Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2018, 08:15 PM
New Fan

Star Trek vrs. Star Wars

Which of them is in worse shape? and which will be around longer and eventually devour the other?
Caserta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 06:42 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

Personally, I always preferred Star Trek as it seems more realistic. But I'm aware that SW has always had a bigger fanbase.
They can both keep on going forever!
Old 09-22-2018, 07:32 AM
Fan Forum Hero

This a hard question for me, as I love them both in different ways. I like how they are different in their idea of how a society would work in an advanced technological situation. Star Trek is very much an optimistic idea of humans being united in a common cause, but Star Wars has all the political double-dealing we have in society today.

I think both fandoms are remaining very healthy at this point, and whilst they are both having new stuff made, they will continue to do so. Star Trek has enormous staying power after just 3 seasons in the 1960s; it is still being reinvented today in different ways. Whether Star Wars can achieve the same I don't know. I hope it can.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:40 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

I enjoy both franchises. Personally, I feel that Star Trek has done a better job reinventing itself, especially with the various tv series. For Star Wars, I'm an Original Trilogy fan. Some of the subsequent movies have been enjoyable, but haven't really measured up to the originals.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:04 AM
Fan Forum Hero

That is very true, Chris. The potential was there with those Star Wars films, but would have been better with some editing. However I'm really enjoying the new Star Wars films, and direction they are going in.

Star Trek has done a good job of reinventing itself.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:15 PM
Total Fan

I think the Star Wars franchise is in more trouble, given the massive backlash against Battlefront II and The Last Jedi, and the failure of Solo. Star Trek isn't as big, but it also isn't as divisive.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:41 AM
Fan Forum Star

I prefer Star Trek. It was the first science fiction I ever watched. On Star Trek there is not only pure god and pure evil there are also characters who are between good and evil like Garak from Deep Space Nine, Seven of Nine from Voyager (former Borg drone who did what the two very interesting characters. And not to forget Q who was very interesting and funny.

I watched Star Wars episode 1-3 which wasn`t such a good idea. I didn`t really enjoy the first two and the third was just fine. I mean I don`t hate it at all I just wouldn`t become a fan of that. Yoda is cute, RD2 is okay, Darth Maul yeah okay. The light sabers yeah they´re quite nice. There is almost nothing there that fascinates me.
~My top ships:Brennan/Booth, Amy/Sheldon, Penny/Leonard, Angela/Hodgins, Gabrielle/Carlos, Piper/Leo, Buffy/Angel, Willow/Tara, Spike/Drusilla, Wesley/Fred, Janet/Steve, Clare/Steve, Kelly/Brandon, Kira/Odo, Ezri/Bashir, Jadzia/Worf, Troi/Riker, Hannah Caleb, Spencer/Toby, Bree/Trip~Thanks for 12 years of TBBT!~Aspie~ big Sheldon Cooper Fan~ Team Shannen and Holly~Icon by Code Green~I don´t care what complete strangers think of me because I don´t know them at all ~
BlackWhiteRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 05:48 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Have you not watched the original trilogy? Now called episodes 4-6. I'm probably lucky in that I'm old enough to have grown up with those films and didn't see the prequels first. Phantom Menace especially suffered from being over long, and the story didn't come together so well in the episodes 1 and 2.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:52 AM
Fan Forum Star

No I did not. Maybe I would have liked them. I`m an 80s child.
~My top ships:Brennan/Booth, Amy/Sheldon, Penny/Leonard, Angela/Hodgins, Gabrielle/Carlos, Piper/Leo, Buffy/Angel, Willow/Tara, Spike/Drusilla, Wesley/Fred, Janet/Steve, Clare/Steve, Kelly/Brandon, Kira/Odo, Ezri/Bashir, Jadzia/Worf, Troi/Riker, Hannah Caleb, Spencer/Toby, Bree/Trip~Thanks for 12 years of TBBT!~Aspie~ big Sheldon Cooper Fan~ Team Shannen and Holly~Icon by Code Green~I don´t care what complete strangers think of me because I don´t know them at all ~
BlackWhiteRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:19 AM
Fan Forum Hero

You might do, it's worth considering. The best film in the series in my opinion is The Empire Strikes Back.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:59 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Claire - Episode 4, A New Hope will always be my favourite.

Betty - you should definitely try to watch the original trilogy - episodes 4-6. To me, they're the best of the franchise. Episode 4 in particular pioneered a lot of special effects that we now take for granted.

Mori - there's been some backlash from Star Trek fans about the Kelvin timeline in the new movies. Personally, I've enjoyed them., Although the casting of Benedict Cumberbatch as Khan was rather questionable. Cumberbatch was a terrific villain, just not Khan.
Old 09-28-2018, 01:11 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Episode 4 is really good Chris I agree. (It'll always be called 'Star Wars' to me though! )

I don't get the backlash from fans on either franchise. I think it's great they've both been re-invented. The Kelvin timeline is a fresh way of getting a new cast into the roles we know so well, but not be tied down to the massive continuity of the previous incarnation.

I really enjoyed The Last Jedi and Solo. They were great fun films to watch for me.

I get what you're saying about Benedict, Chris. For me though I love him so much I don't care it's not true to the character of Khan!
Old 09-28-2018, 05:10 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

Benedict is a national treasure!
Old 09-28-2018, 12:42 PM
Fan Forum Hero

He really is!
Old 10-12-2018, 09:11 AM
Absolute Fan

I much prefer Star Trek...although I've only watched the reboot movies so far, but they were enough for me to love the franchise I do plan on watching the original TV series in the future too.

I have never been a fan of SW, I watched a few of the movies and never understood the appeal of them.
LindaL100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread