Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2020, 05:21 PM
Part-Time Fan

Yeah she absolutely doesn't have any experience whatsoever as a showrunner. She DOES have a co-showrunner (Chris Hollier), but it doesn't seem he's involved that much. Carina started as a television journalist, which is how she became friends with Julie Plec since she would often visit the set of The Vampire Diaries. Julie convinced her to quit her job as a journalist and she went on to become a writer's assistant on The Originals. During that show's run is when she became a staff writer. And now we're here. A very obviously inexperienced person who knew the right people to get the job she has.

Also a fun detail to note, which might put some perspective on her writing and some of choices she makes on the show...she apparently used to write some really weird Supernatural fanfiction.
Old 06-11-2020, 09:34 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Roswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincipessaBella (View Post)
Yeah she absolutely doesn't have any experience whatsoever as a showrunner. She DOES have a co-showrunner (Chris Hollier), but it doesn't seem he's involved that much. Carina started as a television journalist, which is how she became friends with Julie Plec since she would often visit the set of The Vampire Diaries. Julie convinced her to quit her job as a journalist and she went on to become a writer's assistant on The Originals. During that show's run is when she became a staff writer. And now we're here. A very obviously inexperienced person who knew the right people to get the job she has.

Also a fun detail to note, which might put some perspective on her writing and some of choices she makes on the show...she apparently used to write some really weird Supernatural fanfiction.
OMG this totally makes sense now! Oh man the Supernatural fan fic writers are crazy.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy the show but some of my friends agree the fandom is die hard and nuts. I went to my share of early Supernatural Comic Con talks back in the day like 2007 and 2008, 2009 and 2012. So I get the fandom. However some of my friends who are fans have told me that when it comes to the Supernatiral fan fics they have read and seen it all. They said some are so weird and very strange.

Wow now everything falls into place. Carina really doesn't hve any experience writing at all. I wonder if she was a Vampire Diaries fan and magically thanks to Julie Plec turned into the next E. L. James. In case you don't know the story E.L. James who wrote 50 Shades of Grey stated out as a very popular Twilight Fan Fic writer I think her fan fic name was Icy Dragon and then published her fan fic Master Of the Universe series that became 50 Shades of Grey. Another a classic story of right place and right time but that does not always mean you have talent.
Roswell Board~Celebrating 300,000 posts of Silver Handprints, Alien Blasts, & Tabasco Sause "OMG your the girl I didn't puke on"~Stephenie Meyer to me in reference to meeting her at the 2008 San Diego Comic Con~8/1/08
4/18/11~ the day I brushed shoulders with Robert Pattinson!

Last edited by Roswell 10/2/00; 06-11-2020 at 09:42 PM
Old 06-11-2020, 10:09 PM
Part-Time Fan

Ohhh man the Supernatural fandom is terrifying. I've been a fan since the beginning, I've watched the show weekly for its entire 15 year run and will finish it out weekly as soon as it comes back for the final run of episodes. That being said, I've never actually been IN the fandom because of how toxic and scary and terrible it is. Obviously there's normal fans out there but the majority is so unwelcoming, it's just weird. Which the RNM fandom is starting to remind me a bit of that. It's becoming increasingly toxic where everyone is just so mean to each other and at times, borderline or outright racist and homophobic.

In fact, the Roswell fandom is the only fandom I've been a part of and still actively am. It's the only one that still feels truly welcome and open.

E.L. James got so lucky that she was able to piggy back on Twilight at the perfect time, otherwise she would still be an obscure fanfic writer...where she belongs.

If this show was in more capable hands with a less problematic showrunner and a better writing team, it could honestly be so good. The potential is there but they don't utilize it. You get these tiny glimpses of what could be great, but that's all it ever is...tiny glimpses and nothing more. I will forever be salty about this show's existence because of how badly they've done it. They have the perfect source material right there!
Old 06-11-2020, 11:26 PM
Cardcaptor Queen

I'm not surprised to hear the showrunner has no experience at all. Like I said, the show is a damn mess and has no direction. Same for her starting 769885 storylines and not resolving any of them. You can tell she forgets most of the storylines she starts. I also agree that starting last year, M/A fans already showed they are a toxic fandom and they got even worse this year. Especially for the racist attacks on Heather/Maria and going to M/M or Maria clips and music videos to attack and talk crap (which I've seen so many times on past shows I watched when toxic fandoms are threatened by another couple) and the actors aren't much better when they won't even defend their cast mate from being racially attacked by wackos. Their too busy being two faced always being thirsty shoving M/A down people's throats on social media and acting like Maria doesn't exist but on the main, canon show it's a totally different story where they keep writing Michael to pursue and pick Maria over Alex again and again and that is who he is in a full fledged relationship with (not crumbs like they toss foaming M/A trolls) and they also continue to write where Michael was in love with Alex in the past but Maria is the person he loves now. That is actually the ONLY narrative they have written, Michael constantly choosing Maria over Alex. Like I said, they are the only good thing about the show and the only reason I watch the clips cause the rest of the show is a cluster. I think they have a different person writing the M/M scenes lol. I'm glad this crap is about to go off though, it's badly written and low rated. It doesn't deserve a third season but nowadays ANYTHING gets renewed. Especially on the CW, they just want a paycheck. They showed so many times they couldn't care less about the show.
Old 06-12-2020, 12:21 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I still have to catch up, watched a few episodes this week. Hopeful I'll binge the rest on the weekend... It's definitely it's own show, and in some ways, the original Roswell was a vastly better show. Better constructed.

But it has it's quality at times. Yeah, some scenes are WTF. Like when Maria, Michael and Alex go on her boot hunt. They find themselves in a very horror esque situation. And Max's quest back to life was very frankenstein.

I did like how Max and Liz did try to rebuild a connection in the wake of his return. I don't care for Rosa's storyline to this point of what I watched. So, I'll comment later on the rest. Rosa, sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. I know her mind is stuck ten years ago, and she's scared, messed up, and screwed up but I just can't handle it.

Next year is going to be very different. They have started out to put limits on what can be told due to the pandemic. Very limited or no hugging scenes, love scenes and no fight scenes. How can you have a show like Roswell New Mexico... and not have that...

RNM hope is it's unlikely to come back before next spring at the earliest, so they don't necessarily have to start shooting for awhile, so things might calm down.

Anyways, back to the show. It definitely has some compelling action. But the original version was more compelling. Of course this show is rooted in today, and anything goes today.
True love began to flourish among the challenges
October 6, 1999 began a incredible journey - Max and Liz forever!
Old 06-12-2020, 02:22 PM
Elite Fan

new thread guys!