Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2018, 04:16 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liriel (View Post)
EDIT: Isobel's relationship with her husband could be interesting. I will be kinda sad if it ends up M/L and M/M both, though, because I/A was my favorite on our show, and they'll be the only ones left out. But that's a no-go here, of course.
Even if Isobel was single in this version, there would be no I/A since Alex is gay here. There is obviously M/L, but not necessarily M/M...instead it'll be M/A.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:51 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincipessaBella (View Post)
Even if Isobel was single in this version, there would be no I/A since Alex is gay here. There is obviously M/L, but not necessarily M/M...instead it'll be M/A.
I meant that's obviously a no go because he's gay. Though I don't ship married people with other characters, as a general rule.

I did hear some speculation about M/A, but I didn't know there were any spoilers to that effect - I only read the character bios from an article and the wikipedia page (which contradicted as one said Maria was a social media professional and the other a socialite and those are two different things) and it just said Michael wanted to leave the planet, so I just assumed he wasn't in love with anyone at the moment.

EDIT: Although, I guess it's quite possible both Alex and Isobel will be breaking up with the SOs, since that creates drama. Isobel's (must get used to "o" - keep typing "a") hubby may even turn evil later, just for drama. I don't like good guys turning evil. I know, I know, I already said I wasn't planning to watch. But, like I said, Isobel's could be interesting, despite illustrating an extreme lack of trust in her husband (even if we go the old school route and have Max/Michael pressuring her not to tell a loved one - she's an adult in this one, and he's her husband, and that's a problem). And I kinda want to check it out for he and maybe Kyle and Alex and possibly Michael (less sure from his description). Nothing really grabs me on the other three yet, from the one paragraph bios I read. I just think I'll likely end up unhappy with the ultimate direction. Maybe just wait until there are a few eps and then binge (if I like it). Don't get as invested as when you discuss every week. That helped make me love the first series, and be so disappointed when it went downhill (IMO, of course).

Last edited by Liriel; 06-21-2018 at 05:10 PM
Old 06-21-2018, 09:27 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Roswell

Honesty the ships are all screwed up.

No Candies, No Stargazers, event The Dreamers won't be the same.

I don't see the point because it will not be close to the show we all knew and loved.

I wonder if Nascado or Kivar will show up?
Roswell Board~Celebrating 300,000 posts of Silver Handprints, Alien Blasts, & Tabasco Sause "OMG your the girl I didn't puke on"~Stephenie Meyer to me in reference to meeting her at the 2008 San Diego Comic Con~8/1/08
4/18/11~ the day I brushed shoulders with Robert Pattinson!
Old 06-22-2018, 12:42 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
I don't see the point because it will not be close to the show we all knew and loved.
Well, if I do watch it, the point for me will be a new show that I might like. Not connected the old one (that's the trick - severing the connection - made easier because our Roswell was also based off source material that was very different). I like sci-fi in general, though, so it's the sort of show I might tune in to watch (more so if not on CW) if all the names were different. So that's where I'm coming from.

I think I have less love for the show than some here, too, and that probably plays in. Loved the first season (though the chance in tone for the last four eps and the inconsistent Nasedo was a problem for me), but I disliked the second season a lot. Wanted to quit watching, but my sister talked me into staying through the finale in hopes it would get better. It did not, not to me. Never saw the third season. But I think it's harder to see a reboot or re-imagining of a show you think did everything right than it is of one you think got screwed up along the way. Probably easiest with shows you casually liked, but weren't deeply invested in.

Quote:
Were either of these figures in the books (I never read them)? I'd expect, legally speaking, this show to be unable to use character created for the other show. At least, not without paying some sort of fee.

It's easier to think to think this isn't a reboot of our show; it's a completely separate take on the books. Looks like it's even more accurate to say it borrows a few elements from the books, and is its own thing, really.

Last edited by Liriel; 06-22-2018 at 12:48 PM
Old 06-22-2018, 01:35 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswell 10/2/00 (View Post)
Maybe that's the whole point though? To be as different as possible? IDK.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:10 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Honesty the ships are all screwed up.

No Candies, No Stargazers, event The Dreamers won't be the same.

They definitely won't show up since they were created for the original show.

Quote:
Maybe that's the whole point though? To be as different as possible? IDK.
Obviously since they can't legally use anything the original created, that actually gives them very little they can use for this one that will mirror it. Sadly, it seems this version won't be based any more on the books than the original show was. Carina MacKenzie basically said she didn't read the series and that beyond the main plot point of the first book, this show will forge its own path and storylines. So I would agree with the point of it being as different as possible, even from the source material.

Which begs me to question what the point is in the first place? The more information that comes out, the more I wonder why they didn't just create an entirely new show about aliens without ties to the book series at all (other than the brand recognition/built in fanbase of basing it on an existing property). I know they sort of tried to do that with Star Crossed 4 years ago and it failed, but I bet if that show were to come out now...it would likely survive a couple years. Just my thoughts though.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:04 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Which begs me to question what the point is in the first place? The more information that comes out, the more I wonder why they didn't just create an entirely new show about aliens without ties to the book series at all (other than the brand recognition/built in fanbase of basing it on an existing property).
Old 06-23-2018, 08:36 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Roswell

Quote:

Which begs me to question what the point is in the first place? The more information that comes out, the more I wonder why they didn't just create an entirely new show about aliens without ties to the book series at all .
This is what we have been saying on this board all along since we first heard of this crazy reboot!
Roswell Board~Celebrating 300,000 posts of Silver Handprints, Alien Blasts, & Tabasco Sause "OMG your the girl I didn't puke on"~Stephenie Meyer to me in reference to meeting her at the 2008 San Diego Comic Con~8/1/08
4/18/11~ the day I brushed shoulders with Robert Pattinson!
Old 06-24-2018, 03:17 AM
Elite Fan

They just wanted to use the title "Roswell" to get fans from the original to watch....terrible decision, we're all against it
Old 06-24-2018, 09:31 AM
Fan Forum Star

They are rebooting this show?
Emily
Old 06-25-2018, 12:25 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barstool Prophet (View Post)
They are rebooting this show?
It's not a reboot, but a new re-imagining of the book series. Same source material but very very different takes and zero connection between the two shows.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:34 AM
Elite Fan

Thank god
Old 06-25-2018, 10:23 AM
Fan Forum Star

So they aren't using the same characters?
Emily
Old 06-25-2018, 11:24 AM
Elite Fan

It's complicated, there will be a Liz, Maria, Alex, Michael but the stories will be different, i.e: Micheal/Alex will be together!!!!

The characters are older as well (in their Thirties).
Old 06-25-2018, 12:47 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barstool Prophet (View Post)
So they aren't using the same characters?
In theory, yes, the same characters (with the names from the books...ie, Liz Ortecho, Alex Manes). But they're adults this time, 28 to be exact. Isabel is Isobel and married, Sheriff Valenti is a woman and Kyle's mom (his dad will be dead in this version) and Liz's sister Rosa exists. The central couple is still Max and Liz, but right now no Michael and Maria as Michael is with Alex.

So the characters are taken straight from the books to a degree. Even as their personalities are the same, they're also very different and the dynamics between the characters are different. This new version legally has no rights to the original show and therefore any characters and storylines created specifically for the original version will never exist in this one. Basically it seems the only similarity is the shooting at the Crashdown and Max saving Liz's life. Oh and the fact that Max still drives a Jeep.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread