Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2019, 08:20 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm actually totally ok with it, it's the only interesting thing I saw in the pilot. Everything else was lacklustre. And it also means that our M&M are forever untouched.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:08 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Roswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylittlecandygirl (View Post)
Hey everyone, have just been reading about the Roswell reboot and found out that the new Michael is gay in it. I found it so funny, it's literally made my day.
It's pretty funny to watch in the reboot! Either then that the reboot is a hot mess! What where they thinking! It is the Titanic of bad ideas! Complete disaster!

Give me the original Roswell with our Candies any day! 20 years later we still believe for a reason!
Roswell Board~Celebrating 300,000 posts of Silver Handprints, Alien Blasts, & Tabasco Sause "OMG your the girl I didn't puke on"~Stephenie Meyer to me in reference to meeting her at the 2008 San Diego Comic Con~8/1/08
4/18/11~ the day I brushed shoulders with Robert Pattinson!
Old 01-16-2019, 01:42 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damocles (View Post)
I'm actually totally ok with it, it's the only interesting thing I saw in the pilot. Everything else was lacklustre. And it also means that our M&M are forever untouched.
I can respect it for the fact that they're doing something different with Michael Just on a personal level, I cannot disassociate Michael from Maria The pairing got me invested in the original show.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 01-16-2019, 07:16 AM
Passionate Fan

I thought it was so funny because trying to think of our Michael as gay is just mad, like some weird slash fanfiction. It made my day. I do think it’s good that we won’t have to suffer M/M 2.0 which looked like a recipe for disaster.

{Kate}
Old 01-16-2019, 01:35 PM
Elite Fan

I've got to say, I have a hard time understanding the people behind this new version claiming that it's more based on the books than the original tv show. I mean, Michael is gay and with Àlex, basically destroying two out of the three romances in the original books.

It's like shooting a tv series based on Pride and Prejudice and having… Bingley and Colonel Fitwiliam gay and together! Crazy.

- Michael and Maria belong together (Thania St John, writer)
Icon : ?
Old 01-16-2019, 01:43 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

For real. Let's be honest - every show that's being made now is doing everything possible to be as politically correct as they can possibly be. It's so predictable.

Well, it's a "no" from me. I would rather wait weeks or months (even years if I have to ) for Baron and Toluca to be released.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 01-16-2019, 10:16 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Roswell

Preach it! I want my B&T

Not this disaster of a reboot with No Candy!
Roswell Board~Celebrating 300,000 posts of Silver Handprints, Alien Blasts, & Tabasco Sause "OMG your the girl I didn't puke on"~Stephenie Meyer to me in reference to meeting her at the 2008 San Diego Comic Con~8/1/08
Old 01-17-2019, 02:03 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Cuddly Candy

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 01-17-2019, 03:55 PM
Passionate Fan

My thoughts about the reboot Pilot.... I don't know how to post a spoiler box so highlight to read.

Have just watched the pilot of the reboot. I am shocked at how uninteresting and not compelling it is, being as it's based on the Roswell High books and also our beloved series. A few thoughts... I don't like the preachy political correct undertones, about illegal immigration, Trump and feminism. We have to deal with those things in everyday life, I'd rather avoid it while I'm watching a drama. Also, I think it takes away a lot from the alien plot. Maybe it will be better in future episodes, but in this one I feel that the two things don't really mesh together very well and some of it was just forced.

Another thing I was shocked at is how uninteresting and unlikable the new Michael and Isabel are. Michael is apparently a drunk, stoner who lives in a trailer. He also doesn't seem like a very nice person. And obviously NOT as cute as Brendan Fehr, then or now. Isabel doesn't seem very pleasant either and I think the actress who plays her is very miscast. Max is cute, and looks remarkably similar to Jason Behr which I think is nice. I'm not struck with Max/Liz at the moment, I honestly don't think any of the cast have chemistry with each other. It feels like a bunch of actors who don't know each other, which is essentially true but you are not supposed to be able to tell that.

The only casting choices that I like are Alex (Caleb from Pretty Little Liars) and Kyle (Tyler from The Vampire Diaries) I think they are pretty perfect for those roles.

Sheriff Valenti is a woman too, which just seems to tick off another politically correct box and do nothing for the show.

Liz seems like a hybrid of the original Liz and Maria. She's smart like our Liz, but has crazy outbursts like Maria. Maybe that is why new 'Maria' isn't such a big part of the show. As for 'Maria', she wasn't in it much but I did actually like her. She seems cool.

Overall, I felt that the pilot was a bit of a misfire. The series 'Starcrossed' was a hell of a lot better and that got cancelled after one series.

{Kate}
Old 01-17-2019, 10:06 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Roswell

Awesome review! Totally agree with your thoughts especially the one about Kyle. Kyke was the only thing in the reboot I enjoyed.

I agree the pilot is all over the place and the reboot fals flat. The crazy thing is that the actors who play Max and Liz in the reboot have worked together before on short lived the TV show Bunheads.

I agree the Starcrossed pilot had a little more substance then this.

I also didn't like this Maria as well. I don't understand what the point of her character is in this reboot?

Michael is more of a slaker then anything in the reboot. At least our Michael had a rebel with out a cause James Dean vibe.He was edgy, mysterious, and smart. I loved how Michael wanted to know things and was in search for answers.

Anyway I want B&T.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:53 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylittlecandygirl (View Post)
My thoughts about the reboot Pilot.... I don't know how to post a spoiler box so highlight to read.
To post a spoiler box, you include the tags sp and /sp around the text

I'll reply to your comments --

Spoiler:

Oh FFS I totally agree with you. This is why I avoid 21st century TV shows. Most of them are just preachy about recent political events and/or diversity. Boring.

Spoiler:

So, Michael is basically a new version of his adoptive father from the original version??? That's not good.

Spoiler:

Thank you for pointing this out I think that is an excellent point to make. What drew us all to the original version was the innate chemistry.

Like you said, we shouldn't be able to feel awkwardness in a group of friends who have supposed to known each other for years.

Majandra and Shiri had immediately chemistry on screen, you felt the bond between Maris and Liz, and their friendship was the best thing about Season 3 in my opinion.

Spoiler:

That doesn't surprise me. Michael Trevino was easily one of the best actors in The Vampire Diaries and I always hated that they fazed him out by Season 4.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 01-18-2019, 01:14 PM
Passionate Fan

Thanks Gwen!
Spoiler:

{Kate}
Old 01-18-2019, 03:56 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

No problem!

The idea of a Michael/Maria/Alex triangle is just so weird when you think about the original Although there could be worse things

Guess I'm just gonna have to get used to the fact that audiences who are unfamiliar with the 90's show will only know this new, obviously crappier version of MM.

I appreciate your review and the details you shared I never planned on watching the new one and I still don't plan to. The knowledge that it's written by TVD crew doesn't help, because they screwed up everything I liked about that show by Season 4.

I gave the new 'Sabrina' a go on Netflix and didn't love it. It didn't take them long to ruin Harvey/Sabrina, which was by far and large the best thing about the 90's show. Needless to say, I'm so tired of all these reboots.

I'll stick to the REAL Roswell. The one where Candy is OTP and Michael is a lot more relatable

Plus, I bet Baron + Toluca would be three times better than anything this reboot has to offer. Still waiting for that

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 01-18-2019, 07:30 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I agree with everything you said - particular about the cast, as a whole, having no chemistry. It's one thing to hire the right actor for the role, but they also have to meld well with all the other actors. For some reason they nailed this in our original Roswell.

I so far can't stand new Michael, he seems nasty and out of control. Isobel was woefully miscast, I think.

I guess I'll reserve final judgement if I watch one or two more episodes, but I also don't know if I even want to.

Btw Michael is apparently bi, which I think is great - but I don't want them to just make him bi to gain points - I want them to explore his actual character further rather than just instantly shoving it in our faces like they did when he started kissing Alex (also don't care for that actor). The struggles of a secret alien AND being bisexual in today's society can be super compelling, but something tells me that they don't have the ideas or writing skills to bother with this (ok, I'm judging way early, but still).

Maria? What Maria?

Old 01-19-2019, 02:05 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damocles (View Post)
Btw Michael is apparently bi, which I think is great - but I don't want them to just make him bi to gain points - I want them to explore his actual character further rather than just instantly shoving it in our faces like they did when he started kissing Alex.
That's an excellent point. Exploring his sexuality for the point of saying something about his character is one thing, but doing it just to make some sort of PC statement is another.

I don't mind character changes, as long as they're true to the characters and not just trying to please people who don't even know the characters.

Quote:
The struggles of a secret alien AND being bisexual in today's society can be super compelling, but something tells me that they don't have the ideas or writing skills to bother with this (ok, I'm judging way early, but still).
Your first instincts can often be correct

Quote:
Maria? What Maria?
This one only -

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top