New Fan

I think Fantasy is more creative.
~Tinga~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 03:04 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Impatient:
<STRONG>

The thing is, It is the same place... There is a magical "veil" that separates the two worlds. However, everyone in Proton has an "alternate" in Phaze. The chapters alternate between the two realities of this world, and togeher, they make the whole story... There are seven books, starting with Blue Adept and ending in Phaze Doubt.</STRONG>
If it's a magical veil, then ultimately the most powerful force is magic...I guess, unless Proton had a scientific excuse for the veil? [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]
aqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 03:04 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Impatient:
<STRONG>

The thing is, It is the same place... There is a magical "veil" that separates the two worlds. However, everyone in Proton has an "alternate" in Phaze. The chapters alternate between the two realities of this world, and togeher, they make the whole story... There are seven books, starting with Blue Adept and ending in Phaze Doubt.</STRONG>
If it's a magical veil, then ultimately the most powerful force is magic...I guess, unless Proton had a scientific excuse for the veil? [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]
aqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 05:14 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by PassionWagon:
<STRONG>

If it's a magical veil, then ultimately the most powerful force is magic...I guess, unless Proton had a scientific excuse for the veil? [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]</STRONG>
I dunno... It never came up the books... At least, not that I can think of... But, the thing is... It's the same world... There is a counterpart for everyone on each side of the veil... So, maybe there is really no veil at all... Who knows?

I just know it is a great series, and one that I really like.

The series by Piers Anthony with the puns is Xanth...
Old 01-29-2003, 05:14 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by PassionWagon:
<STRONG>

If it's a magical veil, then ultimately the most powerful force is magic...I guess, unless Proton had a scientific excuse for the veil? [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]</STRONG>
I dunno... It never came up the books... At least, not that I can think of... But, the thing is... It's the same world... There is a counterpart for everyone on each side of the veil... So, maybe there is really no veil at all... Who knows?

I just know it is a great series, and one that I really like.

The series by Piers Anthony with the puns is Xanth...
Old 01-29-2003, 06:58 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Little_Fella:
<STRONG>I think Fantasy is more creative.</STRONG>
The nature of the material allows Fantasy to go farther. While SciFi still needs a link to reality to work.

Actually I can't decide. I love both, I enjoy both.
Old 01-29-2003, 06:58 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Little_Fella:
<STRONG>I think Fantasy is more creative.</STRONG>
The nature of the material allows Fantasy to go farther. While SciFi still needs a link to reality to work.

Actually I can't decide. I love both, I enjoy both.
Old 01-29-2003, 07:44 PM
Fan Forum Star

Science Fiction. Fantasy is a relatively late interest, and while I can appreciate it, I don't go out of my way to look for it.
Wild Pikachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 07:44 PM
Fan Forum Star

Science Fiction. Fantasy is a relatively late interest, and while I can appreciate it, I don't go out of my way to look for it.
Wild Pikachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 10:33 PM
Passionate Fan

If we are talking movies...then I would say Sci-Fi and Fantasy are equally entertaining for me. The fantasy genre in movies has only recently made a comeback after lagging behind sci-fi for the last few decades. But as far as books go, I find Fantasy more interesting.

It really depends on what you are in the mood for. Sci-Fi tends to be more mentally challenging, thought-provoking and technically inclined. Fantasy leans more towards being imaginative, atmospheric and emotionally driven.

tSG~
Old 01-29-2003, 10:33 PM
Passionate Fan

If we are talking movies...then I would say Sci-Fi and Fantasy are equally entertaining for me. The fantasy genre in movies has only recently made a comeback after lagging behind sci-fi for the last few decades. But as far as books go, I find Fantasy more interesting.

It really depends on what you are in the mood for. Sci-Fi tends to be more mentally challenging, thought-provoking and technically inclined. Fantasy leans more towards being imaginative, atmospheric and emotionally driven.

tSG~
Old 01-29-2003, 11:12 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by thescoobygang:
<STRONG>It really depends on what you are in the mood for. Sci-Fi tends to be more mentally challenging, thought-provoking and technically inclined. Fantasy leans more towards being imaginative, atmospheric and emotionally driven.
tSG~</STRONG>
In regards to books, a lot of that is the stereotype of what the two genres are about. I've read a lot of fantasy that challenges the mind and a lot of emotionally involved SF. It really depends on the author, not the genre itself.

I don't find science fiction any less creative or imaginative than fantasy. The essential question one asks with both genres is "what if?" and it's just the way one goes about answering that question that makes them separate genres. Magic and technology can both solve the same problems and it's facinating to read a book in which one takes the place of the other. Fancher's Dance of the Rings comes to mind. Instead of using electricity to power and heat homes, they use a magical substance called Leythium.

I love both genres and can't make a choice between them. Both genres have a lot of freedom to examine issues like race, politics, gender, the environment, war, etc. That's what I look for in speculative fiction more than just which genre is on the spine label. I just tend to read more of one or the other at a given time due to what kind of mood I'm in.
Old 01-29-2003, 11:12 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by thescoobygang:
<STRONG>It really depends on what you are in the mood for. Sci-Fi tends to be more mentally challenging, thought-provoking and technically inclined. Fantasy leans more towards being imaginative, atmospheric and emotionally driven.
tSG~</STRONG>
In regards to books, a lot of that is the stereotype of what the two genres are about. I've read a lot of fantasy that challenges the mind and a lot of emotionally involved SF. It really depends on the author, not the genre itself.

I don't find science fiction any less creative or imaginative than fantasy. The essential question one asks with both genres is "what if?" and it's just the way one goes about answering that question that makes them separate genres. Magic and technology can both solve the same problems and it's facinating to read a book in which one takes the place of the other. Fancher's Dance of the Rings comes to mind. Instead of using electricity to power and heat homes, they use a magical substance called Leythium.

I love both genres and can't make a choice between them. Both genres have a lot of freedom to examine issues like race, politics, gender, the environment, war, etc. That's what I look for in speculative fiction more than just which genre is on the spine label. I just tend to read more of one or the other at a given time due to what kind of mood I'm in.
Old 01-30-2003, 06:47 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Soz:

True, today's authors do tend to be more flexible within the genre itself. I should have clarified that my second point was more in reference towards film than books, since most Hollywood SF/F movies (eg. 2001, A.I, Lord of the Rings etc...). are still based on the more traditional concepts of the genre.

As for the comparison on creativity.... well the opinions will always vary from person to person. For me, I find fantasy more imaginative because the artist in me relates to the idea of working with a blank canvas...of having to invent an entire world or reality and then deciding what rules of physics, logic, magic or perception will apply. Rod Serling's Twilight Zone is a perfect example of the innovations of fantasy----having created memorable alternate realities for half hour blocks of time. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]