Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2007, 03:08 PM
Master Fan

Let me dig up a post from a long time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
Daisy is the one thing I can't stand about the show.
Hoshi at the start was somebody who was very much not a fieldwork person and had been pressured into a very challenging and dangerous field assignment by Archer. She was scared out of her wits, yeah, but she had no problem admitting that and she worked hard on doing something about it. She was probably the most humanly vulnerable trek character ever and she was somebody who made an effort despite her crippling fears. That made her a very real character. And to my mind a very meaningful one.
I absolutely agree on Hoshi. Great character, strong character, and very appealing.

This season isn't too great for SF. Heroes has Claire Bennett. Jericho (my favorite new show) has a number of female characters. Emily is the cutest but I think Heather is the strongest.
AlexEvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:11 PM
Total Fan

I liked Hoshi as well.

A couple pages back, I listed the female characters in both Jericho and Heroes who had appeared in approximately half the episodes at the time, I'll try to include any new information that I can remember off the top of my head. Since I don't watch Jericho regularly, my knowledge is very limited.

Jericho
Emily Sullivan – past/potential love interest for lead, engaged, school teacher
Gail Green – mother of lead, wife of former mayor
April Green – pregnant sister-in-law of lead
Darcy Hawkins - ex-wife of man of mysterious motives/background
Heather Lisinski – teacher, potential love interest for lead
Mimi Clark – I.R.S. agent
Gracie Leigh -
Mary Bailey -
Bonnie Richmond -
Skylar Stevens -
Allison Hawkins – daughter of man of mysterious motives/background

Heroes
To make things easier, anyone with a known power will be called a Hero whether they use the power for good or not
Claire Bennett – Hero, teenager, cheerleader
Niki Sanders – Hero, mother of a Hero, married to (perhaps divorced from) a Hero, operated adult website
Simone Deveaux – not a Hero, friend and/or lover of at least two Heroes, art dealer (?), deceased
Eden McCain – Hero, worked with HRG, deceased
Sandra Bennett – not a Hero, adoptive-mother of a Hero, was clueless due to memory loss at hands of Haitian hero

Don't forget, we do have a few female characters on newer shows like The Dresden Files, Blood Ties, and the soon to debut Painkiller Jane. There is also a planned HBO vampire series that will star Anna Paquin. Also, The 4400 and Eureka will return this summer and both have some decent female characters.
dukesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:24 AM
Elite Fan

You forgot Candice from heroes and I think we should put Ms. Petrelli on there as well, since she's pulling the strings of the Hatian.
Vampires don't "sparkle" in the sun: they screech in horror, burst into flame and wither to ash.
Cryostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:23 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryostar (View Post)
what about something like Underworld
Did anyone else notice that in the Underworld sequel, other than the main character, there were no female characters? At least, none that weren't there strictly as part of the scenery.

I haven't really been following this thread, but has anyone mentioned Doctor Who? There have been loads of female companions that travelled with the Doctor over the years. Since most are young and can't possibly compare in knowledge and experience to the 900+ year old Doctor, they usually fall into the screaming, ankle-twisting, helpless damsel in distress mold. But a few have stood out as stronger, more resourceful, more equal to the Doctor than others. A lot has been said about Rose in the latest Who being more of a partner to the Doctor than any companion in the past, but I disagree - there was also Romana, another Time Lord that often knew more than the Doctor did, or Sarah Jane Smith, who was at least as brave and adventurous as Rose when it came to dealing with the crazy alien situations the Doctor always got them into, or Ace, the tough girl who always had the Doctor's back.
Raonaild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 05:24 AM
Elite Fan

What about Amelia? She wasn't in there for long. She's supposed to figure more prominantly in the third movie.

I think dukesmom mentioned it a few pages ack. We can't forget dr. who.
Vampires don't "sparkle" in the sun: they screech in horror, burst into flame and wither to ash.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:02 PM
Total Fan

Did I mention Doctor Who? I might have. Then again, I've only seen 2 seasons so I only really know of one major female character - Rose. Unless you want to include her mother.

I guess I left off Heroes' Candice because she is so new, or I got distracted by something shiny. It happens sometimes. I intended to include Mrs. Petrelli, see previous excuse regarding the shiny.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:58 PM
Elite Fan

Was it a diamond in the light?
Old 03-31-2007, 09:30 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesmom (View Post)

Don't forget, we do have a few female characters on newer shows like The Dresden Files, Blood Ties, and the soon to debut Painkiller Jane. There is also a planned HBO vampire series that will star Anna Paquin. Also, The 4400 and Eureka will return this summer and both have some decent female characters.
Blood Ties is supposed to be coming to Canada in the fall. Never enough vampire shows.

I'm glad to hear the HBO project is still upcoming. Anna Paquin should be good.

AlexEvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:04 PM
Elite Fan

I don't know, I've grown somewhat cold to her recently. She's not chose good films to be in.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:59 PM
Total Fan

Okay, the Q&A below was posted on tvguide.com last Friday. When I glanced through it I realized that about half the women characters mentioned are SciFi or Fantasy (and all of the new vampire series are left out). I'm not sure if that means women in Sci Fi are about even with women in all other genres or not.

Quote:
Question: I'm worried. I'm not going to argue that Gilmore Girls needs another season, but with Lorelai Gilmore recently being resigned to the ranks of Buffy Summers, Felicity Porter and Sydney Bristow, and the likely cancellation of Veronica Mars, the future of female-empowering television is looking bleak. Is there any hope on the horizon for those who enjoy a thoughtful show about intelligent women, or is that genre all but dead? Has reality "telexploitation" ruined the future of femme TV? Am I so naive to think that it can't all be a numbers game? Doesn't quality count for anything anymore?— Lori

Matt Roush: We'll know more about TV's immediate future in the next week, when the networks' schedules are set and we start getting sneak peeks of the newbies. (And as Michael Ausiello has led the way in reporting, Veronica's fate is looking less bleak these days.) But given some of the new titles floating about — to name just a few: a series built around the Sarah Connor character from the Terminator movies, a possible new Bionic Woman, a series based on Candace Bushnell's Lipstick Jungle, a knockoff of a similar concept from Darren Star, Amy Sherman-Palladino's new project, and the adaptation of Footballers' Wives — it's pretty clear that the feminization of prime time is still a high priority. Will these shows individually or collectively be as distinctive as Buffy, Felicity, Alias, Veronica Mars and Gilmore Girls? Probably not, but maybe one or two will exceed expectations. Nothing is more dangerous this time of year than under- or overestimating the potential of shows in development based on concept, gender, title or even producer. It's not like female heroes have altogether vanished. They may not all be to your taste, but with strong female leads on shows like Brothers & Sisters, Desperate Housewives, The Closer, Cold Case, Medium, Ghost Whisperer, Law & Order: SVU and the on-the-bubble Close to Home, it's not like TV is turning its back on the female audience. Which would be insane, because that's who's driving most of the ratings. Given your examples, though, it's clear that the CW needs to pick up the slack and give us some new kick-ass heroines to fill the old WB void, and soon.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:47 PM
Elite Fan

Great article. Thanks for hte post up.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:58 PM
Total Fan

Another article not specifically about women in SciFi, but science fiction roles are mentioned: Female action pics need heroes of their own | Entertainment | Reuters
Old 06-04-2007, 05:18 AM
Elite Fan

Thank you for the article Dukesmom.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:46 AM
Loyal Fan

Oh, lovin' the idea of this thread!

Anyone mentioned Elizabeth Weir of "Stargate Atlantis" yet?
Right now she is definitely my favorite female character on a SciFi show!
Very strong, determined and intelligent. But she also makes mistakes and isn't afraid to admit it... I like that! And man, "the look" is quite famous already...
I'm sorry if she has been talked about already...

And I used to love Lyta Alexander from "Babylon 5".
She had so many weaknesses but I still thought she was pretty cool... ... and she so cracked me up in some scenes. Well, hence the username...
lytab5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 04:59 AM
Elite Fan

I believe Dukesmom got Torri Higgonson a few pages back.

We've been short on Bab5 ladies, so nice addition.
Reply   Post New Thread