Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2017, 07:40 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Shiri Appleby

awww great pic

Yesss, everyone who wants to participate in the celebration can PM me.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:46 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by azure angel (View Post)
The fact we never saw Max and Liz talk about that is a joke.
I think they wanted to move on, yet have the debacle and the consequences that came from it felt during Season 3. It was a hard conversation to be had. Neither looked good in it. And I am not sure they wanted to have the big discussion because just like they didn't talk about what happened with Tess, the baby and have it feed the resentment. It was a added symptom for Liz's ultimate explosion.

Liz needed to still be angry over Tess, and the baby. And she would have to admit she is the one who started it. By going along with Future Max. Which made Max a free agent, allowed to do whatever he wanted if she pushed him away and continued to refuse to reunite with him.

Of course Liz had a good cause to go along with Future Max. For Max's sake. But still, she played with all of their lives and started them on a track that led to death and major betrayal... and consequences because she believed Future Max. I don't fault her for doing it because if she could prevent it. She knew Max could never have live with losing Michael and Isabel. As much as he loves Liz; they were his family.

So by having the conversation.... both would look bad. And they needed Liz to feed the anger and resentment over Tess and Max's actions...

And also with a new network, they had a limited budget I am sure so that is why we didn't see as much paranormal. But still, they could have had the conversation. But it was a very hard one to have.

And they only had so much time to dwell on Season 2 fallout.
True love began to flourish among the challenges
October 6, 1999 began a incredible journey - Max and Liz forever!
Old 09-08-2017, 02:23 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Shiri Appleby

Welcome back, Jasper

I think that was the problem ... there was no way to move on without talking about it..
Old 09-08-2017, 05:49 PM
Elite Fan

@Jasper1975

To this day I can not believe the only thing we got was that talk in busted and that absolutely does not count.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:47 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranto (View Post)
@Jasper1975

To this day I can not believe the only thing we got was that talk in busted and that absolutely does not count.
It was at least something. Yeah, it didn't go far enough and I do think Liz's rant during the diamond heist as a diversion...was true feelings being unleashed as part of her character. She later recognizes that they were broken up, and things were very complicated. I can see why they didn't want to talk about it. And wanted to run back to each other, and ignore it. Or only deal with the surface.

Future Max was over. Liz did it, the timeline was changed. And the consequences had to be felt. Neither looked good in it. You can talk about it, sure, and we should have seen it. But it was a difficult conversation. So they ran back to each other, and tried to move on and found that they still had a lot to deal with, before they could truly move on.

They wanted something easy to explain it in "Busted". And some of what Max said was true. But it was a whole lot more complicated.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:05 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Roswell

You never know what happened over the summer. We didn't see a lot of their talks just baby drama.

However from what we saw from the Busted Flashbacks we did see them trying to rebuild and regain some trust.

I personally thought the semi skinny dipping scene was a little too much. (maybe later on in the season) It was way to early for them to be doing that. I could understand how with a new network they wanted something shocking. I remember my freinds were shoked to see it happen. It felt so out of character.

Later on in the season yes but not right away. The Rebel with out a case thing was too much too soon but they wanted something shocking with the new network to get new fans and to draw people in so I get it.

I feel if season 3 started with them going slow then having Changes and the Liz rant in the beginning it would of made more sense.

Busted to me could of been a great mid season cliff hanger. Then as the season went on slowly show them building the friendship and love back. Have them bond over the search for Max's son and them rebuilding their relationship.

Then chant Down Babalion could of been a great way to show that they came full circle and that they were going to be ok.

Later in the season could of been Isabel's wedding with the Kivar drama, 4 Aliens and a Baby, and then Graduation.
Roswell Board~Celebrating 300,000 posts of Silver Handprints, Alien Blasts, & Tabasco Sause "OMG your the girl I didn't puke on"~Stephenie Meyer to me in reference to meeting her at the 2008 San Diego Comic Con~8/1/08
4/18/11~ the day I brushed shoulders with Robert Pattinson!
Old 09-09-2017, 07:29 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswell 10/2/00 (View Post)
You never know what happened over the summer. We didn't see a lot of their talks just baby drama.

However from what we saw from the Busted Flashbacks we did see them trying to rebuild and regain some trust.

I personally thought the semi skinny dipping scene was a little too much. (maybe later on in the season) It was way to early for them to be doing that. I could understand how with a new network they wanted something shocking. I remember my freinds were shoked to see it happen. It felt so out of character.

Later on in the season yes but not right away. The Rebel with out a case thing was too much too soon but they wanted something shocking with the new network to get new fans and to draw people in so I get it.

I feel if season 3 started with them going slow then having Changes and the Liz rant in the beginning it would of made more sense.

Busted to me could of been a great mid season cliff hanger. Then as the season went on slowly show them building the friendship and love back. Have them bond over the search for Max's son and them rebuilding their relationship.

Then chant Down Babalion could of been a great way to show that they came full circle and that they were going to be ok.

Later in the season could of been Isabel's wedding with the Kivar drama, 4 Aliens and a Baby, and then Graduation.
True. Although given they had a reduced episode count by the end, any plan they had was forced to be revised. I think they wanted to show Isabel running into marriage, and then having to face the fact Jesse married into a circle that he had no knowledge of, and what it does to a marriage. So it was very fast, probably too fast but that was why the there was genuine discomfort with Isabel marrying Jesse. Doing it any later in the season would take away Isabel's rushing. Waiting, would have maybe allowed her to come to her senses. It also gave Katherine (who was very vocal about wanting something to do) a storyline in Season 3. It's a great story, viewing it now.

I think Max and Liz were going slow... But slow for them goes very fast very quickly. And that ultimately was their issue. Remember this the couple who went from Blind Date to Sexual Healing very fast. So for them rushing back to each other, and then a simple date progresses to skinny dipping isn't that far fetched given their history.

The skinny dipping scene was to show that they were getting back into their comfort zone and then his near drowning due to the message from the baby gets its vehicle to make a impact.

Sure if you really wanted to rearrange to fit a more realistic, it could be done. And certain things could have been done differently but I also think when UPN reduced to episode count, any hope of having a more coherent season was shot to hell because things had to be tied up...

Busted, I think was a symptom of them racing back to each other too fast without talking.

As you said, we don't know what happened that summer. They may have talked about Future Max, and probably did. But I can see why fans actually wanted to see the discussion.

I think the Changes arc was given more importance because it was so close to graduation because university and life decisions had to be made. Looking at Maria who was at the same time going through her own crisis, so I don't think it could have been done earlier because having them on a more firm ground would negate a lot of what was needed to give Chant Down Babylon it's impact.

So they legitimately did decide to go slow after Vermont, but of course they were soon back to more in their comfort zone.

After Vermont, we will never know what they had plan to do because they had to compact the stories to tie up loose ends, to end the show.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:14 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Shiri Appleby

I desperately wanted Max and Liz, but not that way
Old 09-09-2017, 06:18 PM
Elite Fan

I always thought that at least we needed an episode before busted.

eta:
memories

Last edited by Amaranto; 09-09-2017 at 06:44 PM
Old 09-09-2017, 09:36 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Roswell

You all bring up some great points!

I agree a another episode before Busted would of been great. I wanted more summer flashbacks.

I feel if they had shown more summer flashbacks in the first few episodes of them talking about season 2 it would of been better. Then Busted would of been even more explosive!

I loved what they did in the beginning of Skin and Bones with Max doing the voice over and recapping the season.

As a new comer to Roswell in season 2 during the Skin and Bones premiere I loved it. I caught up right away with what was going on and I was hooked.

I think they could of done something like that in the beginning of Busted or had another episode of the summer before Busted happend it would of been better.
Roswell Board~Celebrating 300,000 posts of Silver Handprints, Alien Blasts, & Tabasco Sause "OMG your the girl I didn't puke on"~Stephenie Meyer to me in reference to meeting her at the 2008 San Diego Comic Con~8/1/08
4/18/11~ the day I brushed shoulders with Robert Pattinson!
Old 09-10-2017, 04:46 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Shiri Appleby

If they were going to be the same flashbacks we saw in busted, no thanks.

awww Shiri talking of her reunion with Jason
Old 09-10-2017, 08:04 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswell 10/2/00 (View Post)
You all bring up some great points!

I agree a another episode before Busted would of been great. I wanted more summer flashbacks.

I feel if they had shown more summer flashbacks in the first few episodes of them talking about season 2 it would of been better. Then Busted would of been even more explosive!

I loved what they did in the beginning of Skin and Bones with Max doing the voice over and recapping the season.

As a new comer to Roswell in season 2 during the Skin and Bones premiere I loved it. I caught up right away with what was going on and I was hooked.

I think they could of done something like that in the beginning of Busted or had another episode of the summer before Busted happend it would of been better.
A two part season finale probably would have been better. So say, you frame the episode as Max and Liz passionately in front of the convenience store, and then go in and shockingly rob it. And then after the commercial, you flashback for the rest of the episode to get to the point where they go into Bonnie and Clyde mode. And then have the fall out be the focus of it's own episode...

But given it was on a new network, I can see why they wanted to move on quickly. And show that there was fallout. Max and Liz were trying to move on, by initially going slow before reving up again or Michael trying to complete his credits so he could actually graduate as he faced the realities of picking Maria and Earth...

So they tried to bring people up to date with some flashbacks, but it could have been more extensive but given they eventually only had 18 or 19 episodes that season. They needed all the episodes they had to really tell a story, and even then some of it got short changed. The only episode you could have lost was "Married to a Alien", but even then that moved forward Michael's funk over Maria and Isabel and Jesse's ill-fated marriage and the secrets...

Looking back, we definitely could do a lot differently if we had our own ability to take charge. A lot was changed by the move to the UPN. It kept the show alive, but it forced them to go in other directions when if the show was more of a hit, we might have seen more of a grittier examination of the fallout...

I still love Season 3 for the human based stories for the alien human squad. Season 2 - may be more watchable and tolerable today, but it got a little extreme... So I appreciated the show in Season 3 going back to the emotions of being who they were, being in love, and trying to face their lives in the face of the consequences of their actions. It was more what Season 1 was...

And I appreciated that...
Old 09-10-2017, 10:02 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Shiri Appleby

But there was no way to move on quickly and I think that with the first episode people already reacted badly to it , but they continued to ignore the whole stuff and when they wanted to focus on Max and Liz was just too late.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:28 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by azure angel (View Post)
But there was no way to move on quickly and I think that with the first episode people already reacted badly to it , but they continued to ignore the whole stuff and when they wanted to focus on Max and Liz was just too late.
I don't think they ignored it because Max and Liz was reeling and dealing with it for months after their reunion. So it's not like they got back together, and all was rosy. Things were tense, and not completely resolved especially as Max got mixed up with finding his son, and it started the ball rolling again. They were dealing with the fallout, and adding to it.

But still they had to figure out a way to move on, and present this show that was coming to a new network that didn't have the cache of Buffy, who moved at the same time.

Shows tape for weeks before it airs, especially at the start of the season, so they were well on their way to taping the first half of the season when the show started airing, so they couldn't do anything but live with it and continue on with whatever their plan was... And I do think it all had a purpose. It wasn't as bad as Season 2. Busted was about presenting the show in a new way. Bringing fans up to date, maybe grabbing new viewers. Unfortunately it didn't help the show. But then, I think Bonnie and Clyde Max and Liz was not that much of a stretch given all they were forced to do before, and what levels they were all pushed to...

Yes, they could have done a better job I will agree with it. But they didn't ignore the pain. They raced back to each other, which is in character for each other. They should of talked, but they didn't. They let it fester, until it exploded. Then they were better for it, but it all took time.

It all made sense, at least to me LOL.
Old 09-10-2017, 03:43 PM
Elite Fan

The last thing I needed to see it was Max ignored Liz's feelings ... especially no after the mess of s2. What did Max to gain her trust again? nothing. And I know they were not together when happened what happened, but he still betrayed them, imo.