Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2019, 03:35 AM
Passionate Fan

I loved Cameron much better than O'Neill, so for me personally Cameron replacing him in the series was a big relief for me. Like I mentioned before, I found O'Neill to be very annoying most of the time. I also liked General Landry, he was likable and unique character, he was much less annoying than O'Neill and I liked him even more than general Hammond, although I liked Hammond too.
I liked Vala in the beginning, but after a while her character became more & more annoying to me, so I don't really like her much.

Overall the new characters were great and I grew fond of them very quickly, with the exception of Vala, but I love Cameron and Landry.
LindaL100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:06 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I really liked Landry too, although I missed Hammond.

I liked Vala, and enjoyed her story arc. I can see why you could find her annoying though! I saw the extremes of her behaviour as a defence mechanism though. Always pushing people away so they wouldn't get close to her. I think she carried a lot of pain and guilt from when she was taken over by a goa'uld, and that's why I had sympathy with her.
Old 04-19-2020, 02:23 PM
Obsessed Fan

Thread bump.

I was in need of something else to watch beyond The Expanse and Star Trek Discovery, and so I decided to start SG-1 from the beginning, which is not something I've ever done previously (I have seen the odd SG-1 episode here and there, though), and wanted someplace to share my thoughts on the episodes as I go, starting with the 2-part Pilot, "Children of the Gods":
* Brad Wright and Jonathan Glassner do a fairly good job of trying to succinctly recap the Stargate movie, but there are enough differences between the mythology established by the movie and the mythology that SG-1 and its spinoffs ultimately establish that I couldn't escape the feeling that SG-1 ought to have started by retelling the movie's story verbatim as the Pilot of the series and then launched into the story these episodes tell

* That aside, though, the cast members who step into the roles of the characters that return from the film (Richard Dean Anderson as O'Neill, Michael Shanks as Daniel, Jay Acovone as Kowalsky, Brent Stait as Ferretti, and Vaitiare Bandera as Sha're) do a good job in making said roles their own, even if we don't actually see much of any of said characters aside from O'Neill and Daniel

* By modern storytelling standards, Teal'c turning his back on his fellow Jaffa and their Goa'uld masters seems to come out of nowhere, but Christopher Judge sells what he has to work with well enough that it's still believable enough to work as a narrative element

* Sam Carter's introduction works largely because of Amanda Tapping's no-nonsense sass, but could've worked better if context had been given to Kowalsky, Ferretti, and Major Samuels' dismissiveness towards her in the same way that O'Neill's dismissiveness towards her was

* Speaking of O'Neill's dismissive attitude towards her, I couldn't help but see it as a 'front' knowing the romantic relationship that ultimately builds between them in later seasons

* I almost immediately liked General Hammond, and felt like his initial gruffness towards O'Neill was the perfect way to organically facilitate the resumption of O'Neill's career and the second mission to Abydos

* Given the way that the TV franchise completely altered the nature of the Goa'uld, the two episodes needed to spend more time with them so that Sha're and Skaara's possessions carried more emotional weight

Given the storytelling decisions that were made by Wright and Glassner, the two "Children of the Gods" episodes are actually quite good and are perfectly serviceable as an introduction to the Stargate TV franchise, although, as noted, there are things about them that could have been executed differently in order to make them better, esp when they're analyzed with the benefit of hindsight.

"Change, my dear(s). And not a moment too soon. She is the Doctor, whether you like it or not." - Colin Baker on Jodie Whittaker
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 11:20 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for your analysis. That pilot does require a knowledge of the film, but also there are significant differences in the way the stargate works in the TV show for example, which had to be done I think.

I have to agree with your comments they all seem to be reasonable reactions. The pilot also is in my opinion far more edgier and adult than the series was after that, but it serves well to set up the characters and the situation I suppose. Things like Daniel's allergies are largely forgotten afterwards, for example!

I look forward to hearing more of your reactions.
Old 04-20-2020, 05:36 PM
Obsessed Fan

Thoughts on "The Enemy Within":
* For all of the niggles I had with the execution of certain things in "Children of the Gods", SG-1 hits the ground running with this episode, fully integrating Teal'c into the series while simultaneously solidifying Brad Wright and Jonathan Glassner's new mythology for the Goa'uld and making us fearful of the species in a way that the Pilot didn't

* I've seen enough of SG-1 to know that the series gets a lot of mileage out of stories involving SGC/the SG-1 team being pitted against "outsider a-holes", so seeing the origin of this "trope" was both fun and fascinating

* Kowalsky's death here might have carried even more weight if we'd seen more of Jay Acovone's take on the character, but it's still pretty powerful and effective as a way of "setting the stakes"

* I was listening to an SG-1 podcast called There's No Place Like Terra where the hosts were kind of lampooning how quickly Sam just drops after Goa'uld Kowalsky throws her around in the SGC elevator, but knowing that Amanda Tapping suffered a legitimate concussion during the filming of the scene makes it hard not to feel the gravity of the situation

* Establishing that there is a way to at least attempt to free a person from Goa'uld control - even if said way wasn't truly successful - is a nice way of getting audiences to at least hold on to the hope of possibly rescuing Sha're and Skaara, while simultaneously narrative seeding that possibility for Daniel's character and further setting his resolve to get Sha're back

* It'd be real easy to look at the scene where O'Neill jokes about wanting Kowalsky's stereo if he does on the operating table and take it at face value as an example of Richard Dean Anderson being flippant and snarky, but I think a 'read' like that kind of dismisses O'Neill as a character, even this early and doesn't do justice to the decision that O'Neill ultimately makes to kill Goa'uld Kawalsky using the Stargate

"The Enemy Within" isn't really the kind of episode that you might expect a show that is just barely starting to solidify its own take on the Stargate IP to tackle in only its third episode, but that's ultimately why it works as well as it does.

"Change, my dear(s). And not a moment too soon. She is the Doctor, whether you like it or not." - Colin Baker on Jodie Whittaker

Last edited by DigificWriter; 04-21-2020 at 05:30 PM
Old 04-21-2020, 01:06 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Great review! Glad you enjoyed it so much.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:24 PM
Obsessed Fan

After several days of real life getting in the way, I've finally had a chance to get back to my own SG-1 watch-through, and have a lot of thoughts on Episode 1x04, "Emancipation", that are more than likely going to put me in a very distinct minority, but here we go:
* I actually like that the episode puts our team into a situation where they're faced with an Earth-based culture that, to them, is completely foreign and "outdated", especially coming as early in the series' run as it does, not only because it helps establish a sort of pattern, but also because it helps them mesh as a team

* I don't have a problem with the male-first cultures presented in the episode or with the ways that said cultures force Carter out of her comfort zone and into a role she's not accustomed to or comfortable with; where I think the episode fails is that it makes her so combative and resistant to said cultures in a way that doesn't serve any real purpose and actually puts her and her teammates in active danger

* Abu is a foolish idiot for behaving the way that he does in kidnapping Carter and trading her to Turghan, but the expedient thing for Carter to have done in the situation in which she finds herself was to go along with the cultural norms of the planet in order to keep herself alive and afford herself an opportunity to actually get out of the situation without getting herself or anyone else hurt, and the fact that she can't bring herself to do that just makes her seem obstinate and, to be honest, ignorant and naive in a way that has nothing to do with her gender but doesn't mesh with her character as established either in the first 3 episodes of the series or in later episodes and later seasons and does far more harm than good

* I need to give props to Jack and Daniel in this episode for their behavior and the ways they're able to think on their feet (especially Daniel) in a situation that clearly isn't ideal for any of them but that presents an opportunity that they're not going to get again if they don't take it. Daniel is especially proficient at coming up with things to say to Turghan about Carter during the scene where they and Moughal are trying to negotiate her freedom

* Speaking of Jack, I think this episode represents another early example of his attraction to Sam that manifests itself in the way he reacts to seeing her in a dress and the way he's unwilling to let her get hurt. which adds some fun layers to his character when viewed through that lens

* Daniel having to 'translate' Moughal's talk about 'madness' was probably meant to be funny, but it again makes Carter seem a bit naive and ignorant, which is problematic for reasons not at all related to her gender

* I think it was too early to drop a reference to adventures that we as an audience never got to see, although Carter cutting off Jack before he could finish his sentence was an admittedly funny moment

* Amanda Tapping is a genuine badass and the fight she gets into with Cary Hiroyuki-Tagawa is well-executed, but I find it problematic because, narratively, it puts people in unnecessary danger without any true guarantee of success. I get that the character of Carter is personally repulsed by what Turghan does to the women of his tribe and wants to keep Nya from being killed, but it's really not her place - as an outsider - to challenge that (it's not actually any of our team's place to challenge that, regardless of their gender)

* Even though Carter sticks herself into a situation she has no business interfering in, I do like that her actions end up giving others who are part of the Simkaran culture - like Moughal - the incentive and precedent to make a decision to change the status quo of things, even if said status quo change is limited

Overall, I don't think this episode in any way deserves to be considered the worst of the series, even though it does have some problems in terms of how it crafts its narrative... most of which have to do with the SG-1 team being "strangers in a strange land" and behaving in ways that are reckless and/or dangerous to themselves and others rather than anything explicitly related to the gender of Carter's character or the oppressive cultures of Simkara's inhabitants.

Last edited by DigificWriter; 04-30-2020 at 03:55 PM
Old 04-30-2020, 01:22 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the review.

Interesting points there. I think there is merit to what you are saying. It's always interesting to have episodes which reflect on other cultures, and gender roles in particular. I think part of the reason for Carter's actions were to establish Carter's character with the audience as a member of the military as well as a woman.

I actually quite like this episode.
Old 09-26-2020, 11:43 PM
Passionate Fan

So I finally finished Stargate Atlantis, it took me a long time to finish that series because I had so many other things to watch too. And while I thoroughly enjoyed Atlantis and I do like the new characters and I particularly loved season 4 when Sam Carter was the commander of the Atlantis expedition. But I think I still prefer SG-1 more overall, I still love the SG-1 characters more. But I'm glad I watched Atlantis...now onto Stargate Universe, I heard the tone of Universe is much more serious and different and less comedic compared to SG-1 and Atlantis, it would be interesting to see how different it is for myself...

Last edited by LindaL100; 09-26-2020 at 11:46 PM Reason: SA
Old 09-27-2020, 01:25 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Glad you enjoyed it!

Yes Universe is quite different. It doesn't really get into its stride until season 2 which is why it was a shame it was cancelled so soon. I would have loved for them to have made more of it.
Old 10-03-2020, 11:20 AM
The Dark Knight

Moderator of ...
DC Extended Universe

Love stargate, all of their shows and films.

Ys it was a shame, but I heard mgm was in financial trouble back then and the ratings were low. Indeed they couldn't even finish the two last films for atlantis and sg1 that would've respectively seen atlantis return to pegasus and the stargate program be revealed to the public and carter and oneal actually starting a relationship. Joseph Malozzi wrote a bit about those projects on his blog years ago.
Arrakis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 01:28 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Oh yes, the collapse of MGM caused a pain for me.

It was awful for Universe though as SyFy didn't even show the second half of season 2. I think it was just hitting its stride in that part of the story, too.
Old 10-18-2020, 02:29 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Never read that blog sorrry.
~My top ships: Brennan/Booth, Shamy, Penny/Leonard, Buffy/Angel, Willow/Tara, Valerie/David, Kelly/Dylan, Monica/Chandler, Ross/Rachel, Angela/Hodgins, Piper/Leo, Jessica/James~Hanna/Caleb, Michael/Ash ~Thanks for 12 years of TBBT!~Aspie~ big Sheldon Cooper Fan~
BlackWhiteRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 11:49 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Me neither.
Old 10-21-2020, 06:05 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis (View Post)
Love stargate, all of their shows and films.

Ys it was a shame, but I heard mgm was in financial trouble back then and the ratings were low. Indeed they couldn't even finish the two last films for atlantis and sg1 that would've respectively seen atlantis return to pegasus and the stargate program be revealed to the public and carter and oneal actually starting a relationship. Joseph Malozzi wrote a bit about those projects on his blog years ago.
I think the lower ratings was partially due to them having to compete against 'Battlestar Galactica' which was becoming increasingly more popular at the time. I am disappointed that the 3rd movie for SG-1 and the Atlantis movies never got made, but I'm happy with what we got, the 'Ark of Truth' finished the Ori arc for SG-1 and it tied all the loose ends very neatly, and 'Continuum' was a good standalone movie with all the original and new characters together and served as a good ending for the SG-1 series. Although none of the planned movies for Atlantis were ever made, but I think the series finale still served as a good ending for Atlantis.
Reply   Post New Thread