Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2011, 09:11 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
I think the real point is love overcoming difficulties, helping both cross the boundaries of their two largely separate worlds.
There's so much more that can be done with vampire relationships than that. I prefer vampire/vampire relationships because they're more equal and I like to see a couple being vampires together. Like Spike/Dru (from Buffy) and Julian/Lillie (on Kindred). Even Bill/Lorena (True Blood) was interesting. Not actually very equal, because of the Maker-Progeny hierarchy in True Blood, but more interesting than Bill/Sookie by a long ways. She was a passionate, fiery creature of the night, not some bland waitress with pretensions towards being Professor X.

In a vampire/vampire relationship, BOTH characters have the power and fierce nature that goes with being a vampire. That makes it interesting. It's not some helpless waif with her big protective vampire boyfriend. And you can discuss difference, relationship difficulties and crossing boundaries in a story with a vamp/vamp relationship too. It just takes a bit more thought. I've seen so many weak vamp/human relationships, usually pushing aside more interesting vamp/vamp ones. Two classic examples are Julian/Caitlin from Kindred (he memory-wipes her for her own good!) and Nick/Nat from Forever Knight. Both were chosen by the writers over more interesting vamp/vamp relationships (Julian/Lillie and Nick/Janette).

That's not say you can't still get a good vamp/human relationship at times. Jessica/Hoyt from True Blood comes to mind.

Last edited by sum1; 02-15-2011 at 09:28 AM
sum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:57 PM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Emma Watson
Nancy Drew

I'm so glad I found this thread! I'm going to link it in the Television Board Guide.

Thanks!
Old 07-04-2011, 09:01 PM
Fan Forum Star

i'm confused on how this sci fi board works with the tv board? LOL. so sci fi shows cant have a thread at the tv baord anymore?
Alexa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:31 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
There's so much more that can be done with vampire relationships than that. I prefer vampire/vampire relationships because they're more equal and I like to see a couple being vampires together. Like Spike/Dru (from Buffy) and Julian/Lillie (on Kindred). Even Bill/Lorena (True Blood) was interesting. Not actually very equal, because of the Maker-Progeny hierarchy in True Blood, but more interesting than Bill/Sookie by a long ways. She was a passionate, fiery creature of the night, not some bland waitress with pretensions towards being Professor X.

In a vampire/vampire relationship, BOTH characters have the power and fierce nature that goes with being a vampire. That makes it interesting. It's not some helpless waif with her big protective vampire boyfriend. And you can discuss difference, relationship difficulties and crossing boundaries in a story with a vamp/vamp relationship too. It just takes a bit more thought. I've seen so many weak vamp/human relationships, usually pushing aside more interesting vamp/vamp ones. Two classic examples are Julian/Caitlin from Kindred (he memory-wipes her for her own good!) and Nick/Nat from Forever Knight. Both were chosen by the writers over more interesting vamp/vamp relationships (Julian/Lillie and Nick/Janette).

That's not say you can't still get a good vamp/human relationship at times. Jessica/Hoyt from True Blood comes to mind.
Here's a long overdue reply...

I think different natures can be good. And it isn't necessarily about power; the human half of a vampire-human relationship is probably not going to be as powerful in a straight up fight (it's possible with magic etc), but may through intelligence, etc. be an equal partner in saving the world or whatever they're up to. Or just in being young adults trying to figure out their lives, like Jessica and Hoyt.

I do agree on Spike/Dru and Julian/Lillie being very interesting, and in particular that Julian/Lillie would have been a better choice than Julian/Caitlin as the main relationship for that show. Kindred's weakest characters were the humans.

To come back to Moonlight... I think the relationship there straddles the line. I quite like them. There's no question she's a smart, resourceful and independent woman... but the way the relationship goes way back to him saving her as a girl is kinda weird!
AlexEvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:02 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexEvans (View Post)
I think different natures can be good. And it isn't necessarily about power; the human half of a vampire-human relationship is probably not going to be as powerful in a straight up fight (it's possible with magic etc), but may through intelligence, etc. be an equal partner in saving the world or whatever they're up to. Or just in being young adults trying to figure out their lives, like Jessica and Hoyt.
I think people are too obsessed with the idea of love across the vampire-human divide. Attraction of opposites and all that. What about looking at two people together sharing vampireness? That's much more interesting. And whatever way you look at it, there's a fundamental inequality about human/vampire relationships that I'm not comfortable with.

Quote:
I do agree on Spike/Dru and Julian/Lillie being very interesting, and in particular that Julian/Lillie would have been a better choice than Julian/Caitlin as the main relationship for that show. Kindred's weakest characters were the humans.
Yeah, the humans weren't great in Kindred, but Caitlin was the worst. Utterly flat. I could never understand why Julian was so excited about her. Dude, stick with Lillie -there's a real partner.

Quote:
To come back to Moonlight... I think the relationship there straddles the line. I quite like them. There's no question she's a smart, resourceful and independent woman...
Well, of course you like them, you're into Sophia in a big way. I find her a good actress but not very attractive and I didn't find the character very interesting. As for Mick, likable as he is, he's too much the pretty boy who's an unconvincing vampire and an all too harmlessly nice guy. As if he was set up to be the safe dream boyfriend fantasy of a vampire with no unconvenient harshness or danger.

Quote:
but the way the relationship goes way back to him saving her as a girl is kinda weird!
That part didn't feel so good, particularly with him keeping an eye on her since childhood. Stalker? And it's all too much like Angel getting the hots for Buffy when she was 15 and following her to a new town, to get into her pants when she was stil underage two years later.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:01 PM
Fan Forum Legend

The show that introduced us too Alex, and it was brilliant! Was one of the only shows my whole family watched together.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:49 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)
i'm confused on how this sci fi board works with the tv board? LOL. so sci fi shows cant have a thread at the tv baord anymore?
we can how whatever threads we like, even for shows that have a board. That's what's so good about it!
Old 11-11-2016, 06:28 PM
Fan Forum Legend

That's cool!
Old 11-14-2016, 04:36 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♕Misha's Minion♕ (View Post)
The show that introduced us too Alex, and it was brilliant! Was one of the only shows my whole family watched together.
We always looked forward to watching it too. I might have it on DVD. I'll have to go look.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:27 AM
Fan Forum Legend

This was one show that never should have gotten cancelled. I was addicted, in fact my whole family was. Thank god I have the dvd!
Old 01-29-2019, 06:15 AM
Master Fan

Sophia Myles has a small part in A Discovery of Witches. I was happy to see here again.

I haven't watched Moonlight in several years. I may do a rewatch.
Ann357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 06:33 PM
Master Fan

Such a fantastic show and so short-lived! Didn't have a chance to blossom!
B ē tt ⓨ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread