Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2020, 02:54 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

a lot of people have a problem with this idea. I don't really mind either way tbh, I just want to see good television.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:42 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikimart727 (View Post)
I have not seen the new show, but one thing that kinda bothers me is their idea of inclusive television. I read somewhere that the showrunner said something along the lines of Roswell being about a bunch of white people and that's why she wanted to do something different. Yes Roswell had a mostly white cast (Majandra being the exception, though she is very fair skinned) but I don't think that fact made it difficult for others to relate to it. As a black woman(girl when the show aired) I certainly had no trouble. What think Roswell did beautifully particularly in the first season, was show what it's like to be a teenager, trying to figure out who you are, knowing who you are and being terrified that people won't or cant accept it. Even more so, what it like to be human, why are we here? Where did we come from? Who put us here in the first place? The new show seems to be lacking nuances because it's so busy trying throw everything in your face. They should focus less on being timely and more on being timeless.
This, so much this. The overarching theme of the original show was otherness and feeling like an outsider. If done right, it won't matter if a show has a predominantly white cast, black cast, latinx cast, asian cast, etc. You will be able to see yourself in those characters and what they go through regardless as long as the writing and nuance is there. Which is exactly what this new version lacks and part of my problem with it. I'm all for timely and inclusive television, as long as it's done right. And this show doesn't seem to handle it very well. Throughout the season, it felt like they had a checklist of topics they wanted to include and they threw them in without really thinking it through. I wish I could get into more detail, but it would involve spoilers and I don't want to spoil anything in case wickedrum decides to watch it.

I absolutely cannot stand the showrunner (and some of the cast's) continued comments about the original being "so white." By saying that, they are completely erasing Majandra's identity and white washing her. So what if she's a fair haired, fair skinned Latina, she's still Latina and identifies as such. It's not a good look for any of them to continue to do that and shows how tone deaf they've been.

Last edited by PrincipessaBella; 01-22-2020 at 06:21 PM
Old 01-19-2020, 08:01 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincipessaBella (View Post)
This, so much this. The overarching theme of the original show was otherness and feeling like an outsider. If done right, it won't matter if a show has a predominantly white cast, black cast, latinx cast, asian cast, etc. You will be able to see yourself in those characters and what they go through regardless as long as the writing and nuance is there. Which is exactly what this new version lacks and part of my problem with it. I'm all for timely and inclusive television, as long as it's done right. And this show doesn't seem to handle it very well. Throughout the season, it felt like they had a checklist of topics they wanted to include and they threw them without really thinking it through.

I absolutely cannot stand the showrunner (and some of the cast's) continued comments about the original being "so white." By saying that, they are completely erasing Majandra's identity and white washing her. So what if she's a fair haired, fair skinned Latina, she's still Latina and identifies as such. It's not a good look for any of them to continue to do that and shows how tone deaf they've been.
Max basically says it in his "impromptu" Graduation speech LOL. They were a group of outsiders. Sure Liz and Maria weren't when they met their aliens. Still, it was a story of a world being open. To Liz and Maria. And for the aliens to have people accept them for being who they are, and having to keep it a secret from the public at large, and the danger that started to bleed into their lives.

It made it more real to use high schoolers who are very innocent and therefore when they stumble into something bigger than themselves, they are taken back, and they are pulled in different directions because they are young, and in love and trying to grow up.

This show doesn't get it. It tries to tick off all the boxes. And doesn't strive to tell something interesting. It has it's moments. But the original show for all it's flaws tried to show something unique.
True love began to flourish among the challenges
October 6, 1999 began a incredible journey - Max and Liz forever!
Old 01-22-2020, 06:04 PM
Master Fan

I agree with a lot of this.....it’s about humans and humanity and when you go down the slippery slope of ethnicity and color it can get a bit treacherous. The creator did get in some hot water when she made Noah
Spoiler:
and some fans were upset at her creative choices since she sort of boxed herself in with her casting. I just want to watch a show about humans. Honestly if there are aliens out there and they visit earth we will all simply be humans to them
Old 01-22-2020, 08:14 PM
Fan Forum Hero

And at the time apparently they simply made the decision to change the name to Parker because they found Shiri, and she was perfect for the role. So, they decided to change the name. It was about the right person for the role. Not about ticking off a box or trying to be all white back in that era.

Of course today is a different time for casting, and choices all around. That is fine. But it should be about who is right for the role.

I can see they wanted to explore by going this angle of Liz that was in the books, but was changed in the first incarnation of the show. They wanted to make it true for today. That is fine. But but don't bad mouth the casting choices of the original show.

Jason and Shiri were magical as Max and Liz. The show really would have been dead in Season 1 if it wasn't for them...
True love began to flourish among the challenges
October 6, 1999 began a incredible journey - Max and Liz forever!
Old 01-22-2020, 09:03 PM
Part-Time Fan

That's another point I take issue with. They have bad mouthed the casting choices so much and threw around the white washing comment one too many times in terms of Liz, without seeming to know what the term actually meant. Shiri was cast as Liz PARKER, not Liz ORTECHO. Had she been cast as Liz Ortecho, yes, that would be white washing the character. But since she was changed to Parker to fit the white actress, it becomes a moot point. It's a similar situation with Alex as well.

Don't even get me started on the Noah problem with new one. I have a lot of feelings about that choice

They've also made some comments about the original characters in general too that rubs me the wrong way. As if their versions are stronger, smarter, and more flawed and ours were just lovestruck teenagers without a will or mind of their own, oftentimes stuck in abusive relationships.

You're 100% correct in saying Jason and Shiri were magic. As the backbone of the entire series, if they didn't have the chemistry they did, there's no way the show would have survived, hell it probably wouldn't have even gotten past the pilot stage.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:32 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Roswell

Aw it drive me nuts at the Comic Con talk I went to when they aired the pilot about how "White Washed" the original cast was.

Hello Majandra is from Venezuela, Jason Behr is part Native American, Shiri is Jewish, and Emilie is Australian, Nick was a native from the state of New Mexico, Brendan is Canadian and Mormon, Katherine is Mormon, and Colin is Tom Hanks son!

So if you ask me we had the most interfaith and international cast going.

I am so sick of Carina MacKenzie and Julie Pleck playing the victumes and hiding behind some political montra about how the original didn't represent anyone. Their show is so bad and they need an excuse to justify the bad actors they hired and the bad storylines they write.

Plus there was an article that came out in 1999 about how diverse the Roswell cast was and how Shiri had to fight for the role of Liz Parker and got it based on her preformance.

Article from Crashdown .com

What Do We Know About The CW’s New Alien Show?

What Do We Know About The CW’s New Alien Show?

By Lena • Oct 16th, 2017 • Category: Roswell
So, what do we know about new The CW alien show, which is currently in development?

We collected everything we could find and what the woman behind the show, Carina MacKenzie (The Originals), revealed on social media. At the moment, we can’t directly see what about this new show is tied to the books or the orginal show. We came to the conclusion that this version is slightly different from anything we’ve seen so far, even the Roswell High book series itself. Thus, a “re-imagination.”

For us, it looks like a completely new show which happens to take place in the town of Roswell, although there is some alien action and a romance which is of course similar to “Roswell”.

There won’t be any Tabasco sauce involved.

With the help of Tabasco – the aliens’ favorite condiment – fans saved the show years ago. When asked “Keep the hot sauce thing please.”, McKenzie replied: “I don’t think I can because they do the same thing on iZombie! Working on an alternative.

Everything is new

“This is a completely new story, new characters, new mystery.” said McKenzie on Twitter. The official tagline says the following:

“After reluctantly returning to her tourist-trap hometown of Roswell, New Mexico, the daughter of undocumented immigrants discovers a shocking truth about her teenage crush who is now a police officer: He’s an alien who has kept his unearthly abilities hidden his entire life. She protects his secret as the two reconnect and begin to investigate his origins, but when a violent attack and long-standing government cover-up point to a greater alien presence on Earth, the politics of fear and hatred threaten to expose him and destroy their deepening romance.”

Why is it marketed as a ‘Reboot’?

While most of the articles are wording this project as a ‘reboot’ of “Roswell”, it’s not exactly how Carina MacKenzie would describe it. “It’s inspired by the same source material that the original series was based on. I would say “reimagining” but I’m not press. ” explained MacKenzie. In a later reply she clarified “The word “twist” was used by press, not me.”

Liz Ortecho?

In the very first draft for the “Roswell” pilot, there wasn’t Liz Parker but Liz Ortecho. It’s well known that the character name was changed to Parker because of Shiri Appleby’s brilliant audition.

The issue of diversity on Roswell, and specifically why Liz Ortecho from the books became Liz Parker on the show was addressed in an article back in 1999. Read more (Diversity on Roswell):

The Cast of Roswell, Outsiders for the Millennium

posted: 04:00 pm EST
05 October 1999

One of the first things a casual television viewer will notice about Roswell, the WB network’s new teen-alien hybrid, is that it takes place on a planet of the young and photogenic.

Like Felicity, Dawson’s Creek or any other WB hour-length drama aimed at the under-30 demographic — even the venerable Buffy — Roswell is stocked with fresh faces, few of whom are likely to be familiar to even the most celebrity-jaded Hollywood insiders. Only a handful of genuinely adult characters get more than a few lines of dialogue, while most of the other featured performers are in their early 20s. A few, notably Venezuela-born Majandra Delfino, who plays the obligatory “best friend and confidant” role here, are barely out of high school themselves.

By adding a hint of Hispanic authenticity, Delfino also serves to anchor the series in the real-world Roswell’s deeply Southwestern (and hence Latin) roots. Both David Nutter and Jason Katims, two of the show’s executive producers, have expressed a desire to make their Roswell reflect New Mexico’s varied ethnic map, with Nutter in particular being very firm about the production’s “responsibility and challenge to examine diversity.”

This diversity extends to the show’s adult characters, with Michael Horse, an actor of mixed Pueblo descent, effectively reprising the sheriff’s right-hand-man role that made him a cult figure in David Lynch’s Twin Peaks. Although Horse’s role is relatively minor in Roswell so far (he is not mentioned in the show’s official press materials), his dry wit is always a welcome addition to the scenes in which he appears.

However, Nutter and Katims made the difficult choice of transforming the show’s starring role from the Latina “Liz Ortecho” of the original young-adult novels to the WASPier “Liz Parker.”

The decision to change the character’s name and, by implication, downplay her ethnicity was due to newcomer Shiri Appleby’s brilliant audition, Nutter said.

“You cast for parts, you look for the best actor, regardless of where they come from,” he said. “Shiri Appleby came in and she definitely encapsulated everything we wanted to see in that part.”
[/i]

The decision to change the character’s name and, by implication, downplay her ethnicity was due to newcomer Shiri Appleby’s brilliant audition, Nutter said.

[quote]“You cast for parts, you look for the best actor, regardless of where they come from,” he said. “Shiri Appleby came in and she definitely encapsulated everything we wanted to see in that part.”

In the new show, which is currently in develpment, diversity will play a larger role. “Liz was Latina in the books, her friend was Native American, etc.” sets MacKenzie. She added in another reply: “The word “twist” was never used in my pitch. It’s not a twist — Liz was Latina in the original novels & thus I will not whitewash.” In another conversation she explained that she will write about fear and hatred, but with sci-fi elements as well. “I’m writing more about my experience with fear and hatred as a Muslim American than anything else.” and said “But like… also UFOs and *******.”
Roswell Board~Celebrating 300,000 posts of Silver Handprints, Alien Blasts, & Tabasco Sause "OMG your the girl I didn't puke on"~Stephenie Meyer to me in reference to meeting her at the 2008 San Diego Comic Con~8/1/08
4/18/11~ the day I brushed shoulders with Robert Pattinson!

Last edited by Roswell 10/2/00; 01-24-2020 at 09:49 PM
Old 02-08-2020, 10:39 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Roswell

So the show that shall not be named will be airing I hear on March 16,2020.

I wonder what episode Jason will be in.

Anyway here is a little something to remind you of the magic of the original. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOUG...ture=emb_title

Roswell Board~Celebrating 300,000 posts of Silver Handprints, Alien Blasts, & Tabasco Sause "OMG your the girl I didn't puke on"~Stephenie Meyer to me in reference to meeting her at the 2008 San Diego Comic Con~8/1/08
Old 02-09-2020, 07:19 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
The Roswell New Mexico show returns with it’s season 2 premiere on Monday March 16 at 9pm on the CW network here in the US. If they run new episodes each week I’m guessing the 4th episode will air on Monday April 6. We are not sure which exact episodes for sure, but the information so far says he’s in the episode Shiri Appleby (original Liz) directs and that is episode 4. The creator confirmed he’s in five episodes total out of the 13 that will run in season 2. Someone confirmed a sighting of him filming the 12th episode a few weeks ago. Also if I remember correctly we have some info he was on set for episode 9

If this is true he’s in episodes 4,9, and 12 and two others.... HOWEVER...the Roswell New Mexico fan forum has a thread quoting the creator “we are shooting out of order this season”. Given that tidbit we are not entirely sure WHEN he will pop up since they could edit his scenes into any episodes I guess.... During the NYCC some of the regular actors mentioned being confused while filming which episode that scene would air. Good evidence his character is part of the flashback to the ‘47 crash so honestly the story could be popped into any of the episodes....

Meaning....Shiri could have directed him in a scene while she was there filming episode 4 , yet that scene may appear in an earlier or later episode....

I’ll take one for the team and watch each episode as they air and report
I copied this from what I posted a few days ago over on Jason’s board......if anyone has anything to add to or correct please feel free, but this is the info I’ve gathered so far....
Old 02-09-2020, 12:43 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

March!
Old 02-10-2020, 09:17 PM
Part-Time Fan

I'm really curious when the promo will be released and if the CW folks in charge of putting those together will add in any clips of Jason. If they were smart, they would, as that could drum up some more publicity and eyes for the new season. Especially since the news that he would be in this season was back in October and the more casual viewer (ie: those who don't really follow news about the show, people like us, or obsessed fans) familiar with him might not even realize he'll be on it.

Anyone else have any speculation about the promo?
Old 02-10-2020, 09:19 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Roswell

I don't think the CW is that smart.

However I am wondering when we will start to see the promos.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:53 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswell 10/2/00 (View Post)
I don't think the CW is that smart.

However I am wondering when we will start to see the promos.
Accurate

The trend I've noticed the past couple years is that the network honestly seems to stop promoting their shows after their first season. This one is now in season 2 and already was renewed for a season 3, so they probably care even less.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:38 PM
Loyal Fan

So true! They've already showed that viewership is a non factor since they renewed shows that hadn't even aired yet. So yeah, they don't care

"You find me offensive, I find you offensive for finding me offensive "
"Oh mercy, mercy me. Oh things ain't what they used to be no"
Old 02-11-2020, 05:26 PM
Part-Time Fan

I feel so bad for the shows on that network. Whether you enjoy any of them or not, it sucks when you work so hard on something and you don't even receive much respect in return.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread