Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2006, 05:14 AM
Elite Fan

Has anyone ever tried to keep up with the scifi channel's forums?

I tried the bsg board one time....in one day, they'll have 5 pages worth of new posts....that's insane. In a way, I'm glad that we're a little slower, less trash on the boards, more quality. At least I like to hope so.
Vampires don't "sparkle" in the sun: they screech in horror, burst into flame and wither to ash.
Cryostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 06:49 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
The whole emphasis on shipping was completely new to me, it's not something I'd encountered on other boards.
It was new to me too. I first joined FF through the Roswell board. The shipper groups were insane back then. Dreamers, Candygirls, Rebels, Stargazers etc.... They even had a group for plotholes/continuity errors (called the Chads) and for non shippers (Loners or Castaways).

Quote:

They could have made Underworld into a TV show. I guess they still could, that would be cool.
I love that idea. It would have to be different from the movies though to stay within budget....and it wouldn't be that much of a stretch to try this. IMO The Highlander series was more interesting than the movies. Dead Zone series was better than the movie. And the best example....Buffy the Vampire Slayer was sooooo much better(and different) than the cheesy movie with Kristy Swanson.

Quote:
Are DVD's changing this? People can actually catch up? Word of Mouth?

Although a show does need to be a hit to get out on DVD, so I guess we are still at square one
I'd like to believe DVDs do have an impact. The ability to download episodes from the internet is also useful for creating buzz in places that don't officially air US series yet.

Quote:

I tried the bsg board one time....in one day, they'll have 5 pages worth of new posts....that's insane. In a way, I'm glad that we're a little slower, less trash on the boards, more quality. At least I like to hope so.
In my experience the "official" message boards run by networks/corporations are uh...pretty awful. Often they do not moderate, the software is cheap, duplicate threads grow like weeds, members insult each other and the postings are just not as informative as those found on independent fan sites. The only draw to posting on a network MB is if the producers or actors answer questions. One of the reasons I've stayed at FF so long is because the environment is so friendly and organized that it makes it easy to post and find information. It's also nice to have moderators who actually moderate.
thescoobygang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 06:49 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
The whole emphasis on shipping was completely new to me, it's not something I'd encountered on other boards.
It was new to me too. I first joined FF through the Roswell board. The shipper groups were insane back then. Dreamers, Candygirls, Rebels, Stargazers etc.... They even had a group for plotholes/continuity errors (called the Chads) and for non shippers (Loners or Castaways).

Quote:

They could have made Underworld into a TV show. I guess they still could, that would be cool.
I love that idea. It would have to be different from the movies though to stay within budget....and it wouldn't be that much of a stretch to try this. IMO The Highlander series was more interesting than the movies. Dead Zone series was better than the movie. And the best example....Buffy the Vampire Slayer was sooooo much better(and different) than the cheesy movie with Kristy Swanson.

Quote:
Are DVD's changing this? People can actually catch up? Word of Mouth?

Although a show does need to be a hit to get out on DVD, so I guess we are still at square one
I'd like to believe DVDs do have an impact. The ability to download episodes from the internet is also useful for creating buzz in places that don't officially air US series yet.

Quote:

In my experience the "official" message boards run by networks/corporations are uh...pretty awful. Often they do not moderate, the software is cheap, duplicate threads grow like weeds, members insult each other and the postings are just not as informative as those found on independent fan sites. The only draw to posting on a network MB is if the producers or actors answer questions. One of the reasons I've stayed at FF so long is because the environment is so friendly and organized that it makes it easy to post and find information. It's also nice to have moderators who actually moderate.
thescoobygang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 01:37 PM
Master Fan

OK If we were going to make Underworld into a TV series...

Quick, cast it!!

Who would play who?
Merlin_Bodhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 01:37 PM
Master Fan

OK If we were going to make Underworld into a TV series...

Quick, cast it!!

Who would play who?
Old 06-07-2006, 07:55 PM
Elite Fan

Jessica Alba as Selene....that's just wishing though.
Vampires don't "sparkle" in the sun: they screech in horror, burst into flame and wither to ash.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:55 PM
Elite Fan

Jessica Alba as Selene....that's just wishing though.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:59 PM
Master Fan

Cryostar, I thought of that too. Wishing is totally allowed, keep going!!
Old 06-07-2006, 09:59 PM
Master Fan

Cryostar, I thought of that too. Wishing is totally allowed, keep going!!
Old 06-09-2006, 05:39 PM
Elite Fan

After seeing her in Alias, Amy Acker might make a good Selene
Old 06-09-2006, 05:39 PM
Elite Fan

After seeing her in Alias, Amy Acker might make a good Selene
Old 06-09-2006, 08:29 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

I guess I'm in the minority, but I really don't want SF to go mainstream. I would like shows to continue to be on the air, but IMO, you'd have to water things down too much for the lowest common denominator to get a mainstream audience. But then, I don't really like Lost, Firefly, or the new BSG much, so I'm just weird. I love the new Doctor Who and I'm glad to hear it is doing so well in the UK- and it makes me wonder what's up with North American audiences that we can't be as supportive of quality SF shows.

The only thing I ask for is to not be disrespected for liking science fiction. I get sick of people putting me down for liking it and I get tired of the sexist comments I get because I'm a female SF fan.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:29 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

I guess I'm in the minority, but I really don't want SF to go mainstream. I would like shows to continue to be on the air, but IMO, you'd have to water things down too much for the lowest common denominator to get a mainstream audience. But then, I don't really like Lost, Firefly, or the new BSG much, so I'm just weird. I love the new Doctor Who and I'm glad to hear it is doing so well in the UK- and it makes me wonder what's up with North American audiences that we can't be as supportive of quality SF shows.

The only thing I ask for is to not be disrespected for liking science fiction. I get sick of people putting me down for liking it and I get tired of the sexist comments I get because I'm a female SF fan.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:42 PM
Elite Fan

I would just like to see sci fi with the big budget that other shows get.....can you image the ideas that could be shown for 1.5 million dollars an episode.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:42 PM
Elite Fan

I would just like to see sci fi with the big budget that other shows get.....can you image the ideas that could be shown for 1.5 million dollars an episode.
Reply   Post New Thread