Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2010, 12:46 AM
Obsessed Fan

I'm a very proud owner right now. Joe Flanigan had a dog contest on Twitter and my dog Brutus won!!! Joe likes my dog
And the winner by technical knockout is........ on Twitpic T-Dawg 1: Twitter dogs contest by Joe Flanigan The Flan Info

Misha's Minion
My LJ Kender's Twitter
Old 08-24-2010, 06:02 AM
Nad
Fan Forum Hero

Oh, how neat Congratulations to you and your dog!
Old 08-26-2010, 12:30 PM
Fan Forum Hero

That's really cool.
Congrats.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:39 PM
Elite Fan

That's great
Old 09-19-2010, 06:19 AM
Elite Fan

Congrats

I don't think my dog has ever won anything
Old 10-03-2010, 10:43 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Did he ever compete in anything?
Old 10-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneLady (View Post)
Did he ever compete in anything?
Good point, no she hasn't. Maybe I'll volunteer my dog to be in the background of some sci-fi show (as a selfish way to maybe get me to be an extra as well ).
Old 10-03-2010, 01:16 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Oh yeah, as some person walking their dog in the background.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:02 PM
Absolute Fan

Hi, everybody. I hope I'm not violating board/forum rules by reviving this thread, but I recently decided to do a first-time watch-through of Atlantis and, given that these forums are usually really active, I thought this might be the ideal place to post my thoughts.

I'm going to start by posting some thoughts on the similarities and differences between SGA and SG-1, thoughts on the characters, and a brief review of Rising.

SG-1 vs. SGA: The similarities and differences
Because it's a spinoff, you'd automatically expect SGA to be similar to SG-1, and it certainly is in many respects. However, I noticed almost from the get-go that SGA has a more 'ensemble' feel to it. I also got a distinctly serialized procedural-esque vibe from the series premiere, Rising, as well, in contrast to SG-1, which is very much a Sci-Fi action adventure serial.

My thoughts on the characters
I really like the characters of Atlantis, both main and recurring. The main characters all feel familiar and very much evoke comparisons to their SG-1 counterparts, although they don't correspond to the characters you'd expect them to based on their individual roles. What do I mean? Here's an analysis of the main SGA characters with accompanying comparisons to their SG-1 counterparts:

Elizabeth Weir
Because she's the person in charge of the Atlantis expedition, you'd expect her to evoke comparisons to Generals Hammond and O'Neill, at least in terms of her role, but, instead, she evokes comparisons to Daniel Jackson due to her intellect and intuititive approach to things, something that is immediately apparent right from her introduction in Lost City and carried right on through to SGA.

John Sheppard
Although he is very much the Jack O'Neill of SGA in terms of his role as the field commander for the Atlantis 'gate team', Sheppard actually reminds me more of Samantha Carter in that he's very much the 2iC when it comes to the Atlantis expedition as a whole. He's also very similar to Carter in terms of temperament.

Rodney McKay

Although it's not truly evident in his SG-1 appearances, McKay is very much the Jack O'Neill of the show when it comes to his temperament and status as the 'wit' of the show, although his role is very much to be a combination of Daniel Jackson and Samantha Carter as the 'brains' of the group, creating a very interesting character dynamic and dichotomy.

Teyla
Teyla is clearly meant to be the 'Teal'c' of the show in that she's its 'resident alien', but she actually reminds me more of Sha're, particularly if you take into consideration the role that Sha're had in the original Stargate movie as opposed to her role in SG-1.

Aiden Ford
Aiden is really the only main character of SGA who doesn't have a direct counterpart from SG-1 in terms of his role, although he does remind me a little bit of Jonas Quinn.

My review of Rising
Rising is an episode that has to do a plethora of different things - introduce the main and major recurring characters; set up the premise of the series; serve as an introduction to the world of Stargate in case viewers tune in without having seen the Stargate movie or SG-1; and establish SGA as more than just a retread of SG-1 in a slightly different setting - and it could've been a massive convoluted mess if not handled and executed correctly.

Luckily, it doesn't collapse under its own weight because of the strength of the story it tells. The plot builds at just the right speed and we get enough information about each of the major characters to make them interesting while still leaving room for growth and development in future episodes. It also feels very much like a feature-length film in its structural narrative, and reminded me very much of the original Stargate movie.

P.S.: Mods, if reviving this thread is against forum rules, go ahead and delete this post.
"Two hearts. One happy. One sad." - Thirteenth Doctor
Old 10-10-2013, 10:56 AM
Master Fan

SGA corner of the internets!

Just wanted to let you know that Torri Higginson is in a play in Toronto - come out if you're around!! And we have a kickstarter going that has some neat SGA perks. here!
Old 05-24-2015, 03:38 PM
Elite Fan

I've just been reminiscing about my love of this show. I'm still devastated we never got the movie for it.

I tried reading the legacy books to cure my ill. while they could be a good read for some i didn't particularly like them. For me they took one of my least favorite episodes of the entire series and turned it into an ongoing saga that seems to never end.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:07 PM
Fan Forum Star

aw, that's too bad
But anyway, thanks for sharing. If you're a SF/F fan, I hope to see you visit here often.

New! Benedict Cumberbatch Forum

~Sherry | avi by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 05-27-2015, 12:55 PM
Elite Fan

I loved SGA!!! Todd the Wraith was my favorite recurring baddie! hahahaha!!
Old 08-24-2015, 12:33 PM
Fan Forum Star

Love that show!
Rodney is my favourite character because he´s so nerdy! Just love him!
I own all the seasons on DVD and I started rewatching the show. Now I`m on Season 4.
~My top ships:Brennan/Booth, Amy/Sheldon, Penny/Leonard, Angela/Hodgins, Gabrielle/Carlos, Piper/Leo, Buffy/Angel, Willow/Tara, Spike/Drusilla, Wesley/Fred, Janet/Steve, Clare/Steve, Kelly/Brandon, Kira/Odo, Ezri/Bashir, Jadzia/Worf, Troi/Riker, Hannah Caleb, Spencer/Toby, Bree/Trip~Thanks for 12 years of TBBT!~Aspie~ big Sheldon Cooper Fan~Icon by Code Green~I don´t care what complete strangers think of me because I don´t know them at all ~
Old 08-28-2015, 01:19 AM
Elite Fan

I loved Ronan, Teyla, Sheppard, sometimes Rodney, and Todd the Wraith! LOL!
Closed Thread   Post New Thread