Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2014, 07:30 PM
Master Fan

The Librarians {#1}

A group of librarians set off on adventures in an effort to save mysterious, ancient artifacts.

I really REAALLY wanted to like this show! And there are little parts of it that I really did enjoy. But I have too many issues with some of the writing and the way some of the actors are playing each of the characters. Mainly the top two!

I do not think that Noah Wyle was the best choice as The Librarian. He does have a certain comic timing yet believe-ability. However, he shouldn't oversell it. And he does try too hard. I really wanted to like him. But there are just certain things that he would say or do that just did not seem genuine.

My main issue is Rebecca Romijn. She is THE worst cast as a counter intelligence terrorist agent. I would NEVER believe her as such.

I loved the librarians-in-training! Not superb acting but they amused me. It is like a mixture of Dr. Who and Warehouse 13. However, definitely not as accurate in the things about which they speak. Do the writers not have research people who can actually make it somewhat seem believable?

The villains are not believeable. They have no menace. What makes Dr. Who work is the fact that the villains are actually scary or you believe they are capable of evil. These two do not have that capability.

First off, why would they have Matt Frewer, who is an amazing actor and could be evil no problem, stuck with a heavy accent? Sad sadness.

I think there is a lot of room for work and geling, but I'm hoping they will work it out better.

Biggest pet peeve is how BADLY the action scenes are. If you're going to do them, at least get a decent stunt co-ordinator and people who try a lot harder to make the stunts look real. It just looks like people are half-heartedly trying to kill each other and it's NOT working for the show. It just makes it feel like a hoax. I mean, their ninjas were so SO SOOOOOOOO lame!

The bright light in the show is John Laroquette. His comic timing and yet ability to dive into his character is what will save the show for the first little while. The three new characters will need to pick up the slack to if they want to match his genuiness in living the words the writers give them.

Jake is the strongest. Cassandra is likeable enough. Her synesthsia and the way they write it needs a LOT of work. Ezekiel could be an awesome character, if they would give him more than 'I'M A THIEF' and 'Give me something to steal' idea.

They also need to stop fast-forwarding issues that in real life would be hard to get over. Mainly the fact that Cassandra betrayed the entire team. I understand her motives. I'm sad they made her stupid enough to believe Matt Frewer's character. I would have liked to have that depth with the fact that people would never trust her right away again.

I want them to be intelligent and not just lead around by magic and happenstance.

I'm hoping it will come around and the writers make a larger effort and the actors come into their own.
Damon/Elena Jeremy/Anna TEAM ANNA TEAM DAMON

Last edited by Lutesse; 09-08-2015 at 04:23 PM
Old 12-09-2014, 06:56 AM
Fan Forum Star

Hi jayta! Thanks for starting a thread for this series!

We had intended to watch this but forgot about it last weekend, so plan to see it in the re-airings this Friday. I hope I'll like it better than you did!

p.s. - please be sure to post a link in the Intro/Board Guide at the top when you open a thread for a new topic.

New! Benedict Cumberbatch Forum

~Sherry | avi by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 12-09-2014, 11:27 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Somebody else was talking about this show and I meant to check it out. I'll have to see if it's airing here.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:28 PM
Elite Fan

I actually really loved the show! I love Noah Wyle anyway and thought he was perfect as the mad librarian/scientist type who has been working alone for years......plus, while I've only seen bits of the films, I really liked him there too. All this combined with it being like a new version of warehouse 13 makes me love it
Old 12-09-2014, 04:55 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for the comment, Amber! I'm looking forward to watching the first 3 episodes this weekend!

Old 12-09-2014, 11:08 PM
Master Fan

It's not that I hated it. I just wanted more. And I felt like this show has the potential to be something awesome. I mean the wealth that they can draw on from history and myth and such is almost unending. The fact that the writers try to dumb it down instead of writing witty banter and putting down a good foundation for the characters is what makes me frustrated.

There are so many elements that would make me love it. I just have had issues with how they brought everything about. It's like the actors are trying to portray the characters instead of inhabit them as a part of themselves.

Warehouse 13 worked with the campy and weird and funny because the actors were serious when they delivered their lines. I do not quite get the buy in from the actors yet.

And if you're watching for Noah Wyle, I wouldn't watch this show then. He's not a main character. They are using him as a jumping point from the movie to the pilot show. I think he will be in and out of the show just to anchor it to the back story of the movie.

But it seems the show is about these 3 training to be Librarians.

I am going to give it a couple more episodes but if they keep up the bad fighting from the supposed Guardian who can't fight worth jack ******* then I will probably find myself skipping out on the show sooner than later.

Oh, and hi!
Old 12-10-2014, 01:17 AM
Elite Fan

I must say this is a show I haven't even heard about until this thread... the cast seems good, if nothing else. Might watch the pilot this weekend and see how it is...
Old 12-10-2014, 08:33 AM
Fan Forum Star

Jayta - Constantine almost lost me in the first few episodes, but I'm glad I persevered because it's beginning to realise its potential.
It takes awhile for a new show, writers and cast, to develop a rhythm. I'm glad you're going to give it a little time.

Dan, we'll compare notes after we both watch it.

Old 12-11-2014, 01:37 PM
Elite Fan

I loved the three Librarian movies that Noah did and i am so STOKED there is a series!!! Love Flynn Carson!! LMAO!
Old 12-11-2014, 04:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

Now see, I didn't know there had been movies.

Old 12-11-2014, 05:02 PM
Elite Fan

Quest for the Spear, King Solomon's Mines, and Curse of the Judas Chalice (This one is my fave). They are ALL AWESOME!!!
Old 12-11-2014, 05:49 PM
Master Fan

The thing is that they are using the movies as a base but the show is totally new characters from what I can tell.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:14 AM
Fan Forum Star

We're watching the first hour of this tonight, at 8:00 on the CW channel. Then we'll watch eps 2 & 3 Sunday evening.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:59 PM
Elite Fan

^
I hope you like it!!

Quote:
And if you're watching for Noah Wyle, I wouldn't watch this show then. He's not a main character. They are using him as a jumping point from the movie to the pilot show. I think he will be in and out of the show just to anchor it to the back story of the movie.
Oh I know that He's in 5 episodes this season Since he was filming Falling Skies ay the same time.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:25 PM
Fan Forum Star

Oh, I was going to ask about that! I've only seen promos for Falling Skies, but I was sure it's the same guy and wondered how he could do both.

Closed Thread   Post New Thread