Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2017, 08:01 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Roswell

Oh yes got to love the Snapple! That became another character in it's self!
Roswell Board~Celebrating 300,000 posts of Silver Handprints, Alien Blasts, & Tabasco Sause "OMG your the girl I didn't puke on"~Stephenie Meyer to me in reference to meeting her at the 2008 San Diego Comic Con~8/1/08
4/18/11~ the day I brushed shoulders with Robert Pattinson!
Old 04-21-2017, 03:48 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Roswell
The 100

It seemed so random yet awesome

Old 04-21-2017, 07:19 PM
May We Meet

Moderator of ...
Bob Morley

Such product placement.

I'm one of those people who doesn't hate season three, even though I do think it's the weakest of the three. Michael is definitely my favorite part of season 3. He's so unbelievably human in that season.

BOB THE 100 ROSWELL
"I SEE YOU."
ICON BY ALEXA
Old 04-22-2017, 08:08 AM
Elite Fan

Long time, no see, everyone! Hope you're all okay

Any news on the Netflix show that Brendan and Majandra hope to do together? Has it still not been picked up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by April7739 (View Post)
I'm one of those people who doesn't hate season three, even though I do think it's the weakest of the three. Michael is definitely my favorite part of season 3. He's so unbelievably human in that season.
That's what I liked best about Season Three - it had a simplicity to it, with the three aliens finally adjusting to having a normal human life. By contrast, Maria and Liz were struggling with their lives more than ever.

The thing that bothered me a lot was that the writers suddenly tried to make us believe that Michael "didn't know the real Maria" in that stupid episode where they break up. That, to me, was almost like character assassination on her part. The use of that stupid ex-crush Billy to force her into "finding herself" (a concept that never works out well on any show, look at Joey on Dawson's Creek ) it just destroyed nearly every bit of trust and respect that had built up between Maria and Michael. That is what really sucks - Michael is NOT a character who easily trusts people, but he let Maria into his heart completely, as shown in the beautiful Season 2 finale, then one stupid plot point is used to break them up by having Maria BLAME him for holding her back in life. Such utter nonsense.

Lucas ♥ Brooke | Chuck ♥ Blair | Han ♥ Leia | Carter ♥ Serena | Sawyer ♥ Kate
Vaughn ♥ Sydney | Cesare ♥ Lucrezia | Logan ♥ Veronica | Michael ♥ Maria | Spike ♥ Buffy
Old 04-22-2017, 12:55 PM
May We Meet

Moderator of ...
Bob Morley

Season 3 Maria is not my favorite Maria, though I've really come to re-evaluate my whole opinion on that storyline as I've grown older. I wish that, in those first eight episodes, less time had been spent on Isabel/Jesse and more time had been spent on Michael and Maria, particularly Maria. Because I do see something worthwhile in that storyline, but the fact that they basically only spent one episode developing it presents a real pacing problem. While I definitely wouldn't call it character assassination, I do see how it can come across as ineffective storytelling. Gotta say, I blame the writers for that, as I feel that Majandra's performance in "Behind the Music" is some of her best, most mature and relatable work on the show.

BOB THE 100 ROSWELL
"I SEE YOU."
ICON BY ALEXA
Old 04-23-2017, 01:16 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Season 3 Maria is not my favorite Maria, though I've really come to re-evaluate my whole opinion on that storyline as I've grown older. I wish that, in those first eight episodes, less time had been spent on Isabel/Jesse and more time had been spent on Michael and Maria, particularly Maria. Because I do see something worthwhile in that storyline, but the fact that they basically only spent one episode developing it presents a real pacing problem. While I definitely wouldn't call it character assassination, I do see how it can come across as ineffective storytelling. Gotta say, I blame the writers for that, as I feel that Majandra's performance in "Behind the Music" is some of her best, most mature and relatable work on the show.

I definitely agree that only spending one episode on it definitely lessened how believable it was that Maria would have an epiphany like that

However, the whole storyline just felt like a nod to Majandra wanting to bring in her musical talent, to give Maria something else outside of the supernatural drama. The timing didn't make sense. It was already made clear that Alex's death changed the gang's perspective on how they were going to live their lives, and that included Maria CHOOSING to have sex with Michael, and being ecstatic that the number one reason he stayed on earth was for her.

The sad thing about Behind The Music, even though it's a fair evaluation on how a person's wants and needs can change so quickly, is that it undoes all of the meaning behind Michael and Maria's growth as a couple in Season 2. A lot of time was devoted to developing them both as people and with each other in that season, and Season 3 does the complete opposite, just for Maria to have a personal moment of crisis... Which all proves pointless anyway, in the Graduation episode, where she does indeed CHOOSE Michael and this whole life with the aliens.

Vaughn ♥ Sydney | Cesare ♥ Lucrezia | Logan ♥ Veronica | Michael ♥ Maria | Spike ♥ Buffy
Old 04-23-2017, 10:25 PM
May We Meet

Moderator of ...
Bob Morley

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4brathan&brucas (View Post)
I definitely agree that only spending one episode on it definitely lessened how believable it was that Maria would have an epiphany like that
Honestly, if Jesse hadnt been added to the show, then so much of the screen time that was directed towards him and Isabel could have been directed elsewhere. Like to Maria/Michael and Max/Liz. Yeah, there are plenty of Max Liz pacing problems in those early episodes, too.

Quote:
The sad thing about Behind The Music, even though it's a fair evaluation on how a person's wants and needs can change so quickly, is that it undoes all of the meaning behind Michael and Maria's growth as a couple in Season 2.
Here's where I have to disagree. In no way, shape, or form does Michael and Maria's season three breakup undo anything that they experienced, developed, or created with each other in season two. Season two is a beautiful season for them, no doubt. They gain this sense of trust and maturity with each other that culminates with him staying on earth for her. Nothing will ever change that. Whether they remain together or drift apart and find their way back together, as they're bound to do, nothing can undo the relationship they already have, not to me.

Quote:
A lot of time was devoted to developing them both as people and with each other in that season, and Season 3 does the complete opposite, just for Maria to have a personal moment of crisis... Which all proves pointless anyway, in the Graduation episode, where she does indeed CHOOSE Michael and this whole life with the aliens.
But isn't this the point? Maria feels tied down and hindered because of the whole alien coverup. And that's not Michael's fault. He didn't have any more control over her involvement in it than she did. But in the end, it's not out of obligation that she goes with Michael and the others. It's truly her choice. She chooses him.

BOB THE 100 ROSWELL
"I SEE YOU."
ICON BY ALEXA
Old 04-24-2017, 11:38 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Roswell

Yes season 3 had it's moments but in the end I am glad the Candies got a happy ending!
Roswell Board~Celebrating 300,000 posts of Silver Handprints, Alien Blasts, & Tabasco Sause "OMG your the girl I didn't puke on"~Stephenie Meyer to me in reference to meeting her at the 2008 San Diego Comic Con~8/1/08
Old 04-25-2017, 02:41 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Honestly, if Jesse hadnt been added to the show, then so much of the screen time that was directed towards him and Isabel could have been directed elsewhere. Like to Maria/Michael and Max/Liz. Yeah, there are plenty of Max Liz pacing problems in those early episodes, too.
I have nothing against Jesse and I have a lot of respect for the way they developed his character from a straight-edged lawyer / law-abiding citizen to loving Isabel so much that he facilitated their escape in the series finale. However, I was disappointed with the lack of focus on other main characters who weren't Isabel in the early episodes of S3. Max spent most of his time pining for Liz (AGAIN) and as much as I loved the M/M dynamic when Michael found work & other friends, there wasn't enough time spent on it. The snapple episode was so much fun and surprisingly warm-hearted but it was over in a flash. I was left wanting more. The whole season felt that way.

Quote:
Here's where I have to disagree. In no way, shape, or form does Michael and Maria's season three breakup undo anything that they experienced, developed, or created with each other in season two. Season two is a beautiful season for them, no doubt. They gain this sense of trust and maturity with each other that culminates with him staying on earth for her. Nothing will ever change that. Whether they remain together or drift apart and find their way back together, as they're bound to do, nothing can undo the relationship they already have, not to me.

I'm not saying that Season 3 destroyed Michael/Maria to the point of no return, but look at that episode where she's invited to New York for her singing career. She seeks out Michael, has sex with him, then doesn't respect his advice when he tries to warn her about the dangers of travelling without knowing more about the music industry. She became very self-centered and put Michael's concern down to jealousy. I didn't appreciate that at all.

Quote:
But isn't this the point? Maria feels tied down and hindered because of the whole alien coverup. And that's not Michael's fault. He didn't have any more control over her involvement in it than she did. But in the end, it's not out of obligation that she goes with Michael and the others. It's truly her choice. She chooses him.

But even Liz points it out in the finale - Maria can't make up her mind about anything. One minute she wants out of the alien drama, the next minute she wants in. Maria wanted it both ways and kept sending Michael mixed messages about their future together. Sometimes you couldn't even tell if they were still together or not. Like when Michael turns bad and yells at her for not loving him enough - she's all defensive, even though he has a good point. And the part where they visited a tarot reader about their future... Where did that come from, on Maria's part? Her entire character motivations in Season 3 were unclear, and I put that down to poorly constructed writing.

Old 04-26-2017, 11:58 AM
Elite Fan

Ah, season 3. The season that made no sense, to me. I mean, not just Isabel-Jesse, Bonnie & Clyde, the singing Wonder and well, M&M... Roswell, fatigue, I'm telling you. Maybe the intentions were good but it wasn't well executed.

- Michael and Maria belong together (Thania St John, writer)
Icon : ?
Old 04-26-2017, 01:16 PM
Elite Fan

Good ole season 3.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:20 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Roswell
The 100

The good thing about season 3, is that it's always good for conversation!

Old 04-27-2017, 08:13 AM
Elite Fan

That much is definitely true
Old 04-28-2017, 08:59 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Roswell

Thats true and their is always snapple to talk about!
Old 04-28-2017, 11:53 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmag (View Post)
Ah, season 3. The season that made no sense, to me. I mean, not just Isabel-Jesse, Bonnie & Clyde, the singing Wonder and well, M&M... Roswell, fatigue, I'm telling you. Maybe the intentions were good but it wasn't well executed.
That's pretty much what I think, too

I can see what they were trying to achieve, but the writing was sloppy and character motivations were unclear. I feel like they rushed to fix Michael and Maria by the end, but luckily, the writing for them in the series finale was so on-point by Katims that it's not really worth complaining about. Michael's whole goodbye speech to Maria on the motorbike was heartfelt and beautiful.

ETA ~ I will say that my favorite thing about Season 3 was the growing friendship between Liz and Maria. The episode where Maria looked after Liz when they thought Max had died, just showed their natural chemistry and that they dearly love each other.

Last edited by 4brathan&brucas; 04-28-2017 at 01:16 PM
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top