Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2017, 07:35 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Never watched GG or Misfits but I remember fans being really pissed when Dan and Blair were broken up.

I forgot about loving Monica and Chandler before they got together on the show. I shouldn't have forgotten about them cause they're one of my favorite ships. But yea, my crack ship actually became canon.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:31 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

I think you'd like the first 3 seasons of misfits if you'd watch it, it's kind of a sci-fi comedy

I forgot about Monica & Chandler too! It never crossed my mind that they would get together, but when they did I loved them too!
Old 06-08-2017, 05:43 PM
Fan Forum Legend

there are so many shows out there that realistically I know I'll never get around to watching Misfits.

monica/chandler >>>>> ross/rachel
Old 06-09-2017, 05:21 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

I agree, I really don't like Ross & Rachel at all, I think that she should have ended up with Joey

Clearly I like to go against the conventional ships
Old 06-09-2017, 06:58 AM
Fan Forum Legend

UC ships are often better than conventional pairings because fans are in charge. There's no way writers can ruin UC pairings with their stupid story lines or will they won't they.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:03 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

I always wondered if it's because, in the writer's minds, the main ships are meant to be. They meet in the pilot & that's that, the rest can be a big speeches every couple of episodes with some occasional gratuitious romance in between. Then, because they don't think of the side ships as 'meant to be' or 'soulmates' or whatever, they actually end up writing them more realistically by mistake - which in my mind makes them better
Old 06-10-2017, 07:43 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I totally think writers meet for the first time and say to each other, this couple is THE couple and no matter what they will be endgame. I also think because Roswell was a book first and ML ended up together they felt like they could not deviate. So even when ML ending up together no longer made sense cause of the direction they took the story, they insisted on finding any way - no matter how ridiculous - to have them be the end couple.

Quote:
Then, because they don't think of the side ships as 'meant to be' or 'soulmates' or whatever, they actually end up writing them more realistically by mistake - which in my mind makes them better
yes, and because secondary couples are, well, secondary on their mind they put less effort into writing them and that means less opportunities to ruin them.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:05 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

I think that's the problem with deciding from the beginning who is going to be endgame, it boxes you in in a lot of ways & can really harm a lot of stories. I mean look at how much the writers had to destroy Tess, have Max completely regress & give Liz magical alien powers to get them to back together....it completely ruined the story.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:43 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
& give Liz magical alien powers to get them to back together....it completely ruined the story.
which really angered me as a Tess fan cause I was like no way can Liz Parker replace the alien queen.

it's like How I Met Your Mother. Never watched it myself, but fans were so pissed at the finale cause the writers wrote the ending during s2 or something but by the end of the show it didn't work anymore.
Old 06-11-2017, 02:00 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

I did watch HIMYM & actually had a feeling that was how it was going to end
Old 06-11-2017, 03:30 PM
Fan Forum Legend

so you were smart to prepare yourself.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:35 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

I just felt like there was a twist coming...Robin & Barney were a pretty awful couple imo, & Ted had never fully let go of her - plus, most people had figured out that the mother had passed away, ao I just knew that something was going to happen. But I was never a huge fan, I was more casual, which maybe made it easier to see the bigger picture, instead of people that were focused on certain characters & ships
Old 06-12-2017, 07:16 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Ships become such monsters when it comes to shows. Like it's all people care about and they're willing to sacrifice story or character development for the sake of ships.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:15 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

I agree, having strong romantic relationships on a show always opens up lots of material & the fans will go for it, but it can't be the driving force of the show - especially when you sacrifice so much else for it.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:50 PM
Fan Forum Legend

How do you feel about the will they, won't they ships which is the opposite of the ones that get together right away and stay together throughout the series?