Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2011, 04:32 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thor/Marvel Movies Discussion #1

Plot:
In 965 A.D., Odin (Anthony Hopkins), king of Asgard, wages war against the Frost Giants of Jotunheim and their leader Laufey (Colm Feore), to prevent them from conquering the Nine Realms, starting with Earth. The Asgardian warriors defeat the Frost Giants and seize the source of their power, the Casket of Ancient Winters.

In the present, Odin's son Thor (Chris Hemsworth) prepares to ascend to the throne of Asgard, but is interrupted when Frost Giants attempt to retrieve the Casket. Against Odin's order, Thor travels to Jotunheim to confront Laufey, accompanied by his brother Loki (Tom Hiddleston), childhood friend Sif (Jaimie Alexander) and the Warriors Three; Volstagg (Ray Stevenson), Fandral (Joshua Dallas) and Hogun (Tadanobu Asano). A battle ensues until Odin intervenes to save the Asgardians, destroying the fragile truce between the two races. For Thor's arrogance, Odin strips his son of his godly power and exiles him to Earth, accompanied by his hammer Mjolnir — the source of his power, now protected by a spell to allow only the worthy to wield it.

Thor lands in New Mexico, where scientist Jane Foster (Natalie Portman), her assistant Darcy Lewis (Kat Dennings) and mentor Dr. Erik Selvig (Stellan Skarsgård), find him. The local populace finds Mjolnir, which S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Phil Coulson (Clark Gregg) soon commandeers before forcibly acquiring Jane's data about the wormhole that delivered Thor to Earth. Thor, having discovered Mjolnir's nearby location, seeks to retrieve it from the facility that S.H.I.E.L.D. quickly constructed but he finds himself unable to lift it, and is captured. With Selvig's help, he is freed and resigns himself to exile on Earth as he develops a romance with Jane.

Loki discovers he is Laufey's son, adopted by Odin after the war ended. When Odin, overcome with stress, falls into the deep "Odinsleep" that allows him to recuperate, Loki becomes king and offers Laufey the chance to kill Odin and retrieve the Casket. Sif and the Warriors Three, unhappy with Loki's rule, attempt to return Thor from exile, convincing Heimdall (Idris Elba), gatekeeper of the Bifröst - the means of traveling between worlds - to allow them passage to Earth. Aware of their plan, Loki sends the Destroyer, a seemingly indestructible automaton, to pursue them and kill Thor. The warriors find Thor, but the Destroyer attacks and defeats them, prompting Thor to offer himself instead. Struck by the Destroyer and near death, Thor finds his sacrifice has proven him worthy to wield Mjolnir. The hammer returns to him, restoring his powers and enabling him to defeat the Destroyer. Kissing Jane goodbye and vowing to return, he and his fellow Asgardians return to confront Loki.

In Asgard, Loki betrays and kills Laufey, revealing his true plan to use Laufey's attempt on Odin's life as an excuse to destroy Jotunheim with the Bifröst Bridge, and thus prove himself worthy to Odin. Thor arrives and fights Loki before destroying the Bifröst Bridge to stop Loki's plan, stranding himself in Asgard. Odin awakens and prevents the brothers from falling into the abyss created in the wake of the bridge's destruction, but Loki allows himself to fall to his apparent death. Thor makes amends with Odin, admitting he is not ready to be king, while on Earth, Jane and her team search for a way to open a portal to Asgard.

In a post-credits scene, Selvig has been taken to a S.H.I.E.L.D. facility, where Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) asks him to study an unnamed device, which Fury says may hold untold power. Loki, invisible, whispers to Selvig to agree, which Selvig does.

Last edited by wickedrum; 06-05-2017 at 01:02 PM
Old 05-21-2011, 07:22 AM
Nad
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for getting this started Andie

Haven't seen the movie yet, but it sounds interesting
Old 11-19-2011, 06:19 PM
Master Fan

I finally got around to watching this movie, it was amazing!!
Old 12-06-2013, 09:06 AM
Fan Forum Star

Did anyone watch the sequel that came out last month?
Old 12-10-2013, 01:40 AM
Banned

I only saw the first movie that i really liked but still don't watched the second.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:16 AM
Elite Fan

I love the second movie but wish we could have seen more of The Warriors Three and Sif
Old 01-04-2014, 06:06 PM
Fan Forum Star

^ I am with you on that. I wish the second movie had been longer, to better establish the villain and give more screentime to some of the secondary characters. Sif and Fandral had a few scenes, but still way too little, and Volstagg and Hogun were barely there.

blue light - The Dark World is a lot of fun, although some parts feel rushed and the villain and his minions are pretty forgettable.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:52 AM
Nad
Fan Forum Hero

I still need to watch the second movie
Old 01-23-2014, 12:17 PM
Fan Forum Star

Did you enjoy the first, Nad?

The Dark World comes out in Bluray next month.
I'm curious to see some of the deleted scenes they've put in the extras. And there is a gag reel - yesss.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:52 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Watched The Dark World the other day. Which apparently I missed a few scenes between and after the credits.

It's ok if nobody wants to, but maybe turn this into a Marvel Comics Movie thread?

April
Old 06-12-2014, 11:08 PM
Fan Forum Legend

That sounds like a good idea. A general Marvel comics movie thread instead of all these specific threads which don't get much action during the hiatus between films.

One thing about Thor that I wished the filmmakers had done is to incorporate the Dr. Donald Blake character into the movie. Odin didn't just strip Thor of his powers and immortality, he took away his memories as well, and put him in the body of a mortal man named Donald Blake, a physician who suffered from leg injury and had to walk with a cane. Odin did this so that Thor could learn that true heroism comes from wisdom, compassion, and humanity as much as bravery and strength. This humanized Thor at the beginning and made him a lot more relatable, and when he finally regained his memories as well as his powers he finally became the hero Odin wished him to be. I really wished Marvel had worked that storyline into the movie instead of omitting it.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:27 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I've noticed that on general boards, specific threads don't get a lot of traffic. Or they do if something new comes out.

That's interesting and would of been neat to see.

April
Old 06-16-2014, 07:49 PM
New Fan

I'm already excited to watch the second movie.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:09 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I think I liked it a lot better than the first one.

April
Old 06-28-2014, 08:01 PM
Fan Forum Star

I like both for different reasons, but I felt both the story and the editing in the second lacked something - Malekith wasn't fleshed out at all as a character and the cuts between dramatic and funny scenes didn't always work for me.

I actually like that Thor learnt his lessons and connected with humans without the need to lose his memories, in a way it made his growth more poignant to me, even if a bit rushed because he went from spoiled prince to humbled hero in the span of a week or less. The time issue is probably why they dropped the Donald Blake arc.

ETA - I was almost forgetting - I'm fine with turning this into a general MCU thread, too.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread