Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2010, 10:26 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
The only character I mentioned who was from comics or graphic novels was Hannibal King. No other character or story I mentioned was from coics or graphic novels.
The point was is that I am not familiar with the comic character you mentioned or any other comic or graphic novel that may cover the vampire topic.

The 'Hannibal King' character was in the third Blade movie, Blade: Trinity, in which Ryan Reynolds played the role. Although I do not know if it is based on the comic character you mentioned.
Melissa Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:30 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melika (View Post)
The point was is that I am not familiar with the comic character you mentioned or any other comic or graphic novel that may cover the vampire topic.
The point is you are also not familiar with a number of vampire television shows. I suggest you look them up on wikipedia. It's a good place to find out about tv. Forever Knight, Angel the Series, Kindred the Embraced, Being Human.

Quote:
The 'Hannibal King' character was in the third Blade movie, Blade: Trinity, in which Ryan Reynolds played the role. Although I do not know if it is based on the comic character you mentioned.
Loosely based.

Last edited by sum1; 07-09-2010 at 07:44 PM
sum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:00 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melika (View Post)
I honestly have not heard of "Being Human" or "Kindred the Embraced". Are they novels or movies?
Being Human is a current British television series about a ghost, vampire, and werewolf sharing a flat. An American version is in the works.

Kindred: The Embraced was an American television series in 1996 loosely based on the role-playing game Vampire: The Masquerade. I was able to watch the entire series by getting the DVDs from Netflix.

I know there is a thread for Being Human on this board. Cannot remember if there is one for Kindred.
dukesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:25 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
The point is you are also not familiar with a number of vampire television shows.
I agree, I don't know if they ever aired here or not. I was never a fan of Angel or Buffy for that matter.

But thanks for the suggestion of searching Wiki for info, they're usually very detailed.

dukesmom - Thanks you for the plot synopsis!
Old 07-11-2010, 06:21 PM
Elite Fan

There is not a Kindred thread. Given that so few of remember that it was actually a TV show, it probably isn't warranted either, however, I was quite fond of it.

There are Vampires in the new "The gates" ABC tv series.
Vampires don't "sparkle" in the sun: they screech in horror, burst into flame and wither to ash.
Cryostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Elite Fan

^^ I quite like "The Gates" I've been watching it, plus I love Rhona Mitra, she's got the mysterious quality plus she's beautiful!
Old 07-12-2010, 06:32 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
X-Men

Everybody's in a tv series these days.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:51 PM
Elite Fan

I watched the new episode of "The Gates" last night, it was really good. There is this mystery aspect that is starting to surface on particular characters which is intriguing.

The basis of the show, we know is about vampires and werewolves, but there's something else we don't know which is what's been keeping me watching.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:19 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
X-Men

Well I've never seen any of this Gates thing.

Some vampire shows:

Dark Shadows
60s/70s soap opera with the vampire Barnabas Collins. Mostly crap.

Dark Shadows Revival
1990/91 remake with Ben Cross (Spock's father in the recent Star Trek movie) as Barnabas. Good atmosphere piece. Killed by the Gulf War, which stole everybody's attention away from it. Survived for only 12 episodes and a pilot.

Forever Knight
1992-96 Canadian show about a police detective who's an 800 year-old vampire, played by Welsh actor Geraint Wyn Davies. Ended horribly.

Kindred the Embraced
1996 show based on a roleplaying game. Mark Frankel played vampire leader Julian Luna but was killed in a motorcycle accident, which is probably why the show was cancelled after 8 episodes.

Buffy
1997-2003, the original king of the vampire shows. Sarah Michelle Gellar kills vampires and demons as Buffy Summers. Vampires on the show included Spike, Angel, Darla, Drusilla and The Master, among others.

Angel
1999-2004, spinoff of Buffy about annoying vampire Angel. Ok in its first season, but crap after that. This was another one of those vampire detective shows, particularly early in its run.

Blade the Series:
Connected to the Blade movies. Half-vampire Blade kills vampires, in alliance with vampire Krista Starr, Iraq veteran and great character. Ran for 13 episodes. 2006.

Bloodties
Christina Cox. Ran for two seasons, 2007-8.

Moonlight
2007-8 show about sexist vampire detective Mick. Logan from Veronica Mars was good in it.

True Blood
High quality HBO show that improves on Charlaine Harris's mediocre vampire books. Started in 2008 and now in its 3rd season.

Being Human
2008 (and onwards) British show about a vampire, a werewolf and a ghost living together in a house in Bristol. Genuinely Irish vampire. Cryojerry hates it.

Demons
2009 cancelled British show which ripped off Buffy and included vampires and had a sort-of-vampire in its main cast. Cryojerry loved it.

Vampire Diaries
2009+ show based on a series of kids' books, about a young woman romancing two vampires. Looks lame.

Last edited by sum1; 07-13-2010 at 05:34 PM
sum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:54 PM
Elite Fan

Sum, you may like it. It seems that there are established supernatural communities, vamipres, werewolves and witches, and inside The Gates, they all co-exist and are outside the bounds of their society's regular laws. Several times they mention that if they did these things outside The Gates, their own kind would have their hide.
Vampires don't "sparkle" in the sun: they screech in horror, burst into flame and wither to ash.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:44 PM
Elite Fan

I've heard of Dark Shadows, and it's actually supposed to be made into a film starring Johnny Depp.

After Dark Shadows, the couple you've listed, I would have been 10 when they aired and would have never seen them.

Know of Buffy and Angel, I just don't like SMG.

I've seen previews of Blood Ties and have wanted to see it, but didn't know how good it was.

I didn't like the Blade Series, preferred the movies as they were.

Loved Moonlight, but only got 16 episodes before they cancelled it.

Had not heard of Being Human or Demons.

Cannot stand Vampire Diaries. It's just immature for me.

Have you watched Blood Ties? Any good?
Old 07-14-2010, 09:52 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
X-Men

SMG is one of the best actresses around. She did a brilliant job on Buffy and has done some great work since Buffy. There are few actors who can manage her depth of feeling or capacity to do both vulnerability and strength so well.

The Blade series was better than the movies. It had Krista Starr and it didn't have Wesley Snipes, major improvement.

Moonlight was a weak show. The actor who played Mick and Eva Myles were both likable and Dohring was good, but the show was not well made and was overly soft.

I haven't seen Blood Ties, but I have the dvd so I'm going to watch it. I haven't seen Vampire Diaries, but I intend to to watch some. Vampire Diaries can be expected to be immature, because it's based on children's books. The two vampires in it don't seem promising, considering who the actors are, but the main actress is sexy.

Why can't there be a show or film about a human male dating a female vampire? There's so much of the reverse. Underworld sort of did that, but quickly went another direction.

Or how about a vampire dating a vampire? You know, equality.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:20 PM
Elite Fan

Blood Ties is one show I would like to see.

I agree as well about your comment on their being a show or film about a male dating the female vamp. It does seem that it's always the male vamp seducing the female in some way.

I love the first Underworld movie and the third which is the prequel. The sequel was just ok.

The Gates has couples, in other words, vampires married to vampires.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:04 AM
Elite Fan

I can't wait for the fourth underworld to make it to screen...hopefully it'll be much better than 2
Old 07-16-2010, 03:32 PM
Elite Fan

I didn't even know they were doing a fourth!

What's the plot?
Reply   Post New Thread