Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2006, 12:33 AM
Absolute Fan

Maria Deluca/Majandra Delfino Appreciation Thread #5

Welcome to the 5th Maria Deluca/Majandra Delfino Appreciation Thread
- Beauty in motion-

Maria DeLuca is one of the most delightful characters on Roswell, for a variety of reasons. Maria brings some much-needed comic relief to the show, as her sarcastic humor and high-strung tendencies lighten up the often-somber mood of the show. Maria is a wonderfully loyal friend to Liz, and their friendship on the show is very touching and very true to life. Maria's mother Amy DeLuca (Diane Farr) is a hippie New Age person who had Maria when she was young, and Maria's father left them when Maria was a child. Liz is like a sister to her. Maria is very nervous and her excitable nature has only been increased by the revelation that three of her schoolmates are aliens. Maria also is kind and compassionate, as she demonstrated when she chose not to tell Sheriff Valenti the truth about Max, Michael, and Isabel or later when she helped the Skin girl Courtney when she was sick, even though she saw Courtney as a rival for Michael's affection.

A whole new dimension was added to Maria’s character, when she reluctantly fell in love with Michael Guerin, the other male alien on the show. Their road trip in "285 South" was a highlight of the first season. Michael and Maria’s constant bickering masks deep feelings for one another which they have acted on several times, most notably in the wordless but intensely passionate kissing scene at the opening of "Heat Wave." Their uncertain relationship creates both happiness and anguish for their characters. Both Maria and Michael seem afraid to admit the feelings they have for one another, and their tortured but passionate romance is intriguing. Michael loves Maria, but he would prefer things just to be on a physical and spiritual plane, without the conversations or conditions or conventions of a formal relationship. Maria loves Michael but wants him to act like a 'real boyfriend' and treat her nicer - like Max treats Liz - but these are skills that Michael is sorely lacking and he cannot be anybody but himself. Still, despite their ups and downs, Michael and Maria grow very close, playing 'detective' together investigating FBI enemies and helping their human and alien friends, and their bond grows very strong.

However, when Michael learns about his origins and his destiny and uses his powers to kill Agent Pierce, he becomes very frightened and pushes Maria away 'for her own good' - because he "loves her too much" and is afraid of hurting her. He also feels his duty to Max and to his alien people must come first.

In the second season, we find Maria and Max have become better friends over the summer, as Max pines for Liz and Maria misses her former closeness with Michael. But Maria is not one to give up that easily and she sticks with Michael waiting for him to weaken. However, Michael is strong in refusing to let her get close again - although he might have weakened a little over Christmas, on their trip to help Laurie Dupree in "Disturbing Behavior" and on a group road trip in "Viva Las Vegas" where he arranges for her to live out her dream of singing for an audience. Maria also was flattered by the attentions of new UFO Center owner, Brody Davis (Desmond Askew). The eccentric British UFO abductee really likes her and treats her well -- and compared to Michael, his eccentricities are not so bad. She finds out that Brody has a young daughter who doesn't live with him and, despite their age difference, Maria feels very close to Brody. Maria grows much stronger and calmer this season - she has just seen so much this year that nothing seems to bother her or surprise her any more. She can still be passionate about things, but is no longer so flighty or hysterical. Her mother has a budding romance with Sheriff Valenti. Her cousin Sean DeLuca (Devon Gummersall) shows up in town (after getting out of jail) and comes to stay with the DeLucas for awhile. Maria doesn't trust him and lays down the law with him, telling him to stay away from Liz and trying to keep Sean on the up and up. A fortuneteller does not predict long-term happiness for Maria and Michael - but Maria continues to wait for him, tries to push Max and Liz back together, and acts as the spirited 'glue' who holds everyone in Roswell together.

In just a few short years, Majandra (pronounced "Ma-han-dra") Delfino, born February 20, 1981 (Aquarius) has taken Hollywood by storm, with a starring role in "Roswell" and roles in three movies. The daughter of a Venezuelan father and Cuban-American mother, Majandra was born in Caracas, Venezuela, but moved with her family to Miami at age 3. (She was born Maria Alejandra, but her sister Marieh could not pronounce it and her name became Majandra instead.) Growing up, she excelled in academics, but gravitated towards the arts, enrolling in ballet, singing and acting lessons, and was soon performing in school plays and community theater productions. At age 10, she danced in "The Nutcracker" with the Miami Ballet. At age 11, Majandra joined an all-girls singing quartet named China Doll. The group, which included her best friend, Samantha Gibb, daughter of the Bee Gees' Maurice Gibb, specialized in Latin-styled pop. The group opened for the Bee Gees at a benefit concert at the Fountainbleu Hotel in Miami Beach. A few years later, Majandra and Samantha left the group but continued to write and record as a duo.

At age 15, her parents, dismayed with her acting aspirations, gave her a six-month deadline to pursue an acting role -- or fully concentrate on school. Within months, Majandra had secured an agent and won the role of Kathleen Quinlan's daughter in the film "Zeus & Roxanne." The following summer, she landed her first television series, playing Tony Danza's eldest daughter on "The Tony Danza Show." Before landing her role on "Roswell," she also appeared on a short-lived show "Katie Joplin." Adding to her big-screen credits, Majandra starred in the horror spoof, "I Know What You Screamed Last Summer" (aka "Shriek If You Know What I Did Last Friday the 13th"), as well as opposite Linda Hamilton in the coming-of-age drama "The Secret Lives of Girls." She also appeared in the independent film "The Learning Curve" and had a role in the Academy-Award nominated motion picture, "Traffic" starring Michael Douglas and directed by Steven Soderbergh. She is at work on a new film "Sticks and Stones."

Majandra lives in Los Angeles. Her mom, sister and her dogs - a standard poodle and a Pekinese - live there too. While continuing her acting, she has also returned to her first love of music and is currently in the recording studio writing and recording a CD of her music. She is currently dating the actor Devon Gummersall and has been for a few years. This fall we will see Majandra in a recurring role in ABC´s new comedy show "Help me, help you" starring Ted Danson. Majandra will also release her new album "Tarte" in september

Avies/Icons:

Click here for awsome avatars

Videos:
I'm real - Dreamer4ever (rightklick&save target as)
Miss independant - Dreamer4ever

Art of the thead:

Quotes on Majandra:

"She just hated me, and she readily admits it. I’ve asked her why, and she says, ‘I don’t know. There was just something about you I hated.’ And once I figured that out, I’d go out of my way to kiss her and hug her good morning and good night every day, just to tick her off. But she knew I was doing it because it bugged her, so she wouldn’t admit that it bugged her.” / Brendan Fehr

“We get along so well. I hang out with her more than anyone on the show. We hate to love each other, and we love to hate each other. She's very, very cool. At first I didn't want Michael to go through this, but I like the way they've gone about it.” / Brendan Fehr

When Majandra's friend and co-star Brendan Fehr unexpectedly showed up at her interview, we jumped at the chance to hear the inside scoop.
MXG: Describe Majandra.
BF: She's difficult and confrontational. She picks fights with me about everything,but we have fun fighting just as much as we do getting along.
MXG: Do you think you're a lot alike?
BF: We're both pretty stubborn, and we both think we're wiser beyond our years.
MXG: Tell us something she won't.
BF: She always has the director yelling at her to be quiet because she's always yapping.

1. somewhere87
2. Honey-girl
3. cyanide rose
4. Smokie
5. Star21
6. RhondaAnn
7. DaWsonSReaLJoEy
8. xmag
9. candygurl1718
10. Dreamer 4 Ever
11. Roswell 10/2/00
12. Shirley_

Wanna be added? Let the threadstarter or one of our MODS know

Rules of the thread:
1. This is an appreciation thread, so if you do not like the character or actor, then this is not the place for you.
2. No bashing!!!
3. Have fun!

Past Threads:
Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3
Thread #4

Last edited by somewhere87; 10-31-2006 at 01:13 PM
Old 10-06-2006, 12:47 AM
Absolute Fan

New thread guys

(MODS you can close the other one, somehow it became two new threads..)
Old 10-06-2006, 07:16 AM
Loyal Fan

Do you guys have any MP3s of Majandra's music and which ones?
'From day one, from the moment I kidnapped you and stole your car.....I knew you were the girl for me. I never wanted anyone else.....I still don't. Just... Wherever I'm goin', whatever I'm doin', just know I'll always love you.'
~ Michael Guerin to Maria Deluca in 'Graduation'
♥ Michael & Maria - because she was the only one he wanted to be with ♥
Old 10-06-2006, 08:02 AM
Absolute Fan

I had, but I know one on fanforum, who has them all. I can ask her to send them to me, then I can send to you
Old 10-06-2006, 08:09 AM
Loyal Fan

Oh Karin, that would be awesome, thank you. <3

I have a few from the old KC site and a few random songs but I'd like to have a few more for candy fans to download.
'From day one, from the moment I kidnapped you and stole your car.....I knew you were the girl for me. I never wanted anyone else.....I still don't. Just... Wherever I'm goin', whatever I'm doin', just know I'll always love you.'
~ Michael Guerin to Maria Deluca in 'Graduation'
♥ Michael & Maria - because she was the only one he wanted to be with ♥
Old 10-06-2006, 08:47 AM
Elite Fan

Thanks Karin
[Edward & Bella] [Rob & Kristen] [Tyler & Ally] [Max & Liz] [Nathan & Haley] [Sawyer & Kate]
Old 10-06-2006, 10:17 AM
Absolute Fan

u welcome guys

I know there is a website that have all the song perfomances Majandra did..
google for Majandra goodness of songs...
something like that
Old 10-06-2006, 10:24 AM
Fan Forum Star

wow i haven't been over to this thread in awhile hiiiiI!! new thread weee maria is love for life so ya

Villanelleღ

Kem (Tumblr)
Old 10-06-2006, 10:32 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Roswell

Love how you did the opening guys! You rock!

Anyone know if Maj will be on Help Me Help you next week?

Oh and that is awesome news about her music!

Hope all is well.

Love,
Erin
Roswell Board~Celebrating 300,000 posts of Silver Handprints, Alien Blasts, & Tabasco Sause "OMG your the girl I didn't puke on"~Stephenie Meyer to me in reference to meeting her at the 2008 San Diego Comic Con~8/1/08
4/18/11~ the day I brushed shoulders with Robert Pattinson!
Old 10-06-2006, 10:47 AM
Absolute Fan

Thanks Erin
She wont be on the next ep

I think her new album should be out any day now

hi Naturellebella
Old 10-06-2006, 11:17 AM
Elite Fan

So no MD and crazy Lucy in the next episode ? Too bad. It was really funny and her character is so insane ! I can't help remembering that part with the exotic fishes ! Damn, it's almost a classic scene.

- Michael and Maria belong together (Thania St John, writer)
Icon : ?
Old 10-06-2006, 11:33 AM
Absolute Fan

I have to rewatch it
Old 10-06-2006, 02:07 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmag (View Post)
So no MD and crazy Lucy in the next episode ? Too bad. It was really funny and her character is so insane ! I can't help remembering that part with the exotic fishes ! Damn, it's almost a classic scene.
Couldn't agree more xmag

IMO Majandra is the queen pixie of understated comedy, I really hope the producers make the most of her

Is it worth emailing the network to sing her praises a little and maybe ensure we see more of her

Only you can know what’s best for you – always...Majandra Delfino
Old 10-07-2006, 01:06 AM
Absolute Fan

Love how you thinking hon
Old 10-07-2006, 04:24 PM
Part-Time Fan

Why thank you

Well I left some 'Lucy love' on the abc feedback board I really hope that Majandra gets more air time in the coming episodes.

I think her cd 'Tarte' will be out next month, I for one am really looking forward to hearing her new material.

Just one request though, I wish the girl would go out a little more so we could see more pics of her

Only you can know what’s best for you – always...Majandra Delfino
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top