Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2008, 07:17 PM
Elite Fan

Vampire Appreciation Thread #5

Welcome to the VAMPIRE Appreciation Thread!

From "Unexlplained Mysteries"

Vampire Information from Wikipedia

Vampires are mythological or folkloric revenants, who subsist by feeding on the blood of the living. In folkloric tales, the undead vampires often visited loved ones and caused mischief or deaths in the neighbourhoods they inhabited when they were alive. They wore shrouds and were often described as bloated and of ruddy or dark countenance, markedly different from today's gaunt, pale vampire which dates from the early Nineteenth Century. Although vampiric entities have been recorded in most cultures, the term vampire was not popularised until the early 18th century, after an influx of vampire superstition into Western Europe from areas where vampire legends were frequent, such as the Balkans and Eastern Europe,[1] although local variants were also known by different names, such as vrykolakas in Greece and strigoi in Romania. This increased level of vampire superstition in Europe led to what can only be called mass hysteria and in some cases resulted in corpses actually being staked and people being accused of vampirism.

In modern times, however, the vampire is generally held to be a fictitious entity, although belief in similar vampiric creatures such as the chupacabra still persists in some cultures. Early folkloric belief in vampires has been ascribed to the ignorance of the body's process of decomposition after death and how people in pre-industrial societies tried to rationalise this, creating the figure of the vampire to explain the mysteries of death. Porphyria was also linked with legends of vampirism in 1985 and received much media exposure, but has since been largely discredited.

The charismatic and sophisticated vampire of modern fiction was born in 1819 with the publication of The Vampyre by John Polidori; the story was highly successful and arguably the most influential vampire work of the early 19th century.[2] However, it is Bram Stoker's 1897 novel Dracula which is remembered as the quintessential vampire novel and provided the basis of the modern vampire legend. The success of this book spawned a distinctive vampire genre, still popular in the 21st century, with books, films, and television shows. The vampire has since become a dominant figure in the horror genre.

Last edited by Melissa Ann; 06-30-2008 at 07:23 PM
Old 07-01-2008, 08:32 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for starting the new thread.

JC, I'm not sure I was that surprised....it is HBO after all, they take full advantage of being a non-broadcast TV Station.
Vampires don't "sparkle" in the sun: they screech in horror, burst into flame and wither to ash.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:44 PM
Elite Fan

So i bought the first two books, Twilight and New Moon and I just started reading them yesterday...I'm already 250 pages into the first... I cannot put it down. It's so good!

Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 07-27-2008, 02:06 AM
Total Fan

I finally finished Many Bloody Returns the other day. Enjoyed the stories by authors with whom I was already familiar and didn't hate any of the others. I doubt I'll start any new series right now (kind of swamped) but I may give one or two of the other authors a try if I get a chance sometime in the future.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:35 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Melika (View Post)
So i bought the first two books, Twilight and New Moon and I just started reading them yesterday...I'm already 250 pages into the first... I cannot put it down. It's so good!

Thanks for the suggestion!
I might give those a try sometime...

I wish it was summer again...
Old 07-28-2008, 04:59 AM
Elite Fan

Dukesmom, I found a movie coming out that might be right up your alley...

It’s The Draculas Vs. The Zombies In LAST BLOOD!! -- Ain't It Cool News: The best in movie, TV, DVD, and comic book news.
Vampires don't "sparkle" in the sun: they screech in horror, burst into flame and wither to ash.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:59 PM
Total Fan

The guy who's scripting it previously wrote screenplays for Star Trek: Enterprise. Not exactly something that comforts me.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:46 AM
Elite Fan

That's true, but the graphic novel he's basing it on is good source material, so hopefully he can't screw it up that much.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:26 PM
Elite Fan

Unless he gives Vamps Vulcan ears...
Old 07-31-2008, 04:49 AM
Elite Fan

Which wouldn't too far off from some interpretations of the vampire.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:30 PM
Total Fan

Corey Feldman, in the guise of Edgar Frog, made an appearance on The Soup tonight to promote the release of The Lost Boys: The Tribe. He came out in full Frog gear, brandishing a stake with which he "threatened" Joel. Has his voice always been that gravelly?
Old 08-02-2008, 11:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

I'm sick of hearing about the Twilight franchise. Is it a fad or what? Does everybody have to be into the same thing? At least it isn't Anne Rice.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:59 PM
Elite Fan

^^ I know what you mean.

I am a fan of the series, but even I'm getting tired of some the repetitiveness that's coming from it.

I don't think it's a fad, it's like the new Harry Potter. The book series is just popular.

Plus, the first movie is set for a December release, so the anticipation makes people's repetitiveness a lot more annoying at times.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:58 AM
Elite Fan

Yes, but unlike Harry Potter, it's not a very well written book.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:02 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryostar (View Post)
Yes, but unlike Harry Potter, it's not a very well written book.
ITA I tried really hard to get into Twilight but failed :/
besides Twilight will never be as popular as Harry Potter.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread