heigl and Brendan Fehr starred as alien/human hybrids and Appleby as the human who fell in love with Behr's Max. The drama explored topics including forbidden love.

Reboots continue to remain in high demand this development season as broadcast, cable and streaming outlets look for proven IP in a bid to cut through a cluttered landscape of more than 450 original scripted series. Also in the works this season are reboots of The Nice Guys (Fox), True Lies (Fox), The Jetsons (ABC), The Munsters (NBC), Starsky and Hutch (Amazon) and Party of Five, the latter of which is currently being shopped. Key to the remakes is having the original producers involved in some capacity as more studios look to monetize their existing film libraries.

Immigration has become a popular topic this development season as the Trump administration threatens to end former President Barack Obama’s Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program. The CW's Roswell will explore the immigrant dynamic.

The news comes as The Originals is in production on its fifth and final season at The CW. The series will return midseason. MacKenzie is repped by WME. Bender Brown recently completed production on Netflix drama Seven Seconds and scored a Golden Globe nomination for Starz drama Flesh and Bone. It is repped by WME and Carlos Goodman and Leslie Abell.

The project, which is in development at the younger-skewing network, has an immigrant twist. Here's the official logline: "After reluctantly returning to her tourist-trap hometown of Roswell, New Mexico, the daughter of undocumented immigrants discovers a shocking truth about her teenage crush who is now a police officer: He’s an alien who has kept his unearthly abilities hidden his entire life. She protects his secret as the two reconnect and begin to investigate his origins, but when a violent attack and long-standing government cover-up point to a greater alien presence on Earth, the politics of fear and hatred threaten to expose him and destroy their deepening romance.
Roswell Board~Celebrating 300,000 posts of Silver Handprints, Alien Blasts, & Tabasco Sause "OMG your the girl I didn't puke on"~Stephenie Meyer to me in reference to meeting her at the 2008 San Diego Comic Con~8/1/08
4/18/11~ the day I brushed shoulders with Robert Pattinson!

Last edited by Roswell 10/2/00; 10-12-2017 at 10:04 PM
Old 10-13-2017, 04:23 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Shiri Appleby

I do not know how I feel about this
Old 10-13-2017, 05:41 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I am not against it, if they could tie in the original show. But if it's going to be using the same characters but new actors, and using the shell of the name of Roswell. No thank you. We don't need a new Max. Or Liz. Or Maria and Michael...Katherine, Nick...

It's a cult classic because of Jason, Shiri, Majandra and Brendan.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:11 AM
New Fan

Hey Guys it's Nomi.

I know since we heard the news yesterday a lot of the fans have felt really conflicted. Mainly because we want to see the old cast. I will be posting this on the Baron and Toluca Thread as well, but please keep my post here as Roswellback and Crashdown are trying to come up yet again with another campaign to counter the reboot, not to disrespect its efforts by any means, but to just proclaim we wanted the Original Cast. Since it seems like this is a new story and new mystery with a new cast, we really could use B+T right now.

Here is the info. I hope you all can join us on Twitter tomorrow. It's a whole day event, and we need to speak up about what we want. Right now B+T seems to be the most appealing. Check it out:

"You’ve probably heard, Roswell is considered in getting a reboot. Intrigued? So are we! But before you get super excited we should warn you, that this CW Reboot means new cast, new story, and new mystery. It sounds really cool, but naturally a lot of Roswell fans, especially the die hard ones, wanted something with the original cast back. The Roswell fans have been wanting some type of Revival for years. Getting this news may be exciting but also...a little disheartening.

So why not make EVERYONE happy- those that are excited for this new treat, means great news! But what about all those fans that wanted the original cast?

CUE IN B+T. Brendan Fehr and Majandra Delfino who played Michael and Maria, respectively on the Roswell series, have banded together to to take our beloved show and carry it into a slightly different concept---one that will even feature our favorite Roswell cast members appearing from time to time, as Brendan has said in a couple Facebook Live chats."

So this Saturday let’s Tweet to @NETFLIX AND @HULU that we want B+T! For those of you that haven’t heard, the promo and synopsis can all be found here: http://www.baronandtoluca.com/"

"Let's spend the whole of Saturday, October 14th, tweeting, posting, and sharing our fervor with Netflix and Hulu with the hashtags #NETFLXforBandT and #HULUforBandT and the link of the promo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix-t3wlUuwU&t=9s. Feel free to add pictures and GIFS to attract more fans to step up! We want those old feels ignited by the original cast. Let’s DO THIS!

Last edited by 9loveletters9; 10-13-2017 at 06:18 AM
Old 10-13-2017, 10:34 AM
Fan Forum Hero

So I just saw this a few minutes ago, and my initial reaction is NOPE. Especially if it has nothing to do with the original cast and show. I also don't understand her answer/comparing it to Teen Wolf.

I don't know, they tried a similar thing with Star Crossed and that tanked. I don't know how I feel about them attempting to use the Roswell name in such a way? I'm super conflicted. I guess we need more details, but as of right now I'm not on board.

If it ties on with our beloved Roswell in some way, then I might be interested.

Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top