Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2003, 11:35 AM
Dedicated Fan

Orson Scott Card

Well, I never saw a thread for this topic so I am going to start one now for the subject of my passion in life.

I'm sure that amongst a group of sci fi-loving individuals there will be a good handful of Card readers. Especially considering the sheer amount of work he has out there.

So, lets get this ball rolling. Favorite of his books? [Either the one you love best or one from each category (if you are that well read of his stuff): sci fi, horror/suspense and fantasy.] Favorite character and why? Favorite quote (if you have one)?

I'll start us off.
Fave book-- sci fi no brainer--Ender's Game. Was a total surprise to me how much I fell in love with this book recommended to me by a middle school librarian. But I still call it my favorite book of all time to this day.
horror/suspense This one is really hard. There are two that are up there but I will go with Homebody. In case anyone has not read it, I will not go into details but it told a very unusual and compelling story.
fantasy Enchantment--A perfect blend of fantasy, time travel, comedy and romance. Probably my second favorite book of all time.

Favorite character: Hands down, Jane. I will go into more detail if I get responses but I just think she is a really fascinating and enigmatic character. By virtue of the fact that she exists even though she doesn't really exist. That she evokes vast amounts of love and compassion and tangible relationships despite the fact that her essence, itself, is not tangible.

Quote: I will have to look that one up. There are lots.

Aaaaaaaaaand--GO!
Old 04-22-2003, 11:35 AM
Dedicated Fan

Orson Scott Card

Well, I never saw a thread for this topic so I am going to start one now for the subject of my passion in life.

I'm sure that amongst a group of sci fi-loving individuals there will be a good handful of Card readers. Especially considering the sheer amount of work he has out there.

So, lets get this ball rolling. Favorite of his books? [Either the one you love best or one from each category (if you are that well read of his stuff): sci fi, horror/suspense and fantasy.] Favorite character and why? Favorite quote (if you have one)?

I'll start us off.
Fave book-- sci fi no brainer--Ender's Game. Was a total surprise to me how much I fell in love with this book recommended to me by a middle school librarian. But I still call it my favorite book of all time to this day.
horror/suspense This one is really hard. There are two that are up there but I will go with Homebody. In case anyone has not read it, I will not go into details but it told a very unusual and compelling story.
fantasy Enchantment--A perfect blend of fantasy, time travel, comedy and romance. Probably my second favorite book of all time.

Favorite character: Hands down, Jane. I will go into more detail if I get responses but I just think she is a really fascinating and enigmatic character. By virtue of the fact that she exists even though she doesn't really exist. That she evokes vast amounts of love and compassion and tangible relationships despite the fact that her essence, itself, is not tangible.

Quote: I will have to look that one up. There are lots.

Aaaaaaaaaand--GO!
Old 04-22-2003, 11:47 AM
Master Fan

I think Ender's Game was the best of that series [img]smilies/look.gif[/img] I read most of the next ones, but the one I reread most is the first. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
e. e. cummings - somewhere i have never traveled
elisheva is offline   Reply With Quote
Master Fan

I think Ender's Game was the best of that series [img]smilies/look.gif[/img] I read most of the next ones, but the one I reread most is the first. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Master Fan

Master Fan

Old 04-23-2003, 05:36 AM
Master Fan

I totally enjoy Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow and Xenocide

Lost Boys broke my heart. I like his novels. They're interesting.

I have yet to read his series on Biblical women, but I hope to in the future.

I didn't care for Enchantment. I found it hard to read my way through it.

I also enjoy the first couple of books of his Homecoming series.

I have started Treason. The premise is a bit weird. I also have The Worthing Saga and The Folk on the Fringe on my list to read.
Master Fan

I have started Treason. The premise is a bit weird. I also have The Worthing Saga and The Folk on the Fringe on my list to read.
Master Fan

Master Fan

Old 04-23-2003, 11:08 PM
Master Fan

I liked Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow like stinky pointed out. But the follow ups for both were disappointing b/c they could've been much more.

I actually didn't think much of Jane in Speaker of the Dead. I thought Jane was petty for being cut off from Ender for that short period of time.
yossarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Master Fan

I liked Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow like stinky pointed out. But the follow ups for both were disappointing b/c they could've been much more.

I actually didn't think much of Jane in Speaker of the Dead. I thought Jane was petty for being cut off from Ender for that short period of time.
Master Fan

Master Fan

Old 04-28-2003, 11:30 AM
Dedicated Fan

I liked Jane most of all in Children of the Mind. The story about what happened to her and the thing with young Valentine was just heartbreaking.

For some reason Jane reminds me of Tinkerbell.That tiny little voice sitting on the shoulder of the boy who will never grow up (in in this case, only because we will always remember the young Ender from the first book). Tragically in love with her confidant but never able to be with him because she isn't like him.
Maybe it's just me but I think she is totally cool.