Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 10:35 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Article bashes True Blood

See here: Why I Won't Be Tuning In To True Blood This Weekend - TV.com

This article shows a real lack of perception.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:26 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I don't see why it was moved. It's NOT news of any sort. It's critical commentary.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:35 PM
Nad
Fan Forum Hero

Because we do have a general discussion thread and therefore it didn't need an extra thread.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Wasn't it moved to the news thread?
Old 07-17-2010, 02:42 AM
New Fan

penis in true blood opening

I noticed when watching the OP frame by frame, there are 4 frames in which a penis is visible. Just thought I'd point this out.

trav1085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:48 AM
New Fan

Ideal Coupling.

OK. So people tell me what you think of this.

Sookie And Alcide
Jessica And Hoyt
Sam and Tara
Eric and Pam? Sophie-Ann?
Bill and ....

Anyone got any ideas?
Elenanorthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:58 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenanorthman (View Post)
OK. So people tell me what you think of this.

Sookie And Alcide
Jessica And Hoyt
Sam and Tara
Eric and Pam? Sophie-Ann?
Bill and ....

Anyone got any ideas?
Alcide is onlly a temporary interlude in Sookie's life. Jessica and Hoyt works out surprisingly well. Sam and Tara doesn't seem to be love. Eric's too busy with other people to pay attention to Pam or Sophie Anne. Bill should be with Sookie, but the most recent season has screwed that up.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:22 AM
Elite Fan

I like Alcide

I've only seen up to season 3 or 4 I think so I'm not up to date to the episodes but they will start airing them in my country soon if I'm not mistaken.
*Lethe's Bramble* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:00 AM
Nad
Fan Forum Hero

We're only up to season 4 now, so if you've seen season 3 you should be up to date soon
Old 11-19-2011, 07:07 AM
Elite Fan

Oh that's great!
*Lethe's Bramble* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:02 AM
Fan Forum Hero

A while back I came to the realization that I hate Sookie. I started an unappreciation thread for her over on the True Blood board. Here's some of what I posed there, to give an idea of my reasons for hating Sookie:

Sookie is the single most boring, uninteresting character on the show. She's played as being as dumb as a post. She's self-righteous and often self-centered. Incredibly self-righteous. I'm so sick of her angry outbursts. I can't for the life of me see what Bill and Eric find so interesting about her. And that's another thing -Bill, Eric, Sam and Alcide all have a thing for her. Why? If it's not her telepathy or fairy blood then she's got nothing going for her, because she's a very boring jane shmoe. All these guys being fixated on her is classic Mary Sue stuff and it's annoying. The show would be greatly improved if she was killed off. The focus on her is a drag. And this fairy stuff is such total bull. It was a stupid idea to introduce fairies into the setting and the show doesn't do it remotely convincingly. And even the writers seem to realize it's lame, judging by how they had Sookie say so as soon as she found out. Sookie was pretty damn annoying in the books too -always telling the reader how great she was. The character is a major weight around the show's neck.

Jason is even dumber than Sookie yet he's entertaining. Sookie is a failure of a character and at least some of that must be rooted in her design as Charlaine Harris's Mary Sue. I know Anna Paquin can be other than annoying in a role. She's was pretty good in the X-Men films. But with Sookie she's been handed a character just waiting to annoy the audience. I contrast Sookie with Elena Gilbert over on Vampire Diaries. VD is a far less intelligent show than TB and Nina Dobrev plays Elena far less forcefully than Anna plays Sookie, but Elena is far more relatable and likable and doesn't have the same annoying quality. She has some Mary Sue traits of her own and but it's not done so painfully. And they didn't make Elena a fairy, which was a relief.

One of the things that bugs me about Sookie is that she's played as a caricature, specifically as a caricature of a dumb Southern blonde. As a caricature she's less of a real person. That makes her harder to take seriously, relate to or respect. It's a key to why she's so annoying, though her self-righteousness and Mary Sue status are also factors there.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:28 PM
New Fan

True Blood - Tara's Reflection

I also posted this thread in the TB forum. I've yet to find live chat on this site (I'm relatively 'puter illiterate) so I patiently await any replies. Here goes;

Is it just me or did anyone else notice on the 6/24 episode of TB Tara saw her reflection in the windshield whilst getting ready to munch on the woman changing her tire. (And thus being reminded of her identity and values, Tara refrained from drinking from the fountain of Life)

The question I have is that given EVERYONE knows vamps don't have reflections, was this a certifiable blooper or did the screenwriter include this hiccup on purpose?

The only 2 reasons I can muster for Tara's being able to see her own reflection is

1) Having not killed a human while feeding Tara thusfar retains this part of her humanity BUT once she has harvested a human she'll no longer be able to see her reflection.

2) While human's can't see a vampire's reflection, Vampires can see their reflection.

The second choice makes more sense. After all, any self respecting vampire with an normal portion or even a tiny shred of vanity would need to be able to see themselves. How would a vampire part it's hair?

Further (I'm Not trying to be sexist Ladies) this would be especially true with many (not all) lady Vampires. How could a foxy female vampire honey up and get all polished up for a night on the town without a mirror? Even being 100's & 1000's of years old, I still find it hard to feature how any creature could put on mascara without the aid of a mirror.

I'd appreciate any insights other members may have
poker.paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:58 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Vampires have reflections in True Blood and in a lot of other vampire fiction. Vampire stories don't have to follow all the vampire rules.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:28 AM
New Fan

Dilution of Louisiana as a character

An important contributing factor to the realism of TrueBlood is the unique setting of Louisiana (eg amazing opening credits). I particularly enjoyed S1 as it introduced me to this amazing location. The stifling heat and humidity of Louisiana lends authenticity to the profusion of hot, sweaty bodies - it's easy to get naked when it's so hot & sticky. Louisiana provides further context in its association with and proximity to spiritual practices like voodoo etc. The mystery that lurks beneath the oppressive Louisiana heat stokes a viewer's curiosity. One can almost feel the thick sticky atmosphere seeping into your living room as you get absorbed in a story couched in the mysticism of the south.

alas, with filming in California, we see a dilution of the authenticity of the story's geographical setting. It's just not so real anymore. Eg the outdoor evening dialogue in S4 between Jason & Sookie and Jason & Jessica. Jason's misty breath exhaled into the freezing cold night air is easily visible and detracts from the authenticity of the story's atmosphere.

i wish some scenes could be filmed on location. To me the aura of Louisiana adds great value to the film, so much that the writers could probably ease off pushing so hard at the boundaries of creativity because an authentic setting adds so much in itself. In essence, the series is about the characters' daily lives in Bon Temps - it just so happens that everyday life in Bon Temps has weirdness. S1 excels in portraying this atmosphere. The subsequent trip to Dallas also contrasts really well when the location of Bon Temp retains authenticity. When the realism of location is diluted it detracts from the story's home-base small-town authentic-southern atmosphere, particularly as the early introduction to the "real" Bon Temps was so vividly colorful and genuine.

cheers
TB yummybear
TB yummybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 04:58 PM
Master Fan

With the board gone now. I figure bump this thread.

I'll actually miss this show this summer. Grown acustomed to watching it during the summer. It'll feel different not seeing it on the HBO lineup in June.
The Survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread