Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2003, 11:12 PM
Master Fan

[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] Good question Lirael. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

(damn, I managed to use two smilies in three words...i'm losing my literary writing style, hehehehe)

Magic: DAMN! I envy you! I wanted to go to that but the entrance fee and everything and membership is just way out of reach for a poor soon-to-be-in-university student such as me. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Hehehe. That thing with Saddam Hussein is highly amusing. I think I would be creeped out as well, but I guess it really depended on what the painting was of no?

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] And interestingly enough, I went and searched for the difference between a novella and novellette and here's what I found:

Quote:
According to swfa.org:

SFWA Nebula rules say a short story is 7499 words or fewer, novelette 7500-17,499, novella 17,500-39,999, novel 40,000 or more.
I can't believe they even bother counting.
Old 04-20-2003, 07:45 PM
Master Fan

I'm imagining hundreds of little goblins sitting and crankily counting out each word. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]
Seven thousand and forty-three, seven thousand and forty-four, seven thousand and -- Shhh! Rufus, you're distracting me! Now I've lost my place you...gah. One, two, three, four...

Hmm. But that is very useful information [img]smilies/look.gif[/img] Would it be considered cheating if you send your piece in as a novella when really you know it's a novellette? (The scandal of it all.)

That must be very unsettling, to know your work is hanging in the palace of such a horrible man. Ew. I'd feel like, That's not what I made it for.

[ 04-20-2003: Message edited Lirael ]
e. e. cummings - somewhere i have never traveled
Old 04-21-2003, 10:13 AM
Absolute Fan

Nebula Winners Named

The Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America announced the winners of the 2002 Nebula Awards at its annual Nebula banquet on April 19 in Philadelphia. Members of the SFWA vote for the Nebula Awards, which reward literary excellence in science fiction and fantasy. Members of SFWA include most professional writers working in the field. A list of winners follows.

Best Novel

•American Gods by Neil Gaiman

Best Novella

•"Bronte’s Egg" by Richard Chwedyk

Best Novelette

•"Hell is the Absence of God" by Ted Chiang

Best Short Story

•"Creature" by Carol Emshwiller

Best Script

•The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring by Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens and Peter Jackson
Old 04-21-2003, 02:51 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

There were two other awards handed out at the Nebula Ceremony that weren't mentioned. Ursula K. Le Guin became the second female Grand Master and Katherine MacLean was awarded Author Emeritus.

For more information about these two awards, here are the links on the SFWA sites about them: http://www.sfwa.org/awards/author.htm http://www.sfwa.org/awards/grand.htm

[ 04-21-2003: Message edited Soz ]
Old 04-21-2003, 03:03 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Soz:
<STRONG>There were two other awards handed out at the Nebula Ceremony that weren't mentioned. Ursula K. Le Guin became the second female Grand Master and Katherine MacLean was awarded Author Emeritus.</STRONG>
LOL, how are us Sci-Fi buffs ever supposed to shake the geek image if even our awards sound geeky [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 04-21-2003, 03:21 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Timeo:
<STRONG>I can't believe they even bother counting.</STRONG>
I'm not sure if the Nebula committee does bother to count, I think it's up to the authors (or their editors) to submit their works in the right categories. Most word processing software has a word count function, so the authors don't have to sit there and count each word. Some people may say that it's all short fiction, so why bother distinguishing between short story, novellette, and novella, but there are subtle differences in storytelling technique between all three categories.

Although it wasn't a deliberate attempt to submit something that wasn't eligible, here's some information about a book that was disqualified from last year's Nebula Awards: http://www.sfwa.org/News/declare.htm. Also, last year's Nebula winner The Quantum Rose by Catherine Asaro was a novella first in Analog Magazine, then it was expanded to a full novel. The novella was nominated for the Nebula, but Asaro withdrew the novella in favor of the novel. Both versions would not have been eligible at the same time.
Old 04-22-2003, 01:19 PM
Absolute Fan

BSFA Winners Announced

The winners of the British Science Fiction Association Awards were announced April 20 at Seacon '03, the 54th U.K. National Easter Science Fiction Convention in Hinckley, Leicestershire. The awards were presented at a ceremony hosted by John Jarrold. The winners were voted on by members of the BSFA and by members of the Eastercon. A list of winners follows.

Best Novel

•The Separation by Christopher Priest

Best Short Fiction

•"Coraline" by Neil Gaiman

Best Artwork

•Interzone 179 cover by Dominic Harman

Best Related Publication

•Introduction to Maps: The Uncollected John Sladek by Ken Macleod

What can I say, It's awards season everywhere!
Old 04-22-2003, 01:23 PM
Absolute Fan

Hmmm ...Is FF acting up???

First it would not post, and then it posted TWICE!!

[ 04-22-2003: Message edited Magic ]
Old 04-22-2003, 01:59 PM
Extreme Fan

BTW, did Interzone go bankrupt? Because I can't seem to find an updated official page.

That would be too depressing. It was like the only SciFi mag I liked. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

I know that Asimov's is still out there, what about others? Any recommendations?
Old 04-23-2003, 01:15 PM
Absolute Fan

LolaRunsI will ask about Interzone while I'm at Jersey Devil Con this weekend.
Someone there should know [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

www.jerseydevilcon.com
Old 04-28-2003, 02:55 PM
Absolute Fan

Any Australian fans want to be an extra in the newest Star Wars film?
Soon to be shooting in Sydney

http://www.maurafay.com.au/casting/c..._frameset.html
Old 05-20-2003, 03:43 PM
Absolute Fan

2003 Saturn Awards Winners
Best Sci-Fi Film - "Minority Report"
Best Fantasy Film - ”The Lord Of the Rings: The Two Towers”
Best Animated Film - "Spirited Away"
Best Action Film - "Road To Perdition"
Best Horror Film - "The Ring".
Best Director - Steven Spielberg ("Minority Report")
Best Actor - Robin Williams ("One Hour Photo")
Best Actress to Naomi Watts ("The Ring")
Best Supporting Actor - Andy Serkis, Samantha Morton.
Best Network TV Series- "Alias"
Best Cable Series- "Farscape"
Best TV Program Presentation - "Taken"
Best Acting Awards went to the following people
Jennifer Garner, David Boreanaz, Nathan Fillon and Emma Caufield
In the DVD catagory - "E.T.", "Dog Soldiers", "Star Trek: The Next Generation" and "LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring" Extended Edition
Old 05-21-2003, 03:39 AM
Master Fan

Thanks for posting those Magic.

SFX have just had their annual awards too.

Best Science Fiction or Fantasy film - The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
Best Science Fiction or Fantasy film actor - Vigo Mortensen for The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
Best Science Fiction or Fantasy film actress - Kirstin Dunst for Spider-Man
Best Science Fiction or Fantasy film director - Peter Jackson for The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
Best Science Fiction or Fantasy film score - Howard Shore for The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
Best Science Fiction or Fantasy Show - Buffy The Vampire Slayer
Best New Science Fiction or Fantasy Show - The Dead Zone
Most Improved Science Fiction or Fantasy Show - Angel
Best episode of a Science Fiction or Fantasy Show - Buffy: Once More, With feeling
Best Newcomer - Michael Rosenbaum for Smallville
Best Science Fiction or Fantasy actor - James Marsters for Buffy
Best Science Fiction or Fantasy actress - Alyson Hannigan for Buffy
Best Science Fiction or Fantasy book (fiction) - Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse by Robert Rankin
Best Science Fiction or Fantasy book (non-fiction) - The Lord of the Rings: The Official Movie Guide by Brian Sibley
Best Science Fiction or Fantasy author - Terry Pratchett
Best Science Fiction or Fantasy comic book - The Ultimates
SFX Lifetime Achievement Awards - Christopher Lee and James Doohan
Old 10-03-2003, 04:03 PM
Master Fan

Five month hiatus in which there's no science fiction or fantasy news!? I think not...not that I have anything to share either. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Timeline's coming out soon? [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2003, 02:36 PM
jjt
Master Fan

Jeremiah season 2 starts this week .. that's news. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Lets see .. Forever Knight dvd this month .. and Highlander season 3 dvd next month .. and hey all 6 seasons being released before the end of 2004 [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Season 4 in march, season 5 in july and season 6 in nov 2004.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread