Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Roswell

Even after 10 years We Still Believe! Roswell Celebrating 10 Out Of This World Years 1999-2009

"September 23rd. Journal entry one. I'm Liz Parker, and five days ago, I died. After that, things got really weird..."

And so were the words spoken on that fateful day October 6,1999 that would change our lives forever. Roswell aired on October 6,1999 and touched our lives in so many ways that we were never the same.

In honor of the 10 Year Anniversary of Roswell we opened up this thread for you the fans who have keeped this shows spirit and fandom alive and well. Roswell may be gone but it will never be forgotten. We will forever will be Roswellians at heart!

We are starting the celebration early in September being September is when the series starts with Liz getting shot and the truth to the 1947 rumor is revealed.

Ways to celebrate the 10 Year Anniversary of Roswell

Share Stories:

How did you get into Roswell? Why was it special to you and why after 10 years are you still in love with Roswell?

attended a Roswell related event (Bowl A Thon, Crashdown Party, Scifi Convention, Went to Covina, CA and went on the Roswell Tour, have you met the cast?)

If you attended any of these events or have any cast encounters please share your stories and post your photos or videos.

Mention the Roswell 10 year celebration in your sig or your Avi icon

Fan Art and Icons:
Make Roswell 10 year Fan Art or icons showing your love for your show after 10 years!

Videos:
Make Roswell Videos celebrating the 10 Year Anniversary!

Post Card Campaign

Roswell 10 year post card campaign thanking the WB aka now the CW, the sci fi network, as well as FOX for all of their support for Roswell for the last 10 years and show them we still have a very strong fan base. Heck us Roswellians could even send in the good old Tabasco if they wanted.

The post cards and banner could say:

Even after 10 year we still believe in Roswell! Thank you!
Roswell celebrating 10 out of this world years 1999-2009

Roswell changed how fans react and interact to a show and our show has so much cult history that needs to be celebrated and remembered! Does the Tabasco Sauce Campaign ring a bell.

This would be a respectful fun loving positive campaign and a thank you from all the Roswell fans.

Send the post cards to:

Dawn Ostroff
President of Entertainment
The CW Network
411 North Hollywood Way
Burbank, California 91505

Warner Bros. Television
4000 Warner Blvd.
Bldg 140, Rm 115
Burbank, CA 91522

SciFi Channel
30 Rockefeller Plaza
New York, NY 10112

20TH HOME VIDEO:
Website address: FoxStore.com
E-mail Address: foxmovies@fox.com

Paper Mail Address:
20TH CENTURY FOX HOME VIDEO
P.O. BOX 900
BEVERLY HILLS, CA 90213-0900

20TH CENTURY FOX (Theatricals):
Website Address: Fox Movies
E-mail Address: foxmovies@fox.com

Paper Mail Address:
20TH CENTURY FOX THEATRICALS
P.O. BOX 900
BEVERLY HILLS, CA 90213-0900

Also our fandom has done so much for charities that we need to be remembered for all of the great and wonderful things the fandom has done over the past 10 years!

I think it would be cool if we made a donation to Families of SMA being we raised over 80,000 dollars with the Zeke Lerner Bowl-A-Thon an event that was created by the fans of Roswell who wanted to help Garrett Lerner and his family and helped raise over 80,000 dollars if not more for this wonderful cause.

We could even put in a nice letter saying We still believe in Miracles thank you for touching our lives and enriching our hearts love the fans of Roswell.

To make a donation to the Families of SMA Foundation

Families of SMA
P. O. Box 196
Libertyville, IL 60048-0196

Families of Spinal Muscular Atrophy - Home

October 6th Roswell Pilot Day

October 6 will be our special day where we go all out in celebration of the Pilot! People on the boards can watch the Pilot.

If you and your fellow Roswellians want have viewing parties share your photos and videos from the event! This will be a cool and fun way of remembering and celebrating such an important day in Roswell History.

I think we could have a lot of fun and a blast with our Remembering Roswell after 10 years board!

So enjoy and let the invasion or rather the celebration begin and lets celebrate the show that changed all of our lives and made us believe that anything is possible.

Love your Mods,

Erin aka Roswell 10/2/00 and Jennifer aka Dreamer4ever

"It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life."
Roswell Board~Celebrating 300,000 posts of Silver Handprints, Alien Blasts, & Tabasco Sause "OMG your the girl I didn't puke on"~Stephenie Meyer to me in reference to meeting her at the 2008 San Diego Comic Con~8/1/08
4/18/11~ the day I brushed shoulders with Robert Pattinson!
Roswell 10/2/00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:02 AM
Fan Forum Star

Man, a whole decade has come and gone! Where did all that time go? I feel like Roswell was on the air just yesterday.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:59 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Roswell

I know it is crazy it doesn't feel like 10 years have gone by at all!
Roswell Board~Celebrating 300,000 posts of Silver Handprints, Alien Blasts, & Tabasco Sause "OMG your the girl I didn't puke on"~Stephenie Meyer to me in reference to meeting her at the 2008 San Diego Comic Con~8/1/08
Old 09-02-2009, 07:29 AM
Fan Forum Hero

This is such a great thread! I can't believe a decade has gone by, and I love this show more than ever.

How did you get into Roswell? Why was it special to you and why after 10 years are you still in love with Roswell?

I got into Roswell when I was pretty young. I believe I was in the seventh grade.

When I first saw the promos, I thought it looked "scary." I remember telling my mom I didn't want to watch it, and she agreed. She was like, "I know, I know, it looks really creepy. We aren't watching that." Stupid us. I didn't actually get into it when the first season was airing. I was watching something else. When it was airing re-runs during the summer, I happened to catch 1x03 "Monsters." I thought, Hey, this is pretty interesting. The next episode I caught in re-runs was 285 South. Thank God. Thank God. This is still my favorite episode of all time, and I feel that this is what really drew me to the show. It's probably no coincidence that I'm such a huge Candy fan. My first exposures to the show were very sweet and spicy!

I saw River Dog next, and absolutely loved Michael and Maria's spontaneous first kiss. I had never felt so passionately about a television couple before!

I also remember reading the description for "Heatwave" in the TV Guide. It said something about "Michael and Maria heat things up" and "Liz's infatuation for Max intensifies." That was all I needed to hear. I circled that TV Guide entry, highlighted it, did everything I could to remind myself that I needed to tape that episode. I'm not quite sure why I taped it. I'd only seen a handful of episodes up until that point, and I'd never seen Heatwave. Once I watched Heatwave, though, (with my mom, I might add), I was stunned. I was young, granted, but I was still old enough to appreciate a good make-out scene. And that episode was full of good make-out scenes. I thought the opening sequence with Michael and Maria in the Crashdown was a dream at first, and I looked over at my mom as the opening credits came on, and she was literally fanning herself. She was like, "I don't know if I should be letting you watch this."

From there on out, I taped every episode that I saw on TV. When Roswell moved to UPN, I panicked because I didn't get UPN and my town's cable company didn't offer UPN to anyone. So I didn't know how I was going to watch it. (This was in that strange time before television online, you know.) So one of my mother's co-workers taped every episode for me because she got UPN. Every single episode of season 3. I still owe her a lot for that. That was very generous of her.

I think Roswell became and still remains my favorite show in part because it was something that I shared with my friends. I remember waking up the morning after Heatwave aired and watching that episode twice in a row. Then my friend Katie came over and said she wanted me to go to a Bible study group. She saw the make-out scenes I was watching and immediately forgot about Bible study. She sat down and got sucked into the show immediately. She ended up liking Isabel and Alex the most. She in turn got her little sister hooked on it.

Katie and I ended up showing Roswell to our friends Jacquie and Leslie, and they absolutely fell in love with it, too! Jacquie liked Max and Liz, and Leslie pretty much liked everyone. We had all been close friends before this. We were the popular girls in school, but the nice kind of popular, not the mean kind of popular. We were, like, the Core Four. (If you're reading my fic right now, you get this reference!) Anyway, our love for Roswell ended up bringing us all closer. We were so united as a group of friends because we just couldn't get enough of this show!

Like most adolescent girls, we each got to "be" one of the characters. Oh, this was so fun. I got to be Maria, of course. Katie got to be Isabel, and Jacquie got to be Liz. And that left Tess for Leslie. Which was okay with her, because she liked Tess (as did I). The boys we had crushes on of course got to "be" the guys. Funny story: The guy that I'm currently engaged to is the guy that got to "be" Michael.

Roswell really had a large role in our lives. We would have viewing sleepovers at my house, and we would flaunt our Roswell love to all our fellow classmates. We made shirts and decorated our lockers in support of the show. We purchased all the books and read those. We had long, drawn-out discussions about the most recent episode over lunch. One of my favorite things that we did is that we would sneak out of class during Season 3 to run to the payphone. We'd put the money in and call my mom at work, who would then tell us if Mary had been able to tape the episode on UPN. And we always danced and squealed and jumped around when we found out she had.

One of my favorite things we ever did with Roswell was show an episode during an eighth grade English class. My teacher, Mr. K, was like, "Well, gosh, you girls have talked about this show non-stop. I think it's time we all see it. Do you have an episode with you?" Well, I just happened to have an episode in my locker. It was, of course, Heatwave. So . . . yeah, as an eighth grade English class, we watched the sexiest episode of Roswell, one of the sexiest episodes of television ever. It was a little awkward, but soon, my entire class was addicted to Roswell. They would watch it when it aired and call me and Katie and Jacquie and Leslie about it. Even the teacher liked the show and wanted to see more.

Oh, and I can't forget how we dressed up as the Roswell characters when we went trick-or-treating for Haloween the last time in the eighth grade. Jacquie and I dressed up homemade Crashdown outfits (to be Maria and Liz), and Katie wore Isabel's silver alien costume from the Pilot, and Leslie . . . well, I think Leslie just crimped her hair a little bit, flirted with all the boys, and called herself Tess.

When the show got cancelled, we were, of course, devastated. We mounted a massive school-wide campaign to get it saved. To this day, if someone mentions Roswell to one of us, though, we'll smile and start raving about it. We all still love it. Sadly, we're not really friends anymore. Leslie and I lived together during my freshman year of college, but I haven't really kept touch with anyone else. Jacquie moved, and Katie and I had a falling out, though we did manage to patch things up again. Still, some of the best times of my life were shared with them during our Roswell days.

I don't know about any of you, but when Roswell ended . . . I didn't really feel as though it were ending for me. I remember watching the final episode (and being disappointed that M+M didn't have a full-on kiss), but nothing about it seemed final to me. For some reason, I knew that it would live on. I had already discovered the world of fanfic by then and was trying my hand at some of my own writing. I had a feeling that the Roswell fans were a loyal and passionate group and that, even though we might lose some over the years, the vast majority of us would always be Roswellians at heart.

I'm not quite sure what it is about this show that allured me so much, besides M+M. The storylines often weren't the absolute best in television. The characterization, however, was in my opinion top-notch. (Except for Tess, who the writers unfortunately subjected to character assassination.) These characters always felt real to me. Kudos to the writers and the actors for that. This is probably why I love Roswell fanfic so much. The Roswell characters are so dynamic that you can do so many things with them. To this day, I don't read or write fanfic for any other fandom. This show has touched me creativily in a way that no other show has, in a way that no other show will.

Lastly, I want to mention that I gave the salutatorian speech at my high school graduation. In my speech, I mentioned Roswell. The whole theme of my speech was feeling like an alien in high school and feeling like an alien even after high school. I talked about not feeling normal and how it's okay to not feel normal. Because, seriously, "what's so great about normal?" Needless to say, that speech was a big hit.

-April
ICON
April7739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:44 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystaline (View Post)
Man, a whole decade has come and gone! Where did all that time go? I feel like Roswell was on the air just yesterday.
so true 10 years! unbelievable!
*Coccy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Elite Fan

It's incredible how much time has gone by. But yet the love for Roswell has not diminished. In fact, I think it's stronger than ever.

Since it seems appropriate to reminisce on this thread, I will say that I wish I could remember my original viewings of Roswell more vividly. I think my brain has gone to mush in the last decade

I was in college when Roswell premiered (actually, that should explain my diminished memory) I knew I was going to be obsessed with the show just by seeing the promos. I mean hot teenagers + aliens. Seriously, what's not to love about that premise? Naturally, once I saw the pilot, my love of the show was solidified. I had about 5 roommates at the time, and we had one very teeny-tiny TV. Thankfully, none of them were big TV addicts, because I was a total TV hog-- particularly when it came to Buffy and Roswell. I actually used to plan my class schedule accordingly, so that I would never have a class that would interfere with those shows. (My school had a lot of evening classes).

My love affair with Roswell continued for the next three years. Although, I admit, it got a little rocky during season 3 But I was, of course, sad to see it go away permanently. Thankfully the end was satisfying --I got to see Max & Liz get married in the end. Unfortunately for me, I wasn't really part of the Roswell-internet fan culture back then. This is only a recent development for me. But, I am so glad I found this place because being a solitary fan is not nearly as fun as being a part of something bigger. Gee, it only took me a decade to become a part of that, huh? Well, at least I am here now-- just in time to celebrate.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah - wow, 10 ten years already. This was actually my very first board I came to post on and I joined FF because of this board back in the day while the show still aired.

Brenda❤Dylan Fan ~ You’ll look back years from now, and I’ll just be another girl you knew in high school. DYLAN: No you won’t. No you won’t, Bren. Not after everything.
GrhmLz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:52 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I was the early part of my twenties when Roswell first aired. I wasn't sure I wanted to watch it. Seemed different and I wasn't sure it was my kind of thing. Because usually I don't go for the science fi/paranormal type of shows. I got turned off Charmed and even Buffy after several seasons - when those shows got too extreme in my view.

So I didn't watch. Although I think I saw a quick slice of the pilot when it aired because it was Canadian Thanksgiving that night. And I was at my uncle's and the channel was briefly turned. But quickly moved on to something else...

But a month or so later; I was visiting my father in another province when I happened to a episode on Roswell. I believe it was when Liz busted Topolsky or was close. I think it might have been "Blood Brother's". But I went home and didn't watch. But a few months later. I believe it was "The Convention", I started watching casually. I wouldn't say I was hooked. But it was sneaking up on me; especially with "Blind Date" and "Independance Day" being so good.

And then "Sexual Healing" aired and I was hooked. And hooked on Max and Liz. And then over the summer; I found the web site "Crashdown". And got hooked on Roswell fan fiction. And I knew I was a goner LOL.

And further more when I was able to watch the episodes I missed in repeats...

And from then I was watching, and loving the show. I didn't know of this fan board. So it was a few years after the show wrapped up that I found this place. Around the time the DVDs were starting to come out... Although I didn't start participating for awhile. I lurked LOL.

Roswell snuck into my life. I didn't know I could love a primetime show show like Roswell. I had keep my shipping obsession to daytime soap opera's. It stayed with me because of the characters. Not only Max and Liz. But everyone. Although some characters like Isabel and Kyle took time for me to appreciate. But still, it was different from any other teenage soap opera on the air.

The kids were really outsiders. Even Liz, Maria, Alex and even Kyle as they came into the complexities of the alien dynamic. They were all teenagers and they made rooting for them so real. And their mistakes infuriating. And made the suspense all the more exciting. I cried when Alex died. It was such a special show.

The show took a interesting concept. The 1947 crash and made it relatable to the late 1900's and early 2000's. I often find myself watching the DVDs. And loving the show even more. Even when I want to curse some of the subplots.

I never visited the sets or went to fan events.

And despite the fact that the show struggled for the three years. I appreciated that they did try to give a happy ending. I got to see Max and Liz get married. Michael and Maria come closer to each other again. And Kyle getting further into the group as a friend.

I makes me wish what might happened. Wanting to know. That is a rarity for me and a primetime television series that only lasted a short-time. But I constantly wonder what happened to the group. Did Michael and Maria get married? Did Kyle and Isabel get together? Did Max and Liz have children? Did they ever get back to Roswell to be able to settle down? Did the parents get to see their children again?

Roswell was a one in a million show. And I can't believe that it will be celebrating 10 years. It just seems like yesterday the show signed off.
True love began to flourish among the challenges
October 6, 1999 began a incredible journey - Max and Liz forever!
Jasper1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:19 PM
Fan Forum Hero

For me, lol, I've totally always been into the scifi/paranormal element of shows. So what got me hooked into Roswell? My sister pushed me to watch and also the storyline concept for Max and Liz in season one hooked me. I was still young - going on twenty one at the time; however, I was still very much a romantic at heart and I loved the idea of mixing the alien theme with a love story shared between two characters who closely resembled "soulmates." My sister and I actually found this fandom through the "Crashdown" site which we regularly frequented for spoilers and the like, lol.

In addition to the romance story - I'm very big on the mystery suspense element that season one Roswell also brought to the screen. Roswell came across very "X-files meets the most romantic couple I've ever encountered in television history" like, LOL. Of course, as the series progressed - there are alot of elements I don't like at all and can be downright critical of; however, the essence of the show and what it use to be still lives on in my memory (and on my DVDs hehe). It was the first show I was so downright passionate about and I can still remember the days spent here praising, debating storyline CHADS, and venting with tears of frustration through my eyes out on this show as a whole. It was all part of the Roswell experience.

Seriously, Roswell may not have had more than three seasons - a shorter life compared to many other shows; however, it carries a flame on a torch that will never burn out. I also may not have been able to see everything turn out the way I wanted/expected but the show will always hold my heart just for the simple fact that it launched so many possible directions for the fans to take their minds into. And now - we have a wonderful realm of Roswell fanfiction out there. I live by it now and that wouldn't have been possible without the show.

Brenda❤Dylan Fan ~ You’ll look back years from now, and I’ll just be another girl you knew in high school. DYLAN: No you won’t. No you won’t, Bren. Not after everything.
GrhmLz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:28 AM
Fan Forum Star

Wonderfully said, guys!

I don't even know where to begin! Lol. I'd been watching from the very beginning and was hooked within the first 5 minutes of the Pilot. I think everybody knows that Max/Liz is my OTP. I adored them then and I still do now. But to be honest, everything and everyone in S1 was so refreshing and compelling to watch. I suppose that's why it's still my favorite season. However, even with S2 and S3 going in directions I didn't agree with, I never missed an episode. My week would be incomplete! And through the show, I've met and befriended so many great people. And when we meet up, our conversations always somehow end up on Roswell or which Max/Liz fanfiction stories we're reading at the moment. Lol!

To sum it all up, I can honestly say Roswell changed my life. My love for this show is truly insurmountable and as far as I can see it won't be going away any time soon. It's a decade later and we're all still here! Just goes to show how deeply it resonated with us.

So cheers to our little show! It had an all too short run, but it left us with memories and moments so grand it'll live on for another 10 years!
Old 09-03-2009, 03:43 AM
Addicted Fan

All these stories/memories are remarkable guys . 10 years, congrats Roswell, its been one heck of a decade.

Honestly I started watching the show through my sister. She was in the 8th grade and I was in the 3rd. I didn't pay much attention to the show back then, mere glimpses seemed to be enough while I changed the channel to watch digimon. But 3 years ago, when I was in the 8th grade I started reminiscing the 90's. The retro years, I remembered Liz's face and that was it a little youtube and I found my show once more. I watched so many fan videos haha I finally after two/three weeks bought the first season. Nostalgia had never hit me as hard as it did when I popped in pilot, the show lived for three seasons. Three. I look at shows now a days and see they're lasting 5/6 seasons . Roswell lasted 3 seasons and our fan base has never been larger.

It's special to me because well, it reminds me of the 90's and because it was just so, real and true. Ithad just the rightamount of everything. Soon enough I found out one of my best friends read the books and had never seen the show, I quickly got her hooked too because that's the type of show it is, the simplicity of it all warms its way into your heart.

Why I'm still obsessed with it? The better question is why not? The couples are, they just fit. The heartbreaks, the unexpected turns, the complicated yet deep storylnes are enough to keep anyone hooked. And really hearing Liz say those lines in the show "5 days ago I died" I couldn't not love it. Roswell is the Friends of the science fiction, a classic .
If you ever really wanna get lost, then follow me
zfehrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:30 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Roswell

I am loving everyone's accounts they are wonderful and from the heart!

E News 1999 Roswell Cast video talking about the series back in the day!

YouTube - Roswell Videos// E! Online Special - 1999
Old 09-03-2009, 09:55 PM
Fan Forum Hero

God, that brings me back!
ICON
April7739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:13 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Roswell

This brings me back as well!

YouTube - Roswell Promo 8 - Don´t Say Anything (I)

Please go on with sharing your stories and photos about our love for Roswell!

Don't forget to make icons, fan arts, and videos to celebrate the 10 year anniversary.

Also please make fan art for the Roswell 10 year post card campaign so we can start mailng those out!

Lets make it a celebration to remember!

Last edited by Roswell 10/2/00; 09-03-2009 at 10:19 PM
Old 09-03-2009, 10:16 PM
Elite Fan

That definitely brings me back.

Loving all the Roswell love.