Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2015, 11:57 AM
Master Fan

I remember Ava saying to Liz when she was out in the cold and Liz helped her out that Zan seemed like he was waiting for someone. And that's where I was like...ok so maybe Tess and Ava really werent meant for Zan or Max....i dont know. can they just do another show and explain all of this to us!

I'm Aubrey
Old 05-07-2015, 02:31 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I could buy into the whole Tess/Ava being switched thing. Because Ava really did seem like she would fit well with the Roswellians. But I still think it's unlikely.

Ultimately, Max and the others were half-human. And like other humans, they love and choose who they love. That's why Max and Liz's love story was so easy to root for. They were defying the odds (given Max's supposed destiny), but at the same time, they were falling in love just like any normal couple. Whether it was by chance or by fate or some combination of the two, it was just a very heartwarming thing.
ICON
Old 05-07-2015, 07:07 PM
Master Fan

Yeah M/L all the way! I just would like to know why they made Tess the bride, they could have made her into something else like another sister, but I guess it made it more interesting because they want to play with your heart and see if you much more believed in destiny or fate? if that makes sense...are they the same thing? oh gosh i just had to google destiny and fate...it's a little different....
Fate ‘“ the preordained course of your life that will occur because of or in spite of your actions.
Destiny ‘“ a set of predetermined events within your life that you take an active course in shaping.

I'm Aubrey
Old 05-07-2015, 07:57 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I feel like those are often used interchangeably in real life too, I think I've done it as well. I think I treat destiny more like fate, because I'm always carrying on about what the point of 'destiny' even is. Like, of course it's my destiny to eat this donut right now - because I just ate this donut right now. Therefore it was my destiny.
I think I think about it too hard

Also I'm half asleep right now and shouldn't be posting.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:52 AM
Master Fan

That's the word it used to describe it at first...interchangeably! I didn't know what THAT meant so I had to google that too! But yeah...so like it was destiny for him to be with Tess but his fate lead him to Liz...right? oh gosh can you use your donut scenario for this again?

I'm Aubrey
Old 05-08-2015, 06:30 AM
Fan Forum Hero

It's like...fate led me to go to the donut shop that day, but it was my destiny to choose one with sprinkles. Right?!

Old 05-08-2015, 07:15 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubie_ocean (View Post)
Yeah M/L all the way! I just would like to know why they made Tess the bride, they could have made her into something else like another sister, but I guess it made it more interesting because they want to play with your heart and see if you much more believed in destiny or fate? if that makes sense...are they the same thing? oh gosh i just had to google destiny and fate...it's a little different....
Fate ‘“ the preordained course of your life that will occur because of or in spite of your actions.
Destiny ‘“ a set of predetermined events within your life that you take an active course in shaping.
Because it was angsty. And she couldn't be a love interest if she was "another sister". And that role was Isabel's. And technically the idea wasn't far fetched. Given the love he had for Liz. He came to earth, found Liz and immediately started pining for her. She didn't know he existed (or she did, but it was classic thinking it wasn't in reach). So the shooting opened up a opportunity.

And they took it despite some bumps and bruises along the way. And because the shooting opening the Pandora box of Max's past. It made sense that there was someone out there that may have been Max's choice on his birth planet. And because he was now on Earth, it conflicted with his new life. Because they didn't know what they were in for or was out there...So he was discovering it all as they went which made it all the more tricky and painful.

The idea someone like Tess was out there. It was realistic. Which made it angsty for Liz as she had to deal with the realities of Max being alien and not from her world (despite his human DNA). And still he wanted her. But Liz was overwhelmed. And felt like it was too big of a divide and therefore it caused problems until they could overcome it.

It's the temptation. Just like Courtney and Billy were temptation for Maria and Michael. But because Tess's role in it was so much bigger because Max was "King". And because she was almost a outsider. The idea of trying to live up to the "destiny" proclamation was easier to handle than it would have been for Michael and Isabel who basically looked at each other like brother and sister.

In the end, it proved destiny is who you make it. And not what is forced upon you through heritage or obligation. Free will and love is important
True love began to flourish among the challenges
October 6, 1999 began a incredible journey - Max and Liz forever!
Old 05-08-2015, 08:27 AM
Master Fan

Yeah they needed temptation for Max to make it more interesting. And so true that it was a lot of a bigger deal because he is "king". And that is so true that because of his half human self he fell in love with Liz. It's just so interesting how they were able to portray this kind of love. So different from other shows for sure! It's not just a "simple" triangle...which is already difficult enough. But the triangle they created in this show is just amazing!

I'm Aubrey
Old 05-08-2015, 09:58 AM
Fan Forum Hero

That is the one thing about the show. It wasn't your standard soapy teen drama. There was so many out of this world serious adult matters they were dealing with despite being the ages 15/16 through 18/19. No wonder they all screwed up so much. It was hell for them to deal with the concept of other planets, true love, royalty and destiny, and brides at 16 from another planet when you just want to be with your true love.

They all had to make decisions. And not all of them were for a good cause.

For warts and all, that is why I love the show. We were lucky to have so many memorable characters. That live on almost 13 years after the series finale.
True love began to flourish among the challenges
October 6, 1999 began a incredible journey - Max and Liz forever!
Old 05-08-2015, 12:47 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Agreed with that. This show has flaws, a few lame episodes and questionable storylines, but above all else it had amazing characters, tone, writing (alot of the time) and really compelling stories that still stay with people today. There aren't many shows out there like that, especially not teen shows.

Anyone have any thoughts on this orb theory?

Here

Old 05-08-2015, 02:58 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Wait, what's the orb theory? Is that the correct link?
ICON
Old 05-08-2015, 07:34 PM
Master Fan

yeah i clicked on that link too and directed me to another thread...

I'm Aubrey
Old 05-08-2015, 09:18 PM
Fan Forum Hero

What on earth did I do there? Tricked you guys into going to the M&M thread

The correct link is here

Old 05-09-2015, 03:44 PM
Fan Forum Hero

This orb theory thing never even registered in my mind. But I'm not quite sure I understand it. What are they saying would have been the purpose of switching the orbs?
ICON
Old 05-09-2015, 04:04 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I guess literally only to discredit the mom-o-gram? I was hoping someone else understood better

Closed Thread   Post New Thread